phantasmal disenchanter, any tips?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Hi all,

I’m trying to use “phantasmal disenchanter”. Potentially looks very interesting (boon removal, condition removal and shatter fuel) but I utterly fail with it.

Does anyone succeded?

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Define your parameters for “Success”.

I use mine primarily for boon stripping, and almost solely for bosses that gain repeated buffs through turrets and the like. It’s..just..too..clunky, even for shatter fuel.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TactualRain.7109

TactualRain.7109

I’ve found in PvE (general world roaming) that it’s about 100% useless; mobs don’t live long enough for it to be useful, and when it comes up mobs will try and tear it limb from limb at the excusion of anything else (e.g. the Warrior on their face).

As Sarie’s said, it’s pretty neat for bosses, depending on the boss. In most situations, something else is better on your toolbar though.

In PvP, it’s quite the hilarious trick. I use it often; it’s one of my go-tos for when the tPvP match has, say, 5 Necromancers on the other team. Or Elementalists. People in xPvP are so conditioned to look for the Mesmer and ignore the illusions that he’ll just sit there stripping boons and conditions until you make him explode; his cooldown is pretty short too.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

There’s a boss in CoE explorable that it’s very useful for. I can’t recall the name of th boss but it stands still and have three mobs that keep coming back and putting boons on him. When you get three disenchanters out, you can practically ignore the mobs. It may work the last boss in one of the HotW’s explorables because he has virtually the same setup. Problem is he moves around a lot and I think he uses a lot of aoes. It’s been a while since I’ve done it so I can’t remember.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

@Crossplay
Thats the Mark T-B34RC3 in Paths 1 & 2, right?
3x Phantasmal Disenchanters always feels less effective then my normal approach to that boss.
Spawn 3x Sword Clones, kill the Retaliation Turret, and wail away on the Boss. Repeat killing the Retal Turret as necessary.
You Rip Boons constantly (3x Clones and yourself) from the boss. You are stacking Vulnerability for increased damage. Lastly, they are EASY to respawn in a heartbeat so that should the boss break one of ‘em, you spawn more to always have 3 Sword Clones up at all times. If the boss isn’t killing them, then you shatter and replace instantly for a bit more damage. Bonus is applying a 5s Bleed each time one of the clones crit.

Phantasmal Disenchanter works better for me when facing Bosses that are dangerous to face in melee or constantly moves.
FotM Untyped Fractal, I.Disenchanter is a nice addition to launch on the Ogre (when not bugged) to wipe out his Fury/Protection and the bounces clear conditions (Burning from Charr) from allies or wipes the odd Boon from the Charr.
—Note, you need to TIME the Phantasmal Disenchanter cast for when the Ogre is moving. That way, the Disenchanter is no longer in melee/damage range of the Ogre. Its annoying how it spawns in melee with the enemy in this situation.

Another use is in the FotM Underwater Fractal. Combined with Arcane Thievery and Signet of Inspiration, you never worry about that 25 stack of might on the Jellyfish. In fact, you WANT your allies to be eaten when Arcane Thievery is off CD so you can steal and pass around that 25 stack of might. Phantasmal Disenchanter is simply backup for if someone gets eaten while Arcane Thievery is on CD.

A third place I bring the I.Disenchanter is yet again in the FotM. FotM Cliffside this time, for the Boss fights when in the 30 tier and under levels. Having that bouncing orb clearing conditions does help you and allies who get caught in the Wells.

As a Condition Removal use … thats iffy when not solo, and even a little unpredictable when solo. In comparison to the other Condition Removal Mesmers have, this one is subpar and may not even CLEAR a condition from you due to a bad bounce of the orb OR if an enemy sneezes at the blasted Phantasm the very moment its summoned causing it to die. Not only do you need to cast the skill, but then the phantasm needs to cast his skill, bounce off the targetted enemy, and hopefully then bounce to you. Compare that to insta-clear via Mantra of Resolve or Mantra of Recovery + Mender’s Purity, or the AoE Clearing of Null Field every second + Ethereal combo field.

Having it kittenter Fodder with ONLY RESORT to clearing conditions though may work, if you are trying to specialize in a Shatter build. Especially as it will spawn adjacent to the target, thus allowing you to cast then shatter back to back for an almost insured 1x MWrack hit.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

I run with sword anywhere, so as boon striping is quite meh (I also have 20 in domination I trait shattered concentration when needed). As condition removal I want fiability, and that’s my main issue.

I was asking due the potential versatility and the low cooldown.

Thanks a lot for indicate the dungeon (I’m not in fractals yet) places where it can be used. I’ll give it a try.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Basically what MLieBennett said …

I haven’t tried using sword clones on the CoE golem yet. I developed the iDisenchanter tactic before I started to use the sword. But when you say that you nee dto kill the reta turret, it seems to bother you. You won’t have to do that with 2~3 iDisenchanters.

I still didn’t get what your “untyped fractal” is.
In FotM, I use iDisenchanter for underwater – as you said, but not AThievery. 16s CD is just awesome.
But it’s more useful for Rabsovich, the dredge preboss. I constantly gets protection and iDisenchanter removes it. That equals like +43% damage for your party. I think sword clones wouldn’t last long enough there.

So in short – as you said:
iDisenchanter is a reliable boon remover, if doesn’t get destroyed 2s after spawning, but pretty unreliable condition remover.

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

i even hardly use it with my phantasm build. the worst is non-max range and pretty long casting time. should be more like instant cast and long range with longer cooldown maybe. or replace the condition on allies remove with a slight regeneration
via a major trait in inspiration on 25 or even 30 point, which would make it a good support tool.
i always feel more like wasting time not using other skills to help the group.

i regularly use it on one boss in TA though.