scepter auto

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i think the scepter auto attack should hit three targets. thoughts?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Novamatrix.2569

Novamatrix.2569

well… its already powerful enough. if you put a sigil of torment on the scepter and run with the clone utility skills, it is powerful as kitten. ive stacked over 30 stacks of torment combining auto attack and shatters.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I’m fine with 1 target. It could pierce trough up to 3 targets like scepter 3 tough.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

well… its already powerful enough. if you put a sigil of torment on the scepter and run with the clone utility skills, it is powerful as kitten. ive stacked over 30 stacks of torment combining auto attack and shatters.

That would only happen to a golem and stacking one condition is meaningless as it can be cleansed easily.

For me staff auto is my go-to auto when I don’t have other cds. Scepter is slow and the damage is probably even lower compare to staff.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

That would only happen to a golem and stacking one condition is meaningless as it can be cleansed easily.

For me staff auto is my go-to auto when I don’t have other cds. Scepter is slow and the damage is probably even lower compare to staff.

The cleansing is wasted, because you are immediately stacking more torment on them. Same as conditions gained for the staff AA. The damage depends on if you can get them to move around or not, and I would only use the scepter AA on enemies that naturally moved around alot anyway.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

ether bolt chain is strong, the problem is that it’s only strong in melee range. from further away, it takes too long to continue the chain

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

ether bolt chain is strong, the problem is that it’s only strong in melee range. from further away, it takes too long to continue the chain

sad but true – this has never been fixed :/

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Not sure fixed is the right word; that functionality has been confirmed to be working as intended.

It’s absolutely absurd, but it’s not broken.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Not sure fixed is the right word; that functionality has been confirmed to be working as intended.

It’s absolutely absurd, but it’s not broken.

…. wat

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Just check through the balance changes for it. At one point the projectile speed on the projectile was increased to make the attack move quicker, acknowledging the linkage between hitting and the next chain.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Scepter needs to eat health like Warriors shotgun every seconds. Now your talking.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Lumpy.8760

Just check through the balance changes for it. At one point the projectile speed on the projectile was increased to make the attack move quicker, acknowledging the linkage between hitting and the next chain.

grasping for straws….

what really needs to happen? the scepter chain needs to be SLOWED DOWN so that the chain cannot continue any faster in melee range than it does from afar, and then compenstate with a boost to its damage

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

grasping for straws….

what really needs to happen? the scepter chain needs to be SLOWED DOWN so that the chain cannot continue any faster in melee range than it does from afar, and then compenstate with a boost to its damage

Uh, I’m not grasping for anything, that’s just how it is.

Also, slowed down?! Yeah, let’s not. I understand that you think the slowdown can be compensated with higher damage, but slowing down the chain has more repercussions than just dps loss. The chain already feels brutally slow. If it were slowed down more it would reach hammer guardian levels, which is practically unplayable.

The attack should be changed to hit-scan, and sped up if anything.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

what really needs to happen? the scepter chain needs to be SLOWED DOWN so that the chain cannot continue any faster in melee range than it does from afar, and then compensate with a boost to its damage

So, this wouldn’t fix anything.
The problem isn’t that melee is faster.
The problem is that the chain waits to attack until the projectile hits.

If you slow down the melee speed, you slow down the ranged speed even more, because it still waits until the projectile hits to attack again.

The mechanic makes attack speeds at various ranges uneven by definition.
What needs to happen is making the attack chain work like every other attack chain on every other character in the game: attack at specific intervals, not related to where the projectiles are at.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Lumpy.8760

what really needs to happen? the scepter chain needs to be SLOWED DOWN so that the chain cannot continue any faster in melee range than it does from afar, and then compensate with a boost to its damage

If you slow down the melee speed, you slow down the ranged speed even more, because it still waits until the projectile hits to attack again.

What needs to happen is making the attack chain work like every other attack chain on every other character in the game: attack at specific intervals, not related to where the projectiles are at.

what? if each attack in the chain took longer to activate, the projectile would have more time to reach its target before the next attack, therefor chaining consistently at any distance

scepter auto

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

what? if each attack in the chain took longer to activate, the projectile would have more time to reach its target before the next attack, therefor chaining consistently at any distance

You misunderstand. The next attack doesn’t start until the projectile hits. Making that part take longer doesn’t remove the waiting period.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

You misunderstand. The next attack doesn’t start until the projectile hits. Making that part take longer doesn’t remove the waiting period.

I think what he’s saying is that if you made the aftercast so long that the projectile would hit by the time it was over, then distance from the target wouldn’t matter anymore.

It’s an idea worthy of being burned, banned, and burned again, but technically it would work.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

I think what he’s saying is that if you made the aftercast so long that the projectile would hit by the time it was over, then distance from the target wouldn’t matter anymore.

It’s an idea worthy of being burned, banned, and burned again, but technically it would work.

Ah, I see.

Yeah, they could do that…OR…and hear me out…they could just change the mechanics to work like every other weapon.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

they could just change the mechanics to work like every other weapon.

simple as that <3

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Lumpy.8760

would you still feel that way if the damage was tripled?

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Yep, it would still suck. Simply doing acceptable dps doesn’t make an attack chain good. Your suggestion would make it insanely and unbearably slow. It already feels clunky, but with your suggestion the autoattack would be absurdly difficult to use; enforced aftercasts are monumentally disruptive to any sort of fast or fun play.

If they made it do 10x as much damage, I’d use it, I’d hate it, and I’d probably quit using Mesmer in raids rather than be forced to continue using it.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

scepter aa should be beam like GS one with lower base dmg ofc but some condi on it

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Lumpy.8760

Yep, it would still suck. Simply doing acceptable dps doesn’t make an attack chain good. Your suggestion would make it insanely and unbearably slow. It already feels clunky, but with your suggestion the autoattack would be absurdly difficult to use; enforced aftercasts are monumentally disruptive to any sort of fast or fun play.

If they made it do 10x as much damage, I’d use it, I’d hate it, and I’d probably quit using Mesmer in raids rather than be forced to continue using it.

i was imagining it’d have the same attack speed as it does from afar right now. that isn’t that slow, and you can’t deny that a lot of damage is good

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

No more condi meta please

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

i was imagining it’d have the same attack speed as it does from afar right now. that isn’t that slow, and you can’t deny that a lot of damage is good

I don’t think you actually understand your suggestion. You say ‘slow down the attack so that it is the same speed at close range and far range’. However, you don’t understand how it’s possible to do that.

It seems to me like you’re envisioning the cast speed of the attack slowing down, but that would accomplish nothing. Since the projectile is launched at the end of the cast, it simply adds time to the cast time before you can start the next attack. The time the projectile takes to hit and the cast time do not overlap.

What does overlap is the time the projectile takes to hit and the aftercast. So in order to accomplish your goal, Anet would need to rework the skills to add enormously long aftercasts to the attacks. On top of that, they would have to make it so these aftercasts could not be sheathe-canceled or interrupted in any way, otherwise you could drastically speed up your attacks by sheathe-canceling.

The result of this would be absolutely awful. Every time you used the auto, you’d be stuck in a long, uninterruptible animation. Need to dodge? Too bad. Need to block? Too bad. Want to use a skill? Too bad. Unbreakable aftercast animations are by far the most disruptive aspect of gameplay that exists. An existing example of this is the ranger sword auto. It has massive, unbreakable aftercasts, and is universally despised by everyone who has ever had the misfortune to use the weapon.

The scepter auto is bad enough as it is. Your suggestion would take it out back and blow off its skull with a 12-gauge.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Hm … I really can’t complain about scepter damage wise atm – but I’d like to see the attack speed thing “fixed”, tough. It’s a great ranged weapon with almost as much damage as the sword (traited ofc).

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

Weapon variety is good. Lets not make scepter similar to other weapons.

I play scepter/torch as main. Testing gs as second weapon now. I use it for making clone + phantasm which I could shatter – from distant.

I use scepter 2 and 3; I often forget to tap 1, strangely.

scepter auto

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I use scepter 2 and 3; I often forget to tap 1, strangely.

Yeah, because 1 is absolutely awful, that’s why.