Best build for open world pve stuff?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Orpheus.7891

Orpheus.7891

So I just boosted my Necro to 80 and I’m kind of at a loss for the best way to do open world stuff. It seems I am stuck with the Scepter / Dagger and Staff but I’m willing to buy the weapons I need.

Is there also a video that goes into great detail about Necro’s and how to DPS?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I’m not super familiar with the necromancer, but I’ve been getting more curious myself. I know when I get started I plan on making use of reaper’s onslaught. (in the reaper line) Which reduces the cooldown on all reaper skills when you kill a foe, will probably make getting around and slaughtering mobs for heart missions really fast. So I’d actually suggest a power build. I’d think something like dagger/WH + Axe/X would be ideal. Dagger having the highest dps, and axe giving you some breathing room for ranged if need be. Otherwise, I’d probably pick up soul reaping to further buff reaper shroud.

This is all assuming you unlock the reaper. For the rest, I’d try and maintain permanent swiftness with the warhorn, but not sure where the reduced cooldown trait for that is.

Let me know how this all goes. I think the necromancer is a cool profession, but I always give up because of how slow it is. With reapers onslaught and reaper skill 2, I imagine it would feel quite fluid.

Good luck.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

You may want to check out Brazil’s Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/t3llularman

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYRjc0QrNWbDW2A7NWKGMqhwV4WF/DDiJxoAw3qbB-Tpw+AAQZAc/BA

This is the build I usually use for open world stuff since its very difficult to be killed, considering I can camp shroud about half the time.

could be wrong but I think my pre hot build was something like this for condition

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWn0ICN2g12AW2As3gDchCOABwCQTj24Lib9EcvA-TpgPAB/WGAg9HAA

Fortunately necromancer with its life force and higher than average hp pool is a forgiving profession to learn.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

in Necromancer

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I got a chance to fiddle with the calculator, and this is what I would use.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQRBIhdu1JHNQLNYjNg1NA9mYZZwouBHhU1UPLA8Cijh3wfIA-TZRBABA8EAy/gAc1+DkVG4hTAAA

You can change your axe sigil of agility if you replace a single beserker piece with some concentration. I’d suggest bloodlust.

With that you’ll have huge power, reaper shroud would have 100% crit chance, and you’ll just mow everything down. Death’s charge would reset on kill, and with 100% swiftness duration, you would just slaughter your way through maps.

Good luck.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

in Necromancer

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

condi really is only good for soloing champs, high level fractals/raids, etc. Bosses that take some time to kill. Everything else dies too quick.

PVE-wise, i usually go full zerk with scholar runes, with death/blood/Reaper skills (d/wh, gs). Why death? I like to solo champs and basically solo everything, plus i can walk into fractals without changing anything and rofl stomp through (gotta love condi clear trait on minions). Death helps keep the bonus up on scholar runes as well. Blood is a must for me personally. I cannot live without Movement speed and the heals and well cooldowns are just a plus.

I cannot remember the last time i died to be honest, and i solo just about everything under legendary status. Here’s my normal build :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhF6khGolGsxGwbTg9GsMNYTPgLwHQaAUACAxfwU4LE-TpAXAAw+DdZAA

I switch out GS for staff when i need some range, but thats rare now a days.
I do tend to drop Death line and take spite and go full dps when in a zerg:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhFakhGapxGbwmGYvxCugBNACAtgpiQToKEXF/ilRA-TpAXAAw+DdZAA

You can drop the blood line for even more dps (pick up soul line), but i personally cannot live without the movement speed in blood, plus the heals/well cooldowns are really nice the way i play.

In WvW, i regret to say i have joined the dark side and play condi. But thats a whole other conversation.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Ther’s no “best” build for open world.. but you can swap trait line for every situation

my Power build with good life force generation via chill and multi hitting ability, with high might generation
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBhOD7kZTolGsmGwxGg9GsgLYxXxuYZk6M0GeWQDgAQLA-TxRBABPcRAMTJIAPAA80NU+RAgS1fua/R5HA-e

my Condition buid that make use of mob’s condition to heal or sent it back, I always use it in Ember Bay.
Take “Rise!” if you want to.. “Suffer!” less damage.
I use bone minion for poison GS whirl on demand and Istant AoE damage.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYRjc0Q1N2dDO1A7NWKGsoAwAIBI9BCBdg4eYRMJC-TxhHQBA4UAQP1fK3+DEU5XteCAZUJI50HAA-e

in Necromancer

Orpheus.7891

I don’t have access to 2h sword yet and I only have “of the Necromancer” gear and only 90 gold on my account. Should I just stick with the gear or buy something with power and vitality?

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

I’ll be talking about power necro mostly.

Valkyrie and carrion are good subs. You can get exotic gear for free though from Verdant brink, and dragons stand.

I don’t suggest temple gear, as karma is worth a lot of gold now, but that option is there as well. You can buy berserker gear at the Grenth temple in cursed Shore. You will need about 250-300k karma for a set.

There is also the option of using WvW badges, which will give you cheap exotic armor from wvw armor outfitter. I suggest carrion or zerker stats.

When you unlock Reaper you get a free GS right away. That will cover your weapon. You can get a free ascended GS from the trahearne current event which unlocks the reset after you finish the HoT story. You also have the choice of doing the Dark Harvest asc GS which requires more masteries, but no story.

For runes, exotic runes here are a few good extremely cheap options that i use on pretty much every toon that isnt raid ready til i put in something better..

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_Hoelbrak
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Ogre
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_Vampirism
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Wurm
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_Rage

I personally use rune of the wurm on my power necro, as necromancers dont need precision, it double dips for shroud. And i always crit, which means i always get the ferocity on my hits.

Most of these runes are quite cheap as well, some only a few silver. Its all about picking your poison.

in Necromancer

mulzi.8273

I don’t have access to 2h sword yet and I only have “of the Necromancer” gear and only 90 gold on my account. Should I just stick with the gear or buy something with power and vitality?

90 gold should get you a full zerk set in exotic, including all weapons and runes.

As for power/vitality: unless you are doing WvW, vitality on a necro is borderline useless. You already have a high hit point pool. Plus you have a second health bar with shroud. In Open world Pve and fractals/dungeons, go zerk. You shouldn’t really die in full zerk in open world pve.

in Necromancer

Orpheus.7891

90 gold should get you a full zerk set in exotic, including all weapons and runes.

As for power/vitality: unless you are doing WvW, vitality on a necro is borderline useless. You already have a high hit point pool. Plus you have a second health bar with shroud. In Open world Pve and fractals/dungeons, go zerk. You shouldn’t really die in full zerk in open world pve.

Each piece is between 15-17g so I don’t have enough which really sucks but I do have 300k Karma

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

Borderline useless, vs precision, which is always useless.

Do you even play necro man? Why should anyone buy a full zerk exotic set when you can basically get one for free?

Also shroud isn’t a ‘second health bar’. Anyone that truly plays necro knows that this is a misunderstanding of how shroud works, which is why the vitality, on a class with no blocks, isn’t useless.

Especially when you say things like “Too slow and outperformed by dagger.” In regards to GS, which is patently false.

(edited by FrostDraco.8306)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

You get an exotic Berserker Greatsword when you start Reaper ESpec for the 1st time on your account and an exotic head armor piece when you finish it. So those are 2 pieces you shouldn’t worry about. Just head in and find a Hero Point train, or recruit a friend/guildie to do them with you. Ppl tend to be friendly to new people in the jungle if you just let them know.

Btw, Necromancer runes are horrible, so get rid of them as soon as you have an armor set you feel comfortable in.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

As someone that has just called into question another person’s ability to play necro, I have to do the same with you. The idea that precision is wasted because necro can have 100% crit chance without any investment is just kitten. You won’t be doing optimal damage if you sit in shroud the whole fight.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

As someone that has just called into question another person’s ability to play necro, I have to do the same with you. The idea that precision is wasted because necro can have 100% crit chance without any investment is just kitten. You won’t be doing optimal damage if you sit in shroud the whole fight.

Actually that is kind of incorrect. I’ve done several dps test to show a necro does more damage with a shroud soulreaping build than using any other spec for power when doing solo dps.

The only time the damage is suboptimal is when other people are providing buffs which certain isnt the case in open world pve.

If you don’t believe me go test for yourself. Maybe people should stop relying on raid benchmarks for optimal dps numbers when raid benchmarks are done with full party buffs.

And also the idea that precision is waste because necro can get 100% crit, is the whole reason raid builds didn’t use soul reaping.

If you don’t understand why that statement was made (especially when you consider just a few peices of berzerker/valk trinkets with stray fury can cap precision on a necro). But you wouldn’t know that unless you have done it. Which i have. Several times over.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

the best build for open world and general pve is usually the same build for raid. www.qtfy.eu

if you expect to solo just refine it a little more for self-might generation (strength sigil, artistocracy runes, chilling victory, “you’re all weaklings” etc)

(edited by Sublimatio.6981)

in Necromancer

Vitali.5039

With maximum power and ferocity, if the crit it’s capped, power necros gain more benefit from vitality and toughness for the conversion to ferocity (nourishment).

Toughness it’s more useful to tank, you can get power from toughness from death magic line (tankier but not competitive damage wise) but more health let you have better scholar uptime and.. more life force.

Just a thing: full exotic berserker only give you 42,57% crit (in the panel)

in Necromancer

mulzi.8273

Do you even play necro man? Why should anyone buy a full zerk exotic set when you can basically get one for free?

Also shroud isn’t a ‘second health bar’. Anyone that truly plays necro knows that this is a misunderstanding of how shroud works, which is why the vitality, on a class with no blocks, isn’t useless.

Especially when you say things like “Too slow and outperformed by dagger.” In regards to GS, which is patently false.

we will agree to disagree. And yes, i main a necro. I have 4 of them in fact. And we are talking about OPEN WORLD PVE here. vitality is useless. If you go death line, you have more than enough toughness to take hits with base hps. If you go soul, you have more than enough shroud gen/sustain to take a full hit bar.

And yes, if the target sits in front of you, GS is more DPS. But d/wh generates more LF, cleaves well, and the third hit on auto attack hits like a truck. Not to mention wh 4 breakbar ability. But i use d/wh with GS on switch and ditched staff, unless range is absolutely needed, like soloing the mushroom queen HP in TD for example.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

snip.

Again you’re talking about testing dps on a non offensive static golem. That kind of makes any attempt at solo dps pointless for open world.

And I guess you’re talking about Brazil’s 30% precision necro build? So your previous statement about precision being always useless is wrong. Trying to deflect isn’t going to work when you make silly absolute claims.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

TO be fair … open world is like fighting a non-offensive static golem …

on the other hand, swapping to shroud to get optimal damage for open world where most the encounters are trash mobs, makes no sense either, so it’s irrelevant if Soul Reaping Shroud build has the highest DPS.

There are two ‘best’ builds. One will be for soloing almost anything, the other will be the highest burst damage build to kill trash most effectively. And that’s a universal truth in this game because of the mechanics.

Frankly, I think the best soloing anything build for new players will be minions, with scepter and condition damage. Nothing touches you, you’re damage is very consistent and sustainable with easy rotation.

As for the trash bursting build … haven’t really convinced myself Necros have one; consider what a Guardian can do stacking symbols or a berserker with sword torch. Those kind of builds make OW feel like a relic. The necro class itself is a slow and steady sort of slog feeling to it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Sublimatio.6981

you can spawn wells, nightfall, locust swarm, gravedigger and you have a burst

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

you can spawn wells, nightfall, locust swarm, gravedigger and you have a burst

While all those things are nice for a burst, I find that GS isn’t the optimal OW weapon; it’s strikes are large and heavy which make it’s skills overkill, making your game flow slower.

Unfortunately, Necro isn’t a very good OW class to being with, because shroud has little use in OW and many traits are hard to place because they are focused on shroud in numerous lines. Also, wells while good at burst are not very frequent for trash and have relatively long DoTs, so have reduced effectiveness compared to other AOE things from other classes, like Guardian symbols.

Still, OW build for trash kills, I would recommend the following:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNAodWjk0QLN2TD20AHOOwFK4AEAtwsIaiqIuB57HA-e

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Vitali.5039

Unfortunately, Necro isn’t a very good OW class to being with, because shroud has little use in OW and many traits are hard to place because they are focused on shroud in numerous lines.

Heretic! You only have to use cruelty sigil for the first 25 kills (you’ll love pocket raptor & co.) to make shroud work better then any other OW class. Not everyone can get near istantly 25 might and 100% crit chance.

The wells are godsend: you can cast it and then go into Reaper’s Shroud. They can kill mob and recharge Shroud’s ability via Reaper’s Onslaught.

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

Well, I won’t argue about specific tactics, but strategically, the ideal situation are sustainable, frequent skills; Shroud isn’t either of those, and neither is wells. In fact the only well worth a kitten here is Suffering and it’s over 6 seconds … not really that good a trash effect. No doubt it’s necessary though, because Necro doesn’t do much better. Ideally you have a burst you can access on the frequency you encounter mobs.

For example … Sword on guardian or D/P theif. Those are great OW builds; the burst is basically every mob you encounter, along with good fight opening and closing. Guardian would be top if it wasn’t for the need to have Traveler runes.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

snip.

Again you’re talking about testing dps on a non offensive static golem. That kind of makes any attempt at solo dps pointless for open world.

And I guess you’re talking about Brazil’s 30% precision necro build? So your previous statement about precision being always useless is wrong. Trying to deflect isn’t going to work when you make silly absolute claims.

Deflect? Brazil?

Nice of you to make these assertions. I was using this strat before Brazil even made the video. Before HoT even.

Precision is always useless on a necro mancer because it can be supplemented easily with the meta traits for necromancer. However , its up to the player to decide if they want to do that.

Useless=not needed in a general sense. Just like when people say defensive stats in pve are useless. They aren’t actually useless, but not needed in a general sense. Nice attempt to twist the meaning of what I said, but you are gonna have to try harder. Instead of seeming awfully pedantic.

As for the comment about a static dps golem, you have described pretty much most of the open world. Are you trying to say there is much of a difference? I don’t work under the assumption i have a zerg of other players with me. The fact i need to even explain why solo dps is important is beyond me.

As for Obtena’s comment about gaurdian needing traveler runes? Why use those when you can have perma swiftness?

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

As for Obtena’s comment about gaurdian needing traveler runes? Why use those when you can have perma swiftness?

There are options, but I prefer travelers; it’s true you don’t NEED them. It’s simply the easiest way to get a RS buff. I think it’s also the most economical, but I don’t have any analysis to support that other than my experience.

The point is that the lack of a permanent RS buff requires some thought behind how to get more speed on a Guardian, while on every other class, there is a signet or trait for it. Make no mistake though … getting some kind of RS buff is a requirement for optimal OW gameplay.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Nice of you to make these assertions. I was using this strat before Brazil even made the video. Before HoT even.

Despite the strat requiring a semi organised team to pull off? Aka, spotter, disc banner and fury (for the less than 30% precision build). And the actual Reaper spec since Death Perception only works in shroud and Death Shroud is utter kitten on its own.

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

Despite the strat requiring a semi organised team to pull off? Aka, spotter, disc banner and fury (for the less than 30% precision build). And the actual Reaper spec since Death Perception only works in shroud and Death Shroud is utter kitten on its own.

Yes, i think it’s important for people to discard what they know, based on meta builds for dungeons, raids, etc… . Those are optimized for team content. Precision is hardly useless on a necro … In fact, if you are going to build with a weapon that has abyssimal power damage to start with (Scepter) then, I would argue that there is way more value in procing a crit with an effect than the regular damage hit with it. We are talking trash … the more attacks you make on a mob, the less effective you are.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

You pretty much just described every raid and meta build in existence.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

So much for using this strat pre HoT and whilst solo running.

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

So much for using this strat pre HoT and whilst solo running.

Still used it then. Spotter, fury, and banners aren’t exactly rare you know. Tbh its no different than running full berserker on any other class than can’t force its crit rate up.

As for you people saying death shroud isn’t optimal damage. I think they really don’t understand how little damage a necro does without party buffs outside of DS.

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

The reason I dislike DS is that there isn’t much you can be if you are built into it with traits. I tested DS again and in even moderately populated areas, I was only in DS 50% of encounters I had. It’s not a sustainable approach and needs to be augmented when you can’t be in it.

I think to be fair, it’s safe to say Necro doesn’t have much choices outside of shroud because they aren’t that great of an OW class to begin with. If DS is included as an optimized OW build, then I would have to recommend something like Axe/Focus With Spite, Death and Soul Reaping and full minions, though I would sure miss RS buff with that.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

Kill that build with fire and bury it. It’s terrible.

in Necromancer

Rapier.3675

whats wrong with necros lazy and easy mode for open pve farming . o0

in Necromancer

Sublimatio.6981

it’s utterly disgusting.

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

I don’t think it’s that the build is lazy and easy. It’s just not that good. A few things I can see not well done:

1. You’re killing OW trash with a GS and none of the few damage multipliers necros have.
2. You’re traited in minions deep … but only using one permanent minion?
3. You’re slow because you didn’t trait RS signet or use daggers with RS trait
4. You have a trait that needs 4 stacks of bleed to work .. but you only make 2 with Staff
5. Back to #4 .. you’re missing lots of trait synergies … how come you didn’t trait Deathly chill to work with Blood Bond?
6. You have Sigil of Strength, not the best Sigil you could have.

If you wanted lazy and easy, You would just go full minion with Axe/Dagger … Death, Spite, Blood. Game AI is not good so minions will always tank and you can hang back and AA all you like with the runspeed to get you around fast. Make no mistake though … boring. It’s also not really what the OP asked for; it’s certainly not the best for soloing or being fast.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Rapier.3675

I don’t think it’s that the build is lazy and easy. It’s just not that good. A few things I can see not well done:

1. You’re killing OW trash with a GS and none of the few damage multipliers necros have.
4. You have a trait that needs 4 stacks of bleed to work .. but you only make 2 with Staff
5. Back to #4 .. you’re missing lots of trait synergies … how come you didn’t trait Deathly chill to work with Blood Bond?

If you wanted lazy and easy, You would just go full minion with Axe/Dagger … Death, Spite, Blood. Game AI is not good so minions will always tank and you can hang back and AA all you like with the runspeed to get you around fast. Make no mistake though … boring. It’s also not really what the OP asked for; it’s certainly not the best for soloing or being fast.

Why minion deep? Got two tho. In build I did a mistake while making it. I am using blood fiend insted of CC. My bad. They are perfect agro. Backing up perma minions with rise. So kittens = 5 minions = more toughnes, more cleanse/transfer and reduced dmg. And thtat is why Augury of Death is used. To reduce recharg.
mark of blood + SoS = activating BB if needed (mainly for champs). So no need for DC so i went for more ferocity and attack speed while in shroud. And extra power from SoS comes in handy out of the shroud . Ofc for faster travel I switch to locust.
Since i’m doing clasical AOE farm, I need a weapon which hits more targets. Dagger have only 2 targets on hit while GS have 3 on auto attack and DS, rest have 5. And dmg with Gravedigger is usefull when u do +- 10k dmg on 5 mobs. And more targets = more heals + gravediggers health steal.

Staff is good for kiting when minions are on cooldown.

in Necromancer

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

This is what I use
I mean, its not great, by any means.
Probably going to catch hell for running it.
But I use it for all of PvE, and also roaming in WvW.
It’s pretty capable, I cleared all of personal story by myself.
I can solo camps, and some towers in WvW.
Pretty much, run in screaming, and keep them close.

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

Why minion deep? Got two tho. In build I did a mistake while making it. I am using blood fiend insted of CC. My bad. They are perfect agro. Backing up perma minions with rise. So kittens = 5 minions = more toughnes, more cleanse/transfer and reduced dmg. And thtat is why Augury of Death is used. To reduce recharg.
mark of blood + SoS = activating BB if needed (mainly for champs). So no need for DC so i went for more ferocity and attack speed while in shroud. And extra power from SoS comes in handy out of the shroud . Ofc for faster travel I switch to locust.
Since i’m doing clasical AOE farm, I need a weapon which hits more targets. Dagger have only 2 targets on hit while GS have 3 on auto attack and DS, rest have 5. And dmg with Gravedigger is usefull when u do +- 10k dmg on 5 mobs. And more targets = more heals + gravediggers health steal.

If you are doing AOE farm you shouldnt be using minions at all. The build is bad, and your play is too from what you just said.

Everything you just describe is the exact opposite of going balls deep. It’s running around because you have no sustain, or damage, or tankyness, preventing your inevitable death.

in Necromancer

Rapier.3675

If you are doing AOE farm you shouldnt be using minions at all. The build is bad, and your play is too from what you just said.

Everything you just describe is the exact opposite of going balls deep. It’s running around because you have no sustain, or damage, or tankyness, preventing your inevitable death.

I’m doing AOE easy without a swet, dying or runing around…

in Necromancer

Obtena.7952

Why minion deep? Well, you devoted a whole line and three traits in it for minions … In fact, I think those are ALL the traits you can select for minions. So yup, minion deep.

I mean, I get you think your choices are good. What I’m saying is that there isn’t anything optimal there, like what the OP actually asked for. For example, Staff is good for kiting? Please tell us what kind of optimal build needs to kite anything in open world content? I don’t see the need, yet it’s your reason for selecting Staff. Kiting anything is not-optimal.

I think you would do much better to take the advice you’re being given here and consider making changes to reflect that. You will perform much better if your goal is to do that. Just because you’re doing AOE easy without a sweat, dying or running around is not indicative of a optimal or a good build. AOE farm = garbage damage, especially when your encountering single trash mobs; not an uncommon occurrence in OW PVE>

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

FrostDraco.8306

I’m doing AOE easy without a swet, dying or runing around…

There is a reason we have shouts and wells, both which are aoe. Shouts having a much lower CD than every skill on staff when traited and hitting 5 targets, reducing the damage you take, have a fairly large aoe range, and do more damage than minions.

Staff is only really good at utility and LF regen, something which isnt really needed in trash situations because you gain stupid LF when things die. And on single target situations (like champions and legendaries) axe generates slightly less LF but has 2x more single target dmg. There is a reason all of the good staff builds are pvp and wvw, and PVE builds completely ignore it.

The build you posted does a bit of everything but it good at absolutely nothing. And that is what makes it a bad build. Good builds tend to have a purpose and intented use/situation.