Why a great sword?

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xocolatl.6890

Xocolatl.6890

Just..why?

I get it that there are limited amount of items in the game, but great sword to me doesn’t quite fit the Mesmer theme. Mesmers seems more akin to the intellectual type than the brute force type. A great sword is for whacking and slashing. But we Mesmers fire laser out of their great swords as their main mode of attack.
Laser.

Let me repeat that again—L-A-S-E-R.

Why not just use rifle? We already use pistols for offhand. Why not just make a mainhand (DW) pistol?

Want to stick with a 2handed ranged weapon so it doesn’t impede on older slot, but stick with non-tech theme? How about a bow?

The attack animations could very well be applied to these other weapons with minimal change. Phantasms are basically the same anyway, so you could very well leave that. The 3rd slow could be modified to show arrows/explosions/etc jutting off from the ground instead of a sword’s tip, and we can call it a day.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

You don’t get it, we can’t do lasers without the sword!
It’s the result of your mesmer powers going through the sword that creates the laser.

Where did you get your mesmer license?

Also, my sword is made of illusions, takes a lot of intellectual power to keep it like that.
And if you can’t do this yet, just give yourself the illusion that your sword is very light, works pretty well but you can get really tired after a day like that.

(edited by Krag.6210)

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: little.6509

little.6509

Just..why?

I get it that there are limited amount of items in the game, but great sword to me doesn’t quite fit the Mesmer theme. Mesmers seems more akin to the intellectual type than the brute force type. A great sword is for whacking and slashing. But we Mesmers fire laser out of their great swords as their main mode of attack.
Laser.

Why not just use rifle? We already use pistols for offhand. Why not just make a mainhand (DW) pistol?

Want to stick with a 2handed ranged weapon so it doesn’t impede on older slot, but stick with non-tech theme? How about a bow?

The attack animations could very well be applied to these other weapons with minimal change. Phantasms are basically the same anyway, so you could very well leave that. The 3rd slow could be modified to show arrows/explosions/etc jutting off from the ground instead of a sword’s tip, and we can call it a day.

Taking this straight from the homepage

Mesmers are magical duelists who wield deception as a weapon. Using powerful illusions, clones, and phantasmal magic to confuse and distract their foes, mesmers make sure every fight is balanced in their favor and their opponents can’t believe their eyes.

They are duelists. Illusionary swordsman. I’m mained a mesmer and I really dont find it un-fitting :o

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ribos.8350

Ribos.8350

Sure, dueling is a part of it, but the big part everyone overlooks is the simplest: it looks cool. Mesmers are all about style leading to substance (we bring the razzle-dazzle!), and little looks more awesome than wielding a giant sword, even if it’s not exactly practical. But hey, it’s not like we actually USE the zweihanders for slicey purposes. But giant lasers are also cool, so shooting lasers from impractically-large swords is just about the coolest thing ever.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Illurim.6059

Illurim.6059

Also, have you ever tried to push back a bunch of mobs with… a pistol? A PISTOL? Or a Bow? Really? Pfft.

Not to mention, your zerker is going to look nowhere near as scary if he spins around with a pistol. I mean, have you seen thieves with their spinning dagger move? They look like gumby ballerinas.

Hell, I wish I could wield TWO greatswords!

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Because it looks awesome, and it makes for more varied weapon setups among classes. We are one of the GS using ones, as a cloth caster. How awesome is that?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Criselli.7462

Criselli.7462

Show me another MMO where I can play a clothie that uses a greatsword with lasers and I might consider it. Now I’m waiting for my Mesmer to get a 2h Axe.

Aiyli 80 Necro, Aista & Criselli 80 Mesmers
Aîsta & Çriselli 80 engies, Zeira Blackstar 80 Grd Meloryn 80 Ran, Vexri Crisellista 80 War
Server: Kaineng

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pip Squeak.3418

Pip Squeak.3418

Show me another MMO where I can play a clothie that uses a greatsword with lasers and I might consider it. Now I’m waiting for my Mesmer to get a 2h Axe.

Another MMO with a GS wielding laser spewing caster? Well Age of Conan had a Greatsword wielding, Demon transforming, Hellfire spewing class called a Herald of Xotli. Was quite amazing… too bad the game sucked. xD

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

But giant lasers are also cool, so shooting lasers from impractically-large swords is just about the coolest thing ever.

The other day I saw a human wielding a giant chainsaw. How crazy insane kitten is that – shooting lasers out of a flying chainsaw!

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seginus.4763

Seginus.4763

Well RIFT is adding the Harbinger soul which can conjure greatswords, battle axes, and scythes made of energy to fight in melee combat.

There was also a grindfest MMO I used to play called Luna Online where mages could use greatswords, but it generally wasn’t a good idea since swords usually had really low magic attack power.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Xocolatl.6890

But giant lasers are also cool, so shooting lasers from impractically-large swords is just about the coolest thing ever.

The other day I saw a human wielding a giant chainsaw. How crazy insane kitten is that – shooting lasers out of a flying chainsaw!

Err…ok, I think if it is the chainsaw skin, then I can totally let it slide.

I guess it is true that we are about deception. Nothing is more deceptive than a guy walking up to you with a huge sword..then proceeding to shoot your face off with the said sword. Must confuse the hell out of everyone.

Guess what I need is a sword skin that looks all crystal-ly and stuff.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Illurim.6059

Illurim.6059

Try the Asura weapon skin – looks cool. Useable in sPvP, but not sure if you can get the equivalent in PvE for non-Asura (haven’t looked into it).

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ayanavi.1904

Ayanavi.1904

My only regret as a Mesmer is I don’t have a skill that lets me imitate Unlimited Blade Works or the Gates of Babylon.

Can you imagine every Greatsword Skin in the game emerging from a ripple in reality just behind your Mesmer, all of them swiveling immediately to face our target, or a ground-targeted area, and then unleashing laser after laser onto it? Or crashing down on that spot relentlessly, turning it into nothing but a hill of swords?

>WTB Elite Skill for that.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Xocolatl.6890

My only regret as a Mesmer is I don’t have a skill that lets me imitate Unlimited Blade Works or the Gates of Babylon.

Can you imagine every Greatsword Skin in the game emerging from a ripple in reality just behind your Mesmer, all of them swiveling immediately to face our target, or a ground-targeted area, and then unleashing laser after laser onto it? Or crashing down on that spot relentlessly, turning it into nothing but a hill of swords?

>WTB Elite Skill for that.

Big time.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Ideally I’d be able to send me and a single enemy into a separate pocket reality for a limited amount of time, where only we can do battle.

Surrounded by walls of slowly rotating pink sword fences.

I think this happened in Bleach before, IIRC.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Try the Asura weapon skin – looks cool. Useable in sPvP, but not sure if you can get the equivalent in PvE for non-Asura (haven’t looked into it).

Market square in the centre of the arrivals deck of Rata Sum, the tier 3 cutural weapons vendor (Peacemaker’s Greatsword, 63,000 karma).

Cultural weapons are accessible to all races, unlike armour which is specific to just one race

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Necroshen.3698

Necroshen.3698

Well if they change the Mesmer to anything like your suggestions Xocolatl.6890 I would stop playing a Mesmer I’m afraid. I love the Great Sword I think it suits us perfectly because it isn’t a “typical weapon” you would associate with our look and feel, but the fact that you don’t even hold it when your attacking but rather suspend it between your hands and fire rippling energy through it whilst it rotates blasting down your foes it’s just pure awesome. Not to mention throwing it and your phatasm blade you can blast straight out of the ground. The Great Sword is by far one of the best weapons we have. Think of it this way, your using it but your not really using it lol its your conduit for energy output to beat down the bad guys.

Oww shiney.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arngrim.3786

Arngrim.3786

Beeing a duelist id love to see “rapier” as a weapon choice. Or at least a one handed sword that had that style.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Ok our mesmers are using tools to their advantage to fool, confuse, and intimidate their opponents. What would do that better than a greatsword? Especially since we fool them into believing we can toss it and have it bounce around like it’s rubber ball but hits like a mack truck.

I love the GS on our mesmers. I don’t call it a laser I see it as a projection of our mental abilities.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: EasymodeX.4062

EasymodeX.4062

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Surrounded by walls of slowly rotating pink sword fences.
I think this happened in Bleach before, IIRC.

Have to admit the GS clone spam + Shatters reminds me of senbonzakura.

Especially when we had that bug where illusion weapons didn’t expire when they died. I remember having a bunch of swords floating in midair after shattering at the end of a fight and was like “… really?”

If you can’t read English, please do not reply to my post.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Beeing a duelist id love to see “rapier” as a weapon choice. Or at least a one handed sword that had that style.

Yes, I’ve been wondering this before. There’s Cutlasses, but no Rapiers or Sabers, are there?

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joystick.4103

Joystick.4103

I dint even read this thread couse someone complaining about a wizard using a freacking Greatsword seems too surreal to me.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arani.9057

Arani.9057

why a GS?

1. The izerker would look kitteny with a pistol
  2. the #2 ability would look silly throwing a riffle over your head all last of the Mohicans style and all
  3. Chics dig scars and big swords
Aradea [AoS] /\/\ESS/\/\ERR of Jade Quarry (GG SBI)
I’ll show you exactly what a Mesmer can do, SS cost extra.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Artemeas.8763

Artemeas.8763

It’s just awesome, are you trolling, cause I am this totally lithe/petite/super hot Sylvari chick and I have a sword that is as big as I am, and it shoots lazers.

I think this is a good thing.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I dislike seeing Greatswords on Mesmers myself, but who am I to decide how other people like to play their character? I just refuse to use a GS on my own Mesmer. :P

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pay.8713

Pay.8713

Because nothing beats a purple glowing chainsaw spewing lasers while it spins in midair.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: midnight tea.3681

midnight tea.3681

First of all, total agreement the Mesmer should have a mainhand pistol. I confess I also wish we could use a rifle and would have preferred it as our 1200 range option.

That said? The greatsword as a 1200 range option is totally a subversion of expectation. Deceptive, you could say. It does fit with the theme of the profession!

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ninjah.6298

Ninjah.6298

Dual Pistols would have been good, pretty sure casters with greatswords firing kitten out of them goes back to stuff like AD&D, if someone more geeky[:)] could confirm this, we can be on our way.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arani.9057

Arani.9057

I kind of see it like the imagery of you see Mesmer as king duelist, so pistols and swords are what i think for dueling… so Mesmer out there duel wielding swords looking flashy and moving around so fast you cant keep track of who is who… speed…

Then she claps them together and its now one great sword and becomes a power focus. She moves slower but with more raw power rather than the speed and evasion of the dual swords, with all the trickery of the fun house hall of mirrors she blasts you as you are forces to smash each mirror one by one until you find the right image. If you can find her before she finishes you off you have a chance…

this is my imagery of the Mesmer great-sword.

Aradea [AoS] /\/\ESS/\/\ERR of Jade Quarry (GG SBI)
I’ll show you exactly what a Mesmer can do, SS cost extra.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: KrakenAZ.9367

KrakenAZ.9367

GS as implemented is the epitome of deception. A giant two-handed weapon that is almost entirely ranged. Can’t think of a better way to highlight the nature of a mesmer.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kathmandu.2417

Kathmandu.2417

GS as implemented is the epitome of deception. A giant two-handed weapon that is almost entirely ranged. Can’t think of a better way to highlight the nature of a mesmer.

This.

What I really hate, though, is that most of the great swords in this game are not great swords but shovels. C’mon, Anet, give us some decent Zweihändlers.

13th November. The Grind Wars begin.

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

The greatsword is a wonderful way for a mesmer to use a weapon. She takes a bashing weapon and channels her power through it. Use the force Luke! Simple and practical and at the same time powerful. Smart like a Mesmer!

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Another MMO with a GS wielding laser spewing caster? Well Age of Conan had a Greatsword wielding, Demon transforming, Hellfire spewing class called a Herald of Xotli. Was quite amazing… too bad the game sucked. xD

Had a HoX as main in AoC called like my Mesmer here.
I love caster classes with 2h slashing weapons. I like transformations (that’s why I rolled a Norn – and yeah, transformations in GW2 suck).

In the end the answer to your question, why greatswords, is: because it’s awesome!

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Well if they change the Mesmer to anything like your suggestions Xocolatl.6890 I would stop playing a Mesmer I’m afraid. I love the Great Sword I think it suits us perfectly because it isn’t a “typical weapon” you would associate with our look and feel, but the fact that you don’t even hold it when your attacking but rather suspend it between your hands and fire rippling energy through it whilst it rotates blasting down your foes it’s just pure awesome. Not to mention throwing it and your phatasm blade you can blast straight out of the ground. The Great Sword is by far one of the best weapons we have. Think of it this way, your using it but your not really using it lol its your conduit for energy output to beat down the bad guys.

It doesn’t rotate in Asura hands we just hold it! I want to have the cool animation like humans and sylvari and (norn mesmers?)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

the greatsword is my favorite wepon for the mesmer i fell in love with it in the first open beta. and yes im a human i levitate the greatsword in the air between my hands chanaling the weapon into a beam yes it says in the description a beam. and on top of that i somman a phantom that uses whirling attack at the enime that cripples them. and i can stab my great sword into the ground and stabbing the enimi with a illusan sword what else is there more to ask for lol.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aank.4837

Aank.4837

I thought the same thing, from a different point of view apparently. “Wait. What? Shooting lasers out of a great sword?! I gotta get me one o’ dem!”

Why a great sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

In an early interview they spoke about how the other races have influenced one another when it comes to the various professions. It was hinted that the Mesmer greatsword was likely a practice derived from the Norn.