An idea for Well Of Darkness

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Well Of Darkness still needs a hugely reduced cooldown and/or additional effects.

I appreciate that they tried to buff it not long ago by reducing the cooldown, but it’s just such an insignificant well, even when traited, that a few seconds don’t make enough of a difference.

I had an idea for a way to rework it but I could bet money it would be brokenly OP.

Anyway, my idea was; Reduce the duration to 3 seconds, remove the Blindness and combo field, revert the cooldown, leave cast time and radius as they currently are and change the functionality to behave like NPC Smokescale’s Smoke Cloud.

When we are standing inside the Well Of Darkness, all attacks miss us for the duration. Which means Necromancer now has an Invulnerability as long as it is standing inside the well.

Probably not the best idea but if you have some of your own, please share. This well is decent in WvW zerging but outside of that, it’s just such a boring and unrewarding skill. I would really like to see something done with it but this was the best idea I could come up with.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

WoW that would make it actually really good. I like it.

Though the combo field should probably stay since all wells (mesmer and necro) are combo fields. It would be strange to be the only well without it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

If it had a damage value from the start, similar to well of corruption, people wouldn’t feel the need to suggest new ideas for it all the time. Sadly Anet never sees this.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

If it had a damage value from the start, similar to well of corruption, people wouldn’t feel the need to suggest new ideas for it all the time. Sadly Anet never sees this.

While giving it damage would certainly make it more useful, i dont think Anet will do this, because they clearly wanted it to be a defensive skill aka it would defeat is purpose (everyone would just use it for well bombing).

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

While giving it damage would certainly make it more useful, i dont think Anet will do this, because they clearly wanted it to be a defensive skill aka it would defeat is purpose (everyone would just use it for well bombing).

Because thematics are more important than actually being useful. My poor baby just wants to be loved and put on a skill bar for once.

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Because thematics are more important than actually being useful. My poor baby just wants to be loved and put on a skill bar for once.

Well theoretically you can make well of darkness useful without giving it more offensive power, they just need to do something (more then shaving the cd by 5 sec every year). But hoesntly i wouldnt be suprised if Anet thought that well of darkness is already a strong skill.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Well theoretically you can make well of darkness useful without giving it more offensive power, they just need to do something (more then shaving the cd by 5 sec every year). But hoesntly i wouldnt be suprised if Anet thought that well of darkness is already a strong skill.

Well considering they nerfed Chilling Darkness because of its zerg use in WvW, I think you are hit the nail on the head. Sadly that was the only time it had any real use in the more meta side of the game.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Well considering they nerfed Chilling Darkness because of its zerg use in WvW, I think you are hit the nail on the head. Sadly that was the only time it had any real use in the more meta side of the game.

Didn’t they nerf it for the reaper skills nightfall and death charge?

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Nope the nerf came before Hot. Well of course they already knew about reaper when they nerfed the trait but ultimatively they never said why they exactly nerfed it so it is all speculation, though WoD is the most likely reason.

I also dont think the old chilling darkness would be that strong with nightfall or death charge (here the new one is actually better since the icd donest matter anyways).

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

It was nerfed soon after they revamped traits. Well of Darkness combined really well with Chilling Darkness and Bitter Chill (newly added trait) allowing you to stack chill blind and vuln from Well of Darkness alone. This was seen as overpowered in WvW zerg fights and thus they gave Chilling Darkness kitten icd.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

A smoke field would allow someone to blast it for AoE stealth, too. That would at least break target lock. like it.

Restoring Chilling Darkness to pre-nerf would also help.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

Restoring Chilling Darkness would make Greatsword a viable hybrid weapon with a nice condi burst. It would bring variability to our condi weapons and open up some new builds.

In other words, its not going to happen.