[WvWvW] Greatsword 'Best' Weapon Choice?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flufferz.8907

Flufferz.8907

In duels or PvP, I love staff + s/s or s/f (with CI most often). But in WvW, I can’t seem to escape the necessity of a GS for roaming or zergs. It deals so much damage at range and has strong multi-target phantasm when needed, letting you tag, burst runners, etc.

Do you think the greatsword is necessary for WvW? What do you use/recommend for WvW roaming?

And, of course, on the topic of weapon sets….what is your favorite weapon combination for PvP/WvW?

My personal favorite is the staff and sword/sword. The staff has amazing defense and pressure, and chaos storm is almost always a finishing touch after getting a CI proc on my enemy! Sword/sword offers a great phantasm pressure, blur, and lockdown (both immob and daze/interrupt), and a block that can add burst to your target.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Confessor.8957

Confessor.8957

I will chime in. I have tried every combo in wvwvw and I always come back to gs/staff. But gs/sw+x is also very good. But yes, imo gs is mandatory. 90% of my encounters end up with me chasing runners and firing a beam into someones back. Every kitten skill on the gs is amazing. air/fire on gs and doom/hydro on staff is a nice setup.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

GS necessary for roaming? Pfffft. I’ve run power, condi, and hybrid with a variety of all weapons. I don’t touch staff these days myself, not since the early after release but whatever.

GS = great for power shatter setups, and great for large scale zerging. Very really a must have for zerging in fact.

Roaming = If you can create a robust build with solid stats, and you know how to handle them, you can take any weapon loadout you want. It may be the case you’ll need both sets working in unison to accomplish your goals.

in Mesmer

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

Pretty much what Ross said.

I’ve never considered GS necessary for WvW. In the beginning, I felt the Staff was mandatory, but I’ve moved past that.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

I’ve seen roamers successfully use Staff/Sword+X. I prefer GS because of my aggressive playstyle. The burst is so great. I use GS/Staff or GS/Sword+X.

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

in Mesmer

Posted by: jenzie.4083

jenzie.4083

Its great for WvW but not necessary, I like the phantasm both for dmg, stopping enemies when chasing and getting away and the push, which is amazing for trolling, (great for pushing people in the water to kill stacks of bloodlust). I usually run with GS/sw+p but last night after some tiresome thief fights that I lost I switched it out for staff/sw+focus. I keep changing all the time though, I think it comes down to which weapon that fits your play style. I’ve had great problems with the focus but last night something clicked and the pull field is a good substitute for the push.

I wish there was out-of-battle weapon sets that was easily switchable. So if I saw a thief I could switch to staff and if it was a necro use gs. If its just switching 2h its quite easy but when it’s 1H it’s a little bit trickier.

in Mesmer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’ve seen roamers successfully use Staff/Sword+X. I prefer GS because of my aggressive playstyle. The burst is so great. I use GS/Staff or GS/Sword+X.

Man what’s wrong with your FPS in your vids It’s like a slideshow.