Axe / Focus MM - One of the Best [PVE]

in Necromancer

Posted by: xaviercham.4873

xaviercham.4873

Of all the builds I’ve tried, the one I’ve always fallen back on when the going gets tough is Axe/Focus MM(AFMM). As long as you pick all top 3 traits for Death Magic, and all siphon skills for Blood Magic, the rest is flexible. You can find a link to the build below.

For the longest time I’ve heard a great deal of criticism about axe builds, and in theory, many are valid. Yet, in practical, a/f mm is one of the best builds I’ve ever played.

DPS

With axe/focus mm(afmm) build, my minions and I never stop our rotations, ever. While reaper necros need to dodge a cleave or swing from a boss, I don’t. Condi necros can still do damage even while running, but in actual fact they are losing exactly the same amount of damage as a power build, because the time they spend not refreshing their conditions translate to the same damage lost. Against a dummy golem and with no buffs, I do 5k dps. Sounds pathetic compared to viper and reaper, yet who does more damage in reality? In the best case scenario, the whole team stays alive throughout the fight, but all the dodging and disengagement severely curbs their damage by at least 30%. In the worst case scenario, everyone dies except the afmm necro, who solos the boss from 25% to 0%, making it abundantly clear who does the most damage.

The biggest downside to afmm, is the lack of much aoe skills. You will be severely out-dpsed by others. However in my experience, trash mobs die so quickly that difference between using afmm or not, is a matter of 1-2 seconds. You will find the pain of not having aoe the highest when soloing in open world. Even then, you have skill 3, 5, two minion explosions, and dagger as 2nd weapon, so that pretty much takes care of things.

RESILIENCE

Afmm is incredibly tough. Firstly, using scholar runes, I’m constantly utilising the 10% damage bonus because my heath is always above 90%. A combination of blood magic and 5 minions gives about 1k hp/sec. Secondly, minions often hold aggro, so I’m hardly attacked. Thirdly, a good range of 900. Fourthly, unlike reaper builds, which constantly use their shroud as part of their rotation, my life force is always maxed and never used except for cc. This gives me a huge second-life-bar-on-demand in case of emergencies. As an example, I solo-ed Chak Crusher boss mastery as afmm. I highly doubt I could’ve done as easily with any other build (or, I suspect, even any other class).

CROWD CONTROL

Afmm has good hard cc, comparable to other necro builds. Warhorn 4 and Flesh golem’s charge is capable to taking out a full breakbar. Even if that is not enough, you have shroud skill 2 and 5. If that still isn’t enough, you have soft cc from shadow fiend and bone fiend. I’ve been in fractal groups where I’m virtually doing most of the cc.

QUALITY OF LIFE

You can solo champion/elite mobs while texting a friend, as your minions tank the mobs for you. Just auto-attack with skill 1. Secondly, there’s hardly any button mashing, you only need to press skill 2 (1 auto-attack). Thirdly, you can afk in most spots, because your minions will protect you. Fourthly, no need to switch traits/weapons for different scenarios. Fifthly, quickening thirst with dagger as 2nd weapon gives a permanent +25% movement speed, which is convenient.

DOWNSIDES

If you’re raiding, afmm will not be suitable, because you will be in a controlled environment, where individual roles are more clearly defined. And in that case, as necro you are meant to be a damage class. In that respect, viper condi build will be preferred. If you’re rank pvp-ing, you will be better off using dagger or greatsword. This build still does ok for unranked pvp because your minions can look very intimidating to amateurs, and amateurs do focus attack your minions by mistake very often. Additionally, you have all the snares you need (ie. knockback, blind, immobilise, daze) and a cheap burst from skill 2, which amateurs won’t know how to counter.

In conclusion

I’ve found other builds to be much better in killing mobs due to their higher damage and aoe, but when the going gets tough, afmm has always solved the problem. When I evaluate a build, I don’t just look at damage, but I also take into account consistency, reliability, convenience, and survivability. And in that regard, I still feel afmm is the best necro build out there for pve due to having the best balance and versatility. I have never died as an afmm before except one time where I fell off a cliff and didn’t activate my glider in time.

Please find the link to my build below:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBHhhG2IDN0Ujd1gbNwejjaBBmIws5ypRl/C2D-TZBBwAAeAAY3fgxRAIwJBocZAA

Please feel free to share your opinions, I’m open to hearing your suggestions and feedback.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sephylon.4938

Sephylon.4938

if this build is meant for pve, why are you using the pvp tab in the build editor?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

To not select 16 times berserker stats, I guess.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

You’ve put a lot of work into this post but, to be 100% honest with you… It’s not a good build. It’s a C-tier build for Core-only players, at best. The absolute best thing I can say about it is that it’s a fairly mindless, low-effort leveling build. I say that as someone who actually played this build back before HoT, quite a bit.

If you were to use Scepter and Curses instead of Axe and Spite, with appropriate stat changes, I might say it were a better build- Because it is a better build; it’s Viper’s Horror. Scepter trait is insanely powerful, and Scepter range is the same as Axe.

If you used Reaper & Greatsword instead of Dagger, and melee’d when you could, you’d be doing far better damage. Blighter’s Boon gives you a monstrous amount of survivability especially when you combo it with Spite. You’d also be able to take Rise, which is the best skill you have for raw survivability as an MM necro.

So why use this build over other options with that in mind?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Necromancer

Posted by: Matt Stacey.7415

Matt Stacey.7415

Axe/Focus has awful cleave, I would not recommend it for PVE

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Axe was designed for MM so I will not quibble. I find it a situational replacement for staff and it works well for solo roaming.

You might consider trading focus for dagger with those traits.

Regarding your traits, replace Death Nova with Corrupter’s Fever. Replace Spiteful Talisman with Bitter Chill and Vampiric Presence with Life from Death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

I’m using Greatsword as my main weapon.

I have Axe and Focus as my alt weapons for ranged damage. I’m using Valkyrie build so when I solo I need that extra vulnerability and quick Ghastly Claws for damage. Other than that, Axe is mediocre weapon.