When do Mesmers become fun to level?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Davi.4920

Davi.4920

Granted I am only a lowly level 20 but I am really struggling. I seem to die alot, and seem slow to kill almost anything.

I’m running s/p and gs at the moment.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

Honestly? Mesmers really aren’t that fun to level.

But the answer you’re probably looking for is around level 40. At that point you can grab Deceptive Evasion from the Dueling line, and it makes leveling far less painful. Plus you can work towards master traits, which are our best traits by far.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arkonus.4318

Arkonus.4318

Go to the trading post and by green mighty armor and weapons (or craft them if you can), at your level or close. Upgrade everything you buy with power upgrades (garnet pebbles). Get jewely too. Put 5 points in illusions so your summoning spells come back faster. Mash the F1 key as much as you can and have the clones/phantasms to do so and try to keep your range with the greatsword. I’m level 20 as well and while it still isn’t as good as some of the other classes at leveling, doing this isn’t half bad. Buy new armor every 10 levels and weapon every 5 unless you feel you can go 10 here as well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Level 45ish, when you can put 5 points in Illusions and 20 points into Dueling.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

Well, for me the fun started around lvl 10-15 or so which is when I got a handle on how/when to summon, shatter (and which shatter lol), what each weapon skill did, and how to kite as Mesmer. Grab a staff, it’s good for more defense. Later when you can get more traits things get way way easier

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

At 80, when you’re stomping people in WvW.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Archeer.4951

Archeer.4951

Level 40 ish.

Mesmers 1-20 are so painstakingly slow that you want to just want to smash your monitor in frustration.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calle.8746

Calle.8746

For me it started at lvl 1. Or well, not true cuz’ I hate the scepter you get when you create your mesmer, so the fun started for me at level 2 when I finished the boring opening quest thingy and bought a GS. From there it was just pewpew like a baos.
Seriously don’t get what all the fuzz is about.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Czhang.1346

Czhang.1346

what you trait first? what weapon u are using lvl up? Do you upgrade your gear? If find hard to alive, use staff as main,,, trait Illusions and Chaos first, let you clone(staff 3)attack first, use signet that boost clones’s health and feedback at lower lvl should help, with range attacks, staff(2) teleport, do not shatter your clones untile you certain that mob will die after shatter. Mesmer may dps lower than other class but shouldn’t die a lot or find hard to survive.

(edited by Czhang.1346)

in Mesmer

Posted by: damny.9342

damny.9342

I had fun almost all the time. I didn’t even think the first 20 levels were slow or anything, but that kind of depends on how you level early on, I went for map completion (my Mesmer is my only 100% world completion character now) and that doesn’t require a whole lot of power in the early levels.

If you keep your gear upgraded then the first 20 levels are a breeze with any class, and at that point, traits have started kicking in. Buy “mighty” gear, then “strong” when it becomes available, green if possible, but yellow isn’t really worth it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: deadbutdreaming.4159

deadbutdreaming.4159

My mesmer was fun to level right from the start. It’s a fantastic class and definitely can be tricky to master for some people. If you find the class’ abilities and style are something you enjoy then don’t give up! Try different weapons and upgrade your gear every 5 to 10 lvls (weapons every 5 especially) with greens. Power and precision are generally the preferred stats and you’ll want to throw in a little vitality and toughness perhaps on some of your jewelry (I believe this is Lapis jewelry in the earlier levels). Someppeople mention the lvl 40 thing but I wonder if it’s hearsay sometimes? I have always preferred a staff for my weapon swap since 7 and my other weapons while leveling and at 80 have mainly been Sword/Pistol and staff or Greatsword and staff depending on what I’m fighting— yes, I totally rock sword/pistol against certain dungeon bosses and survive! We Mesmers are amazing like that! =P

Dodging/evades, shatter cycling (if not a phantasm focused build), clone-factory plus all our utilities make this incredible class very rewarding if it’s your cup of tea. Good luck!

(edited by deadbutdreaming.4159)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mrowqa.3861

Mrowqa.3861

lvl up to 23-24. If You have some gold ( if you don’t invest some real money in gems – trade gems for gold ) and go to Cooking forum, find cheap cooking guide ( ones there which u can get cook from 1-400 in ~2gold ) buy from Black lion a crafting booster.

And lvl 23-24 will turn to 33-35 depending on Your luck with crafting booster.
Buy some green/rare items at 35 and have fun <3

in Mesmer

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

I’d say at lvl 40. Dump 20 points in Dueling for Clone on dodge trait and spend the last 10 points in Illusions for faster shatter/clone recharge. You will be having fun then!

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Voodoo Tina.4180

Voodoo Tina.4180

Once you figure out a few things.

- when to dodge
- how to kite with range, and circle strafe with melee
- remembering to use distortion when you’re in trouble

With s/p you should take little damage, with GS hardly any.

For example, start with GS, get a few hits in, whack them with mirror blade, drop phantasm, swap to sword and drop phantasm then auto attack. When you see mob start a hit, blurred frenzy. Next attack, dodge back. Jump back in and strafe behind while he is immobile. Next time he swings daze with pistol or blurred frenzy again – it should be dead by then anyhow.

Also look to your combos. With sword, make sure you have an ethereal field or two so you can get chaos armor whenever you want. As long as its up you sort of want the mobs to hit you for a change.

If you are dying a lot at twenty, your gear is old, or you’re trying to play like a warrior and face tank things. For stats I did better with presicion and power at low levels. Toughness didn’t stack high enough for me to notice a difference, but it’s pretty easy to get over a 50% crit chance for not much money. (At later levels I love a tanky build.) Dead things can’t kill you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I agree with a lot of what’s being said here. Mesmers have a pretty high learning curve but, once you master it, you’ll do things that others can only dream about. Some advice I can give you is to use your illusions as tanks and then defend them. Sometimes I start with a bezerker attack then close in on the enemy and use Illusionary Wave before they can attack. With the staff I do the opposite. Default attack first and kite the enemy while using your illusions to kill them. This works very well with a high condition damage build and triated for sharper images. At first it will seem like your attacks are weak but as bleed, burn and might start stacking, your enemy will literally melt before your eyes.

Also, mesmers have a LOT of self-combo potential. I suggest you learn them all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Derelyk.2719

Derelyk.2719

My first char, was a mesmer to 80, and then i leveled a warrior to 80 and now have a ele to 70ish… plus other char bu those are the main three.

I didn’t fully appreciate/understand what my mesmer was doing/capable of till this last week when i pulled him out and dusted him off. I liked playing him, but I really really didn’t understand what versatility he brings either solo on in a group, till I had played the other characters. Now i’m like… ohhhh shiny.

Lizsy Borden (wvw): Darkhaven

in Mesmer

Posted by: arutayro.9764

arutayro.9764

for me it starts to be fun when i got my GS. i nearly never died =D

[pwny] Lynshin
Lvl 80 Mesmer
Whitesideridge

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

for me at 60 <.<
i went 20-60 with craft due to the huge annoyance that was b4 (trying if it got better every 10 lvls).

At 60 i planned to craft at least other 10 lvls, but i enjoyed pve so i just lvled to 80

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Mesmer was fun to me, from lvl 1 and I believe that if it was not fun from lvl 1 to you. Then you are not a true mesmer player.

That goes forever one here.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

It seemed to me mesmer’s damage scaled in a funny way through levels, hitting for wet paperballs until lvl20 and then raising constantly.
But still, I had fun with it from the start or I wouldn’t have played it at all. TBH, my actual mesmer is my second try in leveling the class, the first time I deleted it in frustration mostly because of the feeling about the scepter (boringboringboringboring). Leveled the second with GS/Sword-Sword or -Focus with defensive gear (yeah, you heard it) and sticked to it until I hit 80. It took ages until lvl40 to kill veterans (champions, pff. They died of boredom, mostly) but hell, everything died eventually.

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Mesmer was fun to me, from lvl 1 and I believe that if it was not fun from lvl 1 to you. Then you are not a true mesmer player.

That goes forever one here.

lol why?
I found most classes not balanced at mid/low levels..
Lacking skills/traits makes them unnecessarily hard to play…..

when your shatters do almost no damage and you cannot create many clones, your phantasm deals no damage and all you have is sword 2 its not that fun.

When i got to 80 i found myself playing using any single spell i have on 2 weapons and right bar, continuosly…

I learnt proper rotations and positioning….quite similar to my ele but with better dmg.

Not to tell that since i hit 80 i switched main u.u.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I found most classes not balanced at mid/low levels..
Lacking skills/traits makes them unnecessarily hard to play…..

Beating up mobs next to a level 1 warrior, you’d probably say “why the hell did I choose a mesmer”.

PS: I used white equipment (yeah, right!) most of the time and didn’t have any problems. It wasn’t quick, but I didn’t die often (I guess I died more often from fall damage than mobs :\)

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: Paladin Jeff.9210

Paladin Jeff.9210

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

Deceptive evasion is really the turning point. Of course you also need other traits to start doing reasonable damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wise.8025

Wise.8025

Plenty of answers here, but Mesmer was never fun to level for me from 1-80
It became easier after level 40 when I could get deceptive evasion, but never fun.

At 80 the game play for Mesmer became enjoyable in WvW and dungeons, but I don’t spend any time in the world since there is little to nothing there for me unless I’m with a group of friends or want to do a specific event.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The latter isn’t a mesmer specific problem though. We’re very capable of doing things alone (and try again without dying if it doesn’t work out).

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: pinkbunnies.4620

pinkbunnies.4620

so glad i leveled a mesmer as my first character… never thought is was “hard” or even difficult at all. Second character was a warrior and that felt like sleepwalking it was so easy by comparison.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Binary Rain.4869

Binary Rain.4869

I find it fun to level up in WvW…. It is always fun slaughtering level 80 characters when you are only level 35 and by yourself.