1200 range POWER weapon.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

“Axe is long range power weapon.” Get out of my house. Axe is only 600 range. Anyone got any ideas for long-range power-oriented weapons? Beacuse staff is a feather duster, and leans towards condi.

Hammer – Could shoot out bursts of energy with each swing?

Mace – Same concept?

I would say Greatsword also, but normal bladed weapons like Swords and Greatsword doesn’t suit Necromancer very much.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

Personally I don’t really want to see a 1200 range power weapon for necro, maybe a 900 one but not 1200.
And axe is for.skirting the edges of combat
And I.love 600 ranged weapons no.clue.why

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

Axe is terrible. A long channel that can be canceled by simply running through the necro. Not hard to do when the range is only 600. It’s dps isn’t even that good, dagger is better and dagger works even if the enemy is trying to hide inside your character (oh myyy).

Now put that same channel on a 1200 range weapon, and then we might have something there. I’m all for Longbow myself though I totally expect us to get melee cleave GS.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Or they could make reapers might a not meh trait by making it also cause that LB doesnt lose as much damage when on full range, thus making DS power from high range compare to nades n ele staff.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

I agree. Than it would be a bit like mesmer (staff = condi and gs = power). I would prefer longbow because gs on necro doesn’t seem fitting. Other than that we have short bow which could work but probably isn’t going to happen.

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Carlos.7915

Carlos.7915

I would love Longbow for ranged power and Sword for meele cleave dps

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Agreed.

if a necro can wield a bow or a hammer then the arbitrary rules set by other games shouldn’t apply for what fits a necro. I would love a LB as well a a sword and GS.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Agreed.

if a necro can wield a bow or a hammer then the arbitrary rules set by other games shouldn’t apply for what fits a necro. I would love a LB as well a a sword and GS.

Actually, GW1 rules do apply. Ranged weapons (that aint staff/scepter) and melee brute weapons (aka monk and mesmer weapons) cant be used by necros since they cant use their powers with them. IF we would need another source of ranged power (you know, except out freaking profession mechanic) the options would be limited to a) using a melee weapons as a ranged focusing equipment b) a rifle/automatic firepower.
Just as scepter/focus are like the lowest on the warrior equipment list, so are bow/shortbow on necro.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

What wrong with a shortbow? firing some green poison stuff that explodes in death from range? sounds ok for necro if u ask me.

Thing is, anything is OK. we have 4 weapons. FOUR. with no cleave and axe being soooo bad, even power scpeter is better (pvp). and ele as caster looks good with conjured bow and GS. So again, anything we get, ill take it just a list of what I would add:

1) torch – offensive condi weapon
2) sword – melee cleave + there are too many GS around and swords looks same awsome
3) short/long bow – ranged power , maybe hybrid if they get it right

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i’m honestly not sure why something like death nova isn’t a death shroud skill. cause an explosion of death magic, dealing damage, more per each condition?
but yes, we need more weapons. i’m hoping on greatsword. something to give us mobility, anything :/

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

(edited by Lightsbane.9012)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jansy.8463

Jansy.8463

Death Shroud is our 1200 Power Weapon in my opinion

Hopefully, Dark Path doesn’t bug out so you can get into range and do some damage.

Would love to see Shield implemented, could offer more attrition capabilities.

Gold Cape via Hall of Monuments pls…

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Death Shroud can’t be a ranged power weapon unless they increase its 1200 range damage, and DS doesn’t degen. It just doesn’t do much, at 1200 range it is literally just an auto attack and doom, plus it already restricts us from using DS for anything else, and we have awful 1200 range LF generation.

We need an actual power weapon at 1200 range, I’d even take as low as 900, but we need a full skillset that is a true ranged power weapon above 600. Also that weapon restriction, even if ANet is still going to run with it, has not been maxed out on. Trahearne runs around with a greatsword, there are Necros (technically undead but use Necro magic) who use hammers. So even if we can’t use bows, there are sufficient weapons still in the game that we should be able to use.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Lorelei.3918

What is this nonsense that Necro’s “can’t” use bows. Ranger/Necro was a viable combination in GW1 and vice versa. Not to mention Ritualist/Ranger… Also WoW has dark rangers. UO has Necro Archers.

But most importantly, GW2 needs a class that doesn’t suck with their longbow. (Warrior doesn’t count since they only use their longbow as a setup tool, not a primary damage dealer)

The necro is the ‘warrior’ of the caster classes. Everything we do is a magical variation of the warrior. Our class mechanic builds up a resource, and then uses it. We have the same HP pool. We actually have a melee weapon set. We’re the only caster that uses a friggin axe (albeit in a very stupid way). So if we get Longbow or GS we will still fit inside that Death Knight esque theme that Anet has given us.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

But most importantly, GW2 needs a class that doesn’t suck with their longbow. (Warrior doesn’t count since they only use their longbow as a setup tool, not a primary damage dealer)

Well that’s hardly fair, seeing as the only other class that uses Longbow is Ranger.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

We need a new weapon that’s all. A 2 handed scythe. You know you all want it. The scythe animation on staff is cool, but not a real scythe, and i want a power weapon anyway. A gap closer or some kind of teleport, a pull, a block, and maybe a life drain of some sort. That’s what i’d love to see on scythe.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Sarrs.4831

We need a new weapon that’s all. A 2 handed scythe. You know you all want it. The scythe animation on staff is cool, but not a real scythe, and i want a power weapon anyway. A gap closer or some kind of teleport, a pull, a block, and maybe a life drain of some sort. That’s what i’d love to see on scythe.

I don’t want it. Scythes are overdone. Actual war scythes are more like spears.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

What is this nonsense that Necro’s “can’t” use bows. Ranger/Necro was a viable combination in GW1 and vice versa. Not to mention Ritualist/Ranger… Also WoW has dark rangers. UO has Necro Archers.

The necro is the ‘warrior’ of the caster classes. Everything we do is a magical variation of the warrior. Our class mechanic builds up a resource, and then uses it. We have the same HP pool. We actually have a melee weapon set. We’re the only caster that uses a friggin axe (albeit in a very stupid way). So if we get Longbow or GS we will still fit inside that Death Knight esque theme that Anet has given us.

Do i have to explain that (bad) touch ranger =/= necro (and even if they are counted as such, no sane touch ranger used any of the plethora of bows, since blood magic triggers on staves/wands/foci gave way bigger benefits than 2-3 shoddy ranged skills that dont get the benefits of true damage).

Same as hexway/discordway Nec/Mes Necr/Rit and Nec/Monk aint monks, mesmers nor ritualists.

Also we technically never hit the enemy with any physical attack.. ever
Mesmers actually hit a enemy with their movement (sword) and eles hit enemies with physical objects (*cough jebus stoning *). We just rip at them with life force or spirit bugs…

As mentioned melee control cleave weapon could work (be it hammer, GS or swords, last one being my personal preference because i wanna see how bolt aura works in DS), but even if its a ranged weapon, both rifle and pistols have a higher chance to be the next necro weapon than bows.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

#LetMeShootMinionsFromAPistol

My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Lorelei.3918

I know Longbow doesn’t have a chance. Anet loves their greatswords. I even made a ascended gs for the occasion. I’m a lb advocate though. Regardless of whether n/r actually used b ows..they could have. So therefore its incoorrect to say a necro “can’t” use a bow. Also further reference In east Asian cultures the bow is a ritual tool. I think if arguing against necrosis getting Longbow it should be less about style or lore and more about game mechanics. What does the necro need more? Melee cleave or ranged power?

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

I know Longbow doesn’t have a chance. Anet loves their greatswords. I even made a ascended gs for the occasion. I’m a lb advocate though. Regardless of whether n/r actually used b ows..they could have. So therefore its incoorrect to say a necro “can’t” use a bow. Also further reference In east Asian cultures the bow is a ritual tool. I think if arguing against necrosis getting Longbow it should be less about style or lore and more about game mechanics. What does the necro need more? Melee cleave or ranged power?

a) everyone could use every tool, that doesnt mean that they could cast all (if any spells using said tools
b) Actually, no it does mean that necros cant feasibly use bows past anything but environmental weapons
c) No they aint, they are very heavy hunting and fight initiation tools, as were their uses in GW (aka pulling, burst and hit triggers), Axes and maces were at least used by healers and priests (for sadly obvious meat shop reasons).

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Necros need melee cleave arguably more than we need ranged power, depending on what game mode you’re in, so that isn’t exactly the best argument to make.

My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Lorelei.3918

Seriously andele who appointed you master of necromancer lore? You don’t feel like you’re being just a little closed minded? Also bhawb I would be happy either way. I would prefer ranged power for gvg/wvw where its usually too dangerous for us necros to go melee.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Agreed.

Actually, GW1 rules do apply. Ranged weapons (that aint staff/scepter) and melee brute weapons (aka monk and mesmer weapons) cant be used by necros since they cant use their powers with them. IF we would need another source of ranged power (you know, except out freaking profession mechanic) the options would be limited to a) using a melee weapons as a ranged focusing equipment b) a rifle/automatic firepower.
Just as scepter/focus are like the lowest on the warrior equipment list, so are bow/shortbow on necro.

Actually, they don’t. a-net has stated that they are currentlly working on giving all weapons to all classes.

Weapons simply act as focus for casters. What in lore prevents one weapon from beign a focus and not another?

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Agreed.

Actually, they don’t. a-net has stated that they are currentlly working on giving all weapons to all classes.

Weapons simply act as focus for casters. What in lore prevents one weapon from beign a focus and not another?

Actually no, again all red posts and talk about future content in terms of weapons wnt along like: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/ Some more existing weapons, some new ones.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Evo Sapien.5298

Evo Sapien.5298

Agreed.

In lore? Maybe nothing. In magic? Weapons can be enchanted, hexed, cursed etc but other than that magical tools involve athames, candles, focii etc. Athames, or ceremonial blades can NEVER be used to actually cut anything. It would ruin the athame, much like ele daggers, necro axe, or mesmer greatsword.

And i have no intention of desiring a Longbow that does not fit this class at all just because other mmos think its cool. What the hell am i supposed to shoot? snakes? preposterous. Poison arrows? its been done.

Honestly I have no idea what current weapon could possibly work as a 2h power weapon for a necromancer I mean i could see them with a land trident or a scythe, but anything else would require a vast amount of looking the other way and pretending its not completely ridiculous.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Sarrs.4831

And i have no intention of desiring a Longbow that does not fit this class at all just because other mmos think its cool. What the hell am i supposed to shoot? snakes? preposterous. Poison arrows? its been done.

why not shoot SPOOKY GHOST ARROWS?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Whoever said we don’t physically hit anything with our weapons… are you sure dagger doesn’t hit? Give us a scythe and a bow, the bow shoots poisonous kitten, the scythe shoots bhawbs.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Actually no, again all red posts and talk about future content in terms of weapons wnt along like: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/ Some more existing weapons, some new ones.

This isn’t strictly true, its just what they are saying right now, likely because there are a ton of people who want new weapons. However he did state in an interview ages ago that they were attempting to give all weapons to all professions (no promises, just that they are trying). Its possible they changed their mind, or just changed their public stance, but there is reason to think a lot of weapons will be shared (since only very few make absolutely no sense).

I wouldn’t expect things like warrior getting scepter/focus, but generally most weapons “can” fit, although lore might prevent them for reasons. However ANet seems to not care so much about lore compared to having gameplay fit their desired theme.

the scythe shoots bhawbs.

This is something I wouldn’t want to inflict on my worst enemy.

My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Whoever said we don’t physically hit anything with our weapons… are you sure dagger doesn’t hit? Give us a scythe and a bow, the bow shoots poisonous kitten, the scythe shoots bhawbs.

Dagger causes spectral cuts and a bite (green slashes in black mist caused by it), it physically doesnt actually hit the enemy if you check it out (physical hit from all other weapons have those rocky/blob particles with white slashes).

Its very easy to notice on upscaled models based on its attachment point (aka its a on enemy effect like scepter and axe) or by wildly flailing with the dagger and not getting the effect (while for examine warrior swords mesmer swords or thief dagger always keep their hit effects on no hit attacks since they are actually on he weapon model.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Isnt staff 1200 range?
I think the autoattack only needs to hit more reliable (faster projectile speed and maybe also a shorter aftercast). Yes, one could argue it is not a pure power weapon but it is still 1200 range and if the aa would hit more often i think necros wouldnt need an extra 1200 range power weapon.

What necros however really need is some sort of melee cleave weapon. I still think axe should be redesigned into a 600 range cleaving weapon.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Carlos.7915

Carlos.7915

Dagger causes spectral cuts and a bite (green slashes in black mist caused by it), it physically doesnt actually hit the enemy if you check it out (physical hit from all other weapons have those rocky/blob particles with white slashes).

Im not saying youre wrong or something like that but causing ``spectral cuts`` is at least a very poor excuse for why we can use dagger and not other weapons , i mean, if we can cause spectral cuts with dagger why couldnt we do it with a sword or fire spectral arrows with a bow?

(edited by Carlos.7915)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Lorelei.3918

It’s kind of ridiculous that we’re worrying about how magic ‘works’ inside a video game. The rule of cool trumps all of this nitpicking and the suspension of disbelief is more powerful then any fanboys nerd rage.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

It’s kind of ridiculous that we’re worrying about how magic ‘works’ inside a video game. The rule of cool trumps all of this nitpicking and the suspension of disbelief is more powerful then any fanboys nerd rage.

WARNING, TV TROPES LINKS:

Rule of cool also states that ranged weapons are worthless.
Proof provided:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool (that reminds me, we should have forced caps speak while in DS/Lich form and a guitar weapon and players with Death nova should get a active mini version of a undead Drake or Skale called Death of Critters who instakills any critter in 240 range around it)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImmuneToBullets (compare and contrast this warrior trope to the necromancers http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RegeneratingShieldStaticHealth)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeflectorShields
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeehiveBarrier
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KineticWeaponsAreJustBetter

Note that despite most players using the Conspicuous Segregation, GW2 (and GW1 for that matter) actually can and should be played as Naturally Integrated S&G games based on the http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlidingScaleOfGameplayAndStoryIntegration?from=Main.GameplayAndStoryintegration

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Isnt staff 1200 range?
I think the autoattack only needs to hit more reliable (faster projectile speed and maybe also a shorter aftercast). Yes, one could argue it is not a pure power weapon but it is still 1200 range and if the aa would hit more often i think necros wouldnt need an extra 1200 range power weapon.

Its not just not a pure power weapon, it only has one pure-direct damage attack, and one that scales decent with power. Scepter deals better direct damage, but it isn’t a power weapon. Staff is a condi utility weapon that is only in non-condi builds because we have no other good option. If we had a different option to use at higher than melee range for power builds staff would see a huge drop in play.

It’s kind of ridiculous that we’re worrying about how magic ‘works’ inside a video game.

Its actually very important. If Yoda took out a wand and started using magic, or if Harry Potter pulled out a lightsaber and started waving his fingers around using the force, there would be legitimate backlash, because internal consistency is very important to all decent games. The reality is that the way things “work” is very important, you can see this in literally anything that involves “magic” of any kind; the second they violate this rule things start sucking (cough Naruto fillers cough).

This is why Necromancers won’t start using purple clones or shooting white lasers of healing, and why Warriors won’t start farting magic rainbows from a staff. Yes there are grey zones that are debatable, like exactly what weapons can and cannot by used by X profession, but there are things that just aren’t allowed because they are not consistent.

My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Sarrs.4831

The rule of cool

Rule of cool is no justification for anything.

You wanna know what’s really cool? An internally consistent universe!

Nalhadia – Kaineng

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Agreed.

Actually …..yes:

“Now let’s talk about the specifics Colin and I chatted about during our call.//What’s more is that the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons." http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

Its very easy to notice on upscaled models based on its attachment point (aka its a on enemy effect like scepter and axe) or by wildly flailing with the dagger and not getting the effect (while for examine warrior swords mesmer swords or thief dagger always keep their hit effects on no hit attacks since they are actually on he weapon model.

What’s to keep them from doing the same with a sword? Slashing out with a sword and hitting them at close range with necro magic?

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

In lore? Maybe nothing. In magic? Weapons can be enchanted, hexed, cursed etc but other than that magical tools involve athames, candles, focii etc. Athames, or ceremonial blades can NEVER be used to actually cut anything. It would ruin the athame, much like ele daggers, necro axe, or mesmer greatsword.

Honestly I have no idea what current weapon could possibly work as a 2h power weapon for a necromancer I mean i could see them with a land trident or a scythe, but anything else would require a vast amount of looking the other way and pretending its not completely ridiculous.

There is no hard class lore in GW2 like there is in other games. What you’re doing is arbitrarily applying other game rules into gw2. if there’s no lore reason then there is nothing to say that it doesn’t fit the class. Other games necro doesn’t fit with certain weapons because there is actual lore reason behind it. What you decide fits your necro isn’t the same for all playable necros. By saying that there is no lore reason but it just doesn’t fir a necro is putting the cart before the horse. It’s arbitrary game dogma that has no rhyme or reason when applied to GW2.

“There are as many individual ways to tap into that magic as there are people in Tyria. Some follow the methods taught to them by mentors or teachers. Others devise their own special style and relationship with magic.” http://esprits-dorr.fr/node/261

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

What’s to keep them from doing the same with a sword? Slashing out with a sword and hitting them at close range with necro magic?

A) dont quote a site which said magic find works on champ boxes and that guild missions are independent from eachother

B) Yes it would work on bladed melee weapons as said above, it could be excused on hammers more than maces because of impact effects, then kinda on rifle and pistols, but bows would really need heavy loophole abuse for them to be put on necro.

There is no hard class lore in GW2 like there is in other games. What you’re doing is arbitrarily applying other game rules into gw2. if there’s no lore reason then there is nothing to say that it doesn’t fit the class. Other games necro doesn’t fit with certain weapons because there is actual lore reason behind it. What you decide fits your necro isn’t the same for all playable necros. By saying that there is no lore reason but it just doesn’t fir a necro is putting the cart before the horse. It’s arbitrary game dogma that has no rhyme or reason when applied to GW2.

“There are as many individual ways to tap into that magic as there are people in Tyria. Some follow the methods taught to them by mentors or teachers. Others devise their own special style and relationship with magic.” http://esprits-dorr.fr/node/261

ACTUALLY NO, necromancers unlike engies or eles, were designed and created by the arts of the human gods, all other necros in game which arent new races/races which worked with the gods like the forgotten and got their powers from em, were demons/shadow beasts from the underworld.
They got clear cut rules (same as ritualists and dervishes, second one now no longer possible to exist) which are set up by lore, examples:

Sentient and powerful enough minions require blood upkeep, tho mindless ones/not nearly as strong can be kept up without any real problems.

Wells and Symbols (Marks in GW2) require either power from a fresh corpse, from the underworld or from the casters blood.

Turning lich requires you to set up a phylactery, turning part undead.

Using Death shroud and manipulation of the spectral arts, while allowing a easier to abuse connection to the underworld, keeps a part of you in it.

While actual worship of Grenth is not required, a connection and affinity to the mists (and more importantly, the underworld) is, races (like the asura) with a weaker connection preform worse at their max potential than others (tho said asura make up for it, with tech aka golemancy; oola being the to date still best golemancer was for example the only necro asura influencing the storyline).

Objects used during combat must be able to physically channel a connection, non-magical projectiles dont work.

Necromancer magic disrupts/ignores deceptions/the UW and grenth dont like liars (nor did Dhuum before him).

P.S. Ways of learning magic being different =/= each person has their own rules of it
Its like saying Person x learned from a game that 2 × 2 + 2 is 6, but if person y sees it in a book he can say that 2 + 2 × 2 is 8… it doesnt work that way.

Edit: formatting doesnt undestand what + is…

(edited by Andele.1306)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Basically, its not that Necros can’t use any weapon, but the weapons become more and more trivial to the actual effects they are causing. This is basically true of all the caster classes, they can just use magic with the “weapon” as the casting of that magic, but at what point does the weapon itself become completely meaningless except as “thing I can cast magic with”.

For example you could use a mace to cast magic, but is there anything actually special about what the mace is doing that, say, a spoon or a candy wrapper couldn’t do in its place? Bows are even more in this, because you can only have so many things that shoot arrows before you hit “necros shoot spooky ghost arrows because we’ve got 12 other bow weapon sets and thats the only thing left and its like 2am and I want to go home”.

That said, people who use magic are really able to do whatever the hell they want because ANet can just create a set of spells that very, very loosely extend from the physical object (as far as GW is concerned), and people would be happy (ex: ele dagger).

My PvP Minion Build

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

A) dont quote a site which said magic find works on champ boxes and that guild missions are independent from eachother

B) Yes it would work on bladed melee weapons as said above, it could be excused on hammers more than maces because of impact effects, then kinda on rifle and pistols, but bows would really need heavy loophole abuse for them to be put on necro.

A) I’ll quote any site that the devs see fit to give interviews to since we are discussing information from the devs rather than the interviewees complete grasp of every aspect of the game.

B) What loophole? How would a magic projectile from a bow be any different than a magic projectile from an axe or a staff?

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Basically, its not that Necros can’t use any weapon, but the weapons become more and more trivial to the actual effects they are causing. This is basically true of all the caster classes, they can just use magic with the “weapon” as the casting of that magic, but at what point does the weapon itself become completely meaningless except as “thing I can cast magic with”.

For example you could use a mace to cast magic, but is there anything actually special about what the mace is doing that, say, a spoon or a candy wrapper couldn’t do in its place? Bows are even more in this, because you can only have so many things that shoot arrows before you hit “necros shoot spooky ghost arrows because we’ve got 12 other bow weapon sets and thats the only thing left and its like 2am and I want to go home”.

That said, people who use magic are really able to do whatever the hell they want because ANet can just create a set of spells that very, very loosely extend from the physical object (as far as GW is concerned), and people would be happy (ex: ele dagger).

We already crossed that point when a-net said that the weapons are used as a focus to cast the spells. But it may be that the difference in what is used as a focus is that the foci channel the magic in different ways. That would explain why the same foci allow the same spells to be cast.

“if a person were to stretch too far, say by using an item she’s unfamiliar with or attempting a spell more powerful than what she’s used to, then that person is taking a risk. An uncontrolled spell can do terrible damage. For this reason, most intelligent magic-users stretch carefully into spells and magical items they don’t understand.” http://esprits-dorr.fr/node/261

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

I think we’re getting a little off topic…

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

A) I’ll quote any site that the devs see fit to give interviews to since we are discussing information from the devs rather than the interviewees complete grasp of every aspect of the game.

B) What loophole? How would a magic projectile from a bow be any different than a magic projectile from an axe or a staff?

a) Chinese whispers (as in no they dont get dev interviews but kitten they got told others got told by people who got told by a-net), same thing applies to anything Amccoy is in terms of lore

b) Bows dont shoot magic projectiles, they shoot arrows, same as guns using bullets (even in the mesmers case), in both staff, dagger and axe you create the effect and channel it past, doing such on a bow on rifle would not only be functionless (since it has no innate magic powers like a staff and scepter do), nor is it a proper focusing/shaping tool for attacks like ceremonial daggers or axes are.
WH5 is the closest thing we do to a physical attack using demonic insects from the stygian pits of hell so to say.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Lorelei.3918

ACTUALLY NO, necromancers unlike engies or eles, were designed and created by the arts of the human gods, all other necros in game which arent new races/races which worked with the gods like the forgotten and got their powers from em, were demons/shadow beasts from the underworld.
They got clear cut rules (same as ritualists and dervishes, second one now no longer possible to exist) which are set up by lore, examples:

Sentient and powerful enough minions require blood upkeep, tho mindless ones/not nearly as strong can be kept up without any real problems.

Wells and Symbols (Marks in GW2) require either power from a fresh corpse, from the underworld or from the casters blood.

Turning lich requires you to set up a phylactery, turning part undead.

Using Death shroud and manipulation of the spectral arts, while allowing a easier to abuse connection to the underworld, keeps a part of you in it.

While actual worship of Grenth is not required, a connection and affinity to the mists (and more importantly, the underworld) is, races (like the asura) with a weaker connection preform worse at their max potential than others (tho said asura make up for it, with tech aka golemancy; oola being the to date still best golemancer was for example the only necro asura influencing the storyline).

Objects used during combat must be able to physically channel a connection, non-magical projectiles dont work.

Necromancer magic disrupts/ignores deceptions/the UW and grenth dont like liars (nor did Dhuum before him).

P.S. Ways of learning magic being different =/= each person has their own rules of it
Its like saying Person x learned from a game that 2×22 is 6, but if person y sees it in a book he can say that 22×2 is 8… it doesnt work that way.

The rule of cool

Rule of cool is no justification for anything.

You wanna know what’s really cool? An internally consistent universe!

Interestingly enough, most of the stuff Andele just rattled off isn’t applicable in GW2.

Marks, wells, ect require nothing to cast except a CD timer.

Using Spectral spells doesn’t seal off part of your soul. You can spam these skills forever. If your soul is somehow involved it is neither implied nor relevant to the game itself.

You don’t have to bother setting up a phylactery in game to go into lich form. (And in the greater lore of necromancy – once you go lich, you Don’t go back.)

There is no variation between Human and Asura Necromancy. Neither race is stronger or weaker at any part of it and there is no variation in how the spells or cast or set up.

And lastly, and Oh I wish it were true…our magic is farrrr from ignoring/disrupting ‘deceptions’ (aka Mesmers). If anything our lack of consistent aoe and gap closers makes fighting mesmers harder for us then other classes.

So….yeah….that whole consistency thing has already been thrown out the window imo.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Isnt staff 1200 range?

Its not just not a pure power weapon, it only has one pure-direct damage attack, and one that scales decent with power. Scepter deals better direct damage, but it isn’t a power weapon. Staff is a condi utility weapon that is only in non-condi builds because we have no other good option. If we had a different option to use at higher than melee range for power builds staff would see a huge drop in play.

Yes, you are right, but thats not what i meant.
What i mean is that between staff aa (if it was more reliable), lifeblasts and Lichform we have enough 1200 range options for power builds, given the fact that necros seems to be more of a mid range type profession. If now dark path (and spectral grasp) would be more reliable at long range, we would be fine with the 1200 range options we have (well atleast in my opinion).

Because of that i would rather see some useful aoe power weapons maybe even with 900 range or so.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

a) Chinese whispers (as in no they dont get dev interviews but kitten they got told others got told by people who got told by a-net), same thing applies to anything Amccoy is in terms of lore

b) Bows dont shoot magic projectiles, they shoot arrows, same as guns using bullets (even in the mesmers case), in both staff, dagger and axe you create the effect and channel it past, doing such on a bow on rifle would not only be functionless (since it has no innate magic powers like a staff and scepter do), nor is it a proper focusing/shaping tool for attacks like ceremonial daggers or axes are.
WH5 is the closest thing we do to a physical attack using demonic insects from the stygian pits of hell so to say.

A) “Now let’s talk about the specifics Colin and I chatted about during our call.”

B) Source for “lol inate magic power of scepter and staff” please. You’ll have a source unless you are making this all up on the spot. Source for “properfocusing tools”. Without a source for the inate-ness of magic in staves, your argument falls flat. Bows inately shoot arrows and not magic while staves inatelyshoot …..nothing. So unless you can show that a staff has inate magic, there is absolutely no actual lore reason that a bow can’t shoot magic while a staff/axe can.

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Argueing about lore is silly. Just buff staff direct damage and our ranged power weapon problem is sorted. What we need is a melee cleave weapon (sword or greatsword please).

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Interestingly enough, most of the stuff Andele just rattled off isn’t applicable in GW2.

Using Spectral spells doesn’t seal off part of your soul. You can spam these skills forever. If your soul is somehow involved it is neither implied nor relevant to the game itself.

You don’t have to bother setting up a phylactery in game to go into lich form. (And in the greater lore of necromancy – once you go lich, you Don’t go back.)

There is no variation between Human and Asura Necromancy. Neither race is stronger or weaker at any part of it and there is no variation in how the spells or cast or set up.

And lastly, and Oh I wish it were true…our magic is farrrr from ignoring/disrupting ‘deceptions’ (aka Mesmers). If anything our lack of consistent aoe and gap closers makes fighting mesmers harder for us then other classes.

So….yeah….that whole consistency thing has already been thrown out the window imo.

yep. Recent interview contradicts Andele at multiple turns.

Esprits d’Orr : “How should we consider the cast of a spell according to the lore (and not from gameplay perspective) : Is it an incantation? Does it necessarily require a weapon to cast it? How is energy managed compared to GW1? Does casting a spell consume magical energy, or is it possible to cast as much as you want without any tiredness or decrease in effectiveness?”

Angel McCoy : “Magic is the lifeblood of Tyria. The entire world is infused with it, and it flows through everything via ley lines that criss-cross the planet.// The citizens of Tyria have ready access to this flow of magic from a very young age.”

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

Technically, no. its all true:

We are undead via Lich form, thus can ignore (just like Palava Joko and Khilbron) part of the cost required to cast our skills, a phylactery is made once, thus showing you clearly didnt listen to your D&D nor GW1 lore about undeath. Also both of the mentioned great liches showed off their transformations at least once before (twice in Jokos case thanks to bonus packs) returning to their casual form right after (tho they werent locked off their utilities/spells in said modes which is G&SS).

Since we already are users of DS, we got no more past to lose, thus spamming spectrals works without negative effects, tho if for example the underworld collapsed into another world, all necros would experience the same thing as all the mobs in TMNR did, getting ripped trough the mists into another location.

We still require corpses for sentient minions, both Aria Venom and freaking Saladbolg show it off, our minions however use as described by the website: Remains of flesh and bone, which we probably carry around in the hammerspace bags just as warriors carry 1000000000 22 caliber rounds and engies 4 tins of led balls for their blunderbuss spam.

Asura as mentioned make up their kittenty magical abilities with technology (and their kittenty tech with magic), thus why they can compete with both charr and human in respective fields, thus making em balanced in terms of gameplay.

Also WoS/WoC/MoB/MoE/Chillblains/RM/PM/Life Transfer/Tshackles, if you cant butcher a phantasam mesmer with those, its just L2P.

TLDR: try poke holes in lore that you dont understand and just as now, get the kittenslap you deserve

Dustfinger.9510 again little kitten, if you take lore, take it from the people which actually wrote it and didnt spit on it, aka from Ree, Will McDermott, Annie (and kinda John Stumme for the punny stuff).
Also magic being a free resorce to use just means there are no energy costs, sacrifice (self bleeding from corruptions) or resource buildup (cast time on minions) still exist and are mandatory.

(edited by Andele.1306)

1200 range POWER weapon.

in Necromancer

Dustfinger.9510

Asura as mentioned make up their kittenty magical abilities with technology (and their kittenty tech with magic), thus why they can compete with both charr and human in respective fields, thus making em balanced in terms of gameplay.

Source?

Dustfinger.9510 again little kitten, if you take lore, take it from the people which actually wrote it and didnt spit on it, aka from Ree, Will McDermott, Annie (and kinda John Stumme for the punny stuff).
Also magic being a free resorce to use just means there are no energy costs, sacrifice (self bleeding from corruptions) or resource buildup (cast time on minions) still exist and are mandatory.

Still no sources, huh? Gotcha.