Why does Veil not have a negative effect?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Q:

After a long break I am returning to this game, and as I was re-evaluating what to play I realized that Veil may be the only wall spell in the game that doesn’t provide a negative effect to an enemy player that walks through it. I would expect it to apply confusion at the least.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lahel.6381

Lahel.6381

you can trait so it does

in Mesmer

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

There is also the guardian wall which does not provide a positive effect to allies, only the knockdown to enemies

in Mesmer

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Yes, but those are positive effects to allies that are lacking on very powerful offensive abilities. Veil is a short stealth that doesn’t stack with itself the way that thieves do on a long cooldown. Just seems really odd that it would be the only wall in the game with no ability to affect enemies outside of heavy trait investment.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It’s because like any wall, it has no target limit. But that it interacts via running through is the problematic part. If it would just make people on opposite sides unable to see each other (even friendly players!), it’d be much more useful.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kazi.6438

kazi.6438

To be honest, veil is extremely strong already in WvW. It’s pretty much an “I win” button for a mesmer commander.

Inir [CAT]

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

To be honest, veil is extremely strong already in WvW. It’s pretty much an “I win” button for a mesmer commander.

Yes but it pays for that WvW power by being absolutely rubbish on it’s own.

And that’s kinda… meh.

I’d re-implement it to make it a bit more overall useful:

Veil
kitten CD, 10s duration
Creates a wall which makes it impossible for anyone on one side to see someone on the other side. Such a target is not in line of sight. Ground-targeted or manually-targeted effects can reach past the wall, however.

In other words, any two targets (independent of allegiance) on opposite sides of this wall see only the terrain behind it. It cuts out an area. It acts as a full LoS-block but not against GTAE or Line AE targets placed beyond the wall, and also since it never actually grants stealth it doesn’t break any targets. However, as far as targeted abilities go, it’s a full LoS-break, but works in both directions.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

negative effect isn’t important, what is hard to understand is its 90sec CD. should be 40-50sec CD with a stealth limit to 10 people and not whole zergs. if they add a negative effect, i’d like them to just copy/paste Slipstream pushback effect and if that’s the only added effect, its not enough for 90sec cd.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

90 sec is definitly too much. And I would like to see an increase of the dura to 3. However it can applied multiple times at the same target but does not stack, remember!

Our cloak elite however should recive also a buff in duration … Or something else, like boons or whatever. Its just meh for an elite :/

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

90 sec is definitly too much. And I would like to see an increase of the dura to 3. However it can applied multiple times at the same target but does not stack, remember!

Our cloak elite however should recive also a buff in duration … Or something else, like boons or whatever. Its just meh for an elite :/

MI is meh but at the same time its the most used elite in anything pvp involved. They can add boons to it or other stuff but i’d prefer it to be simple such as 60sec CD, 5sec stealth, 10sec aegis on use and 1/4 activation time. Now that would be a great elite.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Yes but it pays for that WvW power by being absolutely rubbish on it’s own.

And that’s kinda… meh.

I’d re-implement it to make it a bit more overall useful:

Veil
kitten CD, 10s duration
Creates a wall which makes it impossible for anyone on one side to see someone on the other side. Such a target is not in line of sight. Ground-targeted or manually-targeted effects can reach past the wall, however.

In other words, any two targets (independent of allegiance) on opposite sides of this wall see only the terrain behind it. It cuts out an area. It acts as a full LoS-block but not against GTAE or Line AE targets placed beyond the wall, and also since it never actually grants stealth it doesn’t break any targets. However, as far as targeted abilities go, it’s a full LoS-break, but works in both directions.

Sorry that could be used by spies in wvw who transfer servers and who could troll people on his side by dropping it to hide a zerg.

I would just love to see a reduced cooldown on it. Or maybe add condition removal when running through it.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Lahel.6381

I think reducing the CD would be a step in the right direction. The whole LOS wall thing not so much, would be to easy to abuse for griefers etc.

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

MI is meh but at the same time its the most used elite in anything pvp involved. They can add boons to it or other stuff but i’d prefer it to be simple such as 60sec CD, 5sec stealth, 10sec aegis on use and 1/4 activation time. Now that would be a great elite.

give it blur instad of aegis and just during the activation time and i’m in maybe a longer stealth too? :O

What I don’t like is that it only cloakes 5 units with that huge BIUUMMMMM sound and animation … and veil does infinite … ok … seems legit >_>

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Mesmer

Lahel.6381

give it blur instad of aegis and just during the activation time and i’m in maybe a longer stealth too? :O
What I don’t like is that it only cloakes 5 units with that huge BIUUMMMMM sound and animation … and veil does infinite … ok … seems legit >_>

After coming back to the game after 6+ months that together with the 20 man limit on portal was my biggest disappointments :p

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

well every big aoe just hits max 5 targets at once :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

I think veil is just good like it is atm. You can use it in many different situations.

• PvE: Skipping mobs in dungeons, hiding npcs from enemies, avoid dmg by doo many mobs
  • PvP: You can stay 4-6 s invisible with it… thats not bad for a class like the mesmer. We’re not thieves!
  • WvW: Nearly everywhere… zergfights, roaming, playing in small groups…

Well I won’t be angry when they buff my skills but i think it’s balanced^^

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

2 seconds isn’t enough in PvE – thats my problem.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Sorry that could be used by spies in wvw who transfer servers and who could troll people on his side by dropping it to hide a zerg.

I don’t see that as a reason not to do such a change. If griefing happens, one should fix it (i.e.: target the griefers). Not “fix” the innocent abilities used by them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Just remove it and give us something that isn’t useless apart from big zergs. Or, and i’d like the same for portal, give it a short cd to start with (shorter than decoy since it doesn’t break stealth, produces no clone and it’s clearly visible where you are) and increase it every time someone uses it.