A 'no condition' build for PvE?

in Necromancer

Posted by: getzzzonked.7609

getzzzonked.7609

As a start, I am a casual player who hasn’t seen all te PvE content the game has to offer yet, I’m just looking for some advice or information.

I was in Sorrows Embrace last night with a PuG, and rolling with what I see as a good all round build with Scepter/Dagger and Staff, and when we reached the last boss we got stuck on the second Golem he summons. It purges condition to heal, which mean’t as I currently was I had very few attacks I could use without applying conditions.
The group fell to pieces after a few attempts and I went to bed. But I would obviously like to go back and do it again, so I’m just wondering if anyone else has encountered anything similar to this and has come up with a build or good strategy for a fight like this.

All thoughts are welcome (:

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
[EXE] Piken Square EU

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brother Simba.9842

Brother Simba.9842

Did this dungeon tonight. We just focused on dealing as few conditions as possible (if that made a difference) and a lot of burning/condition removal to keep us alive longer (hopefully I’m not mixing 2 different golems together). We died a few times, but always had 1-2 players at him to keep him from fully regenerating. Got him killed eventually. Definitely made the dungeon a lot more difficult than it was up to that point and even afterwards.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zaganna.6034

Zaganna.6034

Staff and axe are a good choise. You have of course to switch to a power or precisoon build, or DS.
I’m running with a Staff/DS build, so applyn no condition wasn’t that hard.

skill-1 Staff does few damage..but raise life force. You can still use skill 4 (no condition, only damage) and 5 (he’s immune to fear, and it will last only a few sec). You should try avoiding condition like poison or vulnerability (which stacks in duration).
Also i still used the utility skill Blood is power. Yes, i give bleedind, but just 2 stack and i get +20% life force for going in DS more offen.

in Necromancer

Posted by: mangocheesecake.1487

mangocheesecake.1487

If you want to do events and stuff and always get gold, bring aoes.

So that would be scepter/dagger + axe/focus/warhorn + 3 wells (2 to do dmg and 1 to keep them chilled<-trait)

Spec for precision in traits and power with armor stats

Terrifying Kitties | SBI | Recruiting Active Players for WvW and PvE
PM Carme, Soji, Taper, or Mrsowrd in game

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

A power and healing power set would theoretically work in a staff + axe/focus build with wells.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arvid.3829

Arvid.3829

I did this dungeon yesterday and that golem is just an exceptionally tough opponent (and to spoil it for you: that wasn’t the last boss, allthough it was the hardest encounter :P)

Let me get this out of the way first: why are you all suggesting axe and staff? Axe stacks vulnerability and, unless you only use staff’s autoattack, staff dumps more conditions on your target than scepter does… So the only ‘viable’ weapon would be the dagger, which is hardly viable either given you probably run a condition damage build (and completely changing your build for 1 opponent seems kind of off to me).

The good news though is that I don’t really think your conditions are a problem here: we didn’t avoid conditions and I have never noticed hom healing… So if he indeed heals, it’s a rather minor effect and only extends the fight a little. Problem for us though was the crazy amount of damage trough burning this guy does. Imo the trick here is to all stay rather close from him. As far as I could tell, he picks a target and chooses an attack based on your range to him. His ranged attack shoots projectiles to everyone in your group that are hard to dodge (some classes have anti-projectile skills that could help here) and also burn the ground they land on, he also seemed quickly able to repeat this attack. His close ranged attack though looks spectacular (and I wouldn’t stay in it) but is much easier to dodge/avoid and seems to be on a longer cooldown. Also try to fight him away from the asura as that little guy shoots at you if you come to close. You can probably help out your team here with condition removal, of which we have quite a few options.

in Necromancer

Posted by: The Boz.2038

The Boz.2038

Staff for the fear and regen and life force building and combo finishing and ally condition removal and chill.

in Necromancer

getzzzonked.7609

Thank you all for the advice. Went along with what Arvid suggested in the end and went all out, ignoring the fact that he heals from conditions. It went smooth as, well, for me at least. ‘PuG why u no dodge?!’ comes to mind.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
[EXE] Piken Square EU

in Necromancer

Posted by: Devilsmack.5736

Devilsmack.5736

Thank you all for the advice. Went along with what Arvid suggested in the end and went all out, ignoring the fact that he heals from conditions. It went smooth as, well, for me at least. ‘PuG why u no dodge?!’ comes to mind.

Should have read his advice a lil sooner. We did not wipe, but I died a few times due to his incredibly-OP burning abilities.

Burning lasts for-freaking-ever

Alanna Grisel (M) / Devilsmack (N)
Kildemort (W) / Killer Claws (G)
Deadly God (En) – Fort Aspenwood

in Necromancer

getzzzonked.7609

Should have read his advice a lil sooner. We did not wipe, but I died a few times due to his incredibly-OP burning abilities.

Burning lasts for-freaking-ever

It really does. Very careful use of Consume Conditions is needed. And we had a Guardian throwing down all sorts of blue kitten too, which I’m sure helped. (I don’t play a Guardian :P)

[EXE] Piken Square EU