Why are Mesmers essential in dungeons?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

So, in the never-ending indecision between Mesmer and Necromancer, I have heard many say a Mesmer is essential for dungeons.
Why?
The only things I can think of are Time Warp, which I don’t mind, and Portal-pulling people through the dungeon, which isn’t as fun for me, especially since I don’t know the dungeons very well.
Is there any other reason that Mesmer’s are essential for dungeons?

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

A mesmer’s unique use in dungeons are centered around two skills: Portal and Invisibility Mass. Portal has been heavily nerfed, and Invisibility has always been somewhat conditional (in a good way) to begin with, but they are both skills that can allow entire groups to pass exceedingly difficult dungeon obstibles with ease if used strategically. That aside, mesmers lack healing abilities, but have good self-defense if that is included in their builds. They can spike well (shatters) and have good enough sustained dps.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

Mesmers have massive amounts of all around utility.

Group quickness with time warp.
Fast group movement with portal.
Massive amounts of projectile reflection through various skills.
Great group aoe condition removal.
Good damage, both single target and aoe.
Good aoe healing with mantras.
Good cc/defiant stripping.

Mesmers are great at doing everything, and there are quite a few things that only they can do. That’s why they are required in groups.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

^
this, except the damage part and plus “survivable ressurector”

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

^ how aside 3-4 sec distortion?
Its the 1st reason i get downed

imho pve mesmer is overrated :|

its good like any non guardian/warrior profession

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Nretep.2564

^ how aside 3-4 sec distortion?
Its the 1st reason i get downed

imho pve mesmer is overrated :|

its good like any non guardian/warrior profession

don’t go berserker and complain that you get downed. Mesmer is not the class to go berserker. If you want damage, go Warr, Thief or Ranger.

I usually die last in my parties (and not due to Ranger/ Thief playstyle) and revive the whole party. I see my role as (de-)supporter and reviver rather than dealing damage.

Survival abilities:

• F3, F4
  • Sword #2
  • Dueling 5 + >60% crit
  • Blink
  • Inspiration IV
  • Inspiration X (+ MoP)
  • Dueling VII
  • Chaos 5
  • Water runeset
  • Sigil of Blood
  • Inspiration VII

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

i never complained of being downed….i said i almost ONLY get downed when trying to ress people.

You said you mesmer is a great resser so i asked how do you ress people without dying…

In dungeon there is no need of more than 2 non zerkers….and i don t see mesmer fit that role.

P.S. referring to arah/fotm30+ where trash mobs hit for 10-15.000 and stuff like that.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Mesmer

Nretep.2564

^
well, I’ve misunderstood that. Yeah, becoming downed is usually caused by helping others, same here. But this only happens on occasional situations.

What can be done while ressing:

• Healing Mantra (most important)
  • Inspiration I (Feedback on res)
  • Feedback (active use)
  • F3
  • F4
  • Mirror Images + F1/ F3/ F4
  • Mantra of Pain (to kill low HP mobs, prepare heal or getting vigor)
  • Blink (I usually use blink to be instantly there, but if not it helps you to flee)
  • Constant Vigor to interrupt ress
  • Illusion of Life (lol, joke … sry)
  • GS #5 before res
  • Time Warp (speed res; random parties complain that I barely use TimeWarp for damage. My usual party complains that random mesmers don’t use TimeWarp to ress)
  • Mass invis

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

does mass invis works on downed player too? like shadow refuge?

GW2 balance:

in Mesmer

Nretep.2564

does mass invis works on downed player too? like shadow refuge?

yes, just be aware of its cast time and super short durations (mesmer invisibilities suck). I prefer TimeWarp for ressing.

in Mesmer

Posted by: manudiao.9803

manudiao.9803

^

not sure if serious or troll. my zerkers and blurred frenzy hits like a truck. auto attacks on 1,5k minimum isn’t that bad either. I don’t see the point going into more support then actually needed. you just slow down your whole group/ dungeon run whatever. If you’ve got a bad group that gets downed 24/7 and you need to rezz them alot of times it’s not your fault your failing, it’s theirs.

go full support in fractal 40+ and you will end up being in it for 4hours+ . :p

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/mesmer/?4.0|c.1g.h2.d.1g.h1|1.1g.h8|1g.73.1g.73.1n.73.1g.73.1p.73.1g.73|2v.0.3v.0.2v.0.2s.0.3s.0.2v.0|k3a.k2a.0.p28.5|0.0|31.3k.39.38.3q|e

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

^

not sure if serious or troll. my zerkers and blurred frenzy hits like a truck. auto attacks on 1,5k minimum isn’t that bad either. I don’t see the point going into more support then actually needed. you just slow down your whole group/ dungeon run whatever. If you’ve got a bad group that gets downed 24/7 and you need to rezz them alot of times it’s not your fault your failing, it’s theirs.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/mesmer/?4.0|c.1g.h2.d.1g.h1|1.1g.h8|1g.73.1g.73.1n.73.1g.73.1p.73.1g.73|2v.0.3v.0.2v.0.2s.0.3s.0.2v.0|k3a.k2a.0.p28.5|0.0|31.3k.39.38.3q|e

It annoys me people who always say GO DPS GO DPS…..

Let people build their character the way they want to.
I am a tank Mesmer, I can solo tank even lupi.
I dont do much damage, but I can survive anything.
It my character and I will build it how I want to.

So I am the tank in my guild and we got a couple healers and the rest love going full dps.

Which, with me and 4 of are dps. None of them die at all. But with a full team of dps they die like freaking crazy.

Also with me, they pretty much never even get hit. So they dont gotta run around and wast time. They can just stand and nuke the mobs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

Mesmer is not the class to go berserker.

sorry for the off topic but this is absolutely false. i agree if you say that berserker is not the best set for first runners but this, about that class, no.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

Both Berserker and Soldier are quite viable for PvE. It mainly depends on what your group consists of. I usually run Berserker gear/trinkets and 30 in inspiration for the group utilities while the rest of my build/utilities are damage oriented. Can still do very good DPS while bringing almost all the utility a mesmer can bring.

Sometimes, though only very rarely, i swap to my cleric or soldier gear or simply swap characters when the group is very bad/weak, as i feel that my guardian(~1500 healing power) is simply more superior in the boon/healing support department.

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

in Mesmer

Nretep.2564

The question is “why are mesmers ESSENTIAL in dungeons?”. If the question would be “why are guardians ESSENTIAL in dungeons?” those berserker mesmers should also say “for damage”.
If I had to choose between a damage mesmer and damage guardian, I’d get the guardian. Or the warrior or the ranger or the elementalist and probably even prefer a damage necro.

I didn’t say that meserms can’t deal damage, but I said, that they’re not meant to. If you want to deal damage, play another class. Mesmer is a utility class. In my eyes any mesmer with >50% berserker (orientation) failed in his profession selection.

Only speaking of pve (topic says “dungeons”).

in Mesmer

LordByron.8369

Mesmer is not the class to go berserker.

sorry for the off topic but this is absolutely false. i agree if you say that berserker is not the best set for first runners but this, about that class, no.

you quoted wrong poster…
I am full zerker (even on my alt)….

P.S. once you grasp how a fight work, you are not supposed to die anyway….
Strong DPS reduce the chance of being downed….getting the most of your 3 seconds invulnerability skills and stuff to get rid of threats before they can hit you.

You learn that in fotm.
Once you learn perfectly a boss mechanic, for example, zerker make it EASIER not harder…

Until they design random fights in dungeons, zerker will Always be the set to go :/

GW2 balance:

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

oh i see, im still bad with forums sorry.
i agree with you tho and i would also say that words like tank and healer ( as i read in other posts) are quite odd in this game. the best part of mesmer is that it can wear full berserker and still provide an awesome support for the team.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Berserker Mesmers are absolutely viable. I did FoTM 20 without any Agony resistance and (party wipes due to pugs excluded) only died to the Jade Maw. The guild member with me (the only reason I got into the group) found it amusing that even on the few wipes I always died last.

If you’re smart on a Mesmer you don’t need defensive stats. Hide behind your clones so projectiles hit them, using Mixed Berry Pies combined with Spatial Surge/Blurred Frenzy is amazing healing for those minor hits you do take.

The thing about dungeons is that eventually they get hard enough that you’ll die in two hits no matter what. Whether you have 16k or 24k health, getting hit for 12k twice kills you. Eventually it’s all a matter of not making mistakes and killing the enemy ASAP.

Mesmers are prized for that very reason. We can bring decent damage while remaining survivable and having a lot of good utility.

(edited by Dastion.3106)

in Mesmer

Posted by: manudiao.9803

manudiao.9803

^

It annoys me people who always say GO DPS GO DPS…..

Let people build their character the way they want to.
I am a tank Mesmer, I can solo tank even lupi.
I dont do much damage, but I can survive anything.
It my character and I will build it how I want to.

So I am the tank in my guild and we got a couple healers and the rest love going full dps.

Which, with me and 4 of are dps. None of them die at all. But with a full team of dps they die like freaking crazy.

Also with me, they pretty much never even get hit. So they dont gotta run around and wast time. They can just stand and nuke the mobs.

Tank?
Healer
?
Are we playing the same game???
I would also say that people trying to heal the group picked the wrong game. This game is all about dodging damage, playing smart, cc enemies, debuff them, buff the group WHILE dealing a good amout of dmg.
There is really no right or wrong, but there are different ways to play your class. Different ways that helps the group overall, or that prevents you from getting 2 shotted (because you picked pure vita thoughness).
All I’m saying is that you can feel the difference if every member of the group deals dmg or if single players just deal half the dmg they could.