Balanced Power damage for PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

It seems to me that we still have some major imbalance issues that are leaving certain power classes so unviable that they are often rejected from raids and fractal groups. One of those is power warrior relative to its condition counter part, but the following concerns the Reaper.

The necro does not currently add anything significant to the party that makes it particularly useful. In some ways, it was attempted to create viability through boon removal, a light leeching buff, might sharing, and the ability to heal on shroud 4, however they are so ineffective compared to other class offerings that they are still rejected. Heals from druids overshadow shroud 4 by a long shot, PS warriors brings 25 permanent stacks of might, boons are rarely a problem, and the leeching has almost no impact on team DPS nor the team’s sustainability.

While that’s a problem on it’s own, I want to draw attention to what happens when we drop all those in favor of a pure DPS build. A Reaper fully built to deal damage simply doesn’t measure up. It’s not even close to the now crippled power tempest, and doesn’t even do half the damage of a class that provides blocks, might, fury, permanent protection, and heals to the party (DH).

I want to offer a simple suggestion that may help the class tremendously in terms of permitting a glass cannon type of build:

“Death Perception” is a trait in the Soul Reaping line that adds 50% critical rate while in shroud. Coupled use with Decimate Defenses in the Reaper line, the combination provides a 100% critcal rate, on top of fury and other sources of precision. I’d say the trait over-performs its role and can be modified to create something that does more damage without such a heavy emphasis on promoting Valkyrie builds.

The suggestion is to replace its mechanics with something like this:

Gain 100 Ferocity for every 25% of life force you have. The affect is doubled while in shroud.

That means 300 ferocity at 80% life force, 400 at 100%. When entering shroud, this will most often mean 600 ferocity because 800 will be impossible to maintain. This should push DPS number up near that of the current power tempest so long as they are traited for Decimate Defenses. I feel that this will also most likely represent little change in DPS in the PvP scenario where players are limited to 60%ish crit chance. That is of course unless they are also running Decimate and manage to keep vulnerability on target.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

That would make viper stats totally broken… no thanks!

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Demoria.6745

Demoria.6745

Decimate Defenses: add 1% damage modifier per stack.
Cold Shoulder: Instead of 10% damage reduced gain 10% increased damage to chilled foes.
Split to PvE only.
Done.

Edit: This would only add 2k dps to the current condi reaper before you go there.

(edited by Demoria.6745)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Decimate Defenses: add 1% damage modifier per stack.
Cold Shoulder: Instead of 10% damage reduced gain 10% increased damage to chilled foes.
Split to PvE only.
Done.

Edit: This would only add 2k dps to the current condi reaper before you go there.

That, and the power coefficients to greatsword and reaper shroud should be increased substantially.

in Necromancer

SneakyTouchy.6043

Can you explain? You would still have 100% crit chance so I don’t see how another 50% in shroud would help. If anything it would up their already low performance, if they even decided to take that line in the first place.

in Necromancer

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

1) As some1 said buffing the power scaling of your dmg skills u break viper reaper, that’s pretty much a no-no.

2) Most of the power dps classes do their damage through passive buffs and modifiers.Guard gets 250 ferocirty + 10% dmg while having retal. Tempest has too many modifiers as it is.Even power thief has these kinds of modifiret. Necro has strong modifiers as condi but nearly zero for power.

U would need some major overhaul to make reapeer a power dps class

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

1) As some1 said buffing the power scaling of your dmg skills u break viper reaper, that’s pretty much a no-no.

2) Most of the power dps classes do their damage through passive buffs and modifiers.Guard gets 250 ferocirty + 10% dmg while having retal. Tempest has too many modifiers as it is.Even power thief has these kinds of modifiret. Necro has strong modifiers as condi but nearly zero for power.

U would need some major overhaul to make reapeer a power dps class

Not really.

Close to death, soul reaping another % modifier, and then the proposed to reaper for cold shoulder.

Greatsword and reaper shroud have garbage numbers. The soul spiral, greatsword/reaper shroud auto and gravedigger need significant buffs.

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

Can you explain? You would still have 100% crit chance so I don’t see how another 50% in shroud would help. If anything it would up their already low performance, if they even decided to take that line in the first place.

Basically, what you do is adding high ferocity to a Power/condition/expertise/precision gear. Due exactly to the possibility to easily reach 100% crit chance, it just mean that you add long hard damaging conditions on top of an assassin gear. It’s like having both the damage of a sinister gear and assassin gear. That’s unbalanced/broken.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Not really.

Close to death, soul reaping another % modifier, and then the proposed to reaper for cold shoulder.

Greatsword and reaper shroud have garbage numbers. The soul spiral, greatsword/reaper shroud auto and gravedigger need significant buffs.

I don’t think the Greatsword auto damage should be increased more than it is. I haven’t really tested since the seaweed nerf but back then just using the greatsword auto alone was around 23k dps with realistic buffs. I’m not sure i want more damage frontloaded into the GS auto. It wouldn’t hurt to speed it up a bit though. I’d rather see Reaper Shroud get its power damage increased both on the auto and on the 5 and 4 skills. It just ain’t right that going shroud should be dps loss like it is for power builds.

And while we’re at it, Reaper’s Onslaught needs to be changed up a bit. Remove the 15% attack speed increase, it’s useless because it doesn’t stack with Quickness anyway. Then make the 225 Ferocity bonus a party wide effect like Empower Allies.

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

And while we’re at it, Reaper’s Onslaught needs to be changed up a bit. Remove the 15% attack speed increase, it’s useless because it doesn’t stack with Quickness anyway. Then make the 225 Ferocity bonus a party wide effect like Empower Allies.

That would help the reaper for sure but this “aura” effect have already been given to the revenant.

in Necromancer

SneakyTouchy.6043

Basically, what you do is adding high ferocity to a Power/condition/expertise/precision gear. Due exactly to the possibility to easily reach 100% crit chance, it just mean that you add long hard damaging conditions on top of an assassin gear. It’s like having both the damage of a sinister gear and assassin gear. That’s unbalanced/broken.

Well, I guess so, but it seems that the tankiness promoted by the choice of Valkyrie parts for power, specifically due to this overabundance of accuracy, have been playing too effective of an excuse to allow anything glassy to come out of power reaper. I would think the only way through that would be a change like this.

A lot of people have been saying there needs to be more done to other traits. If breaking down the Valkyrie wall causes Viper to overperform, then surely there are more things that can be done. I keep hearing rumors that things may happen to deathly chill.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

That would help the reaper for sure but this “aura” effect have already been given to the revenant.

gr8 then we can dual wield ferocity bonuses along with rev to give a party 30% crit dmg

i see no problems

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

gr8 then we can dual wield ferocity bonuses along with rev to give a party 30% crit dmg

i see no problems

We’d have to stay in shroud to get it though meaning it wouldn’t be permanent and we’d lose dps anyway.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

IMHO Aura and ferocity buff on underused traits (Soul Eater and Reaper’s Onslaught) it’s the safest way to increase dps while not breaking the game for PvP.

Our damage loss could be great or not depending on the aura effect, if it last for 9 seconds, refresh every 3 seconds like the others they can think about reduce by 30% Shroud’s CD on Relentless Pursuit or somehing~

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

The problem stems from the fact that they don’t ever balance with power in mind they always balance for a condi/power build in mind…. They need to rebalance stats as a whole and combine some.

Power+Condition damage = Offensive power
Vitality+Toughness = Defensive power
Healing+ Concentration= Supportive power
Ferocity+Expertise = Offensive intensity

This would require them to rebalance all of the stuff and make a bunch of gear sets redundant but really this is fixed simply by allowing the redundant sets a 1 time only “select stats” kinda like they did with the older item sets or simply by giving the sets different values of each.

I’ll give a example for 2 weapon types below with a stat allocation of 500 *this is just a example.

Berserker equivalent
350 offensive power
150 offensive intensity

valkyrie equivalent
200 offensive power
150 offensive intensity
150 defensive power

These are just examples and I’ll give more realistic numbers down lower.

This more simplified stat system wouldn’t only be limited to pve and wvw it would also make structured pvp a bit more accessable due to simplifying the stats for a bit more ease of understanding and balance….

Fewer stats = less tuning nobs = easier to balance…. The challenge would be the initial leap to rebalance the scaling numbers for everything as the base numbers would stay static for the most part… The only things I would really see changing are the base condition numbers and the power scaling for direct damage skills…. The healing scaling would stay roughly the same as supportive power doesn’t really change vs the current support setup besides having the boon duration baked in.

Stat allocation for gear could have a very simple 5000 budget spread across the gear.

1000 weapon
500 per ring
300 per accessory
250 backpack
450 head/Gloves/Boots
600 Chest/Legs
500 Shoulders

Anyway I’m sleepy now and heading to bed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It’d absolutely destroy the trait for anything except PvE. The attack speed is massively important in competitive modes because it affects all casts including the channels on skills 2/4/5 and buffs baseline might stacking/personal damage synergy with Spite and SR by cutting the animation on shroud AA just enough to mesh nicely with the ICDs of the other traits.

To be honest, if people want a better PvE reaper/necromancer, they should be making suggestions for more damage modifiers profession-wide and increased sustain in the BM line to make it not laughably bad overall.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Necromancer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

It’d absolutely destroy the trait for anything except PvE. The attack speed is massively important in competitive modes because it affects all casts including the channels on skills 2/4/5 and buffs baseline might stacking/personal damage synergy with Spite and SR by cutting the animation on shroud AA just enough to mesh nicely with the ICDs of the other traits.

To be honest, if people want a better PvE reaper/necromancer, they should be making suggestions for more damage modifiers profession-wide and increased sustain in the BM line to make it not laughably bad overall.

Blood magic is a kitten ed weird line any since it has no real way of proccing bleeds built in to it. A traitline dedicated to blood magic that doesn’t actually enhance bleed? This seems pretty absurd.

Curses seems to be the defacto condi line providing damage/ sustain to scourge with some use on Reaper since Reaper puts out chills and bleeds. I can’t help but think that BM should have extra bleeds through a trait to work better with core and reaper but also be of some use to scourge.

BM traits should be enhanced against bleeding foes, increasing power damage output on life steal traits and competing traits in their lines. Lesser signet of vampirism kind of does this but is far too weak and on too long an ICD. Turning BM into a sustain / support but mainly power enhancing line would seem a good idea to me.