shatter build... improvable?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Troopa.6179

Troopa.6179

good day mesmer community

After leveling a ranger, an engineer and a guardian. I finally decide to try it with the mesmer. I hope i don’t get tired to soon.
I’m not very used to the possibility and skills but i think i understand the most of them.

My goal for this mesmer, which is a tiny and nasty asura, should be getting much damage and others out of my clones/phantasm by shattering them. beside that i should do enough damage by my own.
I don’t want to fight with 4 on 1. I just want to create clones to shatter them again and again.

As a second ability should my mesmer be up for supporting team mates and annoying foes by cleaning them of applied condition/boons.

for my states i would go for assassin’s attributes to get more power and precision.
the sigils are “superior sigil of nullification” and “superior sigil of accuracy” the rune i thought can be the mesmer rune 5 times and one precision rune.

shattering assassin build
the whole build should be used in dungeons and PvE content.

i hope you can give me some useful feedback.
regards Troopa

veteran ranger (main)- Troopa The Hawk – tyrian survivalist
veteran engineer – Whiteclaw Pete – flaming bastard
veteran guardian – Wolfborn Troopa – healing eagle

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I would suggest you try out the standard shatter builds first.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQRAsc8alwzip3UzoGa9ICqHaH29dkK0alewbXYuB-jwxAY/BRTfCNVIQJviox2GKiGruGT5SEVDA-e

(you can swap Blink for whatever utility you need for support, ex Null Field)

(edited by frifox.5283)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

……..first of all. What kind of shatter build do you want? There is mind wrack damage yes. Though there are also some condition confusion shatter builds.

……..btw don’t touch assassins…….its bad…….berserker is better

in Mesmer

Troopa.6179

generally pure damage like “mind wrack”. though “cry of frustration” would be also nice with its confusion.

about assassins… hmmm. Can you give me the numbers why i should change to berserker? I thought would be nice to have more precision.

@frifox: i can translate your post to “your idea is kitten try this instead”. isn’t really helpful.
though the sw/sw and sw/p idea could be worth thinking about. but i don’t like the pistol and sword off hand either.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Hi and welcome to mesmer community xd

Here’s my feedback.

- First of all, you need to know that all the traits that work with clone death don’t activate with shatters. So Confusing Combatants (25 in duels) is not worth if you’re going to shatter a lot.
Instead of that, I would put 30 in illusions, so you can take illusionary Persona (XI in illusions) and you will realize that you DPS is much better.

- In dungeons and general PvE, boon stripping is not that important, since most bosses or have very few boons, or theirs are perma. In that case, I find that Shattered Concentration (VII of Domination) can be switched for a better one. For me, I would put 10 points of domination into Inspiration to take the Glamour CD trait. That will be a great increase of your support, as a lot of PvE stuff are projectiles and Null Field shines with the stationary bosses.

- Desperate Decoy (V in duels) is a good choice, but I find it more suitable for pvp. Stealth is mindless in PvE, also there’s enough clone generation from Deceptive Evasion and weapon skills. Phantasmal Fury (II) works better. Even if you shatter a lot, your phantasms will make at least 1 full shot, and perma fury helps to increase your DPS.

- I think that there are better options for sigils. Try sigil of bloodlust, perception, battle, generosity, blood, force…

- And finally, Assassin gear fits more a phantasm build, to take advantage of Sharper Images. But in a shatter build, berserker will be better.
It has been proved that assassins only outperforms berserker when you have a lot of traits or options that activates with critical hits, but if there only one or two, then berserker will have a better DPS.
But don’t worry of this point, if you already have an assassin set, don’t change it, cause the differences are unnoticeable.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

@frifox: i can translate your post to “your idea is kitten try this instead”. isn’t really helpful.
though the sw/sw and sw/p idea could be worth thinking about. but i don’t like the pistol and sword off hand either.

Yep, pretty much. Since you mentioned that you just recently got to 80 I figured it would be to your benefit to first play around with a build that has all traits benefiting direct shatter damage with weapons that will also provide you one of the most DPS on their own, all with traits that lower skill CD to the absolute minimum -12 sec phantasms and more ways to generate clones than you could shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deathcon.5903

Deathcon.5903

in Mesmer

Troopa.6179

Yep, pretty much. Since you mentioned that you just recently got to 80 I figured it would be to your benefit to first play around with a build that has all traits benefiting direct shatter damage with weapons that will also provide you one of the most DPS on their own, all with traits that lower skill CD to the absolute minimum -12 sec phantasms and more ways to generate clones than you could shatter.

I never mentioned that i recently got to 80. Never think about something before you didn’t look close.

@deathcon: your link wasn’t that much helpful since the first table is incorrect i believe. you do with 50% crit dmg more damage than with 200%?! this table doesn’t make sense at all but if it does would be nice to explain it. I can’t see through.

@Ansau: can you explain me the purpose of illusionary Persona?
I took desperate decoy cause of the clone not the cloak and i don’t have a full set of armor at lvl 22.
your other improvals are very helpful. I’ll think about them, thx

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

The purpose of illusionary Persona is that you count as a fourth illusion that is shattered. So if you’re shattering and being in range, all shatter skills will activate as of 4 illusions were shattered, so Mind Wrack will do much more damage, Cry of Frustration will apply 8 stacks of confusion, you’ll be able to daze 4 times and stack the 25 cap of vulnerability with domination traits, and if you are in a bad situation, Distortion will bring you 4s of invulnerability.

Distortion don’t require you to be in range of the enemy, as the range don’t count, just the number of illusions you have.

Also, illusionary Persona also gives you the possibility to activate shatter skills even if you don’t have any illusion up.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

I never mentioned that i recently got to 80. Never think about something before you didn’t look close.

After leveling a ranger, an engineer and a guardian. I finally decide to try it with the mesmer

This gave me an impression that you leveled ranger/engine/guard and you decided to try the same with mesmer, aka leveling him to 80. Either I misunderstood you or your wording was very misleading.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

……..first of all. What kind of shatter build do you want? There is mind wrack damage yes. Though there are also some condition confusion shatter builds.

……..btw don’t touch assassins…….its bad…….berserker is better

unless you can gain 1% crit chance by replacing 1 or 2 pieces of armor with assassin instead of zerker (if more than two pieces are needed i wouldn’t go with assassin)

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deathcon.5903

Deathcon.5903

Troopa it is not my job to teach you how to read a chart. The information you wanted is right there and if you can’t understand it then read the comments.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ludicolo.3490

Ludicolo.3490

Troopa: “hey guys just starting a Mesmer any help appreciated!”
Everyone else: “here’s great advice to doing well with shatter build just like you asked!”
Troopa: “your advice sucks. This link sucks. Don’t tell me what to do.”

Wtf lol why ask for help if your gonna shoot everything down?

in Mesmer

Troopa.6179

After leveling a ranger, an engineer and a guardian. I finally decide to try it with the mesmer

This gave me an impression that you leveled ranger/engine/guard and you decided to try the same with mesmer, aka leveling him to 80. Either I misunderstood you or your wording was very misleading.

yes i got lvl 80 with my 3 other chars but not with the mesmer. maybe both your and mine post were misleading. we can just let it be now

Troopa: “hey guys just starting a Mesmer any help appreciated!”
Everyone else: “here’s great advice to doing well with shatter build just like you asked!”
Troopa: “your advice sucks. This link sucks. Don’t tell me what to do.”

Wtf lol why ask for help if your gonna shoot everything down?

i asked for improvements not whole new ideas. Improve something does not mean trash the old stuff and do something new and if you don’t have something to improve my build idea be quiet, then.
if I can’t understand the link it’s my matter. I never said it’s bad I just asked for explanation because what I read out of it thought me wrong.

@all the others: thx for the infos and help

shattering assassin build 2.0
i have rebuild my idea a little bit. Maybe it’s worth to put the GS away too but i’m not sure about that.
what weapons should I use for this kind of build?

(edited by Troopa.6179)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

I usually run sword/sword/focus for my shatter build and trait the sword.
Sigil of nullification is not worth it for a mesmer. If you go 20 in domination, you can aoe strip boons like mad. This is only useful for dredge fractals and 2 bosses though. Those two bosses can also have disenchanter on them. Otherwise, never bring that trait/disenchater. Null field/sword auto attack (strips boons so no need for nullfication) for the occasional undead trash that stacks boons.

When I feel like shattering, I go with 20/20/0/0/30. If you want to go inspiration, just go 0/20/0/20/30 or run a phantasm build instead. With IP, don’t always feel the need to F1 w/ 3 illusions, having 2 or even 1 is still decent damage. F2 also does about 800 power dmg per clone and potentially 2-10k confusion vs some bosses (alpha attacks 5x per attack). If you don’t want to waste your clones on F2, just tap it right after F1 or as your perfect time a dodge for some bonus selfplosion. If you are timing dodges correctly, the clone would probably die anyways so why not add some more confusion bonus.

Since you have 15 in dueling and confusion on every shatter, run sigil of battle for the boost to power/condi dmg. Or just for the power dmg, it’s still that good. 5 & 15 points in domination means that sword 4/4 and F3 can do a wave of 8 vulerability or 25 stacks on a defiant boss. Dazing mobs in PvE is basically a stun while also increasing your parties damage by 8 or 25%. In pugs, that is great, especially if timed with your TW. In organized groups, 10/30/0/0/30 may serve you better.

Lastly, pay attention to your phantasms. If you have 20 domination, trait for 15% more of their damage if the dungeon doesn’t need boon removal. Shatter them right after they attack/summon them right after a MW. On some bosses it will still be better for you to leave up 3 phantasms if you can. Realistically, kill them before a boss kills them.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

@deathcon: your link wasn’t that much helpful since the first table is incorrect i believe. you do with 50% crit dmg more damage than with 200%?! this table doesn’t make sense at all but if it does would be nice to explain it. I can’t see through.

horizontal axys: crit damage. The base crit damage is 50%, so for your build you should check the column below 150% (50 + 96)
vertical axys: crit chance. You have 76%, so you should check the value on that line.

Value at 150% crit dmg and 75% crit chance: 2975.
If your power is more than that (hard to imagine, I don’t think you can get to that number even with 25 might and 25 bloodlust), then gaining more crit chance (precision) gives better returns, otherwise, gaining power gives you better returns.

This doesn’t factor in increased bleeding procs from clones/phantasms from sharper images (I’m not sure if anyone did the math for that), but you say you’re interested in raw direct damage and in that perspective, berserker gear is superior to assassin’s gear.