Can Necromancers have an elite skill, please?

in Necromancer

Posted by: AndyJo.8794

AndyJo.8794

Heyo,

In light of the recent balance patch, the time has finally come; Necromancers have no helpful elite skills that bear an impact on how they play. When it comes to Necromancer we have the options of:

Racial Elites, which are intentionally bad or highly highly highly (worth repeating) situational.

Lich Form: Transforms, gives stability, gives Shroud, and swaps your skill bar. There is, obviously, the point of the recent nerf to this alternate skill bar’s 4: the limitation on the minions that it summons, and how this severely impacts Condition Necromancer. There is a counter point that this was NEVER the intended use of this skill (activate, use 4, deactivate) as it gives an entire skillbar, but the point of this usage has to also be mentioned: It is the ONLY skill on the ELITE skill-bar worth using over your regular weapon skills, as it is the ONLY skill on the ELITE skill-bar that has MORE impact than auto-attacking with a non-elite weapon. There is obviously a problem there, especially when paired with a 180 second cooldown.

Flesh Golem: summons a fairly beefy minion that does ~700 damage on its first AA hit, followed by ~50% more on the second hit in its sequence, with a very slow attack speed and a frequent bug that makes the golem not actually attack at all. But the AA Damage is not why this skill is taken anyway: It replaces the summon with an activate-able ability “Charge” which deals ~1500 damage and – more importantly – performs both a knock-back and a 2-second knock-down (the tooltip is wrong). This is a significant amount of CC and is a potent source of damage against break bars. This entire skill functions primarily as a 40-second cooldown anti-breakbar ability that can die and go on a longer double-cooldown, like Warrior’s Headbutt if it didn’t give you any self-bonus and would randomly double its own CD.

Plague Cloud: Is bad. It’s just objectively terrible. It has a 180 second cooldown, gives you a pulsing condi effect with duration times so low as to be ignorable, the condis it pulses themselves are weak, and using this skill is in all situations and circumstances an abject loss compared to using your NORMAL skills and utilities from your weapon and bar. This might not be THE worst elite skill in the game, but it is a serious contender.

Reaper: Chilled to the Bone: A 90-second cooldown AoE Shout with a 1.25 second casting time that can be blocked/evaded/blinded, but does do a 2 second stun (although it actually applies its own effect; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reaper's_Frost I am unsure how this interacts with sigils/runes) on each target hit as well as provide stability to the necromancer, as well as dealing very minor damage. It is functionally an AoE stun that also applies chill, and while its effects are decent, it has a 90-second cooldown. A minute and a half. While in PvP this skill can catch someone off guard and be used as an opportunity to burst them down, most often the target simply has a form of stun-break on a much shorter CD and pops right out of it. This skill has almost no application in PvE at any level.

So I ask; Please. Can Necromancer just have an elite skill? Just a single elite skill that is actually worth activating in most situations, or at all? Failing that, can we just slot an extra utility skill in that elite slot if we don’t want it? Something needs to be done with elites – not just with necromancers either, though it’s the example used here – as they do not feel very ‘elite’, especially when the act of actually using them hampers a class rather than enhances it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

This story holds valid for quite a few other proffesions as well, and tbh, most skills in the utility segement would easily be more powerfull then some proffesions elites. As such making slot 0 equippable by both elite and utility skills would be a good way to adress the uselessness of most lolz @ “gamechanging” -not so- elite skills and provide gw2 with some new options.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

in Necromancer

Posted by: MeinUguu.8256

MeinUguu.8256

I keep Plague handy for that massive boost in durability. Nice to pop when the entire enemy team trains you, buys you a few more seconds to linger and waste their time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

As stated many many times on the forums, Anet should fill in all the missing elites (signet and well for necro).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

This story holds valid for quite a few other proffesions as well, and tbh, most skills in the utility segement would easily be more powerfull then some proffesions elites. As such making slot 0 equippable by both elite and utility skills would be a good way to adress the uselessness of most lolz @ “gamechanging” -not so- elite skills and provide gw2 with some new options.

Yes thats a good point. The last slot should be open for another utility.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Sadly, in gw2, many elite skills don’t fill so elite… I think mesmer is a good example of what elite skills can be: a unique game changing skill.

Now, complaining about the elites is easy, but what suggestion do we have?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Yessss, enable us to use a 4th utility in the elite spot!!!

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Necromancer

MeinUguu.8256

Ward Against Death
Up to five nearby allies(600 range) are rendered Invulnerable, Life Force drains 12.5% per attack prevented. (Maximum of 8 attacks at 100%) Does not affect Conditions already applied, or fall damage.

There’s a suggestion.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

That would be good in pve, where build up LF isn’t a big problem (and sometimes you don’t even need the shroud to perfomr your best damage, then lose it isn’t a big problem for your dps) but in www it would do more or less nothing to your team and just make you waste all your LF. In sPvP will be even worst because it’s even harder to build up LF, making that skill a saming skill only if you’re using it in solo and also making you die faster than if you chose to active your Shroud. Think at the revenant staff 5 or sword 3: your LF will drop to 0 in lesser than 2 seconds.

But add the chance to chose a Utility skill over the Elite one can be a really good thing for shure.

Anyway the golem is good in the MM build; the Plague can be really good in sPvP to spam blind in a team fights, making the enemy miss a lot of hits and granting a huge advantage to your team. Lich Form was good in raids to spam minions, but now it’s bad even there and it can be only good in common pve, dungeon or big boss events.

in Necromancer

MeinUguu.8256

Well, the LF% drain could be lowered to allow more hits sustained. Honestly whipped that together in like ten seconds, so I didn’t expect it to be balanced.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mikhael.2391

Mikhael.2391

Ward Against Death
Up to five nearby allies(600 range) are rendered Invulnerable, Life Force drains 12.5% per attack prevented. (Maximum of 8 attacks at 100%) Does not affect Conditions already applied, or fall damage.

There’s a suggestion.

Gives invulnerable 3sec just to you and 8% LF while being hit for each hit. Now thats an elite.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Elite Well
Elite Signet

Maybe Anet can introduce these 2
(and actually the 2 missing Elite Skills for every class)

and we could see some nice alternatives for many builds

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

in Necromancer

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

KITTEN. ANET- can u plz buff one spec without destroying another plz. Lich form was apex of condi build for single target. Now its pretty much toast with no condi replacement!!!!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

Welcome to the patch path of the Elementalist. They were exactly in this spot when tornado and fgs was nerfed, with the community asking anet the same question as this thread and begging that they could at least use a 4th utility skill.

Next up on the path should be epidemic, since it can (in some very specific circumstances, against very specific bosses) do more damage than any other skill in the game, similar to ice bow vs large targets.

Still, ice bow took a year or so after the elite were nuked. Necro is still a favored class in fractals, and still used on some raids. It a bad situation but history has a tendency to repeat itself.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Ward Against Death

There’s a suggestion.

Gives invulnerable 3sec just to you and 8% LF while being hit for each hit. Now thats an elite.

That’s what many people have asked for Spectral Armour to become.

in Necromancer

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

As stated many many times on the forums, Anet should fill in all the missing elites (signet and well for necro).

Agreed. Anet don’t just kill a major source of steady dam, and give nothing to replace. Signet and well’s would be the natural evolution for necro spite and soul reaping now. Also some condi elite and get rid of lame plague – does anyone actually use that in pve? Talk bout dps killer.

in Necromancer

Mikhael.2391

Ward Against Death

There’s a suggestion.

That’s what many people have asked for Spectral Armour to become.

I would rather have stacks of stability in spectral armour for 7sec. And spectral walk on superspeed for lets say 4sec with stability aswell

in Necromancer

MeinUguu.8256

I’d like to see Plague have all three effects toggled at once and to not swap your weapon skills and utilities. Shorten its duration if you have to, but it’s only ever worth it to use if you’re wanting to either spam its Blinds or want the extra tankiness to survive something. But its always a net loss of damage capacity.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

So far, I’ve found Lich Form to be quite useful in PvP. Golem is also useful in PvP for chain stunning targets. Plague is used defensively to get rezzes, to get stomps, to stall, Plague is good.

Chilled to the bone, also good. Requires good timing and awareness to land. You can also use it on a downed body so the hit is guaranteed or on Ranger pets.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Necromancer

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

I keep Plague handy for that massive boost in durability. Nice to pop when the entire enemy team trains you, buys you a few more seconds to linger and waste their time.

What op said is only applicable in pve. Pvp/wvw elites are as good as always

M I L K B O I S

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

I’d like to see Plague have all three effects toggled at once and to not swap your weapon skills and utilities. Shorten its duration if you have to, but it’s only ever worth it to use if you’re wanting to either spam its Blinds or want the extra tankiness to survive something. But its always a net loss of damage capacity.

So basically like the human racial elite Reaper of Grenth, but a lot better?
On that note I might actually start using it now.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZDragon.3046

ZDragon.3046

Why the heck is this not a necromancer utility skill to start with!!!?!?!?!?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Idk I think Lich and the Flesh Golem are alright, they provide some good things even if Lich’s skillset is a bit scattershot there’s some good stuff there.

Plague though is really missing its mark as the “condition” elite. It’s great defensively sure, massive health and toughness boost but that’s it. The offensive portion of the skill is non-existent. The #2 & 3 skills are always the superior choice as they increase the defensive ability of the form. I think plague needs the offensive conditions it has increased in duration and possibly stacks. Additionally #4 & 5 skills should be added to it. Make #4 Gathering Plague from underwater DS and #5 “Contagion” basically a self epidemic that copies all conditions on you to enemies, possibly removing the conditions from you afterwards. Make plague an interesting form to use not just a turtle skill where you switch to then turn on one of the pulses and just sit there.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Rebound!

But seriously, I think necromancer has it slightly better than elementalist. Chilled to the Bone and Flesh Golem are at least CC access

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Why the heck is this not a necromancer utility skill to start with!!!?!?!?!?

Ikr. They should just buff plague to be a superior version of Reaper of Grenth, similar to how “For Great Justice” is a superior version of the Charr racial utility Battle Roar.

in Necromancer

Mikhael.2391

Most elites i find them useless due to long CD im not taking them. I would use reaper of grenth etc if had like 70s cd for ex. Same with others

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Rebound!

But seriously, I think necromancer has it slightly better than elementalist. Chilled to the Bone and Flesh Golem are at least CC access

Yes rebound is terrible but honestly as necro i would take fiery greatsword over any necro elite…

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Rebound!

Yes rebound is terrible but honestly as necro i would take fiery greatsword over any necro elite…

Rebound is like Glyph of Unity. Both skills are mostly kitten, but Rebound is used for a free aoe aura, for healing, and GoU is used to proc Grace of the Land via Verdant Etching.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

To say Necros have useless elites is simply nonsense. Flesh Golem is a reasonable standby. CttB! is perfectly usable and fills key functionality. Lich Form is the only element which doesn’t ‘work’, and that’s primarily a result of meta influences (dependent on projectiles in a projectile-hate meta).

Plague Cloud: Is bad. It’s just objectively terrible. It has a 180 second cooldown, gives you a pulsing condi effect with duration times so low as to be ignorable, the condis it pulses themselves are weak, and using this skill is in all situations and circumstances an abject loss compared to using your NORMAL skills and utilities from your weapon and bar. This might not be THE worst elite skill in the game, but it is a serious contender.

Entirely disagree. Plague is monstrously strong when you are playing a build appropriate for it; strong enough that its related trait (Chilling Darkness) received a nerf at the pre-HoT balance patch.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

To say Necros have useless elites is simply nonsense. Flesh Golem is a reasonable standby. CttB! is perfectly usable and fills key functionality. Lich Form is the only element which doesn’t ‘work’, and that’s primarily a result of meta influences (dependent on projectiles in a projectile-hate meta).

Entirely disagree. Plague is monstrously strong when you are playing a build appropriate for it; strong enough that its related trait (Chilling Darkness) received a nerf at the pre-HoT balance patch.

Chilling Darkness wasn’t nerfed because of Plague. It was because of the equally crap Well of Darkness, which combined Chilling Darkness and the newly created Bitter Chill to make WvW necro bombing extremely powerful. And it was a long time before the pre-HoT nerfs took place. July 9th 2015 – My least favourite Necro patch to date.

edit: but back on topic. Plague is powerful in certain situations. PvP for stomping and tanking a spike. And WvW for line breaking and exactly the same as pvp.

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Requiem.1865

Requiem.1865

Yeah a lot of people tested elite skill on necro and now the humain Reaper of Grenth are one of the favorite for PVE so it meam most of the necro elite are useless now… so WAKE UP ANET. At least they should put like bleeding stack on Flesh golem when hit or something or boost Plague for PVE cause now the viper warrior will be back again in meta i know ANet jeezze on warrior can you stop buff them and look other class please.

MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Daigotsu Yajinden.2695

Daigotsu Yajinden.2695

2 elite ideas.

Signet of Dhuum

Pasive: Improves boon duration on you.

Active: Corrupt all boons on yourself, for each boon corrupted for .X sec, each time you suffer non-condition damage, you gain X life force instead.

Well of Void

Pulse 1s
Duration Xs
Range: 600
First pulse pulls foes in range into it.
Each pulse X damage plus chills and torment.