WP video for mirage is too misleading

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Yea, its kind of insulting that he insinuated that mesmer mains weren’t seeing these synergies immediately. The reason we haven’t discussed them though is because they don’t cover up a flawed design.

The synergies he talked about, at least the DE and interruption ones, I tested myself. DE clones don’t get Mirage Cloak on-summon, and interruption traits don’t trigger on a sword clone’s ambush.

So… we’ve discussed them enough.

Yea, I know that. But he hasn’t bothered to even read the mesmer discussions about mirage because he was still asking for people to test these synergies and see if they even work.

Yeah, that probably bothers me the most about it all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: mortrialus.3062

mortrialus.3062

I think getting on WP’s case for not spitting venom at the Mirage is a bit much. And this is coming from one of it’s biggest critics.

We’re talking about a guy who made a video showing off a healing support reaper spec for fun. He’s not the type of person to get supper into balance, metagame and game feel and is more interested in finding weird interesting build cominations.

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

He’s complaining about our feedback, but he hasn’t actually read any real feedback from mesmer players. Its quite evident when he’s asking for clarification on things that we have discussed.

Considering that, I don’t think its rude to be very critical of him over this. I say this as someone that genuinely enjoys his content overall. Its just that he’s being super critical of and mostly dismissing the feedback from actual mesmers, yet he hasn’t even bothered to read through all of it objectively. Hell he hasn’t even bothered to read through it period.

He was still talking about potential synergies as if we hadn’t thought of them immediately. But we did, and tested them, and they don’t even work. Yet he’s still basing his opinion on mirage as if these synergies hold true. Its insulting that he hasn’t bothered to read our feedback, yet still feels the need to complain about it. he doesn’t even understand how the ambushes work with other traits (since they don’t) from core mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I think he is holding out hope that we will somehow find a way to make mirage work if we have a longer period of time to play it and explore every possibility. It was nice that he at least admitted he was wrong about some things and that we mesmer-mains actually have a point. Maybe next time he will spend an hour or two reading threads. It really seems to me like he heard his circle of friends on discord say offhand “hah dude bro, the mesmer forums are on fire lul” and he just assumed that was an accurate picture of events.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

WP is basically Anets marketing arm at this point.

His response to the reaction to Mirage is all you need to know about whether the spec will be worked on.

(edited by Levetty.1279)

in Mesmer

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

WP is a shill for Anet. He has no clue what he’s talking about. He’s garbage at PvP and he’s not a mesmer main.

He doesn’t know anything about core mesmer or its flow and doesn’t realize how trash mirage actually is because he played it for about 30 seconds.

I want mirage to be really good and for it to be viable but having some fat british kid shill for an hour and flat out mislead people on the reality of the elite spec isn’t going to make this happen.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

DE + IH actually works. The spawned clone does Ambush from my tests.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

DE + IH actually works. The spawned clone does Ambush from my tests.

I want to see that. From what I remember, the clone didn’t do it upon spawning. Someone else confirm this?

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

I logged in and did a test specifically of that. Every clone I spawned (with both traits) did an Ambush on spawn. I didn’t record it because my computer has no ram until later this week.

You NEED to have both traits on (obviously) otherwise it won’t work. It doesn’t really justify IH or make it good, by any means, but it was nice to know that the synergy was there.

I probably should have recorded my tests, but I wrote it down in my notes and distinctly remember logging in specifically for that test and then logging off after realizing it worked.

Now, that doesn’t mean that WP is saying accurate things. Most of his talks on Mesmer in his video are entirely conjecture like “it would be cool if they synergized, otherwise it would suck” and “it’s great that they have access to so much endurance regen” (what?) with things like food and guardians traited f2 (what?) and that makes weakness powerful (what?).

Also, Mirage is definitely not the fastest by any means. The Superspeed and Executioner’s Axe Toy combo is only the fastest if you’re in combat, which means that you can’t re-activate the toy because you’re in combat. As such, Engineer is technically faster as they have access to on-demand Superspeed (if they get hit mid-axe) and can just Swiftness the rest of the way, with a leap on Hammer and Rocket Boots.

Outside of abusing Superspeed, you also have Warrior who can stagger Sword 2 or GS3/4 in between uses of the Axe Toy (2s downtime) while maintaining high swiftness uptime. If you don’t want to abuse Exec Axe, then Daredevil is faster by far.

(edited by Esplen.3940)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Not sure if just trolling, but I feel like there might be a little to much shade being thrown. :/

He did an update video and amended his statements to somewhat closer resemble the communities concerns. If he was truly 100% in A-nets pocket and his channel was a ruse, and marketing plot, then I doubt that would ever have happened.

He’s just a youtuber who tries to be diplomatic with his core community, the developers who give media passes, and the games core community.

So he tried to do a showcase, and some of it turned out a little misrepresenting… Well hes not a mesmer main, and majority of his videos are about lore. Any experience with mesmer has likely been “Hey! this build works!” and doesn’t over think it.

Maybe don’t assume bad intentions over ignorance and neglect?

Either way he doesn’t explode my “bias against mes” meter.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

The problem is that he’s become a “pillar of the community”. His core community believes what he says, so if he says that Mirage is OP and the fastest wildest spec in the eastern deserts, as fast as mounts, then people will believe that.

As to whether or not the devs take his opinion into question is completely conjecture on our part, but misrepresentation by ignorance and neglect is worse than no representation.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I don’t recall DE working with IH, but I could have been wrong on that.

And his arguments about mobility are just absurd. We have the highest mobility if we have access to tons of vigor, even though mesmer doesn’t have nearly any sources for it (2 traits related to shattering and a RNG buff from SoI) for endurance in order to use superspeed on executioners axe. In other words, our “highest mobility in the game” depends on a gem store item and other classes/food giving us endurance regen (though newsflash WP, if we are so much faster than them, how are they going to keep up with us and provide vigor…………?). Compare that to a DDs mobility which is entirely self contained, no food/other classes/gem store crap needed, and could still keep up with a mirage if the DD knew what they were doing (and provided they weren’t really fighting, just using initiative for movement). There isn’t a comparison. The quality of DDs mobility blows that of mirage out of the water since it is self contained.

in Mesmer

Daishi.6027

The problem is that he’s become a “pillar of the community”. His core community believes what he says, so if he says that Mirage is OP and the fastest wildest spec in the eastern deserts, as fast as mounts, then people will believe that.

As to whether or not the devs take his opinion into question is completely conjecture on our part, but misrepresentation by ignorance and neglect is worse than no representation.

Is it? If that was the end of it then yeah, maybe.

But I mean… I don’t doubt the damage, however in the end we got a more accurate claim regarding mirage that was broadcasted to those same masses who hang on his word. Shouldn’t there be at least some leeway to redeem or correct a mistake?

He also got a lot more than just mirage wrong, so I think the shade we throw is a bit to indignant, it’s as if he made an intentional slight against only us.
(Plus the claims of him being a shill for A-net are likely wrong.)

I guess you could argue he shouldn’t do coverage if he’s just going to get it wrong? But personally I’d rather some expac content than none at all.

It’s his first time doing this and having early previews from A-net, so maybe he’ll be able to analyze it more critically next time?

Also I wouldn’t put to much stock into that toy axe thing, Even if it worked and if it turned out we were the fastest, it’d be nerfed anyways.

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

But I mean… I don’t doubt the damage, however in the end we got a more accurate claim regarding mirage that was broadcasted to those same masses who hang on his word. Shouldn’t there be at least some leeway to redeem or correct a mistake?

The problem is, not really. All he did was defend himself, try to justify his reasons, and then throw some “hey Mirage at least has these things going for them, maybe” which were all way off course.

He also got a lot more than just mirage wrong, so I think the shade we throw is a bit to indignant, it’s as if he made an intentional slight against only us.

I don’t think how he misrepresents other professions affects or should affect how the Mesmer community reacts to his misrepresentation of them.

I guess you could argue he shouldn’t do coverage if he’s just going to get it wrong? But personally I’d rather some expac content than none at all.

I mean, if you have the opportunity to research and make an informed video about a new topic, you should do so. If there’s a new topic and you don’t know a lot about it, it’s probably better to not go in-depth. I would prefer if you just didn’t make a video, but maybe that’s just me and my general dislike for clickbait (because without depth, that’s what it is).

It’s his first time doing this and having early previews from A-net, so maybe he’ll be able to analyze it more critically next time?

It’s his first time doing what? Making videos about elite specs? Nope, he did that two years ago. Making videos about new content? Nope, he’s been doing that for years.

Also I wouldn’t put to much stock into that toy axe thing, Even if it worked and if it turned out we were the fastest, it’d be nerfed anyways.

It does “work”, but it’s a non-issue whether or not they fix it. Superspeed is as fast as Swiftness OOC. This means that you’re still slower than a Warrior/Engineer/Thief/Ele/Guard that uses the toy axe. Why? Because they can have swiftness and throw in a leap after each use. A Mirage ‘can’ throw in a leap (Sword Ambush) but then they still have to have some Swiftness gen for the axe (since they just wasted their superspeed on a leap).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Not sure if just trolling, but I feel like there might be a little to much shade being thrown. :/

He did an update video and amended his statements to somewhat closer resemble the communities concerns. If he was truly 100% in A-nets pocket and his channel was a ruse, and marketing plot, then I doubt that would ever have happened.

He’s just a youtuber who tries to be diplomatic with his core community, the developers who give media passes, and the games core community.

So he tried to do a showcase, and some of it turned out a little misrepresenting… Well hes not a mesmer main, and majority of his videos are about lore. Any experience with mesmer has likely been “Hey! this build works!” and doesn’t over think it.

His follow up videa was just insulting Mesmer players while spreading more missinformation about Mirage. It made it pretty obvious that he can’t take criticism.

in Mesmer

Daishi.6027

I concede that he didn’t do a very good job, and he should never have made comments regarding balance. There is no problem calling him out on that.

However I still think there is a little to much shade being thrown, but it’s fine I guess, if a bit toxic…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

Does calling out WP in your title get you more views? I would guess so because I really don’t see why else such a pointless topic get this much attention.
This is essentially a bash the famous youtuber topic, it is almost as someone is very angry with something..

Learn to post your own feedback instead of bashing on someone else his feedback, or in this case a presentation…
New people, or returning people watch his video’s because he explains a lot about the class/spec, even if not 100% correct all the time, it gives those viewers a general idea of what is going on.

If you want theorycrafting/pro’s talk about elite specs, then go elsewhere. Just leave WP alone

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

New people, or returning people watch his video’s because he explains a lot about the class/spec, even if not 100% correct all the time, it gives those viewers a general idea of what is going on.

If you want theorycrafting/pro’s talk about elite specs, then go elsewhere. Just leave WP alone

If he was any random person, nobody would really make a fuss. You can see that in all of the videos about Mirage. It’s because he has a following that he should make informed comments instead of stating falsehoods that will get his community to believe him (because the new/returning people haven’t been able to see how things work themselves).

When someone becomes popular, they accept upon themselves a responsibility with their actions. I, personally, don’t care about WP one way or another, but if he makes a misinformed statement, people will believe him. That is a problem, and becomes a much larger issue when you suddenly have people saying that Mirage isn’t bad because WP said so.

Sure, he went out of his way to make a video about the elite specs. That’s great, and I applaud him for that. He definitely didn’t need to and spent effort and time he could have otherwise used to do whatever he does. However, his actual points barely gloss the surface and tend to have no depth. He talks about how good Mirage is while rarely going into why it is good or how. The few times he does delve deep, he’s off the mark.

In his second video, he spent more time defending himself than trying to reason why and how Mirage can be used. Then, when he actually started talking about how they can be used, he references food and traited Guardian F2 to utilize the class mechanic. That, in itself is a problem because we shouldn’t be reliant on food or other classes to play our own spec. The other time he talks about something (without going complete conjecture mode), he ends up being way off the mark and talking about a triviality which he places a significant importance.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

My main concern is – if WP is spreading such a bullcrap about Mesmer – which I play and understand…. what quality of information I am getting from his videos about classes I do not play and therefore have very limited insight about?

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

My main concern is – if WP is spreading such a bullcrap about Mesmer – which I play and understand…. what quality of information I am getting from his videos about classes I do not play and therefore have very limited insight about?

I mean outside his elite spec videos he doesn’t talk that much about balance anyway, and when he does a lot of it is about ele and necro (which I think he plays often, isn’t ele his main?).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

In WPs defence, he is in touch with the community and does express some of the issues in his recap video about his elite spec videos:

He talks about all the elite specs and the disscussions going on and things he missed here and there. Mirage is from 32:06 – 36:40 and he covers some of the main issues people have been complaining about.

Mainly:

- his comments on the condi playstyle of mirage being new
- shatters not interacting well with the class mechanic of phantasms/clones in general
- mirrors being counterintuitive to the entire idea of confusing your enemy when they know exactly where you are going to move to

He has been (and I’m sure will remain) a great source of information and entertaining videos about GW2 lore (if you enjoy his lengthy presentation style) but should be taken with a grain of salt about his balance ideas.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

WP’s video is too influential but he doesn’t understand PvP and WvW meta that well.

So I truly hope he stays away from commenting on the balance there.

He said marauder is useless stats combo while ignoring it being the best one out there for most PvP and WvW power damage builds

He said earth line for ele is useless despite it offers protection on aura which synergies so well with tempest’s 40% damage reduction on protection.

He said dolyak runes are useless despite it being the meta choice for druids for a long time in PvP.

He should really restrict his discussion into PvE. But he still keeps talking about PvP and WvW even though he knew so little about them.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

He should really restrict his discussion into PvE. But he still keeps talking about PvP and WvW even though he knew so little about them.

His PvE discussion isn’t always accurate, either.