Weapon choices in dungeons

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

For the record, this isn’t me just creating a platform to judge everyone, and I’m genuinely just curious to find out peoples’ views.

So I was curious, when you go in to a dungeon, what weapon sets do you use and what sigils? And why do you choose specifically to use them? Do you change weapons throughout a dungeon or do you roll the same two sets?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I know you will hate this, but. I don’t gear up much just for dungeons. I don’t speed run. I don’t retrait. So my focus is being good enough in a dungeon when I come out of WvW.

Full Zerker, sword / focus – sigil of fire, sigil of accuracy, gs (yikes) sigil of generosity.

Usually I will stick to those. I don’t like the focus, but it has too much utility.

The fire sigil on the sword is additional damage. (I also have one with a sigil of force)
The accurracy sigil on the focus is to proc the fire sigil + more crits.
The sigil on the GS is left over from WvW builds, where I wanted to condition dump.

I don’t use bloodlust because I usually don’t get enough stacks. I don’t use battle because I didn’t know about it when getting zerker gear and i’m too cheap to throw away a sword or a sigil. (WvW weapons are knights)

I usually stick to those items. I change around utilities all the time.

But I also use a highly unoptimized 20/20/30/0/0 build, because I’m usually coming from WvW and I don’t retrait.

However, since the change to WvW I’m thinking about getting into dungeons.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Im going more or less like you. but here it goes.
All berserker
Mainhand sword sigil bloodlust and force once stacks
Offhands
sword sigil battle
pistol sigil battle
focus sigil battle
Twohand greatsword sigil strenght

And yes i change all the time, traits included.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I roll with staff/greatsword in world PvE.
I roll with staff/greatsword in dungeon PvE.
I roll with staff/greatsword in solo WvW.
I roll with staff/greatsword in group WvW.
I roll with staff/greatsword in sPvP.
I roll with staff/greatsword in tPvP.

So yeah, I sort of roll the same weapon set :p

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

For the record, this isn’t me just creating a platform to judge everyone, and I’m genuinely just curious to find out peoples’ views.

So I was curious, when you go in to a dungeon, what weapon sets do you use and what sigils? And why do you choose specifically to use them? Do you change weapons throughout a dungeon or do you roll the same two sets?

Sword/Focus and GS.
Full Zerk.
Bloodlust sigils.

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

@Ryn, Dawdler, DeathPanel

No clarification on why you make those choices?

Also, how many people swap in/out traits during a dungeon? I’m too lazy to do it myself though I probably should start.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Also, how many people swap in/out traits during a dungeon? I’m too lazy to do it myself though I probably should start.

Pretty straight forward. Those choices result in the high dps where the sword/focus and GS gives flexibility with melee and range for all sorts of encounters.

DPS makes dungeons end sooner so it’s always helpful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

All. I’m not even kidding. I carry and equip whatever weapon will be beneficial the most. Generally though, I end up using sword/pistol sword/focus with 0/20/0/25/25. Using battle sigil on sword and perception on offhand.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gizuko.5734

Gizuko.5734

Same here, 0/20/0/25/25 S/P, S/F. Full zerker with some Rabid ascended items mixed in (necklace, ring), due to the fact that I have nothing to switch them with and I’m still getting gear (I run condi mesmer on wvw, so I have a lot of rabid gear). Also working on sigils, but will probably get Night on sword and battle on OH (already have one on the focus), possibly getting bloodlust in the future.

I also get OH sword when there are few proyectiles and there is no need for AoE damage.

I do switch utils, weapons and traits, depending how well my group is doing and what we lack. A few days ago I was fored to get some heals going in through mantras in CoE, for example. My dps dropped, but so did the boss’ hp, so I always switch when needed.

For the record, traits I usually rotate between are mostly in the inspiration line (%glamour, longer glamour, condi on heal, restor. mantras, %focus…).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

most time i use Sword&Fokus / Staff but lately i try to run “different” builds that do dmg and also support my group (most time with bountiful interruption) for this i take a gs instead of a staff. i’m still testing how i can combine support and damage to the max.

today i ran with sword&sword / gs or staff with a spec for triplecast mantra and bountiful interruption

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: JKwervo.7852

JKwervo.7852

I hate retraiting. So I run whatever I run in WvW, in dungeons. Staff/scepter+torch or Staff/Sword+pistol or Staff/Sword+focus.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Offhand torch and nothing else.

in Mesmer

Dawdler.8521

Because why not? I dont min/max stuff or speedrun. I bring the brain, not the stats.

I used to be a reflective sword/focus person, but tbh I found it increasingly boring and frustrating. Illusionary leap is never going to be fixed and melee is a snoozefest in dungeons. I made a choice to quicken the pace of my gameplay by taking the greatsword. Its not a perfect weapon, but its viable anywhere – good skillset (except 3) and constant ranged pressure.

I opted to stay with staff/greatsword in all game areas, working around “issues” the swap caused. Mourning the loss of reflective focus, I replaced it with healing mantras instead. This in turn gave me the option to choose centaur runes for perma-swiftness, which increase my WvW solo/small group power by alot. It doesnt hurt in a dungeon either.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Depends on the group.

If it can handle itself ill go knight head/shoulder/coat/skirt, rest berserker.
I carry: super sword of fire, winter’s slice of perception, pact pistol(but im going to buy a new one soon), super staff of battle, zenith avenger of fire, the anomaly of battle, fractal torch of force… I think thats everything!

I have a mainhand sword equipped most of the time, and i run 10/10/20/30. A phantasm build that doubles as a boon support build if needed.

I usually run healing mantras, so i have something to do if i cant melee a boss for a while, with mantra of pain and recovery.

I swap traits, weapons and gear for nearly every encounter, I carry a full berserker set and clerics too. Also cavalier/knights trinkets if i want to go half berserker/half toughness.

I think I got everything now :P

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valarauka.2719

Valarauka.2719

10/30/0/30/0, berserker/ruby. Generally Sword(force)/Focus(perception) + GS(fire), switch to sword(battle)/sword(force)+pistol(accuracy) for bosses. I carry a staff(energy), torch, and scepter too but only pull them out in WvW sometimes.
Sigil choices should be fairly self-explanatory.

Trait-wise, I run pistol+focus+sword traits, swapping pistol trait to Deceptive Evasion or Blink range if needed and I don’t have the pistol on. I switch focus trait to phant HP or glamor CD when I swap out the focus.

I also usually run Medic’s Feedback on the first Inspiration slot when I’m running with a group, or Mender’s Purity when solo.

Gate of Madness :: [LIVE] :: [OMFG]
Fiona Oberyn :: Mesmer ~ Valthaniel :: Guardian

(edited by Valarauka.2719)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

In dungeons, I will have with me 2 swords, focus, pistol, torch, greatsword, and staff.

Torch is only for utility.

Staff is only for boss fights where my team can maintain >7 conditions on the target at all times.

Greatsword + sword/focus is my trash set. The mobs get pulled, you hit 2, 3, 4 on the greatsword, swap to focus, spawn warden, blurred frenzy, and everything dies.

On boss fights, I’ll only use greatsword if range is necessary. Fights like this are the grawl shaman, legendary grawl shaman, lupicus, the ascalonian fractal boss, and some more that I can’t think of right now.

On most boss fights, I’ll use some combination of 2 swords, pistol, and focus. I’ll use focus if there are lots of adds (legendary grawl shaman) or if projectile reflection is required. Otherwise, I’ll use sword/pistol and sword/sword.

I have bloodlust on one sword and energy on the other. I think my pistol and greatsword both have air sigils, and my focus has hydromancy (holdover from when it was used in my immortal build). Staff also has energy. My sigils are mainly what they are because of using these weapons for PvP, and I just use them for PvE as well.

As an interesting aside, confusing images has a higher cumulative damage coefficient than blurred frenzy does.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If i can choose only 3:

GS, Sword, Focus….

Then in following order i add:

Pistol
Sword N2

Then
Torch (for skipping only :/)

Finally if i still can have more:
Staff
Scepter

In dungeons i continually change weaponsets.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Honestly, I have not been in one of the standard dungeons for over half a year. Personally I think those instances are the weakest point of GW2. If I wanted a dungeon crawler, other mmo’s are far superior…

If I would go for a run, I would just take all the weapons I have in my inventory anyways with me (a fairly big selection).

But for the record:

GS and Sword/Focus most of the time. It would be a random PUG anyway, I wouldn’t expect heavy melee stacking. Those dungeons are always the same, and I am not in a rush when I finally find time for playing the game.

I could switch to a pure melee setup, but why bother.
All items Berserker, ain’t nobody got time for something else.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Scepter/Pistol and Staff.

Why? Because I run Blackwater for PvP, and I don’t want to retrait just for the odd dungeon run. So I swap traits to get more shatter traits, get Bountiful Interruption, and switch to Pistol for more interrupts (or offhand Sword for those times where the extra block can be awesome. ).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

Are you serious? Yoy guys dont retrait cause you are lazy? I dont mind spend all time needed in a dungeon but not for people who is so selfish and dont have any kind of considetation for other people time. RETRAIT IS EASY FAST AND CHEAP. Think in someone else beyond you please.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

Yeah, some of us are lazy. That’s why I leveled a second mesmer :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Are you serious? Yoy guys dont retrait cause you are lazy? I dont mind spend all time needed in a dungeon but not for people who is so selfish and dont have any kind of considetation for other people time. RETRAIT IS EASY FAST AND CHEAP. Think in someone else beyond you please.

Going to have to second this. Put in the 30 seconds of effort to have a not half slapped together sorta working PvE build.

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

You are not lazy for level (why???) a second mesmer , and your are lazy for retrait. Point is?

Anyway, I always wanted a “retraiter” in front each dungeon door.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

Btw, I have a dungeon build I retrait to if I ever enter a dungeon (phantasm build). Retraiting is cheap, fast and a must for a teamplayer.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

You are not lazy for level (why???) a second mesmer , and your are lazy for retrait. Point is?

Anyway, I always wanted a “retraiter” in front each dungeon door.

Leveled 1 to 80 by swapping to him at the end of dungeons for the reward (CM/CoE)

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

I’m redoing the gear of my Mes (need more e-kitten worthy stuff), so atm don’t have my hands on everything, but:

General DG, pugging: Sw/F + Staff. I prefer to have a “Oh crap” defensive weapon like Staff when pugging with strangers.
DG with buddies: Sw/F + Sw/x. Usually OH Sword.

I always swap out utilities, traits and weapons troughout a dg, even every single boss encouter if needed.

Also, adapt the choices to the party composition.

As far as sigil goes, Bloodlust on a off-hand (focus) and Battle/Strenght on the MH shared Sword for some might – especially if you’re not running with a 25 might stacking party. In that case, Force would be my choice.
Other weapons (2 other OH weapons, Staff and GS), pretty much whatever you prefer.

The only weapons i almost do not use are scepter, GS and torch, except situations where they’re strictly needed.

Ofc, Zerker armor and trinteks, 0/20/0/25/25 or something like that.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

As far as sigil goes, Bloodlust on a off-hand (focus)

The problem that I had is that I was afraid of swaping weapons, so I end up putting bloodlust on main-hand and battles in off-hands (so I can swap on cooldown getting might and bloodlust’ stacks).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Full Zerk, but carrying all the weapons with me. I choose the weapon according to what I need. But normally I use Sword / Focus with a Staff, or Sword / Focus with Sword / Sword.

Running 20/20/0/30/0 for utility and damage. But at this point I’ve got a question: Many here seem to be running 0/20/0/25/25. Why? What do you guys pick at “Illusions”? The only useful thing is the 25 passive it seems, but thats not worth 25 points if you ask me :o So tell me plz

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

Illusions number III (more damage for you) and number X (more attack speed for your phantasms).

Try it, you will notice the difference.

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Wiki and builder are blocked where I am atm :P Can you copypaste me the description? :O would be awesome!

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Mesmer

AndrewSX.3794

As far as sigil goes, Bloodlust on a off-hand (focus)

The problem that I had is that I was afraid of swaping weapons, so I end up putting bloodlust on main-hand and battles in off-hands (so I can swap on cooldown getting might and bloodlust’ stacks).

There isn’t much difference at the end of the day – the main point is that if you have Battle on the shared weapon you’ll get it proccing swapping on both sets. That’s like double the amount of might compared to putting it only on the off-hand. Sure, you can put a sigil of battle on every off hand and bloodlust on shared sword tho.

It’s just matter of preference imo.

in Mesmer

Dawdler.8521

Btw, I have a dungeon build I retrait to if I ever enter a dungeon (phantasm build). Retraiting is cheap, fast and a must for a teamplayer.

Which would imply that you normally run a selfish non-teamplayer build? You never run around with other players outside dungeons? Always solo in WvW? Sounds dreadfully boring :/

Maybe its just me, but I always run a build that can support a group. Sometimes I boost my damage by equipping a berserker set and sometimes I boost my survivability by using more PVT. Just as it is for me, its probably a reason why people dont respec/retrait that often – having a good base build that can be modified with gear is easier and much faster (albeit more costly).

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

3% more damage  for each of your activeillusions .

Phantasms  recharge  20% faster.

From cell phone thats the best i can do for you atm

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

AndrewSX, its me or if the mob die when you have the offand without bloodlust you dont gwt the charge

in Mesmer

AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX, its me or if the mob die when you have the offand without bloodlust you dont gwt the charge

Yes, that’s how it works.

Swap to off hand with bloodlust sigil when killing stuff – problem solved.

I don’t really see the issue, tbh.

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

Not big deal, true.

in Mesmer

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

Sword/Sword and Sword/Focus.

Focus for the pull and warden for AoE/Reflects, Sword for the highest single target damage and free evade on sword 4.

Sigil of night or bloodlust on MH sword, Sigil of [Dungeon] on both offhands to maximize DPS

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

in Mesmer

Posted by: JKwervo.7852

JKwervo.7852

Which would imply that you normally run a selfish non-teamplayer build? You never run around with other players outside dungeons? Always solo in WvW? Sounds dreadfully boring :/

Maybe its just me, but I always run a build that can support a group. Sometimes I boost my damage by equipping a berserker set and sometimes I boost my survivability by using more PVT. Just as it is for me, its probably a reason why people dont respec/retrait that often – having a good base build that can be modified with gear is easier and much faster (albeit more costly).

You ain’t the only one. Retraiting is annoying as hell.

in Mesmer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I swap constantly on other classes but my mesmer always has sword/focus sword/sword equipped. Dont need any ranged weapons and i prefer offhand sword to pistol. I will occasionally swap for pistol on Bjarl in CoE though. If i do ever need to range something ill take scepter, but that would be on a very select few encounters in fractals which I dont do anymore and I dont take my mesmer into anyway.

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Thats why you put the anyway expensive bloodlust into the main weapon. After your 25 stacks you can switch it with a +5% damage sigill. It would be a bit silly to buy all offhands twice. At least for me, since I choose to play with all the weapons in our pull and take according to the situation. If you switch to another weapon the bloodlust still stays active (until down).

So … at 0/20/0/25/25 you spend 25 points for 25% faster phantasm attacks, 20% less CD for illusion Skills and crappy 0-9% additional damage that doesn’t transfer to the illusions and phantasms instead of 200 Power wich is more than 9% additional damage AND transfers to Illusion aswell +15% damage for phantasms (instead of 25% more attack speed) plus in the end you can choose another glamour / reflection passive? Also the stats you gain are totally wasted since don’t even shatter phantasms. >.< Uhm … I definitly stay at 20/20/0/30/0.

in Mesmer

Ryn.6459

Yes. While I agree with 9% Vs 200 power; the 20% less CD and 20% faster attacks, allows you to have 100% reflects uptime and 3 phantasm up anytime.

10/30/0/30/0 is a good setup also. Only problema is that you have a lower rump up phantasm setting and more trobles resummoning them.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

Open world I run shatter (mostly Lazy Kai’s Build), it’s just the best way for open world in general, IMHO. For dungeons I prefer phantasm builds.
So I retrait. I have a hard time to see how you can have a hard time to understand that.

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

So … at 0/20/0/25/25 you spend 25 points for 25% faster phantasm attacks, 20% less CD for illusion Skills and crappy 0-9% additional damage that doesn’t transfer to the illusions and phantasms instead of 200 Power wich is more than 9% additional damage AND transfers to Illusion aswell +15% damage for phantasms (instead of 25% more attack speed) plus in the end you can choose another glamour / reflection passive? Also the stats you gain are totally wasted since don’t even shatter phantasms. >.< Uhm … I definitly stay at 20/20/0/30/0.

Basically, you give up slightly harder hitting phantasms in return for more consistency with faster phantasm cooldown and recharge. The increased frequency of attacks makes up for the DPS drop too.

Compounding power also makes projectiles you reflect deal 9%+ damage if you have 3 illusions out, in addition to your own weapon damage being increased.

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Sword/Focus + GS

I have all three weapons traited in a 20/20/0/30/0 build. Traited focus is simply amazing in some situations. It makes me smile — often.

My gear is built around high power, crit chance, and crit dmg. These weapons suit that build nicely.

I use the Sword/Focus unless I want range at which point I switch to GS. I’ll also use GS if I’m far away while closing the gap (if not using blink and too far away for sword 3 which is a horrible gap closer).

EDIT: GS is only for range — using GS at less than 900m is really poor DPS — however if you need a knockback or want another phantasm it would be ok for a quick switch at close range. I wouldn’t stay in GS at less than 900m if it can be avoided.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

(edited by juno.1840)

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

No. This is completely wrong. Whether or not something else is optimal, I’m use to my WvW build. I’m in WvW 70+% of the time. My build affects how I play at a fundamental muscle memory level. For me, 20/20/30/0/0 is a tanky build. I get use to being willing to take a couple of hits (not a ton, and I’m usually one of the last men standing if my group gets wiped, so it’s all good in WvW).

If I suddenly switch to a build with no toughness, I’m going to go down until I adjust to the new situation. No party should want me to do that for the occasional dungeon run.

Were I to dedicate myself to speed clears and dungeon running then I would retrait and get use to the new build.

On a side point. I think you may have better success if you rephrase your point. For example, if you tell me to do something I instinctively say no. On the other hand, if you had said. “Why don’t you retrait? It only takes a couple of minutes and you’ll be much more effective in a dungeon.” Then we may have a discussion about why I don’t retrait and usually, I don’t run dungeons unless there is a guild chat call for them, in which case I’m usually in a hurry because I don’t want to keep my guildmates waiting, and as I said, suddenly changing from a tanky build to a completely glass build is difficult for me, and….

And you may even have suggestions about how I could deal with it and be a better player.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

If I’m with my Guild? Some combination of Staff/Sword/Focus/Pistol
Pugging? GS for crap mobs/room clears, S/P and S/F.
Usual Traits: 0/20/30/0/20, gives me the ability to go either heavy Interrupt, Stealth or self-defense as needed. Of course, I carry 3 different sets of armor around, and run Celestial trinkets. That way, I can handle multiple roles if necessary.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

-Wall’O’Text of us :P-

Slightly? 200 Power and 15% damage is much more than 25% more attack speed. Espcially if you think in practice, when often a phantasm somewhere gets destroyed a few seconds after summoned -> if it only lives for a single attack. But then you will have better resummoning with the X/X/X/X/25 true … hm.

What me also gusta is the vournability you can stack with 20/X/X/X/X. Especially with Staff or/and Pistol / Sword. Therefore (If i remember right) conditions last longer with these 20 points. 20% longer vournability and bleeding dealt with phantasms will not only increase your damage, it also supports the team. Only one interrupption will give you a passive damage boost, bigger than everything else (since the whole team deals more damage).

I can’t say it often enough – you should never forget about the passive damage somone can deal. That’s why I personally think the engineer is very underrated by increasing the direct damage of everyone by 20% permanently (grenades).

The reflection thing is correct since (I guess) power doenst affect reflected stuff, but those 9% will. But vournability also should, right? Also (I never kept an eye on this) if I reflect something that does some conditions, will the enemy recive them too? Or just the direct damage?

Sry for Wall’O’Text >.<

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

For dungeons,

0/20/0/25/25
Full Zerk (ruby orbs)
sword/focus + sword/pistol or sword/sword
GS for those rare fights where you must have some ranged or where I am not so familiar with the fight.

I would love to see a thread with tactics on certain bosses (dungeons and fractals).

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

-Wall’O’Text of us :P-

Slightly? 200 Power and 15% damage is much more than 25% more attack speed. Espcially if you think in practice, when often a phantasm somewhere gets destroyed a few seconds after summoned -> if it only lives for a single attack. But then you will have better resummoning with the X/X/X/X/25 true … hm.

What me also gusta is the vournability you can stack with 20/X/X/X/X. Especially with Staff or/and Pistol / Sword. Therefore (If i remember right) conditions last longer with these 20 points. 20% longer vournability and bleeding dealt with phantasms will not only increase your damage, it also supports the team. Only one interrupption will give you a passive damage boost, bigger than everything else (since the whole team deals more damage).

I can’t say it often enough – you should never forget about the passive damage somone can deal. That’s why I personally think the engineer is very underrated by increasing the direct damage of everyone by 20% permanently (grenades).

The reflection thing is correct since (I guess) power doenst affect reflected stuff, but those 9% will. But vournability also should, right? Also (I never kept an eye on this) if I reflect something that does some conditions, will the enemy recive them too? Or just the direct damage?

Sry for Wall’O’Text >.<

200 power is not worth 9% damage. It is at best worth 6% or so. 25 in Illusions is way more useful than 20 in Zeal or whatever that first trait line was called. By dropping the 20 in Zeal and the last 5 in Inspirations, you lose:

1) 15% illusion damage
2) Approximately 6% damage from power
3) One Inspiration trait and one Zeal trait, both of questionable value

Your phantasms will deal less per hit as a result since they are losing about 20% damage, but your own DPS increase will offset that. Moreover, since in practice you will get more phantasms up faster, and they will attack at a faster rate, your phantasms’ overall DPS will increase, especially if they are getting killed by boss AOEs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bumbler.7581

Bumbler.7581

I change weapon sets and re-trait (though full Zerk everything with ruby orbs, with the occasional piece of assassins) based on whether I am doing fractals or dungeons. Although, I do carry one of each weapon as each serves a purpose somewhere (except for maybe scepter).

Dungeons: 10/30/0/30/0 and run sword/pistol and sword/(focus or sword). I run sigils of battle on swords, perception/accuracy on off-hands. These allow me to maximize my crit damage as I am not always in a fully optimized group. The only time I pull out my GS in dungeons is pugging lupi, unless the group says they want to melee. I’ll use the torch and staff for running phases.

Fractals: 0/20/0/25/25 and run sword/(focus or pistol) and GS. I run a sigil of battle on the sword, a sigil of perception/accuracy on off-hand, and a sigil of energy on the GS. The energy sigil gives me an escape when I need it and the build allows me to maximize my personal reflect uptime. I swap out the focus for pistol depending on the fight. I like to troll scepter on mossman in guild runs for fun since it’s the only MH weapon I have found in fractals….so many off-hands!

In Chancery (Jade Quarry, NA) – The Instance Mesmer
#readingLFGisOP #savethewarden
#wallsfixdungeons