Welcome mesmers the OP-amancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: xXMapcoXx.9614

xXMapcoXx.9614

Hahah, I’m jk. I do not play mesmer at all so I wanted to get the people who play mesmer to share how they feel about their elite profession. Is it useful? Are you happy about it? Is the shield what you wanted? leave your thoughts below let me know. Like I said I have never played a mesmer so I have no idea if the changes are want you wanted or if you were expecting something more.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

+ It sounds fun.

? We don’t know nothing more.

Will it be strong / useful / useless / be played at all? Wait till we get more infos. The cooldowns could be horrendous. The traits could be weak…

Maybe in tomorrows POI-Show we’ll get more infos.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in Mesmer

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I really hope I still get access to greatsword, f5 off a cliff then f5 right back up and greatsword 5 those poor saps off a cliff that wondering over.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I don’t know whether I will enjoy it as much as some other builds – the biggest conundrum is weapon choice – because I love both staff and focus for crowd control and will have to lose one in order to use the shield… I would so love to have focus in one hand and shield in the other, with some staff/scepter type auto attack.

Second thing is I’m not a huge fan of having loads of ground targeted skills – so for that reason I may not want to go fully into the new spec.

Third thing is it’s hard to choose what traitline to drop to pick up the elite spec trait line – until we see the details of the traits there’s no way to know.

I would like to make a potent condition/control build, and the new effects certainly look to be useful for that – however choosing exactly what to use based on both fun and effectiveness won’t be easy.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

I have always been hoping to see this kind of wacky/tricky magical class for a VERY long time. Played Allods some time ago and psi is a really goid example of what I expect mesmer to be. Every changes/addition so far is gearing mes into that direction. I’m very excited for this.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Capricorn XI.4390

Capricorn XI.4390

I don’t know whether I will enjoy it as much as some other builds – the biggest conundrum is weapon choice – because I love both staff and focus for crowd control and will have to lose one in order to use the shield… I would so love to have focus in one hand and shield in the other, with some staff/scepter type auto attack.

You’re not forced to use a shield. You just now have the option to have one. I may actually just use GS/Sw+P and forgo a shield altogether.

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

You’re not forced to use a shield. You just now have the option to have one. I may actually just use GS/Sw+P and forgo a shield altogether.

Oh I know – it’s not about that at all, it’s that I would like to have Tides of Time in addition to Temporal Curtain, iWarden, Chaos Storm and Phase Retreat.

At this moment I don’t know whether I will prefer shield to focus or not, but my preference is Staff + Scepter/Focus at this moment.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Omnio.3652

Omnio.3652

Seems interesting, that is all I can say so far based on the information we have. But also makes me worried. Why is that? Well if mesmer gets these cool things what other classes get? What will be worst than turretier? Lets wait and find out.

Was he swedish?
Yes.
A moose. It was a moose.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Korusef.3714

Korusef.3714

From what they said the Shield might be actually better for Zerg tagging than any other weapon at our disposal right now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

It is useful. I’m not happy about it at all. I probably won’t use the shield at all.

I am firmly in the camp of people that wanted main hand pistol and as far as I’m concerned, ANet just gave me the middle finger.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

From what they said the Shield might be actually better for Zerg tagging than any other weapon at our disposal right now.

Maybe.

Chaos storm base cd = 35s.

Normally, you can phase retreat once through a chaos storm. If you have the staff trait and alacrity, you will be able to do it twice.

Chaos storm —> phase retreat (5s CA) —> phase retreat (5s CA) —> Chaos armor skill (5s CA).

While under the effect of chaos armor, chaos storm at a rate of 2.75 (1s + 35s*.05) seconds per second. This means chaos storm will recharge in 12.72 seconds. At this point you can restart the combo from the top.

12.72s chaos storms are going to be pretty handy for tagging too. I’m thinking sword/shield + staff. Dom, Chaos, Chrono. Wells, Interrupts, alacrity, slow, quickness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

The new skills sound interesting, but how long is the well cooldowns 2-3mins?
I already have a tough time choosing any skills over blink decoy and a condi removal.
Traits we don’t know yet.
I don’t want a shield and I would guess a lot of others don’t either, we have torch, focus, sword, and pistol for off hand and I’m sure many already juggle multiples of those depending on the situations. Sounds like the shield would be useful in a zerg fight though that’s for sure. It should have been a 1H.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in Mesmer

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

I really hope I still get access to greatsword, f5 off a cliff then f5 right back up and greatsword 5 those poor saps off a cliff that wondering over.

you don’t lose anything. you choose chronomancer for the elite specialization slot. then you can still choose any 2 of the other 5 specializations for the other 2 slots. as for weapons, you can still choose any weapon from the core class.

PS. F5ing like that looks like fun…

– The Baconnaire

in Mesmer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Second thing is I’m not a huge fan of having loads of ground targeted skills – so for that reason I may not want to go fully into the new spec.

Third thing is it’s hard to choose what traitline to drop to pick up the elite spec trait line – until we see the details of the traits there’s no way to know.

I would like to make a potent condition/control build, and the new effects certainly look to be useful for that – however choosing exactly what to use based on both fun and effectiveness won’t be easy.

I believe Elite Specials dont require you to use shield at all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: CobraPolo.1723

CobraPolo.1723

sword/shield + staff. Dom, Chaos, Chrono. Wells, Interrupts, alacrity, slow, quickness.

Think i’m on the same page, been thinking about it all day and originally went from Sword/Shield + Scepter/Torch to Sword/Shield + Staff.

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

I believe Elite Specials dont require you to use shield at all.

Read my reply to the other person who stated this higher up – I’ve already answered that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

12.72s chaos storms are going to be pretty handy for tagging too. I’m thinking sword/shield + staff. Dom, Chaos, Chrono. Wells, Interrupts, alacrity, slow, quickness.

That’s where I went too.

Why? If you’re gonna run a build loaded up with chrono well goodies, the defensive qualities of the staff are what’s going to hold the whole thing up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

I Love what they did with Chronomancer. It seems like another creative class with heavy support. And when i say creative, i mean that the playstyle itself, you can get creative with how you fight.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Maybe.

Normally, you can phase retreat once through a chaos storm. If you have the staff trait and alacrity, you will be able to do it twice.

Chaos storm —> phase retreat (5s CA) --> phase retreat (5s CA) —> Chaos armor skill (5s CA).

While under the effect of chaos armor, chaos storm at a rate of 2.75 (1s + 35s*.05) seconds per second. This means chaos storm will recharge in 12.72 seconds. At this point you can restart the combo from the top.

where did you get the number for alacrity?
With stafftrait+CA Phase Retreat only recharges in 7.5s. how can you be sure that alacrity lowers the cd to <5s?

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Maybe.

Chaos storm —> phase retreat (5s CA) --> phase retreat (5s CA) —> Chaos armor skill (5s CA).

With stafftrait+CA Phase Retreat only recharges in 7.5s. how can you be sure that alacrity lowers the cd to <5s?

IC drops phase retreat to 8s, CA drops it to 5.5. I’m just assuming alacrity is enough to take off the last tiny bit.

Edit: Oh, but in that setup, you wouldn’t have IC of course. Instead of IC, you’d just rely on other mesmers nearby. If everyone is dropping ethereal fields, it shoudl be fairly easy to maintain close to 100% uptime on chaos armor.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

Maybe.

IC drops phase retreat to 8s, CA drops it to 5.5. I’m just assuming alacrity is enough to take off the last tiny bit.

Edit: Oh, but in that setup, you wouldn’t have IC of course. Instead of IC, you’d just rely on other mesmers nearby. If everyone is dropping ethereal fields, it shoudl be fairly easy to maintain close to 100% uptime on chaos armor.

Thanks for clarification Was confused cuz of Dom/Cha/Chr

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vortok.6975

Vortok.6975

F5 = Spectral walk from necromancer. I don’t like to share a specific skills like this one rather than a type like wells. Thanks Robert Gee. /sarcasm

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

F5 = Spectral walk from necromancer. I don’t like to share a specific skills like this one rather than a type like wells. Thanks Robert Gee. /sarcasm

Yes, f5 is so similar to spectral walk. Spectral walk totally affects your cooldowns and health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

IIRC they did say Alacrity would essentially be the reverse of Chill, so it would make sense that it decreased CDs by 66% for the duration of Alacrity. So it would make Phase Retreat have a CD of around 2-3 seconds if traited and under the effects of Alacrity.

Also, seriously laughed at comparing Continuum Shift to Spectral Walk. The only thing they have in common is resetting your position. Necros would probably kill, raise from the dead and kill again to make Spectral Walk reset HP, Coodldowns, endurance and life force.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

Isn’t 66% a bit too powerful? o.O

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

I’m just getting 66% off this bit here : “Alacrity functions as the inverse of chill by speeding up skill recharges rather than slowing them down.”. It could be anything, but I’m just gonna assume it’ll be 66% but have short durations of like 3 seconds max as that seems to be how mesmers apply special buffs, in quick, short durations, reapplied rapidly.

As for 66% being OP, hard to tell without actually being able to playtest it. Mesmers have a really complicated playstyle and it’ll be hard to provide a definite answer just off speculation. Also since 66% is just an assumption on my part, no real point to argue whether it could hypothetically be OP :P

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I’m just getting 66% off this bit here : “Alacrity functions as the inverse of chill by speeding up skill recharges rather than slowing them down.”. It could be anything, but I’m just gonna assume it’ll be 66% but have short durations of like 3 seconds max as that seems to be how mesmers apply special buffs, in quick, short durations, reapplied rapidly.

As for 66% being OP, hard to tell without actually being able to playtest it. Mesmers have a really complicated playstyle and it’ll be hard to provide a definite answer just off speculation. Also since 66% is just an assumption on my part, no real point to argue whether it could hypothetically be OP :P

Also depends heavily on durations. The actual amount reduced is going to depend on how long you’ve got the buff for, so short duration means effectively less cooldown.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

I’d say it’s 40% reduction.
1.66…*0.6=1
That would make both negate each other.

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

really depends on how much access we have to it and for how long it lasts…

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Why? If you’re gonna run a build loaded up with chrono well goodies, the defensive qualities of the staff are what’s going to hold the whole thing up.

A staff in Ross Biddle’s hands? Now I know he’s trolling.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

thieves probably will able to steal alacrity, then we are back to where we were again, dead to even faster thief attacks.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

thieves probably will able to steal alacrity, then we are back to where we were again, dead to even faster thief attacks.

you mean quickness right?

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

really depends on how much access we have to it and for how long it lasts…

For starters, a minor trait of the elite spec trait line gives you alacrity every time you shatter.

I say that’s pretty accessible.

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Alacrity might end up being a boon. Lets hope its not the case.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

“a new effect called alacrity”
They’d write “a new boon” if it’d be a boon.

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

“a new effect called alacrity”
They’d write “a new boon” if it’d be a boon.

Sry, I kinda skipped over that. Hopefully it stays that way =P