What would make you give up the mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kevlar Eater.1985

Kevlar Eater.1985

To me, if the sword, pistol and/or Time Warp were hit with nerfs that made them useless no matter where I played (and I’m a PvE player), then I’ll just give up, buy some gems for a character slot and roll a warrior or continue my engineer. The same can be said for the staff if it takes another beating. Lyssa knows these things are gonna get the nerf hammer now that they were mentioned.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

I don’t know. I’d have to be numerically inferior in every way or unable to complete content with my class.

Though certain playstyles or mechanics were altered in the patch, and maybe a few bugs were introduced, I don’t feel like I’m underperforming or lacking value.

Last night I ran exploration mode dungeons, soloed some difficult PvE enemies and events, and contributed meaningfully to some WvW sieges. I did this as a mesmer in probably one of our weaker specs (condition damage). None of my team members complained about my performance and I never felt like I was a weak link.

I think mesmers remain a viable, durable, and complex class with a high skill cap and a varied set of useful playstyles.

There are bugs, but there are bugs with every profession and we don’t seem particularly inflicted compared with some of the others.

in Mesmer

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

I don’t know. I have several hundred hours on my mesmer. And especially in WvW I get smacked around and two-shotted like a punching bag. It doesn’t matter if I’m spec’d with Berserker or Carrion full exotic gear. And don’t say L2P, I know my mesmer very well.

The only viable build at the moment is a shatter build, and you pretty much die very quickly.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Nothing, I stood by the psionicist in Allods from beta til well after launch, despite it’s constant nerfing month after month after month, til it went from best PvP class, to this nigh unplayable shadow of itself – I always found a way to make the class work, even when literally 95% of the players had bailed from it.

Mesmer like psion is the archetype I love, they play almost the same, they are thematiclly the same, and Mesmer is following the same path to destruction, but I’ll stick with it and make it work, and the day I quit mesmer is the day I quit GW2 entirely.

They can take my phantasms, but they can never take my archetype!

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in Mesmer

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

Nothing, I stood by the psionicist in Allods from beta til well after launch, despite it’s constant nerfing month after month after month, til it went from best PvP class, to this nigh unplayable shadow of itself – I always found a way to make the class work, even when literally 95% of the players had bailed from it.

Mesmer like psion is the archetype I love, they play almost the same, they are thematiclly the same, and Mesmer is following the same path to destruction, but I’ll stick with it and make it work, and the day I quit mesmer is the day I quit GW2 entirely.

Same here. 99% of the time I only play my mesmer because I don’t give a kitten about the other classes. And if this continues, I’m on the brink of quitting Gw2 for good.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leeach.3547

Leeach.3547

A large GS nerf…… wait they just did that. Guess i park my exotic www mesmer someplace and wait for them to fix it again.

in Mesmer

Posted by: deltanium.7543

deltanium.7543

Amen Ryuujin.

I also enjoy the class more than any others and will stick to it though thick and thin. I cannot be more satisfied than when against a boss with 3 duelists, I stack 25 bleeding on my own with sharper images(with the sigil that stacks bleeding) or on the boon-based bosses such as the golem in CoE with the 4 beacon that cannot sustain his boons under the hail of sword clones and myself dispelling them every three hit for the whole fight and stacking bleeding and vulnerability.

It may not be all that good in the damage department, but when it comes to versatility and survival, mesmer is second to none.

More tender love and care please, but no hard feeling on the nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowDemon.1937

ShadowDemon.1937

I don’t know what I would do if Mesmer became unplayable. It has been the only class I have felt a connection to. I have one of all the other classes, but I like the challenge of playing a Mesmer. Getting to level 40 was hard, but after that it was just pure fun. I love the dodging and rolling and constant movement involved with playing a shatter build glass cannon. It takes skill to play a mesmer and I think that is why we are up there in the top ranks of pvp, because only skilled players make it to level 80 as a mesmer. (or crafters hehehe)

I think what draws me to the class the most is the utility. So if they ever got rid of our utility, I would be a sad mesmer. I like being able to portal (the 30 second nerf brought a tear to my eye, but I will move on) and I like dazing, causing evasion, confusion reflect etc. It’s just fun knowing I am adding tons of counters to the enemy.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Marius Verius.2530

Marius Verius.2530

I’ve yet to try my Mesmer again after the recent changes, but bugs are what would make me quit the profession.

Anyone striving for advanced class techniques, I imagine, would be utterly frustrated when they can’t pull off amazing feats because of stupid bugs (like the LoS on stairs that I’ve been reading about).

If the bug effect has been made much worse because of this “patch”, I may try a different profession for a while, as heartbreaking as it will be.

in Mesmer

Posted by: venusiano.8246

venusiano.8246

The nerfing/bugging they just did in the last patch was enough for me. I will wait till they revert the mesmer to his previous state.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

They would have to make Mesmer game play boring or frustrsting. As long as I’m having fun, I’m in. I see a lot of unhappiness about the patch, but honestly in game I don’t notice a difference. (Aside from Beserker LOS, but I played like that was an exploit anyways.)

in Mesmer

Posted by: JediJoe.3960

JediJoe.3960

This last patch sealed the deal for me – I’m done. I’ve been playing less and less after each patch, since Anet nefs the crap out of Mesmers each time.

Its ridiculous and not fun.

Anet needs to understand that fewer and fewer people will trust them after they behave this way for such a long time.

I don’t think I’ll purchase another game from them – they are too frustrating to deal with in this situation.

Mesmers were the only class I enjoyed playing in GW2 – tried them all. I have no desire to keep putting my precious time into this character, when instead of getting more powerful as I level out, I just become more and more mediocre compared to other classes.

Screw this, I’m going home.

in Mesmer

Posted by: khadorian.6417

khadorian.6417

Iv been playing less, since i feel its to much work in pve, now they removed wvw aswell, not gonna waste my time anymore..

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/bmj3ann">My WvW Necro power build</a>

in Mesmer

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

I don’t know. I’d have to be numerically inferior in every way or unable to complete content with my class.

Though certain playstyles or mechanics were altered in the patch, and maybe a few bugs were introduced, I don’t feel like I’m underperforming or lacking value.

Last night I ran exploration mode dungeons, soloed some difficult PvE enemies and events, and contributed meaningfully to some WvW sieges. I did this as a mesmer in probably one of our weaker specs (condition damage). None of my team members complained about my performance and I never felt like I was a weak link.

I think mesmers remain a viable, durable, and complex class with a high skill cap and a varied set of useful playstyles.

There are bugs, but there are bugs with every profession and we don’t seem particularly inflicted compared with some of the others.

after the patch, a condition damage staff spec is the ONLY spec mesmers are good at now.

basically every mesmer that was built for direct damage shatter/burst with GS now has to invest 20g+ in a completely new set of gear.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TheComet.6471

TheComet.6471

If they touch my healing ability and/or mantras (which are weak to begin with), I’ll probably wind up just stopping playing this game as a whole. Mesmer is the only class I find appearling, the rest are just more of the same thing I’ve played on every other MMO that has come out.

Kaineng – Co-Leader of Skrittical Hits
Sybol – Healing Bunker Charr Mesmer (80)
Dresdon Honorclaw – Zerk All-Ranged Charr Warrior | Hawke Fullmoon – Melee Ranger

in Mesmer

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

This patch. (for the record, i was PERFECTLY FINE with every other patch thus far)

I don’t care about phantasm attacks not connecting due to blind, block, or dodge, but I run an inspiration build.

I count on them for regeneration, projectile block, and many others, and now during invulnerable phases or those zergy paths where you’re spammed with conditions you will lose the ability to summon phantasms for defense when you need them most.

I’ll go guard for the control and boons or ele for the damage and healing.

I’ve had enough. Until they put the list of fixes I suggested to the Q&A on “what do you think of mesmers” or revert the “dodge, block or blind prevents illusions from even spawning” , I’m swapping toons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gator.7581

Gator.7581

I’m pretty much at that point after this last patch. I had just made 80 and was very much looking forward to playing a class that was relevant and somewhat feared. Now, I’m in a tough spot. I am certainly not having fun with it. I don’t expect everyone to share my feelings about it, but the truth is that at the moment, there is too much wrong with it for me to enjoy it. I’ll try a bit more to adapt, but at the moment, I feel very insignificant. Nothing works like it did before and now I end up dieing far too quickly.

My worry is that some of this ‘just doesn’t feel right’ are just bugs, and due to the VERY SLOW REACTION and almost ZERO COMMENTS from the developers regarding any bug from any profession (especially just after a patch), they will let it sit for far too long before addressing it. Which leaves me out in the proverbial rain. If they would just say something about it, then I’d be more likely to sit tight and bide my time.

_Example:
“Yes Mesmer community, the reduced damage of the Berserker is working as intended.”
Or
“No, Mesmer community, the reduced damage is a result a bug. We are currently working on a fix.”
Or
“We are no longer letting the janitorial staff make decisions on game balance and will be spending a good deal of time trying to fix all the bugs we introduced in this last patch.”
Or
“We accidentally let the lead designer for the Thief team make changes to the Mesmer on this last patch. We are working diligently to correct all of the sabotage and should have some results for you before either hell freezes over or pigs fly.”

I just don’t want to be left in the dark. I feel like a mushroom here. Except, in this case, I’m not even being fed the manure.

Edit:
I stand corrected. It was mentioned as a bug by a Developer.

“Illusionary Berserker has not received a direct damage decrease. Instead, is seems that the damage reduction you (and I) are seeing is most likely associated this fix:
“Fixed a bug that caused many piercing, boomerang, and bouncing projectiles (those that hit more than 1 target) to continually increase in damage the more targets they hit.”
We are aware that this particular phantasm is now experiencing a significant drop in damage and are looking at getting it back to a more effective state.
Thanks for keeping the post civil and constructive!”

Developer Quoted:
Karl McLain

Original Post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Mesmer-Damage-Nerf/page/2_

(edited by Moderator)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

I um… Just got here.

in Mesmer

Posted by: spacelion.9865

spacelion.9865

If they touch the “produce clone on dodge” trait one bit I’ll be done with my mesmer. I had to change from a sword/focus/greatsword phantasm build to a sword/pistol/staff build because of this recent “fix.” I can understand the LoS issues and how it was unfair to be able to cast iberserker behind walls or 20ft in the air, but the damage reduction that was not even in the patch notes is ridiculous. Still, I’ll happily play my mesmer until they take away our only remaining viable builds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cares Less.9631

Cares Less.9631

Mesmer was my main in GW1, Mesmer has been my main until now in GW2. I have limited time to play and when I do I love WvWvW, to be competitive requires Exotics, Exotics require time/gold to get, I now have a class that is subpar and have to level my other characters now to be competitive in WvWvW again, and do more PvE to get materials / gold to pay for or crat the armor and weapons I need.

I will be retiring my Mesmer for a while till I see how this all plays out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crusader.3165

Crusader.3165

Mine is shelved until they figure out what they’re trying to do with the class. I’m assuming it’s something other than nerf and bug it into the ground. I could be wrong.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

So most of the old advice and build variety is suddenly obsolete because our core mechanic is too easily thwarted by literally every other class in the game. I admit, if ur facing a mes they telegraph their summons quite obviously so if a simple dodge eliminates it, gg. Ofc clones don’t seem to be affected as much (thinking staff here) but they do no dmg anyway. Hindsight is the best foresight…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sarelm.8317

Sarelm.8317

They’d have to take away my troll jukes. All of them. Decoy, Phase Retreat, Blink, Prestige, illusionary leap. Everything that puts me in another spot, by invisibility or otherwise, and adds something else that looks just like me on the field. Because kitten is it hilarious every time I manage to get a player to after a clone instead of me. Even if it’s not entirely useful. The glass-crashing sound, the inevitable split second pause as the player tries to re-assess the situation and probably swear at their screen about how mesmers are effing trolls again. Always funny. Always. Funny.

You laugh because you think I’m joking. I laugh because I’m not.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cactus.5298

Cactus.5298

If they made the commando class playable.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

What would make me give up the Mesmer? If they either made it unplayable due to bugs, giving up the game due to treadmills, or if they buffed Mesmer into some fotm god and all the Thieves and 100B warriors jumped onto the class. Three very different scenarios.

in Mesmer

Posted by: vutak.3186

vutak.3186

Nothing.

Also, words words words.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Don’t care about sword so that won’t make me quit mes but if they nerf, over nerf staff and GS i’ll just go play another game. Since gw1 all i roll is mes (ranger in gw1 as well but they royally suck in gw2).

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

I just can’t play my mesmer in this state, it’s disheartening. It makes me sad to see what they are doing with such a great class. Mesmer mechanic is more broken at every patch. Mind you, I didn’t rolled mesmer for pvp, I almost only enjoy PVE in this game and I don’t want to just stand there in a dungeon waiting for my null field/chaos storm/time warp/feedback/portal to be off cd to be useful to my group. What I could bring with aoe cripple, aoe regen, idefender, iwarden is not reliable at all. The build I’ve always wanted to play has been bugged for a long time (inspiration fantasm traits not working with the dueling one) and now with all this LOS bugs that put your skills on cd with no effect when you clearly are in range and in sight. It’s not as if you were already happy if your fantasm could do several attacks because getting erased by any aoe, now they simply fail to spawn for odd reasons preventing you from getting benefit of your traits/shatters. It’s getting so ridiculous and frustrating, I almost only play my guardian nowadays who is tanky, does decent damage and great support for almost no efforts (AH shout build, my shouts don’t miss if I’m blinded/stun/fear, what a joke).
Knowing how long it took them to fix the problem with retreating into the ground, I wonder for how long these LOS bugs will be out but until then I don’t think I’ll get myself the motivation to really play my mesmer again and I admire those who do.

I don’t remember who posted this video but at least it made me laugh.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This last patch broke the core mechanics of any phantom use in this class. I’m done with it until this isn’t the case. There goes hundreds of hours and 50g or so I spent on gear and extra bagspace -.-

Dear god that was awesome xD I also totally agree with the comments on that video. No phantoms coming out from obstructed/block/blind/dodge = class unplayable with anything other than clones -.-

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

This last patch broke the core mechanics of any phantom use in this class. I’m done with it until this isn’t the case. There goes hundreds of hours and 50g or so I spent on gear and extra bagspace -.-

Dear god that was awesome xD I also totally agree with the comments on that video. No phantoms coming out from obstructed/block/blind/dodge = class unplayable with anything other than clones -.-

The clones are subject to this rule now too, so now all anyone has to do to completely remove your ability to do anything but run and hit like a limp noodle is rotate blind, aegis, and dodge. (heck, you cant even use defender or distortion without the clones active. Imagine the uproar if they announced next patch that guardian wards and blocks would fail if they were blind)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

What, you guys haven’t rerolled already?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

The clones are subject to this rule now too, so now all anyone has to do to completely remove your ability to do anything but run and hit like a limp noodle is rotate blind, aegis, and dodge. (heck, you cant even use defender or distortion without the clones active. Imagine the uproar if they announced next patch that guardian wards and blocks would fail if they were blind)

Wow… it’s even worse than I thought?! I stopped playing my mes after I saw the zerker dmg and another phantom got obstructed in the middle of an empty field. All of this just makes me wonder why I’m even bothering to re-roll to play this game at all anymore until they work this rubbish out.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkglow.3429

pinkglow.3429

Well, I played shadowpriest in wow, through good days and bad days. Guess I would do the same with mesmer. The playstyle is so fun and I cant find another class appealing enough to swap.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Olearion.7926

Olearion.7926

I really dont understand the QQ’s. Mesmer’s are still the most dominate class out there. If you’re QQing about thieves still you have more issues than my class is broken. These nerfs were neccesary to make the class more competitive with other classes. The OMFG my Beserker doesnt hit for 8k whine is just ridiculous. Yes almost all other classes can hit for 6k plus. but, other classes have no where near the survivability of a mesmer. I solo mostly in WvWvW, and I come across alot of 3 v 1, 2 v 1, and 1 v 1. The class has utter domination, w sword pistol still. even GS is still very viable. Learn to switch weapons instead of just spamming 1 and 4 on GS and hoping for the win. It’s sad to hear people complaining about Mesmers because they are still the best pvp class out there. Go play a Ranger, or Necro, then come back to the Mesmer, you’ll see how much better off you are. This is still the best designed class ive ever played, I dont see giving up on it because GS got nerfed, or staff got increased CD’s. You’ll be fine.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Nah let’s see.

I am not interested in arena style PvP, so I do not care how overpowered the mesmer might be there.

I play WvWvW from time to time, but now, most of the time I can just fire on the kitten door. While if I am defending from a wall, I get AoEd to hell. That iBerserker must have been a real gamebreaker.

I loved my Mesmer, even though he wasn’t the stronges PvE class. But hey, I was running GS glass cannon since I have been lvl 73 (GS patch) but now even this build is doing subpar dmg. Thanks for breaking a class because of some PvP issues. Nothing is more refreshing than to cast a phantasm to the target 5m away that is shooting at you, only to get the “obstructed” on the screen.

Nah, time to take a break from GW2, and if this mess gets fixed one day, I will think about if I will return or not…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mere Image.8376

Mere Image.8376

Played a mesmer since guild wars 1, and while its the only archetype that I actually enjoy playing I’m leveling a warrior so I can crush other Mesmers in WvW and get everyone to complain about warriors being OP and Mesmers being underpowered. Once ArenaNet is swamped with complaints and they buff us again, I will switch back. #taking one for the team I WILL BE BACK!

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Commanders of the Reborn Empire Nation [CORE]
Level 80 Professions: Mesmer, Warrior, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirtai.9023

Kirtai.9023

I loved my mesmer but I’ve just stopped playing GW2 entirely because of how ANet simply don’t seem to know what they’re doing and I don’t trust them to be competent any more.

Shiori Flutura – Human Mesmer
Mairi Lestari – Human Elementalist
Desolation EU

in Mesmer

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Just a note, the zerker damage nerf was confirmed as a bug.

Illusionary Berserker has not received a direct damage decrease. Instead, is seems that the damage reduction you (and I) are seeing is most likely associated this fix:
“Fixed a bug that caused many piercing, boomerang, and bouncing projectiles (those that hit more than 1 target) to continually increase in damage the more targets they hit.”
We are aware that this particular phantasm is now experiencing a significant drop in damage and are looking at getting it back to a more effective state.
Thanks for keeping the post civil and constructive!
-Karl

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Valaer.4073

Valaer.4073

The current patch suffices, on top of everything else we’ve seen. I can still solo most things I face (incl. many Champions given time and some maneuvering room), but it feels like every fight is mired in molasses now compared to before the patch. My Mesmer has stopped being fun and feels like work. I pay to have fun, not work. I still love the class aesthetics but that isn’t enough for me under this new “balance”.

Between this and bad experiences with this weekend’s events, I think I may be giving GW2 a rest for a few months.