Changes to Dark Armor and SotL

in Necromancer

Posted by: AnonMD.7263

AnonMD.7263

So I posted something about changing these two in general profession balancing, and just wanted to mention it here, and see if people like it.

For Dark Armor, add in stability for a few seconds(1-5) when channeling, and set it on a cd.

For SotL, remove ms bonus, have it increase siphon effects(Like Bloodthirsty), and give it an initial heal that scales down based on the number on enemies around you, where the more there are, the less you receive.

EDIT: The proposed initial heal on SotL is in addition to the one already there, making the signet useful in almost any situation when your normal heal is on cd.

(edited by AnonMD.7263)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

On Dark Armor: Yes. Would be an excellent addition.

On SotL: Are you out of your mind? That’s the way to utterly kill the signet. Giving it a useless passive and nerfing the already weak active is a horrid plan.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Locust passive is fine as is, its the active that needs fixing (there have been plenty of ideas).

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

AnonMD.7263

I’m saying that the initial heal is added with the already existing heal, that way the signet is always useful regardless of the number of enemies. Also, the signet buffs itself. That’s just… Great.

(edited by AnonMD.7263)

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

where the more there are, the less you receive.

It should be the exact opposite. Double or tripple the healing amount with every additional opponent.
One of the things necros desperately need is better healing and scaling with increased numbers of opponents. Reducing the healing amount in that situation would be absolutely counterproductive, although I don’t think this issue should be solved by buffing a single utility skill.

I somewhat agree and disagree with changing the passive bonus in general, because:
The only viable use this signet currently has is moving faster in cities or jumping puzzles. As soon as you’re in combat it is nothing but a wasted utility slot. Yes, you see a lot of people using it in both WvW and sPvP, but they are actually handicapping themselves.
So, should the signet be changed?
1. Yes, because atm it’s absolute garbage.
2. No, because that way it’ll take 2 sec longer for people to run from the mystic forge to their crafting station.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I somewhat agree and disagree with changing the passive bonus in general, because:
The only viable use this signet currently has is moving faster in cities or jumping puzzles. As soon as you’re in combat it is nothing but a wasted utility slot. Yes, you see a lot of people using it in both WvW and sPvP, but they are actually handicapping themselves.
So, should the signet be changed?
1. Yes, because atm it’s absolute garbage.
2. No, because that way it’ll take 2 sec longer for people to run from the mystic forge to their crafting station.

Movement speed has its uses in battle, I use this signet a lot in battle and out of it. Hell I even chased someone with it in wvw. So no the passive is fine.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

Movement speed has its uses in battle, I use this signet a lot in battle and out of it. Hell I even chased someone with it in wvw. So no the passive is fine.

Like I said, you’re wasting a slot…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

My thoughts:
Change Dark Armor (and crossclass equivalents) to apply a defensive boon when something happens, rather than grant additional toughness. These traits are weird and smelly because they’ve got awkward, or completely absent, interactions with skills.

Change Signet of the Locust active to this:
30 second cooldown
Instant cast
Damage: 158
Healing: 932 (0.24)
Radius: 480
Breaks stuns

The damage/healing/radius numbers are ripped straight from wiki.

The CD is INSANELY high for what the ability does. For the pitiful active effect that it currently has, it should be a third of what it is now.

Instant cast- again, it’s a pitiful effect. It doesn’t demand a 3/4 sec cast time.

Breaking stuns fills an immediate need, and gives the signet a solid use as a generalist signet. A necro can always use 25% movement speed, and a necro can always use a stunbreaker. Just by doing this, it already has a good place in any build.

It does have its uses, but the passive being solid doesn’t make up for the active going to complete waste.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

(edited by Sarrs.4831)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Using traveler/speed runes is always better than using sotl for necros even if the rest gained from the runes is useless for your build simply because we have utility skills that are too good to give up compared to some stats…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

So I posted something about changing these two in general profession balancing, and just wanted to mention it here, and see if people like it.

For Dark Armor, add in stability for a few seconds(1-5) when channeling, and set it on a cd.

For SotL, remove ms bonus, have it increase siphon effects(Like Bloodthirsty), and give it an initial heal that scales down based on the number on enemies around you, where the more there are, the less you receive.

I don’t like the idea of setting the stability on a CD, because it makes you feel like you can’t use channeling abilities until you need stability, otherwise you waste the stability for the next several channels. Just “feels” bad to me. I like the spirit of stability while channeling, though.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

AnonMD.7263

where the more there are, the less you receive.

It should be the exact opposite. Double or tripple the healing amount with every additional opponent.
One of the things necros desperately need is better healing and scaling with increased numbers of opponents. Reducing the healing amount in that situation would be absolutely counterproductive, although I don’t think this issue should be solved by buffing a single utility skill.

As I stated earlier, the initial heal would be in addition to the one already there.

I don’t like the idea of setting the stability on a CD, because it makes you feel like you can’t use channeling abilities until you need stability, otherwise you waste the stability for the next several channels. Just “feels” bad to me. I like the spirit of stability while channeling, though.

Well, I said it should be on a CD because I knew somebody would yell “OP!” and be done with it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bellamy.9860

Bellamy.9860

How about:

Dark armor: Gain Stability and retal when a channeling skill is interrupted. 3 sec duration, 20 sec cooldown.

and

SotL: leave the passive as it is, active: Leap to your target, stealing life from it and nearby enemies. Way more like a “locust” and would give some mobility (finally).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

How about:

Dark armor: Gain Stability and retal when a channeling skill is interrupted. 3 sec duration, 20 sec cooldown.

and

SotL: leave the passive as it is, active: Leap to your target, stealing life from it and nearby enemies. Way more like a “locust” and would give some mobility (finally).

Dark Armor – would be really strong PvP/WvW

SotL – love this

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

hey, having an off day, but have they ever implemented changes on traits, etc that players have suggested? i’ve given up hope of having an impact on the devs, as i kitten they don’t take into account the players who actually play the necros, aside from 1-2 elite guys.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

hey, having an off day, but have they ever implemented changes on traits, etc that players have suggested? i’ve given up hope of having an impact on the devs, as i kitten they don’t take into account the players who actually play the necros, aside from 1-2 elite guys.

Yes. Both of the new Death magic minors were player suggestions from a thread on this subforum. Torment was as well.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Yes, actually.

Terror (as it is now) was a Nemesis idea
Dhuumfire was based on many Necromancer ideas (the need for burning, not necessarily its exact implementation)
PotH/Reanimator combining into other minion traits
Vital Persistance’s effectiveness increase
Weakening Shroud’s current functionality
Axe Training dropping to Master tier
The combination of the signet traits
The things Drarnor listed

There may be others but I remember those specifically, and those are just traits, there have been some other changes (like increasing base size of staff marks, addition of a unique animation on Reaper’s Mark, and others). ANet doesn’t actually get enough credit for listening to the community as much as they do, because its easy to forget these situations and easy to remember ones that make them look bad.

Also, people tend to forget that the Necromancer isn’t the only community that has valid input on Necromancers. Sometimes we get completely justified nerfs (like the one to Corrupt Boon) that were not necessarily our idea, but was still a player idea.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

As I said … Off day. I stand corrected