What if confusion...

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

… made it difficult to tell friend from foe?

For example, what if all names and health bars turned red for a player under confusion, so they don’t know who is the real enemy?

What if a confused player ran the risk of doing damage to their allies, not just themselves? Say 4% damage per stack of confusion?
It could be chance based, on attack.

What if this effect scaled up with the number of stacks of confusion? For each stack => one additional friend “becomes” a foe.

What if mesmers gained a different unique condition/ability, opposite to the above that made all enemies appear as allies, and all attacks do reduced/no damage? What if this could be an AoE that affects enemy and ally alike, so in effect no one can harm each other for the duration (or do reduced damage per stack)?
Edit 2: I’d use that as an elite.

Overpowered? What do you think?
(Edit: most relevant analogy are the pacify/frenzy skills from skyrim)

(edited by Curunen.8729)

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

lol that would be kitten hilarious to watch!it would be epic!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Honestly confusion isn’t as terrible as people think… in pvp I got 22,671 damage on my target…. We just have to specc heavier for it now

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

Oh I have no problem with the damage – my first pvp spec was a full sc/t glamour confusion back on launch and I never ran it in pve/wvw, so I’m used to the lower damage anyway.

I’m just wondering if it could explore another dimension and really mess with players’ minds.

Imagine an elite: “Illusion of peace” – time warp like AoE which
- makes all names/health bars turn blue/green
- grants aegis to all players (or protection/regeneration?)
- duration – at least 6s or so?
Of course the main worry would be of players just outside the AoE, but maybe somehow all affected players appear as allies not only to each other, but to their entire team/faction?
Would need some refining of course, as I’m not sure how useful it could be other than for reviving and granting a brief respite from combat (allowing players to heal up, etc). Could be overpowered.

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: CrazyDuck.4610

CrazyDuck.4610

For example, what if all names and health bars turned red for a player under confusion, so they don’t know who is the real enemy?

What if a confused player ran the risk of doing damage to their allies, not just themselves? Say 4% damage per stack of confusion?

What if this effect scaled up with the number of stacks of confusion? For each stack => one additional friend “becomes” a foe.

What if mesmers gained a different unique condition/ability, opposite to the above that made all enemies appear as allies, and all attacks do reduced/no damage? What if this could be an AoE that affects enemy and ally alike, so in effect no one can harm each other for the duration (or do reduced damage per stack)?

Wow this is actually a cool idea for confusion or some other type of elite skill, take out damage to oneself and turn everyone into an “enemy”. But of course would need damage limits or something so 1 warrior doesn’t wipe 20 people out haha.

YouWish – Guard
DragonBrand – [Agg] Aggression

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: ExZee.8109

ExZee.8109

Honestly confusion isn’t as terrible as people think… in pvp I got 22,671 damage on my target…. We just have to specc heavier for it now

Because people thinking with WvW in mind have nothing to do with people playing sPvP. Just like Necros are hopelessly useless roamers in WvW, but dominate sPvP. “It’s fine in sPvP, it should be fine in WvW” and vice versa is trash logic.

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

Because people thinking with WvW in mind have nothing to do with people playing sPvP. Just like Necros are hopelessly useless roamers in WvW, but dominate sPvP. “It’s fine in sPvP, it should be fine in WvW” and vice versa is trash logic.

Oh go to spvp threads and see just how many people think necros are sooo underpowered… As a Mesmer I know that isn’t the case… And since the confusion in wvw can still be affected by foods number for number its more powerful than spvp. Just saying.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Curunen I love your confusion idea! I imagine using a glamour to hit an enemy zerg with it then teleporting right in the middle and purposely instigating all kinds of chaos! Even if I died, it would be a glorious zerg buster! And if I died, I’d just change my armor to a different looking set and do it again! I wouldn’t even care to collect loot bags! There would be giggles for days!

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: ExZee.8109

ExZee.8109

Oh go to spvp threads and see just how many people think necros are sooo underpowered… As a Mesmer I know that isn’t the case… And since the confusion in wvw can still be affected by foods number for number its more powerful than spvp. Just saying.

I don’t quite see the logic of you going against the majority by saying confusion isn’t as terrible as they think, then telling me to go do the same about Necros. My entire point about Necros is to dismiss that train of thought in the first place, so why would I go read up on minority opinions to try and reach the same conclusion as you? And well, Lemongrass > Rare Veggie Pizza; I can equally say confusion in wvw can still be affected by foods number for number its less powerful than spvp. What’s your point? I even said it in my first post – comparing sPvP and WvW is trash logic, and nobody playing WvW is going to think “well it’s better than sPvP, so everything is fine”.

Why do I feel a very strong dejavu between this post and my first?

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

I don’t quite see the logic of you going against the majority by saying confusion isn’t as terrible as they think, then telling me to go do the same about Necros. My entire point about Necros is to dismiss that train of thought in the first place, so why would I go read up on minority opinions to try and reach the same conclusion as you? And well, Lemongrass > Rare Veggie Pizza; I can equally say confusion in wvw can still be affected by foods number for number its less powerful than spvp. What’s your point? I even said it in my first post – comparing sPvP and WvW is trash logic, and nobody playing WvW is going to think “well it’s better than sPvP, so everything is fine”.

Why do I feel a very strong dejavu between this post and my first?

Sorry just saying that if confusion has this potential in one place it has much more potential in the other. And do I think the confusion nerf in WvW was over done? yes absolutely I think Anet should do something to compensate us for that whether it be increasing the duration through adding a confusion specifc rune set or reverting the blinding befuddlement nerf (totally uncalled for btw). But I am pointing out that confusion is still a very powerful skill we just have to try harder to get a bonus out of it…

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

If confusion became like this (or a new condition was added to do this) Mesmer would instantly become my favorite profession in the game instead of butting heads with my ranger.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Even better, with every stack your screen becomes blurrier and blurrier lol at 10 stacks your screen is completely black and at 25 stacks you monitor explodes

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

so wait, confusion is on me, and all of a sudden, I can attack my allies-but they still can’t attack me? Can’t imagine that being exploited in WvW…

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

so wait, confusion is on me, and all of a sudden, I can attack my allies-but they still can’t attack me? Can’t imagine that being exploited in WvW…

You wouldn’t be able to damage them more than a few % of your attack damage per stack (we’re talking slightly more damage than clones do for one stack). What it would mean is wasting cooldowns and time by focusing on the wrong target – more distractions if you like.

Group condition removal would be akin to throwing a bucket of water on the player’s face saying “wake up, we’re your allies!”.

I just feel it would offer a lot more than a simply a basic form of indirect damage which is what it is now.

(edited by Curunen.8729)

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You wouldn’t be able to damage them more than a few % of your attack damage per stack (we’re talking slightly more damage than clones do for one stack). What it would mean is wasting cooldowns and time by focusing on the wrong target – more distractions if you like.

Group condition removal would be akin to throwing a bucket of water on the player’s face saying “wake up, we’re your allies!”.

I just feel it would offer a lot more than a simply a basic form of indirect damage which is what it is now.

So would you say it’d be like a “deals 1% of your damage to allies per stack” sort of thing? If so that’d be awesome, and hardly OP (would also help with the whole “Whelp you should’ve thought of the consequences for such high damage” anet has been doing lately).

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

^Yeah, something like that.

You wouldn’t be able to down your ally with one stack, more like tickle them. But add in vulnerability and max stacks then you’d have to be careful (particularly with AoE skills).

More importantly would be the added distraction of not knowing who your enemy is, even for a few seconds. It should cap at maybe 5 allies (to appear as enemies), with maybe one additional ally every 5 stacks.

But if we had 2 elites, one as I listed above in a post (illusion of peace), and a second – say illusion of chaos, which made all allies in the AoE appear as enemies (no cap), with some additional effects – grant all allies and enemies (yes, even you who cast it!) 3 stacks of might and 3 stacks of vulnerability – this would be pretty funny to watch.

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

I say remove stacking altogether on confusion and have it stack duration, make it start from the basic 1 stack damage and double each time it triggers (damage resets when the conditions runs out or is cleansed)

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

jportell.2197

I say remove stacking altogether on confusion and have it stack duration, make it start from the basic 1 stack damage and double each time it triggers (damage resets when the conditions runs out or is cleansed)

So you want it to stack in duration…. and then the first time they use a skill it does baby damage… then it doubles each time so 2x base 4x base 8x base? I’d rather just they implement a confusion duration rune… Then we can keep high stacks for long periods like people do with bleeds.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

What if confusion...

in Mesmer

Posted by: datawais.7209

datawais.7209

That’s how Confusion worked in CoH. Hence Mass Confusion was nicknamed “Mass Fun”