scepter-sword/sword-focus .. champion killer

in Mesmer

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

For those who think scepter is garbage, I suggest you pick one up with a sword, and go find a champion inquest golem.

If you time it right you can make due with just that, feedback, and if really necessary decoy, and solo those things in a glass cannon build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

You can also go condtion clone spamm and kill him faster…. WAY faster. And the neat thing that build works vs more then 1 mob in the game :p

Blub.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Scepter/Sword is the best combinaison of offense and defense. You have 1-3 and 5 as damage, with 2 and 4 as block that does over 4k damage with glass canon build.

It’s a change of pace, but it’s really good.

in Mesmer

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

or i can just get 20 dueling with high precision and a GS, spam clones and see the bleeds drain it down, which also works with other mobs

in Mesmer

plasmacutter.2709

or i can just get 20 dueling with high precision and a GS, spam clones and see the bleeds drain it down, which also works with other mobs

and die due to lacking defense because feedback is down and dodges alone don’t work against the 18k rapid-fire attack it does. (same for the other cd spam builds)

in Mesmer

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

and die due to lacking defense because feedback is down and dodges alone don’t work against the 18k rapid-fire attack it does. (same for the other cd spam builds)

unless you know how to keep it off of you.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

NOW everyone likes scepter. okay bros, okay.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Josh.6213

Josh.6213

i like scepter torch but im a confusion build but i will agree that scepter sword is very good

in Mesmer

Posted by: Raze.8467

Raze.8467

I don’t know if you can save scepter since I’m not sure how valuable ‘lotta clones’ is. The abilities like mirror images and dodge clones that make staff more appealing as you level make scepter less appealing.

Were I to try though I’d definitely say the number 3 skill needs some work. The long channel means it doesn’t mesh well with the theme of the weapon. For one I’m not summoning things, for another I’m getting smacked in my face while I’m doing it, at least if I want to make the most of the confuse.

Now if it were a instant cast and I followed up with blocks while the enemy killed himself trying in vain to hit me that’d be pretty cool. I don’t know that this would ‘fix’ scepter, but it’d at least make it more fun. I mean, staff/greatsword is optimum, but I enjoy playing sword/random offhand to mix it up. Scepter I only pull out to see if it’s gotten better since I last tried it five levels ago.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

Scepter is just bad. Pretty well known. Presumably the devs know too and it’s just not on their priority list to fix given we have several viable weapons.

in Mesmer

Josh.6213

depending on your build scepter is not always bad

in Mesmer

plasmacutter.2709

unless you know how to keep it off of you.

I find these golems tend to lock target. I have yet to engage one which did not find me quickly and relentlessly pursue no matter how far back I went or how many times I dodged.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Claire.4683

Claire.4683

depending on your build scepter is always bad.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

No, it’s pretty much always bad. I mean maybe you can come up with some build specially tailored for scepter where it is the best weapon choice but it’s hard to think what that build might be. And even harder to imagine that it might be a viable build.

I mean maybe it fits into glamour confusion for added lols but that’s not a real build anyhow it’s just a way to troll dummies in w3.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Scepter user here..

For me, focus off hand is a must for my all 3 parts of the game I play (wx3, spvp and pve).

I need the speed and the pull from the curtain is just huge in many situations. So for me that is big.

Staff is my other set. So as condition/toughness build slotting sword does nothing for me.

Scepter allows me to drop the channel confusion, block if needed, while waiting to move back to staff off cool down. The sword gives me nothing during that time.

Remember there is NO other choice for ranged main hand if you slot anything off hand (torch , if anyone uses, focus, sword and pistol)

in Mesmer

Josh.6213

No, it’s pretty much always bad. I mean maybe you can come up with some build specially tailored for scepter where it is the best weapon choice but it’s hard to think what that build might be. And even harder to imagine that it might be a viable build.

I mean maybe it fits into glamour confusion for added lols but that’s not a real build anyhow it’s just a way to troll dummies in w3.

your saying confussion build is not a real build lol i am confussion shatter build and do better then when i was doing GS just trying to DPS

in Mesmer

Josh.6213

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Scepter sucks ? Well the auto attack, I can agree, but all the skills, no. You guys are just too used to GS and Staff (I’m a heavy GS user).

There are not only one builds and playstales available you know. Scepter/Sword on glass canon does 1K-1.5K each auto attack and over 2K for the third one. Blocks from 2 and 4 do over 5K. iSword does 5k-6k damage.

Sucks ? No. Different playstyle ? Yes. Slow paced ? Maybe yes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ixie.9271

ixie.9271

That link doesn’t work for me

in Mesmer

Posted by: Reggie.2481

Reggie.2481

For pve at least my build works very good. Better then a shatter build. Shatters miss to often and rely on deep illusions to much.

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mesmer#6|2|0|0|0|0|0|30|1750|1751|1744|25|1759|1815|0|10|1818|0|0|0|0|0|0|5|0|0|0|7|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

What i have so far. Im sure its improvable.

Offhand sword in this case is great. I get double block which retaliate for alot of damage, swordsman goes in their face and hits hard. I dodge in between to kill off clones. This way the mobs get alot of conditions on them in no time. Anything they kill themselves just gives them more conditions.
Ofcourse depending on the situation i can swap out offhand sword for focus or pistol but i prefer any phantasm that gets in their face so them getting killed, by my dodge or by them, benefits me.
On top of that i get great defense.

Im still planning to mess around with something else besides the greatsword.

(edited by Reggie.2481)