Concept for Main Hand Sword

in Necromancer

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Just a little concept I’ve been dabbling with.

Why?

First of all, it always bothered me that the Necromancer couldn’t use a sword. Swords are among the most iconic necromancer weapons, right after staves and scythes (generally used as a staff). I always wondered how a one handed sword would work for Necros in this game (if at all).

Additionally Necros have, in my opinion, a severe flaw in their current weapon selection: They have 0 weapons with cleave, and their one melee weapon is single-target, low mobility and power spec only.

So my idea was to give Necros a new melee weapon. One with cleave and that can be used as both condition and power spec. One that could provide an inherently high synergy with both, and with the off hand weapons, without becoming overpowered or “doing everything”. Conceptually it’s inspired in both the Warrior’s sword and the Necro’s scepter.

So without further ado…

The Weapon

Warning: All values are theory-crafted and eyeballed. Final values would depend on testing and posterior adjustments.

As a one handed sword, this weapon only has 3 skills, leaving the final 2 skill open for off hand weapons.

1 skill – Auto-attack chain

• Crimson Cut
    Slash and bleed your foe.
    Damage: 202 (0.7 power scaling)
    Bleeding: 4 s (1 stack)
    Range: 130 (standard melee range)
    Startup: 1/2

V

• Blood Reaping
    Slash and bleed your foe.
    Damage: 202 (0.7 power scaling)
    Bleeding: 4 s (1 stack)

V

• Dark Touch
    Strike and poison your foe.
    Damage: 202 (0.8 power scaling)
    Poison: 4 s (1 stack)

Animation: Visuals could re-use the Warrior’s sword chain animation, with Necro’s scepter timing. If you really wanted to go through the extra work, you could add a small black and green glow to the sword during swings.

Explanation: Pretty much a melee version of the Scepter’s auto-attack, with decent power scaling (but low base damage). As far as condition damage goes I’d say the Necro’s Scepter is in a pretty good place, so I figure I’d start with that, but give it an appropriate power scaling. Base damage is relatively low, similar to Warrior’s Sword, but the scaling is slightly (0.1 to 0.2) better (we don’t get quick weapon switching or Final Thrust to make up for it, and our bleeds aren’t as long).

Considerably lower than the Dagger’s 0.9, 0.7 and 1.2 scalings, as well as lower base damage, but we do get bleeds and poison to compensate as well as cleaving.

2 skill

• Nether Walk
    Defy space and time, transversing the netherworld to your enemy, blinding enemies on departure and arrival.
    Damage: 250 (0.75 power scaling)
    Blind: 6 s (1 stack)
    Range: 900
    Startup: 1/4 (the least possible, just so it can be used while stunned)
    Cooldown: 8 s

Note 1: Can be done targeted, to a player or untargeted, using ground targeting.
Note 2: The blind at the start and end of the blink is “instant”, it’s not a “on-going blind field” kind of thing. It blinds up to 5 people around the start and end of the blink only the moment it’s used.

Animation: A basic “blink” type move, with a small particle dark cloud at the start and finish. Think of a “poof” type thing. Like Nightcrawler.

Explanation: Movement skill. Essential for a melee weapon such as this. Essentially a savage leap that is a blink instead of a leap (Note that wile Savage Leap says 600 range, it’s actually 900 range on the leap itself. 600 is the range on the hit). Why? Simply put Necros have terrible mobility. If they have to rely almost entirely on one skill for it, it needs to be kitten effective. Blinks are faster and less susceptible to movement impairing skills. The blind on start and finish is for extra defensive purposes as well as synergy with the Chilling Darkness trait.

1/2

in Necromancer

ProxyDamage.9826

3 skill

• Unholy Ground
    Curse the ground you stand on, corrupting 2 boons on nearby enemies and chilling foes that stand in the area
    Damage: 400 (1.5 power scaling)
    Chill: 1 s (1 stack per second for 5 seconds)
    Radius: 360
    Range: 600
    Combo Field: Ice
    Duration: 5 seconds (how long it “pulses” the 1 second of chill)
    Startup: 1/4 (character is immobilized during the cast, movement interrupts cast)
    Cooldown: 15 s

Note: The boon corruption and damage only happen “on cast” the pulses are for the chill only.

Animation: A mix of the Mesmer’s Mind Stab “ground stab” animation, with Unholy Feast’s special effect (the green AoE circle and “biting” SFX). Alternatively, using the Guardian’s “ground slam with the palm of their hand” animation instead of the Mesmer’s “ground stab”.

Explanation: The sword’s “burst” skill. High power scaling, converts two boons to conditions, and leaves a “chilling field” for 5 seconds. Sort of like a well effect, but without being a well. Like some Orian mages/priests do.

Before you start calling “OP”, the power scaling is a meager 0.3 over Putrid Mark’s. Level 1 eviscerate is 2.0 (level 3 is 3.0). 1.5 is a Final Thrust when the enemy is over 50%. It’s strong, but it’s hardly going to “one-shot” anyone. On the other hand it’s a radial skill with 600 range, and you get some nice utility to make up for it. Given that the Necro is a class of attrition it felt more consistent to give him better attrition tools and some burst instead of pure burst. Additionally, if you’re not a power build this skill doesn’t really do much damage, seeing as the base damage is relatively low.

Dual boon corruption is useful for any build, but specifically favors condition necros since it can not only remove troublesome boons (such as stability) but also convert them into damaging conditions.

The chill is an additional way to stick to your target, useful for any build with a sword. Remember, we’re melee here, this is on a 15 second cooldown, and we don’t get an auto-cripple on the attack chain or the leap like the war. Besides, the chill is only useful so long as the target stays in the AoE, so they can roll/blink out of it and they only get 1 second of chill. Hardly the worst thing in the world.

Why ice field? Fits thematically, and it gives us one more combo field to play with. If you’re using a staff you can get some chilling attacks, or use putrid mark’s blast finisher for an AoE Frost Armour. A neat bonusif you’re willing to sacrifice putrid marks for it (or have someone else blast finish).

Synergies with off-hands:

• Focus: #4 would come with extra power damage and boon removal, giving you up to 5 boons removed (2 converted, 3 removed) and #5 would give you a priceless extra chill to help you stick to your target. Very good for power builds.
  • Dagger: #4 gives you some condi transferal (always useful) and a blind (helps melee a lot), while #5 would give you some extra bleeds and weakness. Would also become easier to hit since you’d be in melee with your opponents. Good for condi builds.
  • Warhorn: A long daze and swiftness with a cripple would go well for either power or condi builds.

Potential traits:

Honestly, I think this could do without traits. If any, I’d consider one trait

Sword Mastery.
Master Tier (Curses tree? Maybe?)
Critical hits with sword grant 1% life force and 2 s cripple
Cooldown: 4 s

Almost 50% cripple up time would be make it very difficult to get away from the necro. Lots of room to fiddle around with this one though. Longer cripples (and life force generation), but with a longer cooldown would make it easier to remove, but much more painful if you find yourself without condi removal.

And that’s basically it. Keep in mind that, again, all values are eye balled, and a lot of things could be easily adjustable to fix practically any imbalance.

Thoughts?

2/2

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

1. Same as scepter, why would i go to melee? As a melee weapon it should do more (direct) damage, which wouldnt happen with the same condition application it has.
2. Mobility is 100% we wont ever get. End of story.
3. OP.

2/10, wouldnt implement.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

instead of bleeds on the aa change it to torment so they will have to stay within melee range or they will take extra dmg.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in Necromancer

ProxyDamage.9826

instead of bleeds on the aa change it to torment so they will have to stay within melee range or they will take extra dmg.

Something I’ve considered. However, changing both bleeds to torment would be potentially ridiculously OP. Keep in mind that movement is very important in this game, and so long as they were moving they’d be tagged for 3 bleeds each torment… That’s a lot of damage. Maybe Bleed on the first attack, torment on the second? Or torment on the last instead/with of poison? Again, testing dependent.

1. Same as scepter, why would i go to melee? As a melee weapon it should do more (direct) damage, which wouldnt happen with the same condition application it has.
2. Mobility is 100% we wont ever get. End of story.
3. OP.

2/10, wouldnt implement.

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

I was serious. Sorry.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

i dont think we will ever get a melee cleave weapon…cause who would use dagger or axe then as mh? and a condi cleave melee weap would be crazy with epidemic…absolute aoe

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i dont think we will ever get a melee cleave weapon…cause who would use dagger or axe then as mh? and a condi cleave melee weap would be crazy with epidemic…absolute aoe

yeah i mean why not just give aoe melee conditions to warrior forever. i don’t see the concept presented as overpowered at all. were it given to the thief class, the ‘op’ objection would be 200% correct.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

Every build you choose you get plenty of options to doing aoe (cap at 5 enemy) instead of cleave / splash (cap at 3 enemy). Except MH dagger, but you would use that with maybe wells, DS and warhorn. Aoe all over the place, even if its just burst sometimes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Dagger would probably still remain best for single targets. A cleave weapon however would solve the problem we have with clearing trash mobs.

I dont think it should have any damaging condis on it. It should be purely a power/control weapon. If and when we do get a cleave weapon. Im hoping for atleast 1 or 2 high burst aoe skills + a decent dps cleave auto. That way we could have a more interesting dps rotation and also get some pretty good mob clearing abilities.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I honestly don’t think we need an melee condition damage weapon at all, and certainly not a hybrid. We could use melee power cleave, melee control (like a hammer), but unless there was some significant benefit to using it, why would I use a melee condition weapon when our ranged ones do the same thing but better (condi necro is far from lacking in AoE).

Also, the 2 skill will never, ever, even in the craziest peyote induced vision, exist on Necro. Targeted (only) movement is fine, but we will not see it with an untargeted version.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

I honestly don’t think we need an melee condition damage weapon at all, and certainly not a hybrid. We could use melee power cleave, melee control (like a hammer), but unless there was some significant benefit to using it, why would I use a melee condition weapon when our ranged ones do the same thing but better (condi necro is far from lacking in AoE).

Also, the 2 skill will never, ever, even in the craziest peyote induced vision, exist on Necro. Targeted (only) movement is fine, but we will not see it with an untargeted version.

Thematically, doesn’t a sword make more sense as a condition weapon though? I’m all for necros getting a control power weapon, but a sword cuts. That implies bleeding of some sort. As for a control power weapon a mace similar to this would make sense.

Mace 1 auto attack chain (I’m not gonna try to name each attack):
1st and 2nd attacks would be effectively the same skill with a half second cast time simply cleaving and doing direct damage. 3rd would apply vulnerability, weakness, or some soft cc and have a one second cast.

Mace 2: Big hitting attack. Necros need a big hitting melee cleave attack.

Mace 3: Your hard cc, knockdown or stun in a small aoe area.

I’m not against necromancers getting sword, but in terms of the theme of a sword I think it should be condition weapon.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Lightsbane.9012

Thematically, doesn’t a sword make more sense as a condition weapon though? I’m all for necros getting a control power weapon, but a sword cuts. That implies bleeding of some sort. As for a control power weapon a mace similar to this would make sense.

Mace 1 auto attack chain (I’m not gonna try to name each attack):
1st and 2nd attacks would be effectively the same skill with a half second cast time simply cleaving and doing direct damage. 3rd would apply vulnerability, weakness, or some soft cc and have a one second cast.

Mace 2: Big hitting attack. Necros need a big hitting melee cleave attack.

Mace 3: Your hard cc, knockdown or stun in a small aoe area.

I’m not against necromancers getting sword, but in terms of the theme of a sword I think it should be condition weapon.

man, a great sword cuts and so does an axe. how many of those bleed? in fact i’d argue that an axe causes more bleeding(ranger axe 2 aside)
point in fact we do need a dps cleave weapon and i have a feeling it will be spear or a greatsword that functions like spear. (dark spear replaced with dark blade and performs same way)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

no more condi weapons, for pete’s sake.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Basically every weapon that physically hit the target would cause bleeding, by that thought process. You don’t beat someone to death without there being a lot of bleeding involved.

Sword definitely makes sense as a condition damage weapon, but it needs a lot more than simply being a condition damage weapon to make it worthwhile. I can chill at 900 range as a condi Necro and put out the highest AoE condition pressure in the game already, so why would I want to get to 120 range to do it?

Sword would need some significant niche to its use besides just being a good condition damage weapon, or it will be overshadowed by scepter (or overpowered).

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Basically every weapon that physically hit the target would cause bleeding, by that thought process. You don’t beat someone to death without there being a lot of bleeding involved.

Sword definitely makes sense as a condition damage weapon, but it needs a lot more than simply being a condition damage weapon to make it worthwhile. I can chill at 900 range as a condi Necro and put out the highest AoE condition pressure in the game already, so why would I want to get to 120 range to do it?

Sword would need some significant niche to its use besides just being a good condition damage weapon, or it will be overshadowed by scepter (or overpowered).

I guess my point is that a sword is sharp and a hammer or mace is blunt. Doesn’t really matter to much. The reason to go to 120 range would be increased damage. Generally speaking that is why melee is stronger than ranged in games. That or a strong utility of some sort. I don’t think a condition weapon having 125% the damage of a scepter would be overpowered because you could be kited and would be more vulnerable in general. At the same time I certainly don’t want a melee replica of the scepter. If we got a melee condition weapon then I would hope it would be oriented towards a tanky condition spec that worked well with siphons or death shroud. Generating good healing and having decent hard cc. I’m all for any melee weapons right now though because necros have 1-3 condition skills, dagger auto, axe 3, and warhorn 5. Everything else is at least 600 ranged and it needs to change.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

First of all, it always bothered me that the Necromancer couldn’t use a sword. Swords are among the most iconic necromancer weapons, right after staves and scythes (generally used as a staff). I always wondered how a one handed sword would work for Necros in this game (if at all).

I’m wondering where you see a necromancer using a sword? From the cannons that I’ve seen and the historic version of the necromancers suggest no such connection. But then again, the sword seems to be connected with everything because it is far more iconic then the necromancer ever was and ever will be.

I’ve seen more examples of necromancers using Maces and flails over swords. But even that is rare. Scythes are not specifically iconic for the necromancer and more so with death. Aside from staffs and scepters the most iconic weapon a necromancer has, and I would argue that its even more iconic to them then even the staff is would be a Grimoire

And I would be all for a Grimoire, aka Tome for the necromancer.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Echoplex.6284

Echoplex.6284

I’m wondering where you see a necromancer using a sword? From the cannons that I’ve seen and the historic version of the necromancers suggest no such connection. But then again, the sword seems to be connected with everything because it is far more iconic then the necromancer ever was and ever will be.

I’ve seen more examples of necromancers using Maces and flails over swords. But even that is rare. Scythes are not specifically iconic for the necromancer and more so with death. Aside from staffs and scepters the most iconic weapon a necromancer has, and I would argue that its even more iconic to them then even the staff is would be a Grimoire

unfortunately in gw2 books are trinkets and scrolls are foci..XD

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

Doesn’t really mean anything. They could still make a Tome if they so desired.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

They could easily make tome weapons, and it’d probably be one of the easier jobs, with how simple the weapon-making would be.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Lightsbane.9012

so a more focused focus. okay. i’m gonna go ahead and say that guild wars 2 is a game that for me, broke ‘class’ stereotypes. so i think saying a weapon like sword on a necromancer being out of the question is ludicrous.

in Necromancer

Lily.1935

so a more focused focus. okay. i’m gonna go ahead and say that guild wars 2 is a game that for me, broke ‘class’ stereotypes. so i think saying a weapon like sword on a necromancer being out of the question is ludicrous.

Do note that I never said a sword was out of the question. I never even said I was against the idea.

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

I have always fancied a necro mh sword, but honestly thin it should focus on power. In particular, look at the thief sword, it has a bit higher damage/scaling and has the nasty weakness + cripple on the last hit. Necro is a condi class, of course that doesn’t mean it needs to be condition damage. So if you scrap the bleeds/poison and add a little bit of LF gain + weakness and/or cripple, the auto would be pretty lovely. If nothing else, the auto does need LF gain to make it properly viable.

With the 2nd skill, they will never, ever, give us a ground targetted blink. Hell, they probbly wouldn’t give us a blink like the guardian sword, but that would atleast be more reasonable. Also 8 seconds seems a pretty short CD, especially considering most weapons have CD reduction traits, which would make it pretty powerful for me.

With the 3rd skill just to clarify, is it a ground targetted AOE or not? You have a range, but the description suggests otherwise. Also with the pulsing effect, is that damage and chill, or just the chill, with damage on cast? I do love the idea of an ice field and any extra chill is always appreciated for any build. This skill might be a tad strong, not sure.

Overall however, currently your idea is a bit to hybrid-ish for my tastes – I don’t think it’s very efficient. Also there is no LF gain on any of these skills, only from your trait suggestion.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acheron.4576

Acheron.4576

Make it unique in the sense that it is a one hand but acts like a two hand for necro. The animation fighting style be similar to fencing. Make it an adaptable power weapon that can switch from mid range to melee.

1. a slashing movement that releases shock waves of shadow. If your in range deals avg range damage but when in melee it deals more damage due to the impact of the sword.
2. a aoe. does a spin into a stab which also has a similar trait for being in melee and creates a whirlwind of shadow the moves in a straight path until it hits the target.
3 deals several rapid stabs/multiple shots
4. a defense skill that creates a dark orb around the player that acts as a field creating darkness when attacked or release it to buff those around you with aegis.
5. a gap closer where the character will do a stabbing charge towards their target.

This setup makes it so mid range is viable but if you are willing to take the risk of getting close it will be more rewarding. also makes it possible to give some support with blind and aegis potential as well.

just a concept not worried about numbers since that can be figured out during balancing which is the devs job to take care of.