What exactly is wrong with the base mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: GalloY.9640

GalloY.9640

This is a discussion thread more than anything as i think there has been a lot of talk recently about the problems with the base mesmer in relation to adding elite specs.

What do you think makes the base mesmer a bit dodgy when it comes to adding Elite Specs to the equation?

I personally think the Mesmer has a lack of direction I.E. Mesmers already have a Thief vibe with Stealth/Clones/Distortion and i think the Mirage is just presenting more of the same.

I also think Shattering is a huge factor to this, as it’s original implementation didn’t allow for any flexibility with additions. I don’t know how popular this opinion is but i really think Phantasms should have been F abilities as having them tied into weapon sets make it probably one of the most woven in profession mechanics. You can manipulate F abilities without effecting weapon sets and i think that the biggest flaw in the mesmer’s design.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You know that problem with Scrappers? The one about, uhh…

Jack of all trades, master of none

That was Mesmer before HoT hit. That is base Mesmer. We can do everything anyone can do, but not better (although we used to be the master of Quickness, wayyyyy back when). Our class mechanics are all over the place, supposedly to allow variety in playstyle, but in application they tend to mash over each other (Phantasms = Sustained Damage, Clones = Shatter, Shatter = Burst). As a class about misdirection, it’s felt like the only people being misdirected are the devs, but there are other issues, more core with the game.

Clones and Phantasms pull from your stats, but not all of them. Runes and Sigils don’t affect them, for the most part, damage multipliers don’t affect them, for the most part, they’re flimsy (even with the focus target health buff). They require a lot of investment to do anything, and any investment you put into them isn’t put on yourself, whereas any investment you put onto yourself isn’t put on them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Pretty much what Esplen said but you can more or less squarely put it down to the phantasm mechanic. They’re also bound to your target, not you so can disappear very easily either due to target death or target runs/invulnerable.

Phantasms constitute a sizeable chunk of our sustained damage but in PvP they die very fast (except avengers as they have silly health) and don’t generally do more than 1 hit if that. They also give the opponent far more control over a mesmers damage than the mesmer has, remember we’re talking about core mesmer so most classes can also outrun or kite your shatters with swiftness. So the only phantasms that even remotely work are ranged ones with decent projectile speed, so phantasmal duelist.

In PvE they used to also die to cleave super easy, this has been bandaid fixed in the same way other AI pets also take 95% less damage unless targeted. However it still suffers from the phantasms being bound to targets so if the target dies very quickly you don’t even get to reach full damage by summoning 3 of your best phantasms. This was a much bigger issue in the dungeon days but less so now that many bosses have huge health pools however mesmers suffer from bosses or encounters where you require a special buff or maguffin to damage them, also encounters made up of lots of small to medium health enemies.

So this is why mesmer is a buff bot, they have been given the most access to quickness and other boon sharing while also being one of the biggest and for a time only source of the cool down reduction buff alacrity.

I also wished that mesmer was more about clone swapping than about stealth and you would no longer have phantasms just clone generation skills and shatters that use clones for effects. Then the damage and dps of mesmers skills could be properly adjusted while hopefully opening more effective play styles in PvP/WvW by having more sustained damage that you have control over, not the other way around.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

^What they said. In a nutshell – clone/phantasm/shatter contradictory mechanics, damage/utility/etc tied up in fragile illusions (ie useless in large scale wvw), ramp up time of damage (pve), resummoning required on target swap.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

If I had to list just the important points:

• Problematic class bar mechanic. Shatter runs opposed to other class concepts, and even as a “sacrifice your other class mechanics for burst”, this only truly works for F4 and very rarely F3 because those are individually strong enough. The rest is only good as part of a slew of spammed abilities.
  • Phantasms vs Clones is just a broken design. My favorite solution where would be to make Phantasms be only 1 at a time, a fourth illusion which is separate and ignores shatter commands.
  • Too much reliance on a plethora of weird interactions and meshes of partially broken design. Example: SoI, Mantras, Moa, all reflect skills vs projectiles which aren’t reflectable, did I mention Mantras yet?
  • Mantras. They deserve their own mention. They were unbalanced but interesting at a single charge, ever since the multi charge thing they’re just inferior “normal” skills.
  • Weapons lack oompf to make up for our Phantasm DPS. See above with the idea for them.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miocast.2657

Miocast.2657

In my opinion GW1 mesmer is much more superior to GW2 counterpart, i really miss, for example, such skills as Arcane Thievery, Confusing Images, Panic, and other.

And i still don’t understand usability of such skills as Mimic, Time Warp, Illusion of Life. outside of few encounters or very specific builds – you rarely even touch them.

Then i look at talents and see a tone of traits that rely on interrupt and by so -counterplay, but they are scatterred and do not produce much of effect combined.

At best you have 1 interruption from Diversion, one from weapon set (GS 5, off hand SW 4, off hand focus 4, off hand pistol 5, shield 5), 2 from mantras which you need to recharge if you use all of charges and which is super easy interruptable by enemy, and elite (SoH, Gravity well) for a total of 5 instances of daze.

Also, in pvp and wvw, specifically, you rarely find a good way to use mantras, thouse long 2.25 casts are just killing them. And only actually usefull mantra to have is Mantra of Resolve and even then its fail to be usefull if you run Inspiration.

So in my view of a problem is that Mesmer need so additional buffs to mantras cast speed, mantras cast to be insta projectiles, trait that allow your iterrupts to surpass stability, interrupt to be more beneficial to you with boons and Mimic should act like Arcane Thievery did in GW1, allowing you to steal last casted spell to your benifit.

I would rather have some uplift to core mesmer and especially power mesmer then having another spec that do not contribute to one of core, including grandmaster, traits that rely on interruption.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Refia Montes.3205

Refia Montes.3205

And i still don’t understand usability of such skills as Mimic, Time Warp, Illusion of Life. outside of few encounters or very specific builds – you rarely even touch them.

Sorry, but I have to correct you on this. Time Warp and Mimic have their uses. Time Warp is used mostly on quickness builds on Chronos that have a hard time on maintaining their quickness uptime. It’s also used on Boonshare Chrono in WvW. Mimic also has its use to double some skills (mostly Well of Action), and is used on Inspiration-less builds in PvE to apply permanent quickness to parties.

Onto the topic. Shatters don’t do much in PvE content. And they go against Mesmer’s dps output since it sacrifices Phantasms which make a bulk of our DPS. Another problem is our reliance to Phantasms. Since Phantasms are mostly single target with the exception of Berserker and Warden, they don’t do well against scenarios when lots of cleave is needed.

Mirage DPS HYPE

in Mesmer

Miocast.2657

Sorry, but I have to correct you on this. Time Warp and Mimic have their uses. Time Warp is used mostly on quickness builds on Chronos that have a hard time on maintaining their quickness uptime. It’s also used on Boonshare Chrono in WvW. Mimic also has its use to double some skills (mostly Well of Action), and is used on Inspiration-less builds in PvE to apply permanent quickness to parties.

As i said – both Time Warp and Mimic are very specific encounter or build dependant skills, one of which give, remind you 10s of quickness (without boon duration) on 180s coold down, another one give you reduced to 1 second recharge of next skill on 90s cooldown.

Both of thouse skills have it usability, but profit of double blink for 2 utility slots for example is quite questionable at least for me, since i always assume that in both pve and pvp positioning comes first, and if i would have to use mimic for example in PVE – that means i did some bad positioning.

Out of 14 Mesmer builds on metabattle in all game modes only 2 use Time Warp as go to elite, and only few of them even list mimic as a skill, and i will quote one of build maker’s text regarding this utility skill: “Mimic – because it’s fun.”

Overall this two skills do not bring something that particularry important or crucial on the table when we talk about wvw or pvp.

And i will assume, since im not all that pve person myself, instance where you would use Time Warp and|or Mimic tied to specific encounters, and as you stated Time Warp is used in “…quickness builds on Chronos that have a hard time on maintaining their quickness uptime.” and Mimic “used on Inspiration-less builds in PvE to apply permanent quickness to parties”.

So once again i suppose we came to agreement that Mimic and Time Warp are usable but still too tied to specific builds and encounters, but outside of it – it would be never go to skills like Well of Gravity or SoH are and variety of more game changing utilities such as Disenchanter or Decoy, Veil and others.

PS: I will quote you an article from July 25, 2012 by WiNGSPATT –
“While this may still sound cool in theory, the Guild Wars 2 beta weekends quickly proved the Mesmer’s gameplay mechanic was more underwhelming than a Sea Monkeys unboxing. Yes, it was that bad. Within hours of booting up the beta, hundreds of players shared similar complaints:

Illusions don’t attract or hold aggro, even when directly replacing the player
When they are hit by AOE/melee/sneezing, Illusions dissipate instantly
Illusions do almost no damage (and in fact Clones do zero damage)
Illusions are so short-lived, Shattering them is rarely an option
When Shattering does happen, the effects are basically unnoticeable
The Illusions/Shatter mechanic is shallow compared to other professions’ specializations"

and

“Meanwhile, the Mesmer lost every single defining aspect of the profession. Here’s a list of stuff the Mesmer did in Guild Wars but conveniently forgot how to do in the sequel:

Precisely interrupting enemy actions
Punishing enemies for attacking
Punishing enemies for casting spells
Punishing enemies for doing nothing
Slowing enemies to a crawl
Stealing/draining resources from enemies
Disabling enemy skills
Casting spells and signets at increased speed
Slowing or delaying enemy spell casting
Dealing huge amounts of damage over time (DOT)
Gaining temporary buffs that later became debuffs
Wielding illusory weapons to deal enhanced damage
Copying enemy abilities, including elite abilities
Performing Riverdance
Sure, the Mesmer in Guild Wars 2 can inflict debuffs (as conditions) and punish players for acting (as a generic, boring “Confusion” condition), but there’s no trickery. No guile. No Lyssa loving. The Mesmer’s entire box of tricks has been scrapped for an Illusion mechanic that is shallow, repetitive, and ineffective."

Core problems for a most part persist.

(edited by Miocast.2657)

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

That’s an overall game problem, even. In an effort to find a use case for >400 skills, the devs had to make lots of skills super-marginal.

Since GW2 also has a limited hot bar, skills can’t be “padded out” with fluff skills such as Ghost Wolf or Astral Recall or raid-cooldowns such as Spirit Link Totem. Skill types which work in WoW to bring the number of usable skills up. Having 10+ super nichey skills isn’t a problem there, you got endless hotbar space.

In GW2, is niche skills such as Time Warp stood against mainstay skills, then obviously no one would take the niche skills, probably not even in the niche scenario (too high of an opportunity cost). So everything was to be narrow, niche, and frankly… weak.

This is also what in turn gave rise to the “spammy” gameplay. Since skills are so weak, anything which is spammable is thrown at you ad absurdum. And gameplay is balanced to take that into account, so that each autoattack barely tickles and each individual stack of bleeding is forgettable.

Can’t really see this change without a step up to GW3 or something, though. Too big of a rework to “fix”. If it’s even something to be fixed, since there’s a healthy dose of personal preference in it, too.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Refia Montes.3205

Refia Montes.3205

For PvE, you would only like to go for damage. So most of the utilities Mesmer has are never used in PvE. These includes Veil, Decoy, Signets that are not Moa and Inspiration, most Manipulation skills, most Mantras, most Glamours. I’d say they’re pretty useful in specific builds as the only Elites you will be picking from is TimeWarp, Gravity Well and Moa. And the usage of Timewarp actually allows the Chrono to build more DPS and lose more boon duration in this process. Moa is used when there’s a giant breakbar. Gravity Well for trash mobs. For utilities the only ones that are extensively used are Signet of Inspiration, WoA, WoR, Feedback (which is only used when the boss needs reflects), Mimic. I wouldn’t say they’re useless or niche. They’re part of the meta.

Although Illusion of Life is really bad lmao.

Mirage DPS HYPE

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Just to point out about the interrupt aspect and punishment for using skills.

Interrupts are there and mesmer is rewarded (or can potentially be rewarded) for it pretty well, power block is a fantastic skill so was mistrust and chaotic interruption. The 2 big problems with them is they’re all in separate lines so you can’t really go all in on interrupts.

The 2nd issue is that cast times have gone down and down, even more so with HoT so the time to interrupt is now 1/4-1/2s which you need extremely good reaction times to do successfully especially when some interrupts have a 1/4s cast themselves. In GW1 cast times were anything from 1-3s sometimes more giving much more leeway and mesmer had fast casting. Then there’s the classes with everything either being instant cast or unpunishable like thief. There’s a reason many run withdraw and bound in WvW and channel vigor says 3/4 cast but it’s closer to 1/2 as the animation only starts 1/4s in. Most other utilities as instant cast so you can’t really punish it.

As for punishing using skills, that’s what confusion was for but that’s fallen by the wayside.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

In my opinion GW1 mesmer is much more superior to GW2 counterpart, i really miss, for example, such skills as Arcane Thievery, Confusing Images, Panic, and other.

Oh how I’d love to have a GW2 version,( a version that really worked, ) of my GW1 panic Mesmer. The carnage in this game of “fastest button pusher” would be epic.

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

@Apharma

There’s a fundamental difference too. Skills like [Panic] work as a trap. For some GW1 Mesmer punishment skills you don’t need to hit someone in the midst of casting. You hit them prior to a cast. The enemy is punished if they act or do not act after being hexed.[Spirit Shackles] is another example that comes to mind.

If we had interrupt/trap skills like that, you’d see old style Mesmer back in GW2 and they would be fearsome.

Mesmerising Girl

in Mesmer

Posted by: musu.9205

musu.9205

If I had to list just the important points:

• Problematic class bar mechanic. Shatter runs opposed to other class concepts, and even as a “sacrifice your other class mechanics for burst”, this only truly works for F4 and very rarely F3 because those are individually strong enough. The rest is only good as part of a slew of spammed abilities.
  • Phantasms vs Clones is just a broken design. My favorite solution where would be to make Phantasms be only 1 at a time, a fourth illusion which is separate and ignores shatter commands.
  • Too much reliance on a plethora of weird interactions and meshes of partially broken design. Example: SoI, Mantras, Moa, all reflect skills vs projectiles which aren’t reflectable, did I mention Mantras yet?
  • Mantras. They deserve their own mention. They were unbalanced but interesting at a single charge, ever since the multi charge thing they’re just inferior “normal” skills.
  • Weapons lack oompf to make up for our Phantasm DPS. See above with the idea for them.

while i like this idea but if we get additional phant slot , then phant wont interact with all of our mechanics. also there will be another problem : dmg phant vs utility phant .

in Mesmer

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Just to point out about the interrupt aspect and punishment for using skills.

Interrupts are there and mesmer is rewarded (or can potentially be rewarded) for it pretty well, power block is a fantastic skill so was mistrust and chaotic interruption. The 2 big problems with them is they’re all in separate lines so you can’t really go all in on interrupts.

The 2nd issue is that cast times have gone down and down, even more so with HoT so the time to interrupt is now 1/4-1/2s which you need extremely good reaction times to do successfully especially when some interrupts have a 1/4s cast themselves. In GW1 cast times were anything from 1-3s sometimes more giving much more leeway and mesmer had fast casting. Then there’s the classes with everything either being instant cast or unpunishable like thief. There’s a reason many run withdraw and bound in WvW and channel vigor says 3/4 cast but it’s closer to 1/2 as the animation only starts 1/4s in. Most other utilities as instant cast so you can’t really punish it.

As for punishing using skills, that’s what confusion was for but that’s fallen by the wayside.

Power Block really needs to be updated to work on skills that have an initiative cost as well.

Just to reiterate what others have said though, mesmer suffers from a lack of overall design. Our class mechanic works against itself to be mediocre at both sustained damage and burst damage, but we actually have to pick one or the other, unlike other classes. Phantasms and their interaction with shatters needs to be reworked.

One of the easiest ways to do this would be to change phantasmal force to be an effect on the mesmer himself that is increased when we use a shatter, and its automatically shared with all phantasms on the field. This way we can shatter for a burst, but then our phantasms are back at full phantasmal force the second they are resummoned.

in Mesmer

musu.9205

Power Block really needs to be updated to work on skills that have an initiative cost as well.

unlikely , Power block was causing many problems from pve to pvp .i think anet has trouble to code it work on thief weapon skill and rev skills without kittening up everyones AA and pve mob attacks.

and i agree phant should be changed into utility like shield 4

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheOneWhoSighs.7513

TheOneWhoSighs.7513

Honestly? It’s because base Mesmer is too selfish.

All of its group utility gets hit with hard nerfs, while a selfish playstyle continually gets pushed.

Look at the nerfs to PU and how they affected veil’s usage. Even in GvGs people tend to run a smoke field & blast it instead of running mesmer veils now, because veil doesn’t last long enough without mimic & continuum split.

It’s also far more predictable than a smoke field with blasts.

The entirety of staff lacks any potency at all. There’s almost no damage what-so-ever on staff. The biggest thing is chaos storm, since that has poison you can apply to someone just before they heal.

And even that has a longer cooldown than abilities that are far more useful in a group (Ele’s Meteor shower has 5 seconds lower on its cooldown).

The only way I can describe base Mesmer, is that the devs have done everything they possibly can to dissuade you from playing it.

Never before was quickness & alacrity stacking a problem. But now with Chrono, good bye boonshare viability on base Mesmer.

Thank the nine divine that base Mesmer can still get some resistance that it can share with teammates. Else it would be wholly useless outside of moa & null field.

Idk. When you combine all the problems mesmer has with illusions, the problems with the mesmer’s weapons scaling (Or lack there of), and the lack luster utility skills that are purely a gimmick.

Playing base Mesmer in a group environment would literally be running inferior to anything short of a thief. And we’re only better than a thief if you ignore venom wells.

“Unused Development Initiative. We care so much
about your feedback, that we don’t even read it.” ~ Crystal Suzuki

in Mesmer

Posted by: FaboBabo.3581

FaboBabo.3581

unlikely , Power block was causing many problems from pve to pvp .i think anet has trouble to code it work on thief weapon skill and rev skills without kittening up everyones AA and pve mob attacks.

I like the idea of phants beeing utility!

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I said it needs to be updated, not that it would be easy. But I do think they can do it, considering the massive tech they’ve been building to get gliding, mounts and these new elite spec mechanics into the game. But it really should work on thief weapon skills, there’s no good reason why thieves, and thieves alone, should be immune from the increased CD from that trait. None.

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

I said it needs to be updated, not that it would be easy. But I do think they can do it, considering the massive tech they’ve been building to get gliding, mounts and these new elite spec mechanics into the game. But it really should work on thief weapon skills, there’s no good reason why thieves, and thieves alone, should be immune from the increased CD from that trait. None.

You can make it take off 3 ini on interrupt, it’s not exactly something that would take a complete reworking of mechanics. You could also have it remove energy from revenants depending on how it’s all sorted out on the back end. I’ve heard it’s a bit of a mess so how easy and worthwhile it is is anybodies guess, in a well optimised game it would be as simple as adding to the effect of power block -initiative and -energy and have the game run a class check or resource check when the trait activates.

However all I can say is is it worth it? Considering there’s so much on a thieves weapon set that isn’t punishable when you do interrupt it’s effectively punished by the resource being spent but effect not granted. I really don’t think it’s as big an issue as the lack of counter play in all the skills you can’t interrupt or how you can’t deny or they are essentially immune to certain mechanics.

Edit: Power Block did used to work on autos and I think thief skills, obviously it was removed for the auto attack portion and I dare say it’s too much effort to make it work with just thief skills.

I’ve said before that maybe thief would benefit from buffing weapon skills to be more impactful but place small cool downs on them 1-6s so they can no longer be spammed because they have a disproportionate effect on that class/build.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I had a similar thought to removing initiative, but it was to increase the initiative cost to 16 for 10 seconds. It makes it impossible to use the skill, giving the desired effect, but I have no idea how easy that would be to implement. Thieves as a whole need to be looked at. The initiative idea with 0 CD on their weapon skills is a neat concept, but is implemented horribly. I like the idea of buffing a few skills but adding small CDs to them.

in Mesmer

musu.9205

I had a similar thought to removing initiative, but it was to increase the initiative cost to 16 for 10 seconds. It makes it impossible to use the skill, giving the desired effect, but I have no idea how easy that would be to implement. Thieves as a whole need to be looked at. The initiative idea with 0 CD on their weapon skills is a neat concept, but is implemented horribly. I like the idea of buffing a few skills but adding small CDs to them.

same for chill , should chill affect initiative point regen ?

mesmer needs some effect that interrupts next non AA skill usage maybe , an aoe aura anyone ? since war full counter has a GM trait that will trigger cc when the target move further than certain range.

in Mesmer

musu.9205

and how about pve breakbar
should CC with interrupt traits do more breakbar damage ?

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

Chill should definitely affect initiative and energy regen as well. Its just downright stupid that some classes are able to just ignore some mechanics in this game because of how their class functions.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Chill should definitely affect initiative and energy regen as well. Its just downright stupid that some classes are able to just ignore some mechanics in this game because of how their class functions.

The inverse of this is that Alacrity should affect Initiative and Energy Regen.

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

I dunno, I’m ok with energy being unaffected because revenants don’t have traits and skills to get energy back. They also have fairly short cool downs on a variety of skills to stop them being spammed, like thief really should have from the beginning. Revs also have to spend energy on utility skills so it’s not really fair to be depleting it too.

In contrast thief has no cool down on weapon skills, a multitude of traits and utilities to get initiative back and low cool down utilities most of which are instant cast.

But yes I feel alacrity should affect initiative regen if chill can affect it too.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Oh I definitely get where you’re coming at, in fact I wholeheartedly agree that Revenant’s Energy system is a bit too… draining.

On another note, I feel like they wanted to have the weapon skills not have cd’s but decided against it because it would be a copy of Thief (however I think they should either cost energy or have a cd, not both, even if each individual skill has a different “cost”).

But if Chill affects Energy, then Alacrity should, as well. Same with Init.

in Mesmer

OriOri.8724

I completely agree! If chill affects it then so should alacrity. And chill should affect initiative at the very least. Its just balance.

in Mesmer

Miocast.2657

So to add to discussion about how conditions affect thiefs, revenants etc.

I would rather cover another topic – Slow.

I assume that Slow must be more accessible if not for base Mesmer, but for Chrono for sure.

Certain adjastments could be made to Delayed Reaction – to add slow for dazing an enemy instead of interrupting it, and Lost time to make it 5th stack to slow an enemy, 1 stack for basic attack and 2 for critical strike, 33% chance to recieve a charge from Illusion critical attack.

Thouse Danger Time with +30% critical chance will be more reliable, right now upper deck in chronomancer is way too underpowered for power variants that do not rely on phantasms.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Of course. It’s bad that it doesn’t. But then, GW2’s combat is so much too spammy that I sometimes think it just all doesn’t matter. Skills are individually paper. And have to be.