Your favorite weapons combo is?

in Mesmer

Posted by: DarkOS.5098

DarkOS.5098

At level 25 I am using staff and sword/torch and am having a lot of fun with that. The chaos storm AoE is my favorite as of right now. Am I missing any other good weapon combinations?

in Mesmer

Posted by: yvesbeaumont.3291

yvesbeaumont.3291

staff is a must have for me…. sword/pistol combo for the other.

in Mesmer

Posted by: yvesbeaumont.3291

yvesbeaumont.3291

if the scepter wasn’t so weak, i’d try that out. especially since your clones don’t overwrite the phantasms now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: qrevolution.5867

qrevolution.5867

I’m a big fan of Greatsword/Staff. It’s a nice blend of damage and support.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Skoltnik.4361

Skoltnik.4361

I’m using staff and scepter/pistol. I just like putting lots of condition on enemys and boons on myself and allies. It’s a good weapon combo for that I think.

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickAndMove.6419

StickAndMove.6419

I use sword/pistol & staff as well. Excellent combination

in Mesmer

Posted by: Neszy.2960

Neszy.2960

Sword/Pistol and Staff. Seems everyone uses it – right so I say.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bish.8947

bish.8947

I’m a sucker for the greatsword. It’s such a fun change of pace from the traditional casters I’ve played in the past.
Plus, an Asura running around w/ a greatsword is a constantly amusing sight.

Team ¡Mela-NO-MAS! | Dice & Decks

in Mesmer

Posted by: Elem.8917

Elem.8917

I also usually do Staff and Greatsword. Been thinking of switching over to Sword/Focus instead of Greatsword though, as I’ve heard the phantasmal warden is worth it.

Elem on Henge of Denravi

in Mesmer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

well i like to run arround with Greatsword and Double Swords, but for World Events i usually go with Greatsword and Scepter/Pistol… i’d love to wield double pistols, but well, you can’t have everything in this life xD

also for PvP i’ve been thinking that scepter/sword is a good combo, cause you get 2 counters, scepter/torch also sounds interesting for a condition dmg build

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jkrman.5016

Jkrman.5016

I mostly run with Sword/Torch and staff. I enjoy the invis from torch after I’ve shattered a few times and the burn is a nice quick finish. I use staff for group moments and if I’m running into a little trouble. The boons you can stack can really save the day.

In PvP I go sword pistol though. That ranged stun is amazing for runaways! Sword is a nice mix of dmg and the invulnerability is priceless. Staff again is always great for stack boons.

Pretty much anything with sword is my choice. Switch up your off hand and have fun with it!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durron.2069

Durron.2069

I just switched over to a Staff/Greatsword combo from a scepter and sword/Staff combo. I really love the feel of the Staff and Greatsword. I would also love to try dual wielding swords but I’ve been building a damage character and don’t have a lot of toughness

in Mesmer

Posted by: Andrew.2015

Andrew.2015

Easily the best combo we have so far. Scepter, OHsword, Focus, and GS are okay, but lack the versatility. Sword/Pistol is great offensive pressure while providing defense with #2 and #5. Staff is also great defense whilst providing buffs for offense.

(edited by Andrew.2015)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lmaonade.3298

Lmaonade.3298

I’m actually rolling Greatsword/Sword+Pistol for straight damage dealing. It’s very enjoyable, has an interrupt in both weapon stances, nice surviveability.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zinnthos.3951

Zinnthos.3951

My primary weapon of choice is the greatsword. And I vary my alternate depending mostly on situation. Sword/sword sword/pistol staff and scepter/pistol.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SevenSigma.7462

SevenSigma.7462

I’d argue for Sword/Focus over Sword/Pistol. Focus gives you a speed buff that doubles as a combo field in battle, and the Phantasmal Warden is INSANE. Coupled with Feedback/Moa, you can make ranged mobs completely useless.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Macchiato.8695

Macchiato.8695

I also use the staff and sword + pistol most of the time. Depending on the fight, a greatsword is definitely needed and the torch can be quite helpful with disappearing/blinding/burning

Come join Blackbeard’s Delight on Crystal Desert!
Whisper Esauce or Espresso for an invite :)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Stylx.1927

Stylx.1927

Staff mainly… greatsword for cooldowns, and to get the second phantasm up early.

Chaos Storm – Summon illusion + Chaos Armor
Then phantasm from staff.
Reset chaos armor, then switch to greatsword to summon another phantasm. A backup illusion if one died. If mobs are close enough, I’ll hit the pushback… and a few seconds later pop back to staff.

I’ve been thinking of trying out the sword + pistol instead of greatsword. I doubt anything could make me give up staff… it is a lot of fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

Easily the best combo we have so far. Scepter, OHsword, Focus, and GS are okay, but lack the versatility. Sword/Pistol is great offensive pressure while providing defense with #2 and #5. Staff is also great defense whilst providing buffs for offense.

Sword/focus is much better then sword/pistol.

The phant does more damage and if place right, protects the entire team from projectiles for a good 5 secs.

The other skill is much better and a shorter cooldown as well.

Swift and cripples enemies, and that alone would make it better. But it other thing makes it by far better. It also can be act.

Which when does pull all enemies to it. So if you have multy enemies you can pull all into one spot and easily immbo them all warden and blurred, with that you can kill 5+ enemies with out being hit.

In Pvp if someone running away you can pull them to you as well as cripple them at same time. In WvW you can pull massive people off the walls and off the siege weapons.
In the WvW jp, I was able to hold off 10+ people in one spot using it and portal.

Also using it and IW I was able to pull a gaint zerg off a clif to there death in WvW.

A lot more, but point is Sword/focus rocks hard.

Well I use Sword/focus and greatsword(sometimes take off greatsword for staff)

I’d argue for Sword/Focus over Sword/Pistol. Focus gives you a speed buff that doubles as a combo field in battle, and the Phantasmal Warden is INSANE. Coupled with Feedback/Moa, you can make ranged mobs completely useless.

Awesome, someone else knowws about sword/focus. However you do know the Tp on focus not just swifts, but cripples enemies, and the major thing of it is. If ya press 4 again after putting it down. It pulls all enemies to it. Which is extremely useful.

(edited by EsLafiel.4517)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sol Lir.3986

Sol Lir.3986

I always carry a staff but switch out my other weapons regularly depending on what I’m doing or who I’m grouped with. I don’t think I’ve given special love to any in particular other than a staff.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Minibiskit.6158

Minibiskit.6158

Greatsword and sword/focus. I like the range on greatsword with the berserker’s cripple whirl for aoe, lets me feel like I’m in control of enemy movement speed. Sword leap and immobilize has great synergy with phantasmal warden to keep your enemy rooted in range of the warden’s melee.

I cannot say enough about Temporal Curtain, though. Gives me and my allies extra mobility, snares my enemies, cures conditions on projectile combo, retaliation on leap combo, and provides a field-wide interrupt. Still, the best part of curtain is pulling people off of keep walls or saving your allies from multiple stomps. Such a great ability.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Porkchops.3986

Porkchops.3986

if the scepter wasn’t so weak, i’d try that out. especially since your clones don’t overwrite the phantasms now.

Scepter isn’t weak, far from it. Scepter/pistol is my favorite combo by far.

in Mesmer

Posted by: peter.2738

peter.2738

For PvE I prefer Sword+Focus. For PvP I prefer Greatsword and Sword+Pistol.

2 bad we can’t have this kind of discussion for underwater combat :/

in Mesmer

Posted by: kleisthenes.6247

kleisthenes.6247

I prefer Staff and Sword + Torch most of the time, though I sometimes switch the Sword + Torch with Sword + Sword.

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vvix.9570

Vvix.9570

I have a really weird love/hate relation with focus(and I know I’m not alone here), I always have one, and probably end up using it at one of my weapon sets 80% of the time. The warden is by far the biggest dps phantasm there is(esp if combined with phantasmal haste) for us mesmer, granted we need still targets for it to be actually effective… and there it lies the core of my love/hate relationship with the focus. The curtain is just an incredible skill(especially for WvW) and a huge plus to me when I’m deciding between focus and other offhand for the present situation.

Aside from focus I consider greatsword to be the weapon I use in most cases, it’s just straight good damage and range, and I’m a fan of both(even tho I hope they’ll make our GS skill #3 be a litttle better in the future…)

Everyone seems to love staff, and with good reason, it’s one of the most solid weapons for mesmer, but for me it just doesn’t seem THAT appealing, although I still use it in Spvp atm. Maybe I need to try it more at WvW.

At the moment the combination I’m running is Scepter + focus(or pistol) and GS at pve and WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aradon.5936

Aradon.5936

I’m also using Sword/Pistol and Staff, though I switch from Staff to Sword/Focus in WvW. The speed buff and player-yank from the focus are a great asset in hunting down fleeing enemies.

I’ve been trying out Sword/Sword in PvE and think it has some worth, but haven’t really gotten used to it yet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I have a really weird love/hate relation with focus(and I know I’m not alone here), I always have one, and probably end up using it at one of my weapon sets 80% of the time. The warden is by far the biggest dps phantasm there is(esp if combined with phantasmal haste) for us mesmer, granted we need still targets for it to be actually effective… and there it lies the core of my love/hate relationship with the focus. The curtain is just an incredible skill(especially for WvW) and a huge plus to me when I’m deciding between focus and other offhand for the present situation.

Aside from focus I consider greatsword to be the weapon I use in most cases, it’s just straight good damage and range, and I’m a fan of both(even tho I hope they’ll make our GS skill #3 be a litttle better in the future…)

Everyone seems to love staff, and with good reason, it’s one of the most solid weapons for mesmer, but for me it just doesn’t seem THAT appealing, although I still use it in Spvp atm. Maybe I need to try it more at WvW.

At the moment the combination I’m running is Scepter + focus(or pistol) and GS at pve and WvW.

I so agree on this, I love the GS but I never use number 3.

It makes you stop and strike the ground. Which my normal attack does about the same dam. yes it a aoe but not even a big one.

Well I use GS for control, when I am weak(use sword/focus, and switch to GS when needs to retreat a bit and take a breath)

So yes number 3 skill is useless to me, and really hope they change it. I mean if it makes you stop to use it. Then it should be more powerful, because stopping like that can get you hurt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ktham.6947

Ktham.6947

I’m using S/P and staff at the moment. I love the quick burst S/P provides and the conditions and boons a staff offers.

Mesmers are the perfect support class, especially for dungeons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Olopi.6952

Olopi.6952

In PvE I mostly use the Staff, with enough ??(The thing that highers DoT damage) it’s really easy to kill multiple Enemys at once, for PvP I mostly use GS, the berserker can take away 1/4 of a Ligthys Health…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

I love staff. I been going through most of the game with it. I use phantasms for tanking and bombing with mind wrack and my attributes are setup to give me and my phantasm the most base damage possible. I use Power, Precision and Illusion. Very good solo build and also works well with teams.

Lady Minuit

in Mesmer

SevenSigma.7462

Thing is, GS is a single-target weapon. #3 has too small an area, and Phantasmal Berserker is not very reliable. Staff, on the other hand, has both superb single-target damage (Phantasmal Warlock) and Chaos Storm, which can single-handedly turn the tide on a group fight.

Also, why Scepter over Sword?

in Mesmer

Posted by: dyalad.1258

dyalad.1258

Staff and sword+pistol. I also like sword+focus.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

I use sword focus and greatsword primarily

in Mesmer

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

Gotta be scepter/sword. Two blocking abilities and four out of your five weapon skills make illusions. I love it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Sword/Sword + Greatsword. Talent for Power, Toughness and Precision. Makes for a fun build focused on blocks, controlling the enemy and damage mitigation.

I will switch to Scepter/Focus in place of the Greatsword if I know the target is immune to knockbacks (for the #2 on the scepter and the defensive abilities on the focus).

Makes for a nice “tanky” (survival+control) style of play.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darkstar.7839

Darkstar.7839

Other than staff, I quite like sword-torch for emergencies. good damage output and invincibility from the sword skills with an escape in form of invisibility from the torch.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vvix.9570

Vvix.9570

Thing is, GS is a single-target weapon. #3 has too small an area, and Phantasmal Berserker is not very reliable. Staff, on the other hand, has both superb single-target damage (Phantasmal Warlock) and Chaos Storm, which can single-handedly turn the tide on a group fight.

I know my weapon combination choices are far from the usual and difficult to understand, didn’t help that I should have said that I was doing mostly WvW with the said combination, I still use them at pve, but I swap combinations often there.

I’ve used sword + focus(and pistol) before in WvW, and it’s great(warden aoe + pull + sword number 3 + sword number 2 is an incredibly powerful aoe combo, granted it depends on a lot of things going right, including the sword skill #3….), but, given that I’m running a build that relies(some) on confusion to deal damage(running 20 pts into the illusions trait line), and that I just like having range at all times in WvW, I decided to run scepter instead of sword. I still wish the scepter skills had a bit more range, or a trait to increase it.

About the GS x Staff topic: I find the cripple from the berserker just essential in WvW(and in Spvp too for that matter), it’s great for catching people, it’s our only real long range snare. With that said I’m sure it’s likely that I could do even better with staff over GS, maybe I just need to find the right build for it. And I’m not sure what you meant by saying that the berserker wasnt very reliable, could you elaborate please?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vorago.3651

Vorago.3651

I almost always have Staff, then the other set is either Sword+Pistol or Scepter+Pistol. I like sword a lot, but get annoyed at the short range/buggyness of Leap.

Community Leader
www.binary-alliance.com

in Mesmer

Posted by: Abarcine.7189

Abarcine.7189

I only wish this were true. Clones will attempt to overwrite clones first however if you get 3 phantasms out the scepter auto attack will consume the first phantasm you spawned.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kieunta.6812

kieunta.6812

I use Staff as my main, and Scepter/Torch for my alt. I’m not a particularly big fan of the torch (would use the focus), but “the Prestige” has saved my tail more times than I can count.

in Mesmer

Posted by: nords.2163

nords.2163

Was sword/pistol(focus WvW) and staff for all 3 BWEs and then up to lvl 80 in release. After hitting 80, getting some nice gear and trying out GS for the fun of it, I dumped the sword+pistol/focus for it.

Staff is basically mandatory… it offers nice DPS and great def utility and nice combo field. GS however, while I always hated and thought lackluster has started to shine for me. It does way more DPS than any other weapon, lots of AoE capability with shorter CD than staff and focus and for pure aesthetics just looks awesome.

Still have sword/pistol/focus/torch in my bag; however its GS/Staff for me right now.

in Mesmer

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

i dont like Torch, cause dodging breaks the invicivility, that’s not cool at all

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeathByCactus.3954

DeathByCactus.3954

Keep using the sword in pvp… the number 2 is worthless 1v1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Abarcine.7189

Abarcine.7189

I know my weapon combination choices are far from the usual and difficult to understand, didn’t help that I should have said that I was doing mostly WvW with the said combination, I still use them at pve, but I swap combinations often there.

I’ve used sword + focus(and pistol) before in WvW, and it’s great(warden aoe + pull + sword number 3 + sword number 2 is an incredibly powerful aoe combo, granted it depends on a lot of things going right, including the sword skill #3….), but, given that I’m running a build that relies(some) on confusion to deal damage(running 20 pts into the illusions trait line), and that I just like having range at all times in WvW, I decided to run scepter instead of sword. I still wish the scepter skills had a bit more range, or a trait to increase it.

About the GS x Staff topic: I find the cripple from the berserker just essential in WvW(and in Spvp too for that matter), it’s great for catching people, it’s our only real long range snare. With that said I’m sure it’s likely that I could do even better with staff over GS, maybe I just need to find the right build for it. And I’m not sure what you meant by saying that the berserker wasnt very reliable, could you elaborate please?

Maybe he meant you can’t control which direction the berserker spins. It could just as easily twirl into that pack of 3 angry Charr as viciously spinning over that poor rabbit after it goes through its target.

Mindstab is pretty horrible. However I have to disagree about being a single target weapon. Mirror Blade and phantasmal berserker both spawn something fairly close to our target so it’s a good tool for trying to get long range mind wracks off.

Phantasmal berserker will also attempt to spawn even if the target is obstructed. This means that as long as someone is in range you can spawn the phantasm on them. This is a great tool in WvWvW for attacking through keep walls.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jae.1204

Jae.1204

I like Greatsword/Sword & Sword, gives me some range and some ways to mitigate damage when enemies get toe to toe with me. Sometimes I switch to Sword/Pistol since Illusionary Duelist is usually able to hang around longer than my other Phantasms due to it being ranged. For big events I switch to Staff and stick to that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: WakkJon.4078

WakkJon.4078

I’ve got Greatsword and Scepter/Pistol right now, but I’ll swap the Greatsword for a Staff sometimes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: washednblood.1862

washednblood.1862

Scepter/Torch for the blast plus lots of clones.
Scepter/Sword for troll tanking
Sword/Pistol because it’s awesome
Sword/Focus for speed boost, flinging mobs around, and the defensive phantasm

Yea…I carry everything. My poor inventory

in Mesmer

Posted by: semihex.6153

semihex.6153

I’m a big fan of Greatsword/Staff. It’s a nice blend of damage and support.

I agree, having the extra bounce trait makes for a nice damage boost for both weapons, and the quick clones from both can help to get two full shatters off.

in Mesmer

Posted by: FyrePhox.3546

FyrePhox.3546

I love the staff. It’s always one of my weapon sets. Insane damage and control with all skills and when paired up with Domination traits.

As for second, I’ve been rocking Scepter/Pistol since I hit 20, but I’m really starting to like Sword/Focus.

in Mesmer

SevenSigma.7462

I’m not sure what you meant by saying that the berserker wasnt very reliable, could you elaborate please?

I mean that he won’t always spin in the direction you want him to, or as often as you’d hope. As a single-target snare it is actually pretty reliable, but you can’t count on it hitting an area. If you want a single-target snare, you’d probably be better off with Sword #3, which also cripples but also teleports you in to close the gap. As for area snares, Focus’ Temporal Curtain cripples in a line, buffs allies and pulls/interrupts the target back when he tries to escape.