Would you still roll Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Flash back to when you purchased the game. If you knew what state the mesmer would be in today, would you still have rolled a mesmer?

And what is your next favorite class?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Well I actually started on thief, back on pre release – only moved on to mesmer after a few weeks of play.

I would probably still roll mesmer, because I like the theme.

Second favourite would now be melee ranger (GS+Sw/D) – but being a main only type of person, I have gone and deleted my ranger (I don’t like having alts) and will probably only make a new one once we get playable Tengu or something.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’d have rolled Mesmer or not rolled at all.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Yeah come to think of it, I’d likely have not bought the game in the first place.

in Mesmer

EnderzShadow.2506

I’d have rolled Mesmer or not rolled at all.

You are not alone in that sentiment

in Mesmer

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Yes, I would have rolled a Mesmer. The same way I’ve rolled every profession to cap. I would still main my Mesmer. Because, no matter how frustrated I get over how ArenaNet handles it, the basic mechanics remains the same, it’s a very active profession to play with, and I like that. It’s not that it’s not fun to play, it’s more that it’s inferior to me playing on something else.

Favorite secondary profession.. hmm. In sPvP, I find Ranger with GS+S/D to be quite fun. It’s stupid how much health regen you can get with Dwayna runes and Troll Unguent, so much that people start accusing you of hacking since your health bar doesn’t seem to move as they attack you.

I don’t really have a favorite secondary profession though. I used to play Thief for a while, and Guardian. If I had to select one, Guardian maybe, it’s always been pretty balanced, and ArenaNet hasn’t really nerfed or buffed them all that much. They’re stable I guess, balanced.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

I would play Guardian if they had any decent ranged options tbh…

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

Would have done everything the same. Every experience is valuable. Bad or good.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

yes but only for the namesake (I will always be a [COUGH] gw1 Mesmer by heart)

Anet even flat out said Mesmer is their least favorite profession in one of their interviews, this was a while ago but still…

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

in Mesmer

EnderzShadow.2506

yes but only for the namesake (I will always be a [COUGH] gw1 Mesmer by heart)

Anet even flat out said Mesmer is their least favorite profession in one of their interviews, this was a while ago but still…

I wonder if its because its harder for them to code? Maybe? eh who knows.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

I think its because the old class became impossible to translate into Gw2 when Anet Chose to Remove Enchantments and Hex’s..

and cast bars..

and decent visible animations..

and CC..

and the trinity..

and punishment for poor play…

.. GG..

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

except scepter is guardian’s highest dps weapon

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

in Mesmer

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

except scepter is guardian’s highest dps weapon

(for large targets)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

I have an 80 mesmer, guard, thief and engi and i still like my mesmer most. My first main was actually the guard, so if i could start over i would make the mesmer first and level a (power) ranger instead of the guard.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Yeah, mesmer would still be my first class to start with.

I’d just switch to necro as my main faster.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Toshere.1732

Toshere.1732

Mesmer is a genuinely fun class.

It may not be as practical as it used to be (or not at all in most cases), but that does not mean you cannot enjoy playing the class.

Personally I love mesmer, and would happily re-roll as one.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Mesmer and the look of Sylvari are what brought me to GW2 in the first place. So, yes.
However, with how this class gets crapped on, I would have picked a different map completion toon, tbh.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

For me the whole thing about “Anet doesn’t make grindy games” would be the deal breaker. If I had known then what I know now?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

If I knew anet would have done this to Mesmer I would have told the devs and stopped this nightmare before it even happened lol.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

No I wouldn’t even consider rolling a Mesmer.

All the bugs and nonexistent dev communication on the class has killed my interest in this game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

Had I known…. I would have rolled a different profession to get to level 80 with first.

I still would have leveled a Mesmer because I love the theme/skill concepts so much but more as a novelty alt. I don’t have a lot of gaming time between 18 credits a semester and 9 during the summer, so leveling to 80 is not a trivial thing for me. I would have liked to have my first level 80 character be more useful in end game content.

Yet without the Mesmer… I may not have bought the game.

in Mesmer

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Well, I got to play with my Mesmer back when they were still good and not completely broken, so yes. Now I ckittene one of my other characters.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

I think I’d still play mesmer as my main. I only like mesmer and engineer designs. Other professions are the typical from most mmo.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

yea i would roll mesmer again but would name him:A Tree

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaurniven.2065

Xaurniven.2065

Yes, I would still roll a Mesmer if I would have known the state of the Mesmer now.
A Mesmer to me is the thing that dragged me to this game. I didn’t know jack about this game, never heard of the prequel and only knew it had nice graphics and soundtracks.

When I first saw this game I looked over the classes on some videos but restricted myself to look at any gameplay of a Mesmer and…to be honest..I love it.

The style of it, gameplay mechanics, and the feel just suits my cup of tea. It’s unique.

Fury By Furry |Given Fury | Furiously Small | Furiously Risen | Serayath

[RaW] Sassari – Commander

in Mesmer

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

I would have rolled a Mesmer.
I still feel the experience I got from playing this class is extremely valuable.

A friend of mines made a Mesmer alt a long time ago. She had huge issues completing her story line. After a while, I realized she only used one weapon set. She did not weapon swap. She never needed to do that on her ranger to kill things.

I am pretty sure I got a hang of some of the basic mechanics in this game faster than my friends playing other classes, simply because the Mesmer is not that impressive at lower levels.

Then there is the fun factor. I still think the Mesmer is the most fun to play.
I still remember how happy I was when I finally figured out how to blink forward with the staff, or how to phase retreat into the clock tower on Khylo.

That being said: Had I known the state the Mesmer would be in currently, I would have switched main sooner. (Thief)

(edited by Reesha.7901)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Domzz.1260

Domzz.1260

I would have rolled a Mesmer.
I still feel the experience I got from playing this class is extremely valuable.

A friend of mines made a Mesmer alt a long time ago. She had huge issues completing her story line. After a while, I realized she only used one weapon set. She did not weapon swap. She never needed to do that on her ranger to kill things.

I am pretty sure I got a hang of some of the basic mechanics in this game faster than my friends playing other classes, simply because the Mesmer is not that impressive at lower levels.

Then there is the fun factor. I still think the Mesmer is the most fun to play.
I still remember how happy I was when I finally figured out how to blink forward with the staff, or how to phase retreat into the clock tower on Khylo.

That being said: Had I known the state the Mesmer would be in currently, I would have switched main sooner. (Thief)

You think being a thief main is the closest thing to mesmer that actually kicks booty in all aspects of the game?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

You think being a thief main is the closest thing to mesmer that actually kicks booty in all aspects of the game?

Mhm. I made a thief mainly because I like the role of a roamer in tpvp and because anet had planned to change deceptive evasion without understanding how that would punish a shatter Mesmer. I lost all faith in their understanding of the Mesmer class at that point (even though the change was never implemented).

I do find Thief and Mesmer to be similar in some regards.

• I mainly play D/P and you have to find the right moment to land your burst just like a Mesmer.
  • Your defense is active just like a Mesmer: if you fail to dodge you will most likely die.
  • I melt to conditions just like Mesmer although I can actually clear some of them!
  • You do not have to keep track of all of your clones and phantasms (their health and positioning), so Thief is more straight forward that way. However, it is so much more painful if you do not crit on a thief because all your damage comes from that one hit.

I am not a very good thief yet, but it feels like I could do amazing things with it if I become good enough.

Ironically, that was always an aspect I loved about Mesmer too (until it reached its current state that is.)
I like classes where you are punished hard if messing up but rewarded greatly if you do not. That still holds true on a D/P thief I think.

Thief and Mesmer is obviously not identical, but yes it was the closest thing I could find to a Mesmer that seems to be in a decent state still.

Edit: and omg I am not slow anymore!

(edited by Reesha.7901)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Why… not?
Do you pick your classes for their power? O.o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Eh… do you pick your classes for their weaknesses?

Would’ve rolled elementalist, and guardian as an alt (or probably no alt as ele has enough AoE for tagging anyway).

20 level 80s and counting.

in Mesmer

EnderzShadow.2506

Why… not?

I don’t pick classes because of their ‘power’. I pick classes based on how unique and fun I think the class would be to play. ie-I would never play a warrior.

However, it would be nice if Anet actually understood the mesmer class and fixed the myriad of documented bugs of the mesmer class.

They ask us to report the bugs and we as a community do. And then they ignore the bugs, all the while asking us to submit the bugs with the class.

At this point I have no faith that the devs of this game give a
kitten

about this class. They recently proved that by ignoring documented bugs and ‘fixing’ something that was never truly broke. Sword Ileap could have been fixed by changing the tool tip.

Personally, I am unsure whether I would of picked this class or not. I love WvW, I hate being pidgeon holed as a utility bot. The class is a lot of fun to play.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

For sure, there is nothing wrong with the premise of the class or some of its mechanics. I’d just secretly sit and hope that phantasms were made more fun (or that shattering them didn’t feel iffy).

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Eh… do you pick your classes for their weaknesses?

No, based on graphics, design, such stuff. Power and even ability-content is usually always in flux in MMORPGs, so even if you roll something because you enjoy two specific abilities, they might not exist any more after the next expansion.

Of course, it doesn’t help that GW2 is very static for a MMO. Balance changes come rarely, don’t change that many things and don’t dare to do large changes in most cases. Full ability removal/additions.

Still, even given that sheer used-to-it from previous MMOs means I won’t get attached to any specific strength, weakness or even ability of a class.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Direct quote from a-net “Guardian has the highest DPS auto attack (scepter) in game.”

I’ll let you decide whether you believe it or not.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sandrox.9524

Sandrox.9524

Direct quote from a-net “Guardian has the highest DPS auto attack (scepter) in game.”

I’ll let you decide whether you believe it or not.

necro dagger :o?

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Wasn’t Ranger 1H Sword the highest AA DPS? :o

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Wasn’t Ranger 1H Sword the highest AA DPS? :o

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t.

In lieu of leveling a ranger, youtube videos of speed runs showed like 2Kish per sword auto for ranger, not counting pet’s cute growl before dying to cleave attack.

On necro I can get 2K for the first parts of the auto and then 4-5K or more for the last part of the auto, but then again I’m a WvW failhero with melandru runes on my zerker gear so that number can definitely be higher. PvE in this game is so tiring, I don’t even care about it anymore I’m afraid

As for guardian I have no idea, but I think scepter is supposed to be right behind staff ele for ranged DPS if one uses the #2 skill on an enemy with a large hitbox.

As for the topic of this thread, I don’t know if I’d have rolled a mesmer if I knew how they would be pushed out of most content by now. I play mesmer now if my guild needs one for veils or if we have enough necros on, and I may start GvGing on mesmer, even though I feel kind of click and die on it (when I go without PU) since I don’t have deathshroud as a crutch any more. I certainly love mesmer for its aesthetics above all else, even if it is a class in desperate need of a total overhaul. RIght now I’m waiting for the SAB to come out again so I can get a full set of the next color of super skins/backpiece with asura T3 to be super glowy and awesome

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Sanderinoa made me fall in love with the class. If I had never met him, I wouldn’t have played mesmer. Ever. Outside the jumping puzzle.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in Mesmer

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

I spent years as a useless mesmer in GW. This just feels like home! (But after I stopped gvging, I only played GW a couple months every year, and now I’m regularly taking two- or three-month breaks from GW2, so…)

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

(edited by One Note Chord.5031)