Can Strength Soldier be viable in WvW?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bierzgal.2341

Bierzgal.2341

Hi all. Ok, so here’s the thing. A came back after 3 years of absence. A lot of things changed and I’m trying to wrap my head around them.

I need an idea for a WvW Roaming Reaper build. Everyone tells me to go either full condi or hybrid. Thing is, I dislike full condi so it’s a 100% “no”. Hybrid sounds fine, I play hybrid in sPvP and it works nicely. At first I was thinking about something like that:

- http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBLhZ6kZTozGscTwyGgeTsgLYQXtAwCgKN0GiWxVxv4YE-T1xFABJcKAaTfQfKBVU9HAeCAIt/QTK/IFgfKrA-w

But then it struck me… How about the pre-patch Strength Soidler build from sPvP?

- http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhZ6kZTozGsbTwyGgeTsgLYxVxuYYE6qFAWAUph2wzC-T1xFABis/QVKBB4JAkwpAYQ1fOTfwRK/IFwFLjA-w
(I’m still on the fence between Chilling Victory vs. Decimate Defenses)

I remember this build doing really fine for me. The survivability looks great, it should hit pretty hard (especially with food and sharp stone). Can it be viable or shoud I just join the long list of hybrid chillmancers?

Thanks in advance.
-B

[EDIT] Fixed the weapon on Hybrid build.

(edited by Bierzgal.2341)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

That strength soldier build on metabattle was never a viable build. Anything uses axe is pretty much terrible for PvP. The only reason it was on metabattle is because noscoc used it once in a tournament, and this was when chill damage didn’t receive its buff and blighters boon didn’t receive its nerf. People were still figuring builds out at the time but because he used it, it was put on there. It’s a bad build, especially with blighters boon nerf.

Note: I didn’t click the link, I just remember the strength soldier build on metabattle.

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

(edited by Jelzouki.4128)

in Necromancer

Bierzgal.2341

Note: I didn’t click the link, I just remember the strength soldier build on metabattle.

Then please do click the links. Why would you not check them before posting anything in the first place? The build I posted is not exactly the same (I pretty much detest Axe). I just used the name cause it bare a lot of similarities (you got to name a build somehow). I’m also not one to mindlessly copy/paste a build. I like to give it my own spin and try to understand what might be good. Plus, the question is about WvW, not sPvP. Two different worlds imo.

I might be horribly wrong about all this tho, that’s why I’m asking. Is it even worth trying Soldier or should I just go Hybrid like most. Buying/crafting WvW gear is not as simple as clicking a different amulet on sPvP in mater of 2 seconds. One needs to choose a direction.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Why would you use dagger instead of scepter though? Even more so when you have 1500+ condi damage and only 1700ish power. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Also Plague Signet is not viable in WvW because if you are in a group of say 15 people you will implode.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Necromancer

Bierzgal.2341

Why would you use dagger instead of scepter though? Even more so when you have 1500+ condi damage and only 1700ish power. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

You are… 100% correct. This is actually my bad. I was doing the Soldier build first and then edited into the hybrid one. Forgot to change the dagger for a scepter. Thanks for noticing. It’s fixed now.

As for the Plague Signet. This build is supposed to be for small-scale WvW roaming. 1v1s, 3v3s etc. If I ever join a blob/zerg (and most of the time I don’t) I go as a full-dps Berserker Well Bomber.

Still. My question stands. Can Soldier be viable in WvW small-scale roaming.? In sPvP it does not exist anymore. I do think it was a more than decent build pre-patch (but not in the exact version that was on MetaBattle). The WvW version has A LOT more survivability than the WvW Signet Chiller. It hits nice too (tho I might check both builds with a dps meter first).

Thing is at this particular moment, I can afford to go only one way (my laurels and crafting materials are limited). Thats why I’m asking more experienced players than me.

Cheers.