Am I doing it wrong?

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aeniklast.9283

Aeniklast.9283

So I probably only have a solid month of play time on HoT expansion and I’m just starting to get back into the groove of things. My main focus has always been WvW, but I haven’t yet found a group to run with, and I’ve been doing a lot of PvE trying to catch up on gearing.

Currently, I’m running a power build for PvE. However, I’m getting into the higher level fractals and I’m looking to start raiding (still doing open world stuff on the side) and I can’t help but feel like my DPS is in the toilet.

I’m running the chillromancer for WvW when I do play and I can’t help but feel completely useless lol

So my question is, am I doing this wrong? prehot I always ran power pve and condi wvw builds. Seems like it might have swap itself around now?

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: hiems.8769

hiems.8769

So I probably only have a solid month of play time on HoT expansion and I’m just starting to get back into the groove of things. My main focus has always been WvW, but I haven’t yet found a group to run with, and I’ve been doing a lot of PvE trying to catch up on gearing.

Currently, I’m running a power build for PvE. However, I’m getting into the higher level fractals and I’m looking to start raiding (still doing open world stuff on the side) and I can’t help but feel like my DPS is in the toilet.

I’m running the chillromancer for WvW when I do play and I can’t help but feel completely useless lol

So my question is, am I doing this wrong? prehot I always ran power pve and condi wvw builds. Seems like it might have swap itself around now?

I’m not really into PvE, but from what I know about it, corruption is better. But (again) on raids there are classes that will easily outdmg a necro, so… On PvE I just can’t see any problem with not using the most dmg class (ofc you don’t want to use a really weird useless build), you’re just hitting a sponge that eats your dps anyway. Find a group, make friends and it doesn’t really matter.

For WvW I think that condi is better for zergs, but power is better for roamers.

Just my 2 cents. If you asked about sPvP I could talk a little bit more.

(edited by hiems.8769)

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

About PvE more or less every class can do seriously better damage than a necromancer (both in condi, power and hybrid builds), expecially in endgame. And if they don’t, they can grant better things (like spam quickness and alacrity as the mesmer do).
Before HoT if a necro joined a random party he was insta-kicked out because totally useless. After 3 years of kick in the back we finally obtained something with the Reaper and Raids, that granted to our a-little-better damage and expecially to our boon corruption a sort of place in the party. Expecially for the epidemic+lich form build, but still there was space for 1-2 necromancer,s no more.
Actually the lich is no more useful in raids because you can’t use it to spam minions and epidemic is totally broken and frequently useless (and different boss reflect the projectile and send it back to you, killing you with all the conditions your team is able to spam).

In the current state of the game, in PvE we have the best survavibility but the lower damage and don’t grant anything to the party that any otehr class can do better. In sPvP we’re a meatshield able only to corrupt boons and die, we can’t win a 1v1 unless against an engi (and not always) and we can’t flee from a focus in any single way. in WvWvW we’re good with the old Power Well Zerg build and with some condition builds. But the nerf to Epidemic made our condition damage spam worst than ever, reducing the condi build power by a large amount. In roaming we’re the only class unable to obtain any kind of movement skill (Reaper Shroud 2 have an aftercast that if you don’t exit the shroud before the leap end make you waste your movement) or good defensive skill, with still lesser damage than any other class in this game. Few players are able to win a 1v1 using a necromancer but they’re so good that whatever they play they win.

I can only end telling you that all that have not to make you stop to play that class. It’s a beautiful class, the best class of GW2. A large amount of good skills, you can make an increadible amount of builds that work really good, play different roles and more.
If you want to play the necromancer you can do it and do really incredible things. You have just to know that this class never been the first class of this game in anything really useful and never will. but is the best class to play, both for the visual effects and the gameplay.
If you want to play this game easy with a class that grant you fun, the necromancer is your class.

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: GiggleFairy.3807

GiggleFairy.3807

from what i can tell, every necromancer is running a condition build for open world pve,raids, fractals, and dungeons. power builds are great but they wont do much at the end like a condi build will.

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

What gear are you using?

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Fortunately you can prove your dps is in the toilet by using a dps meter.

Fishsticks

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, the necromancer is the necromancer…

Direct dps ain’t is strong point because anet want it in a state where you outlast your opponent, not in a state where you crush your opponent like other profession (except mesmer which is in a state where you outplay your opponent)

Condi damage wise, the necromancer focus on stacking the low damage conditions of the game which often lead the necromancer to have a slow ramp up in damage making it difficult for him to freely burst with conditions in fight that are fast paced. Reaper slightly correct this issue but the fact that you are heavily dependant on your sole ice field to achieve this burst make this ability only really relevant in non organized wvw.

Survivability is an important aspect of the necromancer. We’ve got tons of traits that support this aspect. Our real issue here is more that we don’t have any other way to negate damages than blinding our foes. We are supposed to take damage in a game where negating damage is king. Worst part of this is that we just lost our last way to retaliate while taking those damages.

Support… Well, the devs choice for our support are somewhat painfull. They chose to focus on :
- soft conditions (that any other profession can max out without losing anything),
- highly nerfed siphons (because it does both damage and heal, it seem that this just can’t be strong),
- taking conditions from your allies (the best joke),
- preventing death from down allies (Not really the best mindset when you intend to slay a timed foe)
- corrupting boons (well you need boons to corrupt obviously)
Anyway, all of this support is minor to the point that it is not really sought out by any team in pve.

In the end, in pve, the worth of the necromancer lie in it’s resilience and it’s ability to survive while doing a medium amount of damage. The ideal role of the necromancer is probably a tanking role, however there is not really any room for tankers that only tank and can’t negate one hit KO mechanisms.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: GiggleFairy.3807

GiggleFairy.3807

What gear are you using?

my necromancer is using full Viper’s. I am in the process of turning my last 3 berserker items(gloves,boots, spear) into vipers ascended. my accessories are all exotic viper’s atm. weapons to use are Scepter/Dagger and Greatsword. for utilities Blood Fiend, Bone Fiend, Blood is Power, Optional, and Lich Form/Chilled to the Bone/ Golem. elite cooldowns are needing some heavy cooldown reductions cause 2-3minute cooldowns is insane.

Am I doing it wrong?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

What gear are you using?

my necromancer is using full Viper’s. I am in the process of turning my last 3 berserker items(gloves,boots, spear) into vipers ascended. my accessories are all exotic viper’s atm. weapons to use are Scepter/Dagger and Greatsword. for utilities Blood Fiend, Bone Fiend, Blood is Power, Optional, and Lich Form/Chilled to the Bone/ Golem. elite cooldowns are needing some heavy cooldown reductions cause 2-3minute cooldowns is insane.

Are you the op?

I suppose that would be fine for pve but for WvW i wouldnt run something like that. Trailblazer is really strong for our condi builds in WvW.