You know nothing John Snow.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Manczurov.3245

Manczurov.3245

Hello.

I wanted to ask you guys some questions. My experience in this game is really low, so better ask than waste gold.

Im starting right now playing with my mesmer. I have 80 lvl warrior, its not bad, but i think mesmer is original and interesting class and it looks cool. I like hybrid classes( like Force blader from cabal online).

I think for now i will mostly play PvE, but gonna try soon pvp or wvw(dont even know how exactly it works). I feel like playing PvE is not so hard i did few dungeons and they were pretty easy for me.
I have around 90G so i can buy cheap full exotic gear.
What runes should i use? The precision, power, crit dmg?
What about ascended gear? I heard its hard to get armors, so for now im aiming for jewelery. I have enough laurels to buy amulet, i also have those 10 or 11 things to buy ring from fractals, soon will be 20 to get 2. I might think about getting backpiece.
How slots work for ascended gear? I saw offensive and defensive slots, and infusion slots for agony resistance to play on higher fractals.

What PvE build should i run? I was using so far build from gw2dungeons, but i saw there is only build for sword/xxx. Personally i like using my GS, but sword looks interesting…

Any usefull tips for new-to-mesmer guy?

Sorry for grammar mistakes and thanks for replies.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Im sure you’ll find loads of help on the forums, but if you want quick access to builds go to the builds thread stickied at the top of the forum.

Unlike other forums the Mesmer community harbors people of style and class, and thus that thread is very easy to look through and find exactly what’s available.

in Mesmer

Posted by: JesseBensen.4817

JesseBensen.4817

Hello, as far as what type of armor/runes you should use depends completely on your preference. If this is strictly for PVE and you want to go with the highest dps possible, ruby orbs are cheap and would be right up your alley. If you prefer to use an actual rune, just find something that compliments your build and works logically. I would definitely advise gearing for exotic b4 ascended, as ascended gear will be a more long term project. The infusion slots on ascended gear is intended for either agony resistance infusions, or wvw infusions which give plus 5 to a specific stat, as well as either plus 1% DMg to guards if it’s an offensive infusion, or a -1% damage taken from guards of its defensive.

in Mesmer

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Search around for answers is the standard answer you gonna get. And useful cos they offer more indepth explanations.

But if you want some quick answers:

GW2 is a “when in doubt, go berserker” game. Mesmers can’t really go wrong with zerkers.

You gonna need GS cos down the road you gonna get lazy and press 1 from range.
But don’t do that in dungeons or you gonna get booted. GS is a subpar weapon.
Sword x2 or Sword/Focus is a standard safe bet.

Runes…when in doubt, use jewels first (in this case ruby). Then look for answers slowly or discover them yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Hello.

Hello

What runes should i use? The precision, power, crit dmg?

Since there will be a rune and sigil rework patch “soon”™, I would stay with the good old ruby orbs. You can go for power / precision / crit dmg (zerk) or precision / power / crit dmg (assa) for a cheaper variant. In general ruby orbs are better, stronger, higher dps. The kitten (however they are called xD) ones are better for reflection, since reflected projectiles are affected by your critchange but not by your power (instead the power of the enemy). Crit damage and +%dmg modifiers also affect them (just for you to know).

What about ascended gear? I heard its hard to get armors, so for now im aiming for jewelery. I have enough laurels to buy amulet, i also have those 10 or 11 things to buy ring from fractals, soon will be 20 to get 2. I might think about getting backpiece.

Aslong as you do not require the agony resistance, don’t build any ascended stuff. It’s extremly expensive and not that useful on the mesmer anyway, since the 5% weapon damage won’t transfer to your phantasms. Exotic is enough. Berserker again. Also very important – if you gained honor batches from achievement boxes, buy your amult from wvw, so you pay only 20 laurels + honor. Save as many laurels as you can. Try to do your weekly guild event, there are enough guilds who will just invite you as a reinforcement. So you can get your ascended accessories. Buy rings from FotM. Backpieces are expensive, a yellow one is enough for the moment. Maybe you drop an exotic from guild events (soulbound!).

How slots work for ascended gear? I saw offensive and defensive slots, and infusion slots for agony resistance to play on higher fractals.

You can put agony resist in both. The offensive just supports the overpriced almost useless +5 stats infusions. Don’t bother offensive or defensive in PvE.

What PvE build should i run? I was using so far build from gw2dungeons, but i saw there is only build for sword/xxx. Personally i like using my GS, but sword looks interesting…

The main problem with the GS is that it has a terrible low hitting aa in close combat, and just a “meh” one on long range. The scepter hits harder at 600> range and the staff has better single target phants and survivablity. IF (!) ranged is required. You will wonder how long you can survive in melee with a mesmer. Do NOT spam sword 2, it lowers your dps (yes it does less damage over time than the aa, even without vulnerability passive damage) and removes your survivability if required. Just use it if you would get struck. Also swap as much as you can to resummon phantasms. Use sword 4 block. But the main tip I want to give you: Carry all the mesmer weapons with you. Adapt to the situation. If you are new, the GS isn’t that bad. Better medium dps alive but high dps and then down. You’ll learn to melee over time by yourself. Against trash mobs the “GS 4, heal signet, 4, swap to melee, finish” is totally worth doing and there is nothing wrong about 2 and 3 of the GS too. Just try not to use GS 1 in dungeons. :P

A good build to start with would be:
0/30/0/25/15 (fury, sword trait, mantra dmg / focus trait / dmg per illusion)
10/20/0/25/15 (phant dmg instead of mantra dmg (if you don’t use mantras yet))
You’ll find your own build over time

Any usefull tips for new-to-mesmer guy?

I guess that’s all for the moment Just be sure you adapt your skills in your bar and your weapons to the situation. I’ve got every class lv80 (but guard … yet! :O) and I have to say I never swap weapons as much as I do with the mesmer.

GREEEZ I hope I could help you ^^

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Manczurov.3245

Manczurov.3245

Xyonon.3987 thanks for your reply i really appreciate that.
I think i know know what i needed to know for now.

Thanks

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dobie.7261

Dobie.7261

Xyonon already mentioned a lot, you can’t say “play around and find what you are most comfortable with” often enough.

I just want to add that you can’t compare Cabal to GW2 at all… the whole combat system works differently without Combo, BM (really miss those… ), SP, different buff/debuff, crit and tank (leech) mechanics. And especially the Force Blader was such a special class, it has nothing in common with the Mesmer (or with any other GW2 class for that matter).
Except low direct damage compared to other classes, not played by a lot of people, if you are good you can do amazing stuff in pvp (which is more a general rule though) … and sometimes using a sword.