Can we get a better damage GM reaper trait?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

So currently the 3 grandmaster reaper traits are:
Sustain (blighters boon)
Condi (deathly chill)
Damage (reaper’s onslaught)

Now you may ask “what is wrong with Reaper’s Onslaught?” if you’re wanting to go full dps. The problem is, currently the highest direct dps we can do is by camping greatsword. Sadly the best trait to take is the condition trait, which I don’t think is how Anet meant power reaper to be played.
So can we have something that allows us to fulfill our apparent role as the “selfish dps class”? Either that or allow Quickness to stack with other attack speed buffs (which is a topic for another day).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Reaper’s onslaught is really good in PvE and dungeon rush, granting you to continuously active your reaper skills. In theory, our dps with that trait is really high against hordes of mobs.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Actually, just watched a wooden potatoes video about a support build that uses that trait, and in it he explains several flaws of that trait. The trait only procs on enemies that grant xp (there are many enemies in dungeons/fractals that don’t reward xp to prevent from being farmed), if you kill something while using one of the channeled skills, the trait won’t affect that skill, and it will work poorly in fights where there are not alot of mobs to kill. There is also the issue that you have to be camping in reaper’s shroud to make use of this trait, which would be a dps loss from camping greatsword.

So in all actuality, the trait doesn’t really help much at all. The OP is right, the trait definitely needs some improvements.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Necromancer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Actually, just watched a wooden potatoes video about a support build that uses that trait, and in it he explains several flaws of that trait. The trait only procs on enemies that grant xp (there are many enemies in dungeons/fractals that don’t reward xp to prevent from being farmed), if you kill something while using one of the channeled skills, the trait won’t affect that skill, and it will work poorly in fights where there are not alot of mobs to kill. There is also the issue that you have to be camping in reaper’s shroud to make use of this trait, which would be a dps loss from camping greatsword.

So in all actuality, the trait doesn’t really help much at all. The OP is right, the trait definitely needs some improvements.

Those are all fair points. I think then it needs some behind-the-scenes changes to fix these particular issues, but aside from that, I’d want this trait to remain.

Also, many people use Deathly Chill on power builds as a straight up dps increase, since you blast out chills by simply existing (i exaggerate, but not much). You don’t have to trait for condi to make use of that trait.

in Necromancer

Posted by: kakumbien.8047

kakumbien.8047

Those are all fair points. I think then it needs some behind-the-scenes changes to fix these particular issues, but aside from that, I’d want this trait to remain.

Also, many people use Deathly Chill on power builds as a straight up dps increase, since you blast out chills by simply existing (i exaggerate, but not much). You don’t have to trait for condi to make use of that trait.

Are you serious about using deathly chill in power builds ? Seriously ? What ?

Bone Horn (Charr Engineer)
Bone Fighter (Minionmaster Necro)
Kakumvale (Conditioner Necro)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

Both might and vulnurability increase condition damage along with power. In power builds you also pump a lot more chill than condi. Not that I don’t agree with you, but there isn’t anything better in GM for straight damage.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

This is my point. If you want to max out your power reaper damage, you take a trait designed purely for condition builds.
Reaper’s Onslaught needs to be revamped or replaced with something that aids our power damage more. They can keep the trait if need be and make it master tier, removing the awful Soul Eater, then adding something useful to Grandmaster.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

The other traits are 100% useless for a power build. You should never actually enter RS unless you have to use RS2 for mobility or to soak damage. It’s a massive dps loss compared to GS auto above 50% and Gravedigger sub 50%.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraav.8136

Kraav.8136

Reaper’s Onslaught needs the first sentence changed to this:

Attack faster while in reaper’s shroud or while a greatsword is equipped.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

The trait is fine if it’s used the eay its intended. Even when they previews the spec they said the idea behind it was to kill something and then quickly move into the next.

It’s essentially an open world trait and at that it works well. In the new maps most if not all event mobs give experience so it’s not an issue. It needs to be retconed though into other maps.

Also @Kraav it’s a trait specific to shroud it won’t / shouldn’t increase the attack speed of GS. If anything is going to happen to GS it has to be part of the GS trait since ATM it’s underpreforming as having a 3 valid option in that tier is good for making the player make trade offs.

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

The trait is fine if it’s used the eay its intended. Even when they previews the spec they said the idea behind it was to kill something and then quickly move into the next.

It’s essentially an open world trait and at that it works well. In the new maps most if not all event mobs give experience so it’s not an issue. It needs to be retconed though into other maps.

Also @Kraav it’s a trait specific to shroud it won’t / shouldn’t increase the attack speed of GS. If anything is going to happen to GS it has to be part of the GS trait since ATM it’s underpreforming as having a 3 valid option in that tier is good for making the player make trade offs.

Given how Attack speed traits work, they should just be replaced with a damage buff or they should be allowed to stack with quickness.
Making Soul Eater viable would be a good idea, especially for organised groups whereby you have no need of might generation (chilling victory) and have your crit change capped without Decimate Defenses. However Deathly Chill would still be the most viable power option, unless they buffed the damage on reaper’s shroud or (as i suggested above) they gave Reaper’s Onslaught a damage buff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Aside from the support for this already stated, I will state that you need to not limit your thinking on the potential usefulness of traits. Saying “well that trait is obviously for X type of build” keeps you from seeing some of the possibilities out there. Deathly Chill is a pure dps increase, even without condi damage stat, because you are already pumping out chill anyways. It just takes something you are already doing and adding damage to it. No break in rotations, no change in skill use, here’s some extra damage for zero effort.

Also, RS is actually often used for the #5-#4 combo (to whomever said RS is useless aside from #2).

in Necromancer

Lahmia.2193

Aside from the support for this already stated, I will state that you need to not limit your thinking on the potential usefulness of traits. Saying “well that trait is obviously for X type of build” keeps you from seeing some of the possibilities out there. Deathly Chill is a pure dps increase, even without condi damage stat, because you are already pumping out chill anyways. It just takes something you are already doing and adding damage to it. No break in rotations, no change in skill use, here’s some extra damage for zero effort.

Also, RS is actually often used for the #5-#4 combo (to whomever said RS is useless aside from #2).

Its funny how people so often overlook the one damage type when spec’ing for the other. Even 0 condi damage bleeds are still a dps boost.