Why are we the self defeating community?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

Except I’m pertaining to the fact that without the spec patch or any mention of it, Anet liked to ignore our call for our balance and being put on par with other classes. I’m pertaining to the fact of how ANet treats this class in terms of their “balance”.

Since every class shares this opinion, I guess they did, in fact, achieve balance?

Yea cause being non-viable in high tier was totally balanced.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Yea cause being non-viable in high tier was totally balanced.

“non-viable” = I lose 54% of the time

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

Why do people say Mesmer was non-viable pre-patch? It was a common choice in high-tier pvp on EU. Just ‘cause NA didn’t use mesmers, doesn’t make it non-viable. EU > NA in terms of spvp.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Because some pro-gamer somewhere said Mesmers aren’t viable. Fact: That means you’ll never ever win, even once.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

Mesmer so strong my grandma pown spvp with it
#easymode #learner class #nerf plz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Fighting scrubs had the same result before the patch as it did after. Unless you’re suggesting you personally couldn’t produce any results before the patch. That’s really sad for you :(

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Fighting scrubs had the same result before the patch as it did after. Unless you’re suggesting you personally couldn’t produce any results before the patch. That’s really sad for you

I now have trouble fighting mesmers tbh, the amount of distorts, blinds, reflects is annoying.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Fighting scrubs had the same result before the patch as it did after. Unless you’re suggesting you personally couldn’t produce any results before the patch. That’s really sad for you

I now have trouble fighting mesmers tbh, the amount of distorts, blinds, reflects is annoying.

Oh yeah, no doubt. While on Mes I have to be far more aware of the situation, and enter full cerebral mode to make sure I maintain dominance over the fight and don’t get caught out. Even a scrubie Mesmer can be super slippery now. Won just about every encounter though, certainly all 1v1’s. It’s those sneaky blindside +1 bursts that get you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Sorry, if that seems dramatic, but I dont see thieves in there forum telling people they need to nerf SA or thier burst damage

They did, over and over – possibly the reason why it got nerfed with the patch – the line is pretty broken now.

in Mesmer

RevanCorana.8942

Oh yeah, no doubt. While on Mes I have to be far more aware of the situation, and enter full cerebral mode to make sure I maintain dominance over the fight and don’t get caught out. Even a scrubie Mesmer can be super slippery now. Won just about every encounter though, certainly all 1v1’s. It’s those sneaky blindside +1 bursts that get you.

lol no I do have a lvl1 mesmer to see how it plays in pvp.
I just stealth, burst, wait for the heal, interrupt it for 15 sec added cooldown, finish it. soo easy.

True that the only way to down a mesm is to burst in 1 go before he can stealth/teleport/invuln/blind.
So let’s be honest just a sec, it’s the easiest class to play and probably the strongest atm.

My prediction: next sPVP finals: mesmer x5 vs mesmer x5
sounds fun! (pun intended)

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

lol no I do have a lvl1 mesmer to see how it plays in pvp.
I just stealth, burst, wait for the heal, interrupt it for 15 sec added cooldown, finish it. soo easy.

True that the only way to down a mesm is to burst in 1 go before he can stealth/teleport/invuln/blind.
So let’s be honest just a sec, it’s the easiest class to play and probably the strongest atm.

My prediction: next sPVP finals: mesmer x5 vs mesmer x5
sounds fun! (pun intended)

Yeah… there’s still a huge gap between scroobies and long standing mesmer mains. Just like when I took an engie out for the first time (back pre patch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzZu5KPfQU

Which I also did with Power LB Ranger and Necro. Deck out a power spec, go in for a skill spam rofl face roll for maximum effect.

So yah, well done I guess. Good luck with your 5 man newbie mes spec vs 5 experienced mesmers -_-u

Oh and btw, nothing said in the bolded part wasn’t possible pre patch (15s cd aside). Yet good players didn’t let themselves play into it before, same as now.

(edited by Ross Biddle.2367)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

well mesmers are broken atm,I one shot thieves so easy it is like killing ambient creature.

in Mesmer

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Can we please stop calling things broken when they aren’t.

Engineer grenade trait is broken (it is not working anywhere near intended), guardian symbol trait symbolic avenger is broken.

What is not broken is PU, Mesmer burst or any of the other stuff that is actually working as blooming intended.

It is strong, very strong, too powerful however it is not broken. Broken is something that is not working properly, strong is something that is working properly but over performing.

in Mesmer

RevanCorana.8942

Engineer grenade trait is broken (it is not working anywhere near intended), guardian symbol trait symbolic avenger is broken.

What is not broken is PU, Mesmer burst or any of the other stuff that is actually working as blooming intended.

It is strong, very strong, too powerful however it is not broken. Broken is something that is not working properly, strong is something that is working properly but over performing.

Right it’s not unnintendedly strong it’s just abusively strong.
Thanks for that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

mesmer is defintiely on the strong side at the moment.
But many people are over-exaggerating it. There are other builds that are even worse than some mesmer builds.

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Thanks for that.

I seem to remember a similar thing was said by many about ranger rapid fire and many would certainly say that the skill is “unintendedly strong”. What are your thoughts on that given you spend so much time in those forums?

My point stands though, the skills are not “broken” as many are saying. They are working as intended unlike the grenades and grenadier trait, guardian symbols and symbolic avenger. You know, things that are actually broken not just unintentionally strong.

in Mesmer

RevanCorana.8942

Thanks for that.

I seem to remember a similar thing was said by many about ranger rapid fire and many would certainly say that the skill is “unintendedly strong”. What are your thoughts on that given you spend so much time in those forums?

My point stands though, the skills are not “broken” as many are saying. They are working as intended unlike the grenades and grenadier trait, guardian symbols and symbolic avenger. You know, things that are actually broken not just unintentionally strong.

Your “point”? You mean when you said “broken” unequal “overpowered” ? Fabulous point captain obvious thanks for the illumination
The difference between LB ranger and Torch-Mantra mesmer is that the first seem OP to ignorant players and the 2nd actually is.

Back to the topic Anet nerf mesmer plz.
I’m ok with the clone cloud nuisance not the perma stealth on top of tat

(edited by RevanCorana.8942)

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

The difference between LB ranger and Torch-Mantra mesmer is that the first seem OP to ignorant players and the 2nd actually is.

Said the Ranger. Unsurprisingly.

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

Thanks for that.

Your “point”? You mean when you said “broken” unequal “overpowered” ? Fabulous point captain obvious thanks for the illumination

Back to the topic Anet nerf mesmer plz.
I’m ok with the clone cloud nuisance not the perma stealth on top of tat

My point if you bothered to read and think was that people are calling our traits, skills and half our stuff broken when they are factually working not only as intended but a large amount the same as before patch.

If you bothered to put in any amount of effort into reading you’d have realised this was directed not at you but the guy above my post on what is broken and what is too strong.

Mesmer stealth doesn’t need a nerf it just seems OP to ignorant players.

Before you bring up that PU got changed and so did the torch trait, yes they did however the skills mirror blade, mind wrack and mind stab all used in combo haven’t. This is where a lot of the QQ is coming from and only the PvP amulets have changed which would make it a stat issue.

(edited by apharma.3741)

in Mesmer

RevanCorana.8942

Said the Ranger. Unsurprisingly.

Lool my main is a Guard but anyway
Are you really implying ranger is on par with mesmer?

in Mesmer

RevanCorana.8942

My point if you bothered to read and think was that people are calling our traits, skills and half our stuff broken when they are factually working not only as intended but a large amount the same as before patch.

If you bothered to put in any amount of effort into reading you’d have realised this was directed not at you but the guy above my post on what is broken and what is too strong.

Before you bring up that PU got changed and so did the torch trait, yes they did however the skills mirror blade, mind wrack and mind stab all used in combo haven’t. This is where a lot of the QQ is coming from and only the PvP amulets have changed which would make it a stat issue.

Broken or OP I don’t care it needs to be fixed either way
Or it’s gona turn into Mesmer Wars 2

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Are you really implying ranger is on par with mesmer?

No? Where did I say that?

More importantly, but this is really difficult to get through to the more vocal sPvP crowd, why would it matter?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

More so than the game’s been Guard Wars 2 in the past?

Most mesmers I’ve run into recently are total pushovers. This is mesmer-on-mesmer (sorry, only have time to actually be truly competent with one character, really) but, like, there’s a huge, easily evident skill gap. My friends playing stuff like ranger, guard, ele, engie, and necro still dunk no them regularly.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in Mesmer

apharma.3741

In case the massive patch and all the changes failed to register with you. This last update was absolutely huge. It broke (you know as in they don’t work as they should) some skills and traits. It also inflated a lot of people’s stats in all areas of the game as they no longer wasted it in trait lines.

Why does it matter? Well because if something gets a damage nerf, then they decide everyone is actually doing too much damage and tweak damage in the way of stats, we can end up in situations where skills are just plain old rubbish due to hasty and short sighted people calling for nerfs. How would you like it if guards conditions got gutted then condition damage was tweaked leaving guards unable to even keep burn up 50% of the time?

In addition if something is broken and ends up being nerfed but then gets fixed and ends up worse than ever (see ileap history) it ends up causing a lot of problems and creates animosity within the user base of that class.

in Mesmer

Sandrox.9524

Broken is when I can one shot heavy armor w/o the use of shatter even.
Broken is when i can 1v3 thieves with just using one shatter burst.
Broken is when mesmer can stealth more than thief with PU which is thief sort of unique ability.

I dont want to be that strong that ppl would hate me for playing the class.I dont want to be engineer player that ppl hates to fight and would refuse to fight in some cases. This stuff is way strong and need to tuned down and above all it is not fun,too easy is not fun,maybe at start.

in Mesmer

Ross Biddle.2367

Broken is when mesmer can stealth more than thief with PU which is thief sort of unique ability.

I dont want to be that strong that ppl would hate me for playing the class.I dont want to be engineer player that ppl hates to fight and would refuse to fight in some cases. This stuff is way strong and need to tuned down and above all it is not fun,too easy is not fun,maybe at start.

Enemy Mesmers make combat fun again.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

People are asking for some guardian skills to be nerfed at the moment. Just saying… it’s not just the mesmer forums.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

I dueled an actually good thief today (one of my guildmates). My conclusion is that whoever says mesmers squish thieves effortlessly is probably a pretty rubbish thief. Post-patch I roll over thieves all the time, but they’re doing stuff like Heartseekering into my face and hoping I don’t shatter; that kind of sloppy spammy play deserves to get punished hard anyway. Fighting a thief who understand control, positioning, and initiative management is still pretty tricky.

Of course, there’s room to adjust here and there (e.g. Blinding Dissipation really shouldn’t hit through block-evade). But, like, as a baseline? I’d say it’s a pretty even fight, and kinda fun if you can stand all the stealth nonsense on both sides of it

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

No.

That’s not broken.

You completely missed the point of the person you cited. What you complain about is balance issues. I.e.: stuff can be unbalanced, either overpowered or underpowered.
Very different from broken.

Broken is:

• Symbolic Avenger
  • Grenadier

Stuff like that.

Also, Thieves still kill Mesmers nicely. Honestly the only difference is that you now have to approach Mesmers like other classes, i.e.: care about the enemy. Instead of just HS-spam-to-win.
Mesmers are no longer thief-fodder. Or well, they are, but not as easy to kill. Still easy.

in Mesmer

Sandrox.9524

No.

That’s not broken.

You completely missed the point of the person you cited. What you complain about is balance issues. I.e.: stuff can be unbalanced, either overpowered or underpowered.

Broken is:

• Symbolic Avenger
  • Grenadier

Stuff like that.

Also, Thieves still kill Mesmers nicely. Honestly the only difference is that you now have to approach Mesmers like other classes, i.e.: care about the enemy. Instead of just HS-spam-to-win.
Mesmers are no longer thief-fodder. Or well, they are, but not as easy to kill. Still easy.

Should you read more slowly my post,you would have noticed that I havent said anything about thieves cant kill mesmers.I said mesmers can easly kill thieves. And im not pulling it out of my butt chick,i litreally downed 3 thieves with shatter combo.
+ I can stun every 5 second while doing so. It’s godmode,and that is why it is BROKEN not unbalanced cause unbalanced means that some things should be tuned up or down,but when the whole gokitten class is messed up(right in the class core mechanic),the class is BROKEN so yes Guardian mass symbol thing is broken too but stun every 5s and more or equal stealth to thief is BROKEN. And I play both classes(I play all but mostly those 2 and a bit of necromancer).

And about mesmer VS thief thingy you talking about-anet already gave mesmers enough defense with manipulation tweaks and the fact IP is core.+gave more stealth.this alone makes mesmer more notable to thieves.And good mesmers beat thieves easly before patch aswell.part of d/d thieves,mesmers,and I speaking for myself,never been in tough spot against thieves.

Since I played mesmer afterpatch and facerolled almost everyone,I stopped playing it.Anet just ruined mesmers for me,they amde it too easy where they said they want to make mesmer more skilled base.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

strange community indeed, when good buffs are given, you guys want nerfs? Seriously, is there a medical condition that describe this strange behavior?

in Mesmer

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

strange community indeed, when good buffs are given, you guys want nerfs? Seriously, is there a medical condition that describe this strange behavior?

A functioning sense of fairplay isn’t pathological.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

No.

That’s not broken.

Broken is:

• Symbolic Avenger
  • Grenadier

Stuff like that.

Should you read more slowly my post,you would have noticed that I havent said anything about thieves cant kill mesmers.I said mesmers can easly kill thieves. And im not pulling it out of my butt chick,i litreally downed 3 thieves with shatter combo.
+ I can stun every 5 second while doing so. It’s godmode,and that is why it is BROKEN not unbalanced cause unbalanced means that some things should be tuned up or down,but when the whole gokitten class is messed up(right in the class core mechanic),the class is BROKEN so yes Guardian mass symbol thing is broken too but stun every 5s and more or equal stealth to thief is BROKEN. And I play both classes(I play all but mostly those 2 and a bit of necromancer).

And about mesmer VS thief thingy you talking about-anet already gave mesmers enough defense with manipulation tweaks and the fact IP is core.+gave more stealth.this alone makes mesmer more notable to thieves.And good mesmers beat thieves easly before patch aswell.part of d/d thieves,mesmers,and I speaking for myself,never been in tough spot against thieves.

Since I played mesmer afterpatch and facerolled almost everyone,I stopped playing it.Anet just ruined mesmers for me,they amde it too easy where they said they want to make mesmer more skilled base.

……You….actually wrote an entire post of contradictions…

To respond to my 25(?) Day old thread.
This question was asked because during the patch week. The first thing people did, was complain about mes damage and mes stealth,. Ignoring other classes that could do close to the same or better damage and stealth. I made this post to ask and find out why, when everyone was in the phase of learning, that some people who “claimed” to be mesmer mains wanted everything nerfed. Before a new meta could even blossom.
Over the past few weeks I am thankful that A-net didn’t completely cave into the whine.
I am also grateful to the people in the mesmer community that tested more things and identified more things that could be changed to put the class in line vs just blindly nerfing everything.
So some community things I think we can all agree or come to an agreement on.
CS needs to have a longer ICD
BD needs to be fixed to be dodgeable and blockable
PU needs to buff stealth duration possibly a flat 2seconds.
Veil needs to be buffed
Our staff trait needs to be buffed or give a flat reduction.

Bugs need to be fixed for everyone.

I think almost everyone has come to terms that this damage output for all classes may be the new direction gw2 is going. And I make that assumption because of the world boss changes, and I’m betting we will see that change spread to the rest of the game.

P.S.
I have noticed more people coming up with unconventional builds to deal with this burst meta.
Go go tank necro

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

A functioning sense of fairplay isn’t pathological.

+1

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

@Solori:
for now, replace PU nerf with fixing the bug where The Pledge does 3x as much cooldown reduction as it’s supposed to. Frankly, replacing the conditional cdr on The Pledge entirely might make all the difference, as long mesmer stealth becomes much harder to keep up without it, but we won’t know until they do, because The Pledge is adding so much stealth uptime that it’s distorting everyone’s experience with PU.

in Mesmer

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

people don’t like fighting mesmers… never have never will. There are plenty of classes that can blow all their cooldowns and drop a zerker build. Now mesmers in addition to being annoying are dangerous as well.

I don’t like fighting mesmers either on any of my classes so I understand the annoyance.

There is some sort of weird Stockholm syndrome going on with mesmers waiting for the nerf hammer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

@Solori:
for now, replace PU nerf with fixing the bug where The Pledge does 3x as much cooldown reduction as it’s supposed to. Frankly, replacing the conditional cdr on The Pledge entirely might make all the difference, as long mesmer stealth becomes much harder to keep up without it, but we won’t know until they do, because The Pledge is adding so much stealth uptime that it’s distorting everyone’s experience with PU.

I think it goes a little beyond that.
I have to test this, but I believe stealth for a mesmer is stacking beyond what I originally thought was supposed to be a stealth cap ( 13s) and I thought ( maybe I was wrong) that stealth was capped to 5-6 seconds in spvp, I noticed from playing my thief that I didn’t stay stealthed from SR as long as I did in WvW.
I do agree though, the pledge should be fixed.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

@Solori:

I think it goes a little beyond that.
I have to test this, but I believe stealth for a mesmer is stacking beyond what I originally thought was supposed to be a stealth cap ( 13s) and I thought ( maybe I was wrong) that stealth was capped to 5-6 seconds in spvp, I noticed from playing my thief that I didn’t stay stealthed from SR as long as I did in WvW.
I do agree though, the pledge should be fixed.

It may be more complicated, but nerfing a GM trait should probably wait until they’ve untangled those strands of bugs. The Pledge right now is simply so strong via bug that I don’t think we can fully trust reports on the power of PU in regards to Mesmer stealth. Fix first, then reevaluate later.

in Mesmer

Sandrox.9524

No.

That’s not broken.

Broken is:

• Symbolic Avenger
  • Grenadier

Stuff like that.

……You….actually wrote an entire post of contradictions…

To respond to my 25(?) Day old thread.
This question was asked because during the patch week. The first thing people did, was complain about mes damage and mes stealth,. Ignoring other classes that could do close to the same or better damage and stealth. I made this post to ask and find out why, when everyone was in the phase of learning, that some people who “claimed” to be mesmer mains wanted everything nerfed. Before a new meta could even blossom.
Over the past few weeks I am thankful that A-net didn’t completely cave into the whine.
I am also grateful to the people in the mesmer community that tested more things and identified more things that could be changed to put the class in line vs just blindly nerfing everything.
So some community things I think we can all agree or come to an agreement on.
CS needs to have a longer ICD
BD needs to be fixed to be dodgeable and blockable
PU needs to buff stealth duration possibly a flat 2seconds.
Veil needs to be buffed
Our staff trait needs to be buffed or give a flat reduction.

Bugs need to be fixed for everyone.

I think almost everyone has come to terms that this damage output for all classes may be the new direction gw2 is going. And I make that assumption because of the world boss changes, and I’m betting we will see that change spread to the rest of the game.

P.S.
I have noticed more people coming up with unconventional builds to deal with this burst meta.
Go go tank necro

Why so many ppl got reading issues?! look when I posted it….16 days ago!!

in Mesmer

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

more nerfs, might as well start this one up again…

Keep it up all of you that keep calling for nerfs, thinking Anet would actually make the correct choice in nerf the necessary traits while keeping the others. So naive.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer