Why no Range indicator for portal ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shiroichi.5432

Shiroichi.5432

So why is there no range indicator for our Portals ?
A simple red line under the skill icon would be very easy to implement in the game right.

in Mesmer

Posted by: drongas.4189

drongas.4189

+1
make golem rush much more easer

………..Gandara………..

I’m kill you’r bessies

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

+1 as well.

Always wondered why this isn’t implemented already. Also, maybe show the location of the portal on the minimap as a small icon (for your group only, like a waypoint).

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

(edited by tetrodoxin.2134)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

+1 million.

It’s such a logical move. Why NOT have that in, from the bloody jump? C’mon, Devs … make it happen, k?

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: kingsman.3179

kingsman.3179

+1
I would love to have this so much. It would make life so much easier.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I would also like a timer on it cause at the moment I just have to judge how long I think 60 seconds is if I’m trying to wait for the right moment to use the exit portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I would also like a timer on it cause at the moment I just have to judge how long I think 60 seconds is if I’m trying to wait for the right moment to use the exit portal.

How I time the 60s portals… by playing this in my head twice.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuQVpBeqLs[/video]

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Mesmer

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

I’ve also found that with certain graphic settings, the range of the portal is just when the trees start to deres. The reason, my guess, that there is no range indicator is because the range is so long, people would have a hard time knowing when they’ve hit that spot. The better thing to do would be to have the skill go grey when you’re out of range of your entrance portal so you cant hit it.

Also, people have told me in the past that the vertical direction doesn’t count towards the range. I tried this, and did a purely vertical portal from the top of RS to the bottom (not outside of rata, just jumping down the inside of it to the bottom), and it went out of range, while being right below the entrance portal. So, the vertical aspect must be included.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in Mesmer

Shiroichi.5432

Just a simple redline under the skill icon is all i ask Anet, maybe just maybe a 60 second timer.

Please Anet Respond.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

+1
I’ve also wondered the same thing.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

How I time the 60s portals… by playing this in my head twice.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuQVpBeqLs[/video]

Oof, I’ve got enough things going on in my head when timing a portal. Playing the Jeopardy theme wouldn’t fit in there

I watch my other skill cool downs. Distortion is usually my go-to. If it’s on cooldown, note how many seconds and pop it again. If it’s off cooldown, pop it and keep an eye on it.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I agree that we should have a range indicator. Shadow Step (Thief utility) works in a similar fashion where Shadow Return actually gets a red line when you move beyond the listed range.

As such I feel it’s only natural to have the same indicator with Portal Exeunt that gives you a red ‘out of range’ line when you move beyond the maximum distance.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Mesmer

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

Why doesn’t it have a timer? Illusionary Leap has timer on Swap, Portal Exeunt shows a timer…

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Engis got a timer for kit refinement, so i guess it’s totally acceptable to ask for a portal timer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

From what I’ve read, this should be fixed much later on. They are planning to rebuild how tooltips work to automatically adapt to the effect IG. This would help to show the range. Since they started not long ago, don’t expect that before 5-6 months though imo.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

That would be nice!

However, I’d see them messing something up and portal would only be half the distance it is now. Oh and only the mesmer can use it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

That would be nice!

However, I’d see them messing something up and portal would only be half the distance it is now. Oh and only the mesmer can use it.

Same time mabye it would magicly fix iZerker

On serious note, yes a range and time indicator shuld be a obious add, cant understand why its not added yet.

/Osicat

in Mesmer

Posted by: nyaonyao.8402

nyaonyao.8402

I’ve had to resort to placing personal waypoints in the minimap and zooming the minimap all the way in. The range I would go is from my personal waypoint to the center of the minimap.

+1 for range and timer!

in Mesmer

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

+1

15 characters

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mice.8921

Mice.8921

+1
15 character couplet:
“I needed 15 letters so I wrote this little ditty
The forums needs a new rule, cos this ones kinda….”

seriously though… +1 +1

in Mesmer

Posted by: Silas Drake.8946

Silas Drake.8946

As a Mesmer known for bad portals +1

Phorfiet - HoD O|O

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

This + timer. This should have happened less than a month after launch.

RIP in peace Robert

in Mesmer

Posted by: silor.5034

silor.5034

agree 100%, put some kind of range indicator on this, its very frustrating to waste the cool down because you have traveled 2 steps out side the range.
also I would like that it simply would not activate if your out side the range or it sets up the second portal at the maximum distance from the first one. although I think I would prefer that it wouldn’t activate and you get a warning about the range. but dose not blow the cool down.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noince.7364

Noince.7364

Oh my god. No, do not ask for a range indicator. Clones were asked to target ranger pets, and in this patch clones become “bounce-able targets” royally screwing GS#2.

Ask for a range indicator and…something horrible and unintended will happen. Like…“vertical range” is now considered.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Areyia Rose.7046

Areyia Rose.7046

To be honest not having one doesn’t bother me and probably plenty of mesmers out there ever sense i learned a trick to it i haven’t failed a portal. It would be nice though to have an icon on mini map for where we place our first portal however if we can at least get that that would be great.

and as for timer if you are in wvw use the timer up top. as for pve well… i don’t see when you would have to wait till the absolute last second to put down the 2nd portal i rarely use portal in pve and when i do i don’t need anywhere close to the 60 seconds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Oh my god. No, do not ask for a range indicator. Clones were asked to target ranger pets, and in this patch clones become “bounce-able targets” royally screwing GS#2.

Ask for a range indicator and…something horrible and unintended will happen. Like…“vertical range” is now considered.

vertical range is and has always been considered.

in Mesmer

Areyia Rose.7046

the thing is when is vertical range an issue? and there is a limit cause someone i knew jumped off garrison hit a point in water and broke portal

in Mesmer

Shiroichi.5432

I really wonder when they will apply this in gw2

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

“The distance between two portals is restricted to radar range, approximately 5000 units.” http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Portal_Entre

Giving a range indicator on Portal removes the only learning curve there is to the skill, and makes it too easy to use at max range. It’s already a really powerful skill as it is.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Interesting argument. So let’s remove range indicators for all skills and enjoy the learning curve.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

juno.1840

“The distance between two portals is restricted to radar range, approximately 5000 units.” http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Portal_Entre

Giving a range indicator on Portal removes the only learning curve there is to the skill, and makes it too easy to use at max range. It’s already a really powerful skill as it is.

Except that the radar has a “zoom” feature and can be “reshaped” to an arbitrary rectangle. There is no radar circle like the GW1 compass.

So how can you tell your compass/radar is sized for 5000 units?

In addition, the “entre” portal is not visible on the compass/radar so it’s not easy to measure using that method (even if you could tell 5000 units accurately).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Interesting argument. So let’s remove range indicators for all skills and enjoy the learning curve.

Portal is a teleportation skill, range is all it does. But most importantly, it has an extremely long range, compared to other teleportation skills. Therefor it’s a fair drawback. The only other skill that can compare is Shadow Pursuit, and that’s a trap, meaning you need a target for the teleportation to work.

Except that the radar has a “zoom” feature and can be “reshaped” to an arbitrary rectangle. There is no radar circle like the GW1 compass.

So how can you tell your compass/radar is sized for 5000 units?

In addition, the “entre” portal is not visible on the compass/radar so it’s not easy to measure using that method (even if you could tell 5000 units accurately).

“Zoomed in, the range of the compass is 2500 units, representing 63 meters/208 feet.” http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Compass#Compass

You learn by doing. That’s the fun part.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

I’m okay with having no range feature on Portal. This means that you have to have experience to know when to drop them. I would also hate for them to change/nerf/bug portals so that z-axis was now part of the range, which it currently isn’t now.

I would like to see a timer though. That would be easy enough.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sinaya.4201

Sinaya.4201

+1

A range indicator would be great, and would make the skill more accessible for new players, particularly in World versus World.

Crystal Desert

in Mesmer

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

+1 to this. So annoying to just step out of range, put down the exit and see the portal not working >.> Also a timer would be GREAT but the range indicator is much more important.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Also, people have told me in the past that the vertical direction doesn’t count towards the range. I tried this, and did a purely vertical portal from the top of RS to the bottom (not outside of rata, just jumping down the inside of it to the bottom), and it went out of range, while being right below the entrance portal. So, the vertical aspect must be included.

“People say vertical range doesn’t count, but I’ve tested and found it counts.”

“Vertical range doesn’t count.”

vertical range is and has always been considered.

“Vertical range counts.”

the thing is when is vertical range an issue? and there is a limit cause someone i knew jumped off garrison hit a point in water and broke portal

“Vertical range counts.”

I would also hate for them to change/nerf/bug portals so that z-axis was now part of the range, which it currently isn’t now.

“Vertical range doesn’t count.”

Seriously; sometimes I’ve got the feeling I’m (almost) the only one who reads what other people write before posting in a topic myself. On a sidenote, I vote for “Vertical range counts.” That’s all.

Oh and a red line as range indicator would indeed be nice to have.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cares Less.9631

Cares Less.9631

+ 1 ANET prove you actually do listen to the Mesmer community, not listen to the whiners who constantly ask for nerfing of the class.

in Mesmer

juno.1840

“Zoomed in, the range of the compass is 2500 units, representing 63 meters/208 feet.” http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Compass#Compass

You learn by doing. That’s the fun part.

Shouldn’t have to read a community supported wiki to learn how to use the User Interface in a game that supposedly best-in-class for accessbility and easy learning curves.

That being said, the compass is still a square and not a circle and you cannot see your “entre” portal on it. So basically you’re saying kitten and learn to live it with.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lepew.7890

Lepew.7890

No way vertical range counts. On a flat map with radar zoomed in, I can port to about the corner from the center. Have a commander sit at a position sometime to try this out. In the NW tower, any borderland, you can drop a portal from that ledge behind the lords room, and run all the way down to NW camp, and still port up from about the edge of the radar. In the two cases one has negligable z-change, while the other has considerable z-change.

Agree the UI needs to be improved. Frankly I think the portal should exit portal should not be permitted to be placed if you are out of portal range. That would be a super easy fix.

McDingus – DDLG guild – Stormbluff Isle

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

Yes please, this shouldn’t be hard to do Anet! Do it!

in Mesmer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Because mesmers already know the range of their portals. Make your map as big as possible, then zoom in. The distance from your center position to a lateral or vertical edge is the max range. Mark your start point with an alt + click on the map if needbe. Or click on someone at your portal entrance, and when they become Untargeted you have gone out of range.

That being said…. A red bar under the portal exit wouldn’t hurt… But the current system rewards good mesmers and prevens people who don’t know how to portal properly from dropping bad portals. A bad portal can wipe your strike force.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Mesmer

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

No way vertical range counts. On a flat map with radar zoomed in, I can port to about the corner from the center. Have a commander sit at a position sometime to try this out. In the NW tower, any borderland, you can drop a portal from that ledge behind the lords room, and run all the way down to NW camp, and still port up from about the edge of the radar. In the two cases one has negligable z-change, while the other has considerable z-change.

Agree the UI needs to be improved. Frankly I think the portal should exit portal should not be permitted to be placed if you are out of portal range. That would be a super easy fix.

Vertical range does count. And it can be deceptive. Like when portaling from outer south gate of hills to near south inner, the range is significantly reduced because of the stairs.

I don’t think it factors vertical at a 1:1 ratio though

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

in Mesmer

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

Vertical range does count. And it can be deceptive. Like when portaling from outer south gate of hills to near south inner, the range is significantly reduced because of the stairs.

I don’t think it factors vertical at a 1:1 ratio though

it is a 1:1 ratio, it’s just really hard to judge vertical distance due to how the map layout is designed. a high cliff looks higher than it actually would be if you laid it out flat infront of you.

there are many places in the world you can test this. in both wvw and pve maps. just find a high drop, where you can run down and be at the same place, but directly under. that way the only distance vertical. for example the giant karka spiral.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ClinkyDink.9364

ClinkyDink.9364

I would kill for a range indicator and reset timer on Portal.

This would be a major quality of life improvement for us. I don’t know of any other ranged skill that does not let you know when you are out of range and also (uselessly) activates the skill and blows the cooldown if you use it while out of range.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zelrok.3546

zelrok.3546

I would love range indicator, and a timer.

My problem though, is that no range is stated. I blew many a portal before I found this out.

Eradon Terrace
Zelrok Saegrid (Mes)

in Mesmer

Areyia Rose.7046

Tbh to help with it if you go to your option and set up the look behind you key and set down a portal while running use that key and once the names starts to fade away then portal again and it should not break. For timer you don’t really need if your using this for WvW use the WvW timer up top. Once you start using portal like that sooner or later you’ll get the feeling of it i can easily pin point where to end even without looking back by looking at the mini map.The only thing i would like is if they could put a portal indicator on the mini map at least for the first portal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

necro and unashamed bump

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

Also show the portal on the map for your teammates pls

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Vertical range counts.

When the Bazaar was open, I left a portal on the boat in case I messed up jumping to the dive spot. I did fall into the water waaay below. Closed my portal, and the range was over extended.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zero.6592

Zero.6592

Not like any Portal using Mesmer would ever forget, but yet I wanted to remind everyone how awesome it would be if the Portal had a range indicator.