torch or focus for wvw confusion

in Mesmer

Posted by: blackbolt.8160

blackbolt.8160

i am currently using torch with my confusion build, and switch to focus when i am alone but switch back if i see anyone.

i love the speed buff of focus but the prestige and even the phantasm of the torch seem much more helpful.

what does everyone else use? (pistols are counterproductive for confusion builds imho)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Exolithus.2589

Exolithus.2589

combine iduellist with a aether combo field…there you got your confusion

i would say torch is more for zerg vs zerg while focus is more for sieges

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I dont do confusion builds.

However the focus warden can be use for a aoe confusion combo, or the tc can be use to cleanse all debuff off of you.

Also focus tc can pull up to 5 guys into any spot you want them to be. Also for running away you put it down get swift and wait for the people to past it, it gives them cripple and then use it to pull all the guys back.

It a really good skill for getting away if needed.

Also for control the enemies, canceling skills they useing like elites(with it pull) and just pulling all enemies together.

Then aoe them easy. I pull together and then use sword 3 to immb them and aoe the crap with warden and 2 on sword.

Lastly once the focus been traited, it skills reflect all long range skills. So you can also then use tc to stop all long range from hitting you. as well as warden if done right.

Well was just telling you the uses of the focus.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Both. Torch for general, open combat. Focus for pulls from walls/cliffs, running (as you’re doing), etc.

in Mesmer

Posted by: blackbolt.8160

blackbolt.8160

woaaaahh waiiit. iduelist and iwarden add confusion? i had no idea! so 8 hits from i duelist add 8 stacks?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Osicat.4139

Osicat.4139

No, iduelist is 20% chance / shoot to add confusion

in Mesmer

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

“A multi-projectile finisher has the same effect as a projectile finisher, but only 20% chance of applying the effect; the exceptions are Vulnerability and Confusion, which are 20% both for single and multiple projectiles. "

Thats why. Only 20% chance for confusion. Otherwise i would run staff and pistol offhand. Chaos storm+ duelist = ouch :-)

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: grimmson.9154

grimmson.9154

imo torch.

focus 4 is good for moving around the map but in a 1vsx it is only good when with sword mainhand. warden is plain bad imo. even when summoned on a knocked back enemy it does lacking damage and if the enemy stays in warden you could have killed him with any other weapon.

on the other hand prestige is awesome. every stealth is a big + to any roaming build and it does good damage with a condition spec. you can use blink while channeling it so a guaranteed 2-3k aoe burning and a good surprise opener.
image is ok. not that good but ok. usually that is my first skill to use when I jump on somebody. 3 stacks of confusion + one illu to shatter :\ (could use a little buff imo^^)

edit: ah and don’t forget prestige is a blast finisher so combined with your fields you can spread the love of chaos armor to your buddies (or other nice stuff)

in Mesmer

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

imo torch.

focus 4 is good for moving around the map but in a 1vsx it is only good when with sword mainhand. warden is plain bad imo. even when summoned on a knocked back enemy it does lacking damage and if the enemy stays in warden you could have killed him with any other weapon.

on the other hand prestige is awesome. every stealth is a big + to any roaming build and it does good damage with a condition spec. you can use blink while channeling it so a guaranteed 2-3k aoe burning and a good surprise opener.
image is ok. not that good but ok. usually that is my first skill to use when I jump on somebody. 3 stacks of confusion + one illu to shatter :\ (could use a little buff imo^^)

edit: ah and don’t forget prestige is a blast finisher so combined with your fields you can spread the love of chaos armor to your buddies (or other nice stuff)

Warden is epic, you just fail with it.

in Mesmer

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

Cant count the number of times torch Prestige saved my back. Torch for fights, focus for pulling people down walls and cliffs and speeding myself up. Then quickly switching back to torch. The confusion from the #5 also benefits your build. So yes, for me torch feels more useful. No doubt others can make focus work better for them. Its a matter of personal style.

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”