Why do people use Greatsword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iconoklast.2389

Iconoklast.2389

For PvP it’s a great way to close gaps. 2 and 3 work in close range, the knockback on 5 is clutch too. I also personally don’t find many issues with iZerker either. Maybe I’m just lucky and get good hits out of it.

Iconoklast – Guardian / Icono Clone – Mesmer
Tiny Icono – Engineer / The Icono – Elementalist
SoS – Empyrean Knights [EK] YB – The Coasters [TC]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Some people just like to play a caster class as a ranged character. While I personally don’t mind (I like to optimize my build depending on what I am doing), I know people that only play ranged.

In the end, only few players ever come to the forums and fewer care about any meta or “best dps” builds.
They play because it is fun, and if they have fun playing ranged, they a) either continue playing ranged or if ranged is no longer viable b) stop playing.

As far as I know this game wasn’t sold as MMMORPG (the extra M is for melee). Min-maxers gonna min-max, haters gonna hate, most people don’t give a kitten on what other people think as long as they enjoy what they do.

There is really not any more to that topic. People will do what they enjoy.

The OP is looking for practical reasons, not “play how you want” reasons.

The conflict arises where people try to claim it’s an objectively good weapon, and not just “I like lasers”.

I like lasers

I’m still annoyed that 16 page or so GS Thread was deleted. xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If you don t have a GS in your inventory, you are playing without a subpar build.
And you are slowing your team.

That is why you should have EACH weapon with you.

Also i would say i met some of the players from the previous GS thread…and they ragequitted when they died with pugs.

Its not so hard to understand where their theory comes short.
If in some situations like coe for example, you can just stay melee due to the slow attack rate of boss.

In other situations when bosses have faster melee Attacks you simply don t have enough evasions (even with traited BF+vigor).
They are simply used to have Guardians or other professions covering them.

The learn to solo can be also disproven comparing a solo build to a party build.

But since they have this fear of being judged they don t even try to equip a GS and see if and where its better than full melee.

I want to remember you, how the player opening the infamous GS thread, was the same opening a rage thread saying he needed a competent party, because he couldn t succeed with pugs.

I could make a long list where GS is the best option, and all you could reply would be “…some other players do that for me”. if you pug, you can t rely on Others, but yet you are trying to be as fast as you can, so you can t use solo tactics.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Mesmer

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

In other situations when bosses have faster melee Attacks you simply don t have enough evasions (even with traited BF+vigor).
They are simply used to have Guardians or other professions covering them.

Mesmer itself is the “cover” profession, you don’t need a guard.

The learn to solo can be also disproven comparing a solo build to a party build.

Soloed Lupicus with 30/20/0/20/0, also took the same build in to SE pugs yesterday.

But since they have this fear of being judged they don t even try to equip a GS and see if and where its better than full melee.

it is never better than full melee

I could make a long list where GS is the best option, and all you could reply would be “…some other players do that for me”. if you pug, you can t rely on Others, but yet you are trying to be as fast as you can, so you can t use solo tactics.

I want your long list, and I want to debunk every single example you give.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Greatsword were created so I could summon furniture. That’s about it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Didn t uyou use sigil of energy?
Did you solo shaman at lava 50 without other help?
did you solo melee mossman?
Did you tank the final boss on TA aether?
Did you the part with oozes melee?
Did you obviously even melee the burning oil in ascalon.
Do you solo melee other TA paths i suppose…..(i bet you like permapoison).
(some are situational but just clear examples of the nonsense you read on the forum…in reality you grab your GS more often if you can t rely on a fixed Group)

Soloing=/= playing with pugs.
WIth pugs you want balance between looking for a decent group and clearing the dungeon as fast as possible IF you can adapt.

In order to adapt you need a GS and even a torch.
Mostly for fractal a GS is mandatory.

Suggestion: just play some pug runs and when you see a decent mesmer watch what he is using.
The forum is mostly about bragging.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Mesmer

maha.7902

Didn t uyou use sigil of energy?
Did you solo shaman at lava 50 without other help?
did you solo melee mossman?
Did you tank the final boss on TA aether?
Did you the part with oozes melee?

I don’t own an energy sigil on my mes
no, sanderinoa and wethospu did a duo @ 48 though and he took sw/sw + sw/f
no, sanderinoa did a full melee solo @ 48 though
never done aether
never done aether

Did you obviously even melee the burning oil in ascalon.

lol

scepter/pistol buddy

Do you solo melee other TA paths i suppose…..(i bet you like permapoison).

funnily enough pugs do melee

In order to adapt you need a GS and even a torch

I pug a lot more than my guildies do, and I’m telling you now I never use greatsword besides to pull Tazza.

Mostly for fractal a GS is mandatory.

….no

Suggestion: just play some pug runs and when you see a decent mesmer watch what he is using.
The forum is mostly about bragging.

If I wanted to see decent mesmers I wouldn’t pug anything. You probably think I just do guild speed runs and am out of touch with pugging, but I honestly find it boring as hell, and soloing Arah and pugging other dungeons keeps the game interesting for me, and I never range anything besides where it’s strictly required which is extremely rare.

And if I die … well I’d rather die knowing I actually tried to fight a boss properly than pewpewing at 1200 range like some bad.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

I pug a lot more than my guildies do, and I’m telling you now I never use greatsword besides to pull Tazza.

Mantra of Pain + sword/sword/pistol.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The one thing I don’t get:

Monthes later, the same old dungeons. The same old content. The same old strategies. The same old discussion.
There has been NOTHING new. By now, what is the point of this discussion?

Any PvE hardcore player I know has left this game out of boredom decades ago. Well all people I know have left the game but well.

I would say, run the dungeons with scepter/torch for some laughs. But dear lord, min-maxing the same kitten for forever is beyond my capability of managing boredom.

Here is the point:
If you are a hardcore PvE player and still playing GW2, you are not hardcore. Hardcore PvE players thirst for new challenges frequently, GW2 just does not offer this.
Therefore, if you are playing GW2, you are not a hardcore player, so play the way you want and let others play the way they want.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

that literally added nothing to the discussion at hand

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

It did.

People who play a game in a hardcore manner play min-max builds. So for dungeon mesmers in GW2 this would mean s/s + s/f.
New players prefer the GS for its range and flexibility. They do not need to know all encounters, they can fall back if insecure.

Hardcore players get bored and leave, because there is no new content. New players pug dugeons with GS. Players that have been around a longer time but not hardcore enough to challenge new games with harder content get upset by the newbies in easy dungeons, just because they have nothing else to do.

Newbies get better and bored and leave. New newbies pug dungeons with GS, Same old same players get upset, because hey, how else would you feel superior in a game that has nothing left for hardcore players.

This is like an endless cycle, fueled by the same few people who think that min-maxing has still any value.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

that literally added nothing to the discussion at hand

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

I will try it this way:

Q: Topic: Why do people use Greatsword?

A: People prefer the greatsword as they do not have to know all telegraphs of boss fights in dungeons to succeed without constantly dying.
As more experienced players that can actually play melee leave the game out of boredom, you more frequently see new players with greatword learning the dungeons until they can melee the bosses, get bored and leave themselves.

On topic, clear as a mountain lake.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

I only use GS for when I have to be ranged, or when doing trains/events in PVE since it’s easier and faster to tag more mobs. Otherwise I stick to S/S S/F in dungeons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

As Kaiyanwan says, the only problematic part is that people who are too angry or too bored with the game can still post on the forums.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

As Kaiyanwan says, the only problematic part is that people who are too angry or too bored with the game can still post on the forums.

xD

ANet forces me fairly often to take a few days off the forums… But for the very moment, I am allowed to post something every ten minutes. ^^

But, I am not entirely sure if the message you got out of my posts is exactly what I had on my mind…

in Mesmer

maha.7902

I will try it this way:

A: People prefer the greatsword as they do not have to know all telegraphs of boss fights in dungeons to succeed without constantly dying.
As more experienced players that can actually play melee leave the game out of boredom, you more frequently see new players with greatword learning the dungeons until they can melee the bosses, get bored and leave themselves.

Plenty of experienced players still play this game, just because you’re bored of it doesn’t mean we are. In fact a lot of us in guild stay because we enjoy the gameplay so much. Here are the real reasons people use Greatsword – they either just like the aesthetics, want to be a hipster, don’t want to lean to melee or (and this applied to me) just take a gs/sw+f setup and don’t ever question it. When someone I cof farmed with back in the day asked me why I used gs I honestly didn’t even know why and then went main hand swords. The whole reason we have initiatives like the dungeon mentor guild is so teach people how to do content efficiently, so the more people we can get on board with it, the less gs mesmers we have.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

I will try it this way:

Plenty of experienced players still play this game, just because you’re bored of it doesn’t mean we are. In fact a lot of us in guild stay because we enjoy the gameplay so much. Here are the real reasons people use Greatsword – they either just like the aesthetics, want to be a hipster, don’t want to lean to melee or (and this applied to me) just take a gs/sw+f setup and don’t ever question it. When someone I cof farmed with back in the day asked me why I used gs I honestly didn’t even know why and then went main hand swords. The whole reason we have initiatives like the dungeon mentor guild is so teach people how to do content efficiently, so the more people we can get on board with it, the less gs mesmers we have.

Greatsword does look awesome, reason I used it for awhile myself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

If you read the OP, it doesn’t specify dungeons only — in fact there is a paragraph specifically about WvW, and the last paragraph mentions its use in PvP. And nowhere does that post ask for objective reasons only.

There were a bunch of reasonable posts, before the “everything = dungeon zerk melee deeps lawlz” people chimed in, anyway.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

If you read the OP, it doesn’t specify dungeons only — in fact there is a paragraph specifically about WvW, and the last paragraph mentions its use in PvP. And nowhere does that post ask for objective reasons only.

There were a bunch of reasonable posts, before the “everything = dungeon zerk melee deeps lawlz” people chimed in, anyway.

Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to the thread.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

How is commenting with something that is adding absolutely nothing to the thread on comments that are adding absolutely nothing to the thread adding anything to the thread?

This is like people moaning about people moaning on the board.
If I count your Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to the thread. comments together, you have probably added the most “nothing” to the thread.

Seriously, trolling will add nothing to this thread.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

People clarified why it was used in WvW, PvP and not in PvE, Foosnark literally just wanted to make a cheap shot at the people who clarified why it shouldn’t be used in PvE with the typical lets write in poor grammar because berserker gear users are drooling idiots and I want to insult them for no reason. It adds nothing to the thread besides conflict.

in Mesmer

Foosnark.1784

That’s me, adding conflict.

Oh, and addressing this, though I didn’t quote it at the time:

OP may not have phrased it as such but I think he was asking if there’s any OBJECTIVE reason to run GS over sword, beyond “I like the pretty butterflies”.

The OP is looking for practical reasons, not “play how you want” reasons.

The conflict arises where people try to claim it’s an objectively good weapon, and not just “I like lasers”.

It is, in fact, an objectively good weapon for certain purposes and playstyles. Even in dungeons some people have personally found a use for it, but they’ve been repeatedly dismissed out of hand in this thread. Because apparently anyone who uses a GS is among the “bads” and is “scared.”

It doesn’t even matter whether one proves, objectively, that optimum DPS is achieved by using exactly X equipment and pressing Y buttons at Z time and that greatsword never factors in to it. Other people have found ways to make it work, and they’ve given those as the reasons why they use it. The game is playable without turning everyone into totally optimized meta machines.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

‘Certain purposes and playstyles’? Why so vague? Why do I always have to push people who say things like to give examples? I want examples so I can tell you why greatsword isn’t worth taking for those examples. What you’re saying just falls under the being hipster category, people with suboptimal play styles trying to shoe horn their favourite laser sword in to their build.

in Mesmer

Foosnark.1784

People have described how they’ve used greatsword and why they like it. Some have gone into more detail than others.

I want examples so I can tell you why greatsword isn’t worth taking for those examples.

Thanks for admitting your already obvious motive: to tell people they are wrong and prove your own superiority.

‘What you’re saying just falls under the being hipster category, people with suboptimal play styles trying to shoe horn their favourite laser sword in to their build.

Video games are entertainment — in other words, a suboptimal way of spending time. The entire reason we’re here is because we’re the kind of people who like laser swords and so on.

If you value optimizing numbers over having fun, then let me tell you, a spreadsheet will work much better than sword/sword or sword/focus.

People enjoy using a greatsword. They have said so, here, in this thread asking about why people use it. They have said why they think it works — and you’ve made it your mission to tell them they’re wrong. That sure is some optimal behavior!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

People enjoy using a greatsword. They have said so, here, in this thread asking about why people use it. They have said why they think it works — and you’ve made it your mission to tell them they’re wrong. That sure is some optimal behavior!

It’s an attitude I see in many GS haters. I guess hating GS is just hipster as he said, it’s cool to hate GS because it’s efficient in what it does.

But, hey, I’m not going to make a thread about how X weapon is bad in X situations. I believe all weapons are good at what they are supposed to do. That’s it.

Don’t tell me that a scepter is better at bursting than a GS, just because you have blinded hate (because it’s cool to) for GS. Seriously, I’m starting to believe there’s a GS hating lobby group on the mesmer forum. You know guys, it’s making the forum very toxic. Can you let it drop !?

If you don’t like GS, you don’t need to go in every thread and tell everyone how you hate GS.

(edited by Krispera.5087)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

It’s an attitude I see in many GS haters. I guess hating GS is just hipster as he said, it’s cool to hate GS because it’s efficient in what it does.

But, hey, I’m not going to make a thread about how X weapon is bad in X situations. I believe all weapons are good at what they are supposed to do. That’s it.

Don’t tell me that a scepter is better at bursting than a GS, just because you have blinded hate (because it’s cool to) for GS. Seriously, I’m starting to believe there’s a GS hating lobby group on the mesmer forum. You know guys, it’s making the forum very toxic. Can you let it drop !?

If you don’t like GS, you don’t need to go in every thread and tell everyone how you hate GS.

Something that should be clarified when discussing greatsword is whether you’re using it in PvP/WvW or in PvE.

In PvP/WvW, the greatsword is an amazing long range sustained damage weapon with our best chasing skill (iZerker) in the game. It also has fantastic burst potential with close range mirror blades in shatter builds.

In PvE, the greatsword is a substandard damage weapon with a not particularly great phantasm.

It makes a big difference where you’re using it.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

Something that should be clarified when discussing greatsword is whether you’re using it in PvP/WvW or in PvE.

In PvP/WvW, the greatsword is an amazing long range sustained damage weapon with our best chasing skill (iZerker) in the game. It also has fantastic burst potential with close range mirror blades in shatter builds.

In PvE, the greatsword is a substandard damage weapon with a not particularly great phantasm.

It makes a big difference where you’re using it.

Than again, in PvE it doesn’t really matter unless you want to speedrun dungeons. If you go into a dungeon with a full group and people have half a clue, the group will succeed with any weapon setup.
It is just how the game is designed. People use the GS because they can get along with it just fine. No need for min-maxing, this is not vanilla WoW raiding.

Of course you can min-max for speed clears or try to solo dungeons and stuff to make things artificially hard, but PvE in GW2 is just designed to be simple (I blame the lack of a trinity for this, especially in dungeons).

And about the dungeoneering elitism that we see, well, if anyone can do the dungeons, they have to find something else that separates them from the crowd.

So in the end, there is no right or wrong in PvE. It is just the lack of new challenges that makes the people getting creative.
If there was a new dungeon every few weeks like in other games, that would actually challenge the playerbase, I doubt that melee stacking against a wall would be the meta. If there was any learning required for an encounter, zerker gear would probably not be meta either.
But hey, other games actually design the trash pulls and stuff like that, to be a challenge too, GW2 just has a lot of trashy trash.

Dungeon design and progression (like new more challenging dungeons frequently) are the biggest disappointments in GW2. It feels like the designers pretty much gave up on this topic.

But, if you want to run the same dungeon path a hundred times over and over and over again, it is of course less tedious, if you run it as fast as possible. That sounds like an awefully little amount of fun to me, but to each their own…

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

in Mesmer

maha.7902

Thanks for admitting your already obvious motive: to tell people they are wrong and prove your own superiority.

My motive is to educate people. Guess what I did yesterday? Pugged SE p3, melee’d the clown car and then near the end one of the warriors joined me in melee. I don’t need to prove my own superiority when I already have videos demonstrating it, have been accepted and vetted in to the strongest NA dungeon guild and have pugged enough times to realise my skill far exceeds the average player in this game. It’s not even bragging, it’s just the truth.

Video games are entertainment — in other words, a suboptimal way of spending time. The entire reason we’re here is because we’re the kind of people who like laser swords and so on.
If you value optimizing numbers over having fun, then let me tell you, a spreadsheet will work much better than sword/sword or sword/focus.

So like I said, it’s people being hipsters. People make weak builds, throw their laser sword in and go to town with it. That’s fine. It’s just “I like it” is not a practical reason. I play greatsword on my warrior despite it having approximately 300 less effective power than axe because I like it, not because it’s optimal. Sure, Nike told me that you should just play whichever weapon’s rotations I can maintain the best (since the difference is so minor) but if I wanted to perform at peak efficiency I would use pure axes, but I find the playstyle dreadful so I don’t. I’m not even going to pretend pure GS is optimal though when the math points to it not.

lol. I hope you realise liking GS is the “cool” thing to do, people did it back in the day until me and a few others smacked some sense in to them, and now people still think it’s cool to like it to be edgy and stand out from the majority accepted opinion.

Than again, in PvE it doesn’t really matter unless you want to speedrun dungeons. If you go into a dungeon with a full group and people have half a clue, the group will succeed with any weapon setup.

Except, if me and Pyroatheist took greatswords to Lupicus a few hours ago we would have either spent 20 minutes kiting or just never finished it.

Of course you can min-max for speed clears or try to solo dungeons and stuff to make things artificially hard, but PvE in GW2 is just designed to be simple (I blame the lack of a trinity for this, especially in dungeons).

Open world is, sure. But take the time to learn dungeon mechanics and you’ll realise there’s more to it, and cool little intricacies. I think it was either the same group a few hours ago or a pug before that where I/we scored numerous interrupts on the Arah p2 abomination – a well timed interrupt places its enrage on a ~minute cooldown and makes you not have to use a tranquiliser gun. Lack of trinity has nothing to do with it, trinity being added would be the worst thing possible to this game, it’s tedious and just forces people in to the same three roles all the time while GW2 lets you, no matter your class pull your weight and carry hard.

If there was a new dungeon every few weeks like in other games, that would actually challenge the playerbase, I doubt that melee stacking against a wall would be the meta. If there was any learning required for an encounter, zerker gear would probably not be meta either.

Nope, there still would be.

“new” content corner stacked. Repeat ad infinitum. Making new content won’t magically make people not stack, bad players just won’t do it, good players will just stack because they know what to do in the stack and what it means rather than just 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 and hope not to die.

We get it, you don’t like the game. We also get it, you want to make out using greatsword is fine, but we’re speaking practically here. From a practical perspective, in dungeon content it’s not worth using. Use it in PvP. Use it in WvW. Use it in open world PvE. But if you use it in dungeons, you’re not even trying to help your party as best you can, you’re just trying to be a special snowflake with your cool laser.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

The things you might not get are the following:

- I like the game, I am just sad that it is not going anywhere. TA Aetherpath was added 8(!) monthes ago. That was the last true dungeon addition (besides some recycled mini instances 6(!) monthes ago for FotM.

- Noone melee stacked TA Aetherpath at release (you have said earlier on you have never been there, so missing that knowledge is not your fault). Because when dungeons are new, they are hard and exciting by just being dungeons.

- I do not care, what weapon players are using in dungeons, I just say that it is ok to use the weapon you feel the most comfortable with.

- The whole melee stacking thing is a result of bored players running the same old content a billion times. New content would solve this (as long as players actually try the new dungeons), which would be a win/win situation for everyone.

Why is this so hard to grasp?

in Mesmer

maha.7902

- Noone melee stacked TA Aetherpath at release (you have said earlier on you have never been there, so missing that knowledge is not your fault). Because when dungeons are new, they are hard and exciting by just being dungeons.

mmmmm?

- I do not care, what weapon players are using in dungeons, I just say that it is ok to use the weapon you feel the most comfortable with.

So again, you’re not arguing from a practical viewpoint, you’re arguing from a hipster viewpoint. If you’re not going to give actual reasons don’t post.

- The whole melee stacking thing is a result of bored players running the same old content a billion times. New content would solve this (as long as players actually try the new dungeons), which would be a win/win situation for everyone.

Incorrect. Melee stacking is a result of players learning mechanics and how to maximise their damage, and damage mitigation while grouped up closely. Pugs then try to copy this while not understanding what’s involved in the stack – they’re simply doing what they heard/thought was best. It’s nothing to do with “bored players running the same old content”, you’re just trying to pursue your “this game is boring” agenda but you’re completely off the mark.

Why is this so hard to grasp?

It’s so hard to grasp because you’re WRONG.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

This is not an argument, the two are not related and results of some personal grudge. It was decent til that point, now anything you’ll say will be flawed.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

See the picture attached… What more reason do you need (Shiny!)

Attachments:

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

Foosnark.1784

they either just like the aesthetics, want to be a hipster, don’t want to lean to melee or

what you’re saying just falls under the being hipster category

So like I said, it’s people being hipsters.

So again, you’re not arguing from a practical viewpoint, you’re arguing from a hipster viewpoint.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

maha.7902

I think you don’t have an argument so you’re just resorting to memes. Try again.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

In Fractals, I use Greatsword when fighting Jade Maw and as a backup in pug groups during Molten Duo fight. That’s about it.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

(edited by Xavi.6591)

in Mesmer

maha.7902

You don’t need a GS on maw at all. For molten duo you have reflects out the backside so you have the least excuse to be ranging.

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

You don’t need a GS on maw at all.

I’ll use GS on maw if I’m feeling incredibly lazy and/or tired, since it allows you to more or less afk the tentacles. Meleeing them is more interesting though.

For molten duo you have reflects out the backside so you have the least excuse to be ranging.

If you need to solo the molten duo (which ended up happening to me a couple times), greatsword ends up being a pretty strong weapon, as you can’t get reflects accurate and effective enough to use that as defense, you have to kite. However…soloing the molten duo is something that should never happen in a strong party.

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

While this is usually true, it’s not always true. Additionally, I find most of the dungeons in this game to be somewhat tedious. I’m not doing the dungeon to enjoy the sights, I’m doing it because I need the tokens, and I’d rather get back to WvW roaming or whatever else I was doing before the dungeon. Due to that, I prefer efficient runs.

So in the end, there is no right or wrong in PvE.

There may not be right and wrong, but there is slow and fast. I prefer to do my runs faster.

Dungeon design and progression (like new more challenging dungeons frequently) are the biggest disappointments in GW2. It feels like the designers pretty much gave up on this topic.

I agree. That being said, there are a couple of bosses in this game actually have interesting mechanics, assuming you don’t cheese them with fgs. However, these bosses still get stacked up on. Close range fighting is something that will always be a tactic in this game, regardless of boss difficulty. The only difference is the skill and practice that it will take to achieve the close range fighting successfully.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

Seriously? This video does not even show the clockheart fight.

Search for full videos of TA Aetherpath shortly after release. Watch clockheart fight. Be surprised.
The argument that parts of the dungeons have been done in melee at release is amusingly arbitrary.
At this time, melee was not the best option, for progression and getting stuff done, a combination with ranged weapons was the better option.

The conflict I see is that people confuse getting used to content equals getting better at the game.
The game just avoids to give enough content to proof this wrong.
When a raidboss is on farm, and you farm him faster, that does not mean you are getting better at the game. You are just getting better at repeating the same stuff (memorizing) of an encounter. People who have never done progression raiding might not understand this though.
The same counts for pure melee in GW2 on well known encounters. You are just memorizing every (possible) move and just repeat the same old same. This won’t help you on a new encounter (which we are lacking in GW2 most of the time).

And btw, I do not think you know what a hipster is or means, or you are just using it wrong.

So for progression in new content (which we are lacking most of the time) having a GS is a good thing.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

When I did the aetherblade and molten dungeons and thaumanova fractal for the first time i took double melee sets. When I did my mark 2 golem gold solos (they’re on my YouTube) I took double melee sets. For new and old content, the best option is two melee sets, die a bunch of times and analyse each time why you died. I did this when soloing the archmage near Caer shadowfain and I took endurance food to help deal with the weakness, then on a later attempt I dropped it for dps food since I was able to time my dodges and blocks better through practice. This is honestly just getting tedious to argue, you and nobody else has given any practical reason for using Greatsword besides being lazy, liking lasers or that it’s part of your special snowflake build. I seriously need to record my pugging again, I got sick of throttling my internet connection having to upload all of the time but it would probably put these arguments to rest if I just linked footage every single time.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

I do use gs in dungeons but for mostly for its utility and not dps. There is nothing wrong in doing someone else’s job.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

Look, I bet my account, that every single dungeon and fractal has been completed first by a group that has not just been using a group of full melee.

So probably every world first in GW2 has been accomplished by a “mixed” group.

Everything that comes after that is just beating the dead horse. DnT was once a progression raiding guild (and maybe still is), so I would think you might understand that concept.

Doing things faster, that have already been done a million times before does not impress anyone.

As Pyroathiest said, it might make the tedious content less tedious as you spend less time with it, but wow, this won’t give most players the kick.

in Mesmer

maha.7902

Actually it does impress people. Watch Kr’s unrestricted COE p3 record, it’s very impressive. Again, just because YOU don’t care, doesn’t mean people aren’t impressed. But I don’t even know what this has to do with the topic, I’m still waiting for someone to give an actual reason with examples on where GS is practically better. The one example I thought of, well I just got told I can use mantra of pain so I just so that now.

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

Everything that comes after that is just beating the dead horse.

So, by that logic after having your first intercourse you should… stop? After that it’s just beating a dead horse, right?

ps: no offense here, just making a joke

in Mesmer

Pyroathiest.4168

So, by that logic after having your first intercourse you should… stop? After that it’s just beating a dead horse, right?

No, no, you should practice to do it faster.

in Mesmer

Kaiyanwan.8521

No, no, you should practice to do it faster.

Haha, ain’t nobody got time for that.

It really depends on how many new “dungeons” you try to raid for the first time.
As I am married, I normaly just go for the “daily achievement” though.

On the topic of who cares:

GW2: Crucible of Eternity P1 6:24 [World Record]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXl24NYr9Mc
1688 views (P3 was too new and had only like 780 views)

vs

Blood Legion vs The Lich King (10) – World First (Part 1 of 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlxcNMltpU8

So seriously who cares?

in Mesmer

maha.7902

1,688 people do apparently. Are you even trying?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

1,688 people do apparently. Are you even trying?

There is way too much toxicity in this topic. Remember it’s just a game and people like to have fun in different ways.

I like using greatsword and I have no trouble killing things but then I don’t care about doing something 5 seconds faster. I also like to actually fight the mechanics instead of ignoring them and cheesing the fights by standing in a corner cheesing the bosses or running past everything but that’s just me.

Some people like to skip and speed through things. I don’t. Some people like to melee 24/7 and others like swapping in and out. No big deal. You do what you want to do and others can do what they want to do There’s plenty of people on both sides of that spectrum or people who like doing both.

Being in a party with nice people you can have a good laugh with is more important to me than doing something a few seconds faster and have zero communication. So basically I play for fun and being social rather than gold and speed runs. To each their own.

There is no need to bash people or get all worked up for doing things differently from how you prefer to do it. Just find people who play in the same way as you do and play with them instead of expecting others to change That’s just my two cents.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

in Mesmer

maha.7902

Are you trying to imply that melee equals bypassing mechanics and therefore I don’t enjoy fighting mechanics? Do you realise that in a single arah path 2 run I switch my build six times so I can fight the mechanics better? I resent bypassing mechanics, it’s why I resent fiery Greatsword. The difference is, that actually bypasses, melee itself doesn’t. I don’t play for gold either, so don’t generalise – I’ll run a dungeon multiple times despite having my daily if it interests me because I play for fun and to hone my skills. Maybe one day I’ll be completely infallible, or at least hold some boss solo records.