help Mesmer vs Thief 1vs1

in Mesmer

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

How do i win 1vs1 against a thief, i fought against 1 thief in my guild we gambled 1g because i said that mesmers are awesome 1vs1 and he replied he could beat any mesmer 1vs1 non-stop all day.

of course i got really mad, i mean i love mesmers, a mesmer its my main and of course i took the challenge.

first he went Crit-Thief
match went like this, he always stealthed when he got near me, started to do damage, then he dropped the mass invi (aka the house) and bursted me down kinda quick applied some stacks of poison and healing was almost impossible.

i tried several builds several things managed to kill him 1 of 5 encounters, tried shatter build but unless i Moa him or pistol 5 him wasnt impossible for clones to reach him.

tried perma invul wich its 2 sword, clone spam f4 and chaos storm, but i didnt do any damage on him.

first tried full divinity, switched to rune of the ogre, tried condition damage and apply confusion because i sense he spams his skills and nothing.

i need to get back my 1g, help me plz =(

EDIT: always went Staff/ sword + pistol or Staff/ scepter + pistol, i sense the problem was the staff perhaps i needed GS. idk.

(edited by Denial Of Service.5732)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zoner.1765

Zoner.1765

So you tried a bunch of glass canon specs against a class that pretty much is designed to kill glass canons and lost?

in Mesmer

Denial Of Service.5732

So you tried a bunch of glass canon specs against a class that pretty much is designed to kill glass canons and lost?

yes i did, but i guess you dont have any feedback or you cant help instead decided to bump this thread with an useless response, perhaps its easier to state something obvious instead of helping, but i guess you are not that smart to realize that this thread is about me needing help in order to get a better build against a thief instead of a QQ thread.

reading comprehension will be your best friend zoner, learn to read in order to reply.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Typhoon Blue.3698

Typhoon Blue.3698

It would probably help to not sound like a jerk (both of you). It seems you have a bit of a utility problem. Using your story, I have no idea what weapons he was using. I’m going to assume he uses mostly dagger/dagger. Maybe he’s using something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAoY8alUmaPHaS8E9JA;TgAA1CoowxgjAHLOOck4A
Try this build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAsdWlwzaqXUTqGaNJiJFBHFeqAzh6B4ZdfXpCzGA;TgAA1CoowxgjAHLOOck4A
(Might say it’s a bad link when you click on it. Copy and paste it into your address bar.)
If he opens with stealth or steal, he’s preparing for a big move. Dodge. When he does Shadow Refuge (the one with the house), run away. Unless he’s standing in it the entire time, he doesn’t gain the stealth from it. Counter his stealth and conditions with Null Field. Stand in the fields you make! Spawn as many clones as you can using a combination of Mirror Images and your weapon skills. Shatter them. One use of Cry of Frustration with 3 illusions will cause him to do over 500 damage to himself per attack for 3 seconds (I’m still kittened that it should be 4!). If he’s using Haste, this is a death sentence. Use Decoy in emergencies. Use Temporal Curtain to interrupt him. On the sword/focus set, hit 3 to spawn a clone, then hit 5 to spawn the Warden, then hit 3 again to immobilize, and then hit 2 to swing your sword wildly. This will cause the Warden to land every hit while you are hitting him with Blurred Frenzy. Shatter. Shatter. Shatter. Your phantasms’ damage should be secondary to what you can dish out, not the other way around.

Moa Morph should always be a last resort. If you’re seriously using it as a means to beat someone you don’t stand a chance against, you should rethink your play style. I prefer Mass Invisibility, but in your case, I would use Time Warp. Time Warp with the sword/focus combo is deadly and almost inescapable.

Coincidentally, my consultation costs 1 gold. Get it back so you can pay me.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mystic Angelique.4021

Mystic Angelique.4021

Well thief are very much stack to kill glass cannon in a way your fighting against a nature enemy.Here is suggestion maybe you could try dual sword the block is quite useful and are design to counter melee target. second weapon staff might be a better weapon.Dual swd Illusionary Riposte /Counter Blade should be use when thief goes stealth.Timing is important.Blurred Frenzy need to pre aim use just before he attack you .Decoy might be good too, Chao armour ,chao storm.Try fighting stealth with stealth .Run when the thief is stealth or go stealth yourself.If you can win against this sort of blind vs blind fight..You can be a Jedi knight if you manage to pull it off and there is no shame if you lose.Ask a thief to fight a necro he will have the same heartburn.Best of luck

Please watch the video just for laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2we_B6hDrY

(edited by Mystic Angelique.4021)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Solymer.7851

Solymer.7851

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mesmer#5|0|2647|4090|4088|4091|2686|20|1750|1751|0|0|0|0|0|30|2220|1818|2214|0|0|0|0|20|1775|2223|0|0|0|0|28017|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

I’ve been running this build to great effect for solo joining spvp. The build focuses around the staff and all of it’s conditions. Mirror image plus the staff2 give you three clones instantly as well as all the benefits of having illusions up.

Now as for thieves, this is how I handle them. First thing of note is it is highly annoying when they keep dropping in to invis for long stretches of time all the while maintaining their dps. To combat this you have three abilities. The first is Chaos storm, your go-to AE. The second is null field as your other AE but it does no damage. The third is to Moa him when possible. The key is the synergy between the staff2 and your ethereal combo fields they create. This, along with staff4 can allow you great uptime of chaos armor.

Now, when you couple your chaos armor with chaos storm, as well as four (including you) staff wielding entities firing condition bearing DD, he can pop in and out, jump around like a chicken with his head cut off all he wants, your conditions are eating away at him. Obviously don’t stand still and use dodge to your advantage.

If he knocks your clones out, no big deal as they will put even more effects on him when they die and the ease to get a new one up makes losing them negligible.

Special note on null field, it works while they are stealthed so long as they are in it’s area of effect. So all those conditions will be stacked on him and he will be losing any boons he has while also cleaning your conditions off and giving you chaos armor if you so choose. At this point its a game of attrition as he will eventually heal himself but unless he clears those conditions, hes dead if he doensn’t down you first.

A note about Chaos Storm, it gives you, and your illusions Aegis during it’s entire duration. It may be really tempting to use this ability offensivley but in actuallity its one of the Mesmer’s best defensive abilities.

This is the best way I’ve come across dealing with a thief 1v1. Things get dicey if someone else joins him but that’s normal.

If your wondering, my secondary weapon of choice is the Greatsword for a few reasons. The main reason I choose this is for the GS4 ability which summons an illusion that does tons of damage but more importantly slows your enemies down for when they are running away. The knockback is also a great ability to have for spvp for obvious reasons. The other benefit is the GS is the best range weapon available to mesmers and while this build does not take advantage of added power to fuel the swords damage, the sword is used more for its utility, but maintains enough damage and range to warrant it’s use when someone is running away. I will say that the GS2 ability is a bit confusing as, like you, the GS does more damage the further away you are from your target, yet the GS2 ability throws your sword at the target and then summons a GS weilding clone right next to your target…

As for runes, on all my weapons I have force runes for the extra damage (which also applies to your illusions) On my armor I prefer runes of Divinity. Don’t forget to slot a rune on your underwater mask. Divinity is usually the best to use but since I already have the full set I usually go with something that adds to my vitality.

Also, Blink is one of your best friends. Use him properly and you will never have to worry about stunlocks, or roots, or any other form of annoying CC.

in Mesmer

Posted by: djtool.8372

djtool.8372

You can invis too. When thieves invis you do the same a second or two after they do. That way they at least dont get the drop on you.

That’s one way to help in addition to your shatters.

in Mesmer

Denial Of Service.5732

thank you very much for your replies guys it really helped now its time to beat his kitten img src="/include/images/smilies/wink.png" /> ill tell you how it went.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Solymer.7851

Solymer.7851

Just remember DoS, if you still lose, come back here a fling poop till thieves are nerfed! :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

How do i win 1vs1 against a thief, i fought against 1 thief in my guild we gambled 1g because i said that mesmers are awesome 1vs1 and he replied he could beat any mesmer 1vs1 non-stop all day.

of course i got really mad, i mean i love mesmers, a mesmer its my main and of course i took the challenge.

first he went Crit-Thief
match went like this, he always stealthed when he got near me, started to do damage, then he dropped the mass invi (aka the house) and bursted me down kinda quick applied some stacks of poison and healing was almost impossible.

i tried several builds several things managed to kill him 1 of 5 encounters, tried shatter build but unless i Moa him or pistol 5 him wasnt impossible for clones to reach him.

tried perma invul wich its 2 sword, clone spam f4 and chaos storm, but i didnt do any damage on him.

first tried full divinity, switched to rune of the ogre, tried condition damage and apply confusion because i sense he spams his skills and nothing.

i need to get back my 1g, help me plz =(

EDIT: always went Staff/ sword + pistol or Staff/ scepter + pistol, i sense the problem was the staff perhaps i needed GS. idk.

I use GS, but a staff is your biggest utility against a thief. I use this combo in PvE, but I’ve practicing for the big leagues…

Drop a chaos storm right on top of you. Use staff 2 to blink backwards and give you chaos armor without having to spend the skill and blow its CD. By this time, the thief should ahve reared his ugly head. Hit 3* and summon your mage. Swap weapons and hit 5 on your pistol, stunnign them. use the 3* skill on the sword and 3* again to leap to them that immobilize them. Use skill 2* to burst them, and as you do so, use F2 to stack confusion on them. You can use F1, but if he lives, you will not be able to get 3 clones/phants up fast enough to turn around and use F2.

F2 stacks confusion, and thieves will kill themselves spamming damage to kill you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eyeless.3249

Eyeless.3249

You seem have a general idea of how to play the class based on your op so I won’t tell you which moves to use and when, but rather on how to win a fight vs a thief.

This applies to staff/sword+pistol as you’ve indicated that is what you were using.

Keep chaos armor up as often as possible while he is actively on you. You (obviously) have chaos armor as Staff #4, but you can also do this with combo fields. As explained by others above me, this is done by using staff #2 (leap combo finisher) inside an “Ethereal” combo field. Chaos Storm (Staff #5) and Null Field are good examples of ethereal fields that you can take advantage of. Having a high up-time of chaos armor against a dagger/dagger thief is an amazing advantage you can’t overlook.

Be aware of when he uses haste. Most people tend to blow their load early on so be careful of this and watch for the little foot buff! Best way to counter haste (in my experience) is to use Diversion or Distortion (default keys are F3 & F4, respectively). You can use both of these abilities while stunned, but they do require you to have clones active. If you do not have clones active, you have to resort to other parts of your tool-kit, such as blink. Also note that using haste using 100% of their endurance so he will not be able to dodge roll after you for a bit after using it. Keep this in mind and keep as much distance as possible until Haste is over.

Don’t be afraid to tango in melee range for a bit. Blurred Frenzy does a lot of damage, on top of making you immune for 2s. Try to take advantage of this when he uses a gap closer if you can (gap closers include Steal, Shadowstep, Infiltrator’s Strike, etc.). After a steal is usually their best moment to dump their initiative, if you can get them to dump it into you while you’re immune, that’s really the best case scenario.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

in Mesmer

Posted by: dottek.3461

dottek.3461

go play Staff crit condition mesmer with decoy blink arcane thievery and mass invisibility – 10,25,15,0,20 and you cant loose in 1v1

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winterfell.8915

Winterfell.8915

10/30/0/0/30 Staff and sword+pistol

You cant and may not lose! Find your rotation and beat him ^^ Rune Divinity, Sigils whatever you like! Amulet beserker! Now duel him again!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ki Bear Punk.6174

Ki Bear Punk.6174

What a joke.. In this game there are builds that just cant win ove other builds, may call em counter or what ever. For ex. if you play GC mesmer you would find it hard to kill very tanky opponent as they would heal up and slowly wear you down, other situation may be when you play def/semi def mesmer and your damage is not very big, in this situation fight could end in draw as no one would die.

But most importantly asking for a way/build to beat “thief” means u dont know much about this game and mesmer itselft. There is no “I WIN BUILD” for mesmer against said “every thief out there” and if you do not know what build are good for killing people means you havent been playing mesmer much, which lead to another conclusion you play mesmer not very good . Semi-good player can`t beat good said “thief”

Another story: I play mesmer like month now in sPvP and i almost always use same build, trying to be better and better at it, and i`m realy good, still if i try using build im not comfy with i`m complite failure as it takes time to get used to skills,rotations,tricks and all this stuff.. So yeah i dont think this is a good question, play more – improve and u will beat him!

(edited by Ki Bear Punk.6174)

in Mesmer

Ki Bear Punk.6174

Okay in previous post it may seem to you that i am some arrogant dude who can only show off or whatever. I still think only way for you to beat him is to be good/skilled mesmer, and your question is kinda abstract to give answer and there is some situations when you caught off guard or attacked from behind in sPvP so some GC thief can burst you down and stuff even if you are pro.

But if you go 1v1 prepeared there are some tricks that will help you win. Lets imagine u play Shatter/Glass Cannon mesmer 20/20/0/0/30 build with Bers, amulet and what ever runes/sigils u like. With Staff-Sword/Focus.
This build —--> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAW8dlwzaqXUTmGb9ICqHa319dkU0asWJFz2FC;TsAg0CnoUyokQJrSOlkKt+Y8xGEA

Use right utilities depending on what he uses agianst you
1.He putsa lot of bleeds on you? -> Archane Thievery or Null Field.
2. Does he uses ranged weapons and how strong they hit -> Feedback.
3. Does he stuns/cc you a lot? -> Mantra of concentrations
And so on, learn his play style/build and use something agains it. It is easy to adjust in 1v1 duel as you have time to learn your opponent(not unlike real sPvP match 1v1 fight)

How to start a fight
Lets presume u play build i linked above.

0.Put “Target” marker over his head in case he summons “Thiefs Guild” so you would not lose him. Start with Staff -> Ranged weapon own mele weapons when u`re not in mele range.

1. Open with “decoy” before he stealthens followed by (Dodge+"staff2" or Mirror Images)
U now have 3 clones.(0.5-1 seconds spent) Wait for illusions to fire one time then “Cry of Frustation” em right after.
tip if you clearly see your enemy cant understand where you are among your clones u may wait a little bit before shattering, so clones could do 1-2 more shots and apply some conditions)
2.Right after you sent your clones for shatter, summon 3 more. (2xDodge Staff2 or Mirror Images1xDodge) —> Mind wrack em right away. (1-2 secodns spent)
tip Stay close to your enemy so you could “sellf shatter him too” also when you dodge to summon illusions dodge in the direction of enemy/around em so all clones would end up somewhere near your target for max-dmg.

By this time thief would end up with 20-70%health depending on a build — So he will Stealth for shure to heal himself or do counter attack

3. If he still not stealthed summon warlock. -> He stealthed – use Chaos Armor and Chaos Storm where youd stand, Swap weapons for Sword+Focus.(not summoning warlock) (2-3 second spent)
4. He attacks you from stealth – If he burst heavy use Distortion right away + Dodge / else only dodge ---> Now best bet is to wait for one more dodge then Sword3(Illusionary Leap), but if u think that your not in a good control of situation, do Sword3 with only 2 ullusion —-> Blurred frenzy —-> (right before frenzy ends) use Diversion for 1second daze.
5. Right after “Daze” put “spectrall wall” somewhere near you and Knock him down —-> while he`s getting up summon “phantasmal warde” and switch back to staff.

End of the beginning —- Time spent around 7-10seconds —-- Hes HP pool should be on 0-40%
How to continue a fight
6. Switch back to staff (Tho swap would be on CD right after you summons P.Warde) so a) Heal b)Use Distortion if needed and u havent used it before c) just wait for swap running around and dodge rolling when u can to summon more illusions
tip things gone very bad for you he bursted you very hard, distortion on cd, all skills on CD what to do —-> make some distance and use “Mass invis” then heal (in invis) and wait for cd to drop)
7. Now u swap to Staff. Staff2+Illusionary warlock+Dodge (what ever possible depending on CD) In this stage of a fight it is best to slow your pace and not shatter couple of second while your utilities will be up.(if hes not low on HP and btw he may be) So u run around with 3illusion, when endurance is full Mind Wrack —-> +more clones via dodge. (He should be dead after second mind wrack for shure)
8. Holy Quaggan-Rice hes still alive — no worry by this time you should have Mirror images + Decoy up or almost up. Mind warc + Cry of Frustation + Swap to Sword Frenzy and so on. Just remember try to not shatter when u a) cant summon more clones right away b) cant blurred frenzy

To be continue

in Mesmer

Ki Bear Punk.6174

[/b]Time for “What if” [/b]
1. What if you dont have any clones and hes in stealth —-> Be Ready to use “distortion” and dodge, also u may summon Chaos Strom and Chaos armor where u stand it will help you mitigate damage.
2. What if he CC`ed you —- use blink to get some distance.
3. What if im very low on health and heal is not up —-> do not give up use “blurred frenzy” where u stand to buy some time, use decoy, mass inviz, dodge and blink if needed to buy some time. Simple decoy+dodge+Staff 2 could produce illusions and confuse your enemy.
4. What if he bleeds you very hard —-> as i said earlyier swap blink with some other utility that removes conditions, also play more deffensively (means use 3xIllusions – Distortions for better damage mitigation and try to keep your distance so first in sight would be your clones not you)
5. What if he summoned Thiefs Guild —> try to Mind Wrack whole group with 3 illusion and blurred frenzy em so they would die. (Use moa if he summons thiefs guild often --> thiefs guild is very strong ulty, there is no shame in using moa against it)
6. What if you both are downed., use Downed2 and Downed3 and spam with confusion like mad, he will probably use his auto-attack(downed2) also like mad and with your confusion will go to grave faster than you (note but still both downed is luck factor)
[/b] For now this is everthing that comes to mind —> time for tips [/b]

tip Use “Daze-shatter” when ever you dont have clones up and he`s near you also use “daze-shatter” right before Sword2-“Blurred Frenzy” ends this will give you 1 second of relacsation
“tip” If he is a burst type dont be shy to use “blink” as soons as he landed a hit on you, also u may use blink-to-him and Shatter-daze combo before summoning your "Mirror images for Mind Wrack.(note: Blink+ShatterDaze combo is used more as an attack for fleeing enemies)
“tip” Try to stay out of focus(hes agroed on your clones) you even can go as far as to using “mass invis” in the begining of a fight —-> Not being in Focus play very big role in winning
tip dont safe your dodges, Boon-“Vigor” will probably be on you whole time so dodge like a rock star and summon as many of clones as u can.
tip Using Chaos Armor is not always a best idea, as it will de-camouflage you pretty quick
" tipUse Chaos Storm depending on a player you fight with —> Use it on yourselft(location where u sant) if enemy have good damage, Use it on enemy if he have good defense
tip Use “Staff2” if you cc-ed it will give you 1-2meters dash and may save you against some mele attacks
tip Use distortion when everething else is on cooldown and you dont have illusions up.
tip Use “Spectral Wall” knockback every time you swapped to sword/focus its a great tool for confusing your enemy. You also may use it to pull enemy away from you or pull him to you depending on situation
tip If you summoned phantasmal warden and everthing else is on cd(including weapons swap) stay on his place(in the same spot where p.Warden stands--> enemy will be forced to take damage if attacks you.
tip Blurred frenzy de-camouflages you —> Instead u may use this combo : Sword3(illusionary leap)-—>Swap—->dodge away—->summon p.Warden(enemy is still chained) and Shatter…
tip Don`t depent on your illusions doin much damage yet do not forget they have auto attack, sometimes its better leave them attacking than shatterng to confuse your enemy of your presence.
tip do not forget decoy makes you invisible —> take a breath, asset a situation and summon some clones while you in stealth (dodge do no break stealth)
tip --->Using Dodge right after Decoy (almost same time) will breat stealth, same with Mirror Images

Lastly i do not like to use moa, as its boring skill in 1v1. Also i use focus in sPvP as it makes me faster and if you know how to use it, it is not less powerfull than pistol

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chumsy.5714

Chumsy.5714

what can you do when thief/hammer war, crits you for 10k per pop? theres nothing you really can do about it, because eventually you will be hit. But then i think this game isnt balanced around 1v1 so im fine with losing 1v1 to them, as long as we capture that fort than im good.

in Mesmer

Ki Bear Punk.6174

what a silly reference, if thief crit me 10k this only means that i crit him as much and may be even more, diffrence is just that thief do not have clones and i do.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

I play thief. DODGING is essential for a thief and AGAINST a thief. I don’t get the people that say “dodging is worthless in wvw and pvp”. LOL.

For thieves with backstab builds, the whole mechanic revolves around stealthing, activate our signet, then CRIT in the back. A good dodge can throw off this kind of attack.

Vs ranged thieves, which I usually play, pistol/pistol or shortbow is pretty much a joke when mesmers pop illusions. We’re much more glassy than mesmers :P

Vs condition thieves, we can have 3x caltrops. At that point you won’t be able to move and will very quickly bleed to death. DODGE. also, don’t mesmers have utility to swap conditions with enemy? (long cooldown, but worth it against thieves, wait for us to stack on the conditions, then reverse)

If you’re dying, I’ve seen mesmers do 2 illusions really quick, then use the mass invis spell for a fast get-away. Thieves are faster (25% speed boost + shadow step + shortbow shadow steps + trait that gives swiftness when dodging), but if you outsmart him, you don’t have to outrun him.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Eliteseraph.4970

Eliteseraph.4970

Couple of issues here, besides actual build advice which I’m not qualified to give about mesmers:

i said that mesmers are awesome 1vs1
i got really mad

Mental state when fighting thieves(or any good player, for that matter) is incredibly important. If you go into a duel with a thief, you need to be calm and on top of your game. Thieves are designed to be best at 1v1 matchups, and you’re not going to win if you’re already flustered or overconfident.

Build and gear are only part of the equation. Mental state is another.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bombul.2506

Bombul.2506

I had an enemy thief reply after our first encounter “op mesmer” last night.

I was playing really poorly (mind not in the game). This thief and I saw each other from a great distance. He was standing on a point next to a ranger. I stopped moving and just stared at him for a few seconds. He approached and then did his Steal jump. Immediately after the steal landed I pressed Block (and I am specced so that a successful block grants retailiation). He melted.

“op mesmer” flashed on my screen.

I started laughing out loud, amazed at how easy of a kill he assumed I would be. I continued laughing at the fact that a simple press of Block completely changed my perspective on combating thieves. I laughed so long that his Ranger buddy pewpewed me down.

If you are fighting a glass cannon melee thief, and he does not even bother to sneak up behind you, something as simple as block will render him useless. After this experience, I began to keep my melee weapons on whilst on points solo since I now know how to avoid insta-stealth gibs…and it worked.

GS/ sword sword btw (although I prefer staff over GS and didn’t have to use the GS against him).

(edited by Bombul.2506)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mystiq Angelic.8193

Mystiq Angelic.8193

A lot of useful tips here. I’m a skilled and competitive Mesmer. After about 600+ hours played, I still find myself having the most trouble in 1v1 with equally skilled thief. The problem here is the underlying mechanic of thief profession that puts a hard counter to Mesmer. Both professions share the same principle of using mischief and tactical game play to outplay their opponent. Thief has excellent survival rate and excellent mobility which Mesmer really lacks here. When the situation doesn’t turn in Thief’s favor, he will go in stealth for long period of time and run away swiftly to reset the battle or just forfeit. Mesmer lack consistently speed buff to catch up with opponents who has the agility to just flee away when they know they can’t win. Yes I know there are certain skills that helps us with our mobility such as temporal curtain which is one of my favorite and also blink. Focus is much more PvE oriented choice of weapon and its usage in PvP is only good for off hand switch to get TC speed buff on a 50% CD timer (Chaos trait 25=Boon duration+25%).

I think most people have already covered the topic on how to counter thief gameplay, but the real problem is you hardly can “kill” a thief if he’s determined to NOT lose and survive. On the other hand, Mesmer can’t really have this type of advantage over thief since our stealth duration is too short in comparison to thief to make an guarantee escape not possible. If you combine Mass invisibility, +1s stealth duration at max 30 req trait, decoy, and maybe blink too for the sake of just making you as comparable as to thief’s survival mechanic but at what COST? you lose a handful of other trait points, options, utility choices, and a decrease in your overall DPS capability just so you will not get defeated in 1v1 like thief.

Over the course of 8 weeks since the head start of this game on the 25th, I’m beginning to find myself harder and harder to beat another well prepared and equally skilled PvP opponent. I remember one of the dev wrote a post in the past that sufficient amount of time should be given to players to better learn about his prof and other profs before they start tinkering with balance issues. At this very moment, I still think he is absolutely right. Thief’s game play mechanic can be theorized just like Mesmer but when he go in stealth and become completely invisible like the Invisible war we still have it going on in WvW, you’re only at best guessing the timing and the location where he might reappear as coming back offensively or making his retreat.

You really can’t control the outcome of a battle when your opponent is abusing stealth for period(s) of time, and I see that’s the main problem why most players have trouble with thief. If a thief decides to use minimal stealth mechanics and insisted in battling with you until the end without abusing stealth to reset the battle, it would have been a much fair fight. The more you understand about Mesmer, Mesmer is actually easier than thief to theorize a set of counters. This is why as time goes, Mesmer itself will balance out eventually as its “complexity” nature will soon just be a set of step #1-9, 3-6, 3-1 and repeat mechanic that another profession can easily read and know what the next combo is and make the appropriate counter.

Indeed Mesmer has a very steep and long learning curve, but the complexity of this profession is also easy to read once you fully understand how its mechanic works and mostly they’re fixed. You start of the battle by X, quickly followed by Y+Z, dodge, weapon switch, X, Y, dodge, X+Z combo, kite, weapon switch, Z, X+Y combo, etc. and the whole routine becomes fixed. I know situations change from time to time and a good player should always utilize the proper skill at the appropriate timing. However, skill sets doesn’t change much and the more your opponents understand about how Mesmer’s X, Y, X+Y, X+Z, or Y+Z combo setup works, they can easily avoid it and vastly increases his chances of winning. In 2-3 month down the road, Mesmer will find it even more challenging to defeat the same professions he had previously bested due to the public have a much greater knowledge of the class’s specific skill rotations and combo sets.

“If you sacrifice nothing, you gain nothing”
GWAMM & CotG
[HERO] – Star Leader – Black Gate

in Mesmer

Posted by: Slavito.5269

Slavito.5269

In the worst case you will end up like this. Yeah i know … i was just testing a build.

Attachments:

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daisai.5879

Daisai.5879

what a silly reference, if thief crit me 10k this only means that i crit him as much and may be even more, diffrence is just that thief do not have clones and i do.

I highly doubt it that you as a mesmer will be able to crit 10k.
Unless ofc the player has a stack of 25 invul. on him during the fight.