Blind, Cold, and Afraid -sPvP build

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheMightyAltroll.3485

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Made I build recently by accident for sPvP. Might’ve been done before, but I really have enjoyed using it. Essentially the build focuses on constantly chilling opponents, and blinding them, while adding powerful conditions and strong fear ticks. Probably the closest I’ve ever gotten to an actual ‘attrition’ build. I actually started enjoying Necromancer again with this, got a nasty smerk as I frustrated enemy players with my constant blinds chills and fears.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNAW7YjMax7Vbia87JAJFPDN0jdx15IFFHMA;TsAgyCuoiyElIKbUuokRtOYcw2AA

Attack 2971

Crit chance 14%

Armor 2036

Vitality 25312

Condition Damage 1306

Boon duration 20%

Condition duration 30% (That it displays. I have significantly more for certain conditions.)

Staff (Sigil of Superior Venom)

Scepter (Sigil of Superior Venom) / Dagger (Sigil of Superior Chilling)

Consume Conditions

Corrupt Boon – Spectral Grasp – Well of Darkness

Plague

Spite: 30
V – X – XII

Curses: 20
III – VI

Death Magic: 20
II – VIII

6 Superior Runes of the Necromancer

Carrion Amulet / Carrion Jewel

If you think of any suggestions to better the build, feel free to share them

Contact me ingame for Necro, Ranger, Mesmer, and Thief advice.

(edited by TheMightyAltroll.3485)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

Looks like the Mr. Freeze build that was popular back in betas.

Basically if I remember correctly you’ll kill almost every warrior and thief you ever come across, won’t be able to kill mesmers, guardians, or eles, and you’ll be on fairly even footing with engies and rangers.

But it’s been a while since I played that build and there have been lots of changes, so only thing I can say for sure is it’ll be even easier to kill warriors….

Aside from that I couldn’t say lol

in Necromancer

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Well from my experiences in using it recently, it dominates Mesmers as well. It doesn’t focus on freezing as much as it focuses on Fear and Blindness. It’s a big hybrid. Pretty much the only thing that killed me was a Trap Ranger that was able to keep distance from my blindness and luckily dodged all my fears. Guardians failed (Corrupt Boon), Warriors failed really hard (Chill/Blindness), Thieves didn’t even have a chance (they actually tended to kill themselves by letting me activate Reaper’s Protection), Elementalists also failed rather horribly (Corrupt Boon along with the constant interruptions/Fears just whittled them down to death), Engineers (Minor difficulty, beat them with loads of blindness on their grenades/CCs), Mesmer (Not very difficult, I kept identifying the real one, fearing him and pulling him in with Spectral grasp)

in Necromancer

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

This seems like a build I will try out myself in sPvp. Just one question though, I know that certain sigils which needs a critical to activate tend to clash, and it is unnecessary to have two of the same sigils in your weapons (i.e. Major Earth in Staff and Major Earth in Scepter), but what happens if you use two sigils of venom like you did? I assume the boost is ineffective unless you are actually wielding the weapon, or by some random chance do the two sigils stack in any way?

Sylvari for life. <3

in Necromancer

TheMightyAltroll.3485

I believe it’s ineffective unless you’re actually wielding weapon, but no they certainly do not stack. None of the sigils stack.

If I’m wrong, then I’d easily replace the Sigil of Venom on my Staff with a Sigil of Agony. However, the Poison is more necessary.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SupahSpankeh.8452

SupahSpankeh.8452

Interestin’.

Tried Runes of Grenth btw? 20% fear duration with 30% from Spite does guarantee another tick from Reaper’s Protection, but 20% extra chill and chill on heal might be interesting.

Mad Skullz | 80 Necro | Piken Square

in Necromancer

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Yeah, the Runes of Grenth also work, Runes of the Nightmare can work as well. Pretty much just change it to your tastes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

Wow, did the Troll just put an actual helpful post up :P? I am totally impressed. I was thinking of something like this yesterday when testing out a full condition fear build in sPvP.

Great thought on adding Spectral Grasp to your setup. I am not a fan of corrupt boon, but I can see how effective it can be. I had nice two to three second fears.

My biggest issue in any Fear build is building Life Force which means for a while you have to kind of hang out waiting while dropping your aoe and forcing blinds.

I ended up going Rampager Jewel for more crit bleeds, and picking up boon removal on crit just for fun. Did you find it pretty dang squishy when you ran into a hard hitter?

in Necromancer

TheMightyAltroll.3485

Nah, I actually found it very tanky. The only way they could burst me successfully would be to stun me, and then I get Reaper’s Protection, if they tried to burst me without doing that, I can blind them for a long time and have access to my high damage conditions.

I keep Corrupt Boon around for a handy burst against boon spammers. Normally, if they aren’t using boons much then that means I can whittle them down to nothing, if they go for high damage or bunker, then they end up stacking them on. Immediately I then go into my Spectral Grasp, then Corrupt Boon, then I begin stacking fears and chills/poison. Generally they die rather quickly.

By the way, if you guys want to talk to me ingame about stuff (I’m a huge theory crafter, I’ve made like 28 builds) feel free to.

Edit: Runes of the Necromancer are the best for the main purpose, but Runes of the Orrian are also incredibly good, as are Runes of the Afflicted.

(edited by TheMightyAltroll.3485)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tenderly.7019

Tenderly.7019

One thing you have to remember is that if you want to play in tournaments, Signet of Undeath is why most players want to bring a Necromancer to the team. Spectral grasp would probably be the first candidate to suffer removal.

Also, be very careful about where the enemy thief is located on the map and always call this out to your teammates and vice versa. All good team do this. You have very low toughness as you know so they can kill you in their backstab burst very quickly if you are not prepared with blinding well and/or deathshroud. Especially in team fights. Good thieves will just shortbow out of blinding well and backstab afterword as well.

Corrupt Boon conditions are a static durations regardless of the boon affected. The fear is 1 second (not taking into account your own condition duration). In my opinion this utility is the second most useful for tournament play after Signet of Undeath. By far the best removal of stability in the game. I personally run 20% reduced cooldown on corruption specifically for this. The amount of stomps you can interrupt will save your teammates more than you can count.

In conclusion, it’s a very viable build as far as SPvP goes, but some changes might be necessary for high level tournament play.

Thanks for sharing.

in Necromancer

TheMightyAltroll.3485

When it comes to tournaments, I adapt to the situation. I’m very desired on this build because of my constant blinds and chills. Turns group fights into the favor of my team. Sometimes I’ll run Signet of Undeath, but I personally prefer running Epidemic or CPC for high level play. As for your thief, that’s specifically why I pack the Spectral grasp, I pull them back into my Well of blindness and chill them (I also use the grasp to interrupt Orbers or stompers that lack Stability). Then I proceed to stack conditions on them. I’m not immune to damage, but I can cope with it very well on this build. I’ve found that Deathshroud 2 is one of my best friends as well. This isn’t a melee build, but it seems the closer I am to my opponent, the deadlier I become.

Thank you for your input