Condi minion reaper build (PVE) help

in Necromancer

Posted by: MikuMikuDesu.2415

MikuMikuDesu.2415

Hey guys, I need some help with this build I’m doing. I’m pretty new to necro and the one thing I’ve come to realize is I love using minions and I absolutely will not part with them cause they are my babies ;_;

I’m currently using ascended cavalier everything with power and toughness infusions on everything and I simply cannot come up with a damaging build centered around death magic. If I take blood magic, I can sustain and be tanky for a long time but minions do more damage. However I myself wont have any damage cause I cant crit for crap and utilize that crit damage to its fullest.

So I guess my question is, is it better to use rabid and act as fire support at range with scepter/staff, or maybe use sinister (I don’t want use sinister cause it seems like im really squishy in HoT unless of course you guys have a different opinion on the matter)? Hell maybe disregard crits entirely and use settler and just act as motherbase for minions and heal those jagged horrors with RS#4 (lol).

I’ve been messing around with this build on the site, but I haven’t put it into practice because I don’t want to waste money switching to rabid or whatever without a second opinion.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWnM0AdbiN1Ae1As3glgBT6EkCKBxFxlYUMKBEAiAA-TxRFABOp8DgnAQjq/IwpAAO9Bps/QWKBDAcAsbdr7uBWe5lXe5lb3dXe3l3NA-e

Or maybe swap curses with blood magic?

Any help/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arcades Saboth.5139

Arcades Saboth.5139

Minions and Conditions don’t fits really well. This build is my suggestion.
This combinations will give you a lot of toughness (almost 2k) which is also increased for every minions you have on your control but also you don’t sacrifice power.
I added the rune I’m using but left the sigils and the agony infusions, this is up to your stile.

Two notes:
As you can see I don’t rely much on Might and I prefer raw damage, if you prefer the boon you may want to switch Bone Minions or Bone Fiend to You Are All Weaklings, which is better, in my opinion and fits better with Augury of Death, if you do this you may want to switch runes as well.

Don’t use Blood Fiend: this build is focused on using the Greatsword and having the minions as additional damage/toughness but the Blood Fiend doesn’t heal as much as the shout in close combat.

Minions doesn’t really adds anything to a Condition build except, maybe, Death Nova, but you also sacrifice a lot to have that trait.

(edited by Arcades Saboth.5139)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kaliban.9386

Kaliban.9386

Here’s a build I used to run:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRUQNAR3dnM0AdbiN1Ae1As3gFqBTKAUyGWxfwS4KkqEUDuUA-TBBXgAA7PK/C1N0r+zjSQA-e

The zerker gear and the Reaper trait gives you lots of DPS while the Death Magic trait gives you toughness from your minions. Then there’s the Soul Reaping trait for more survivability. Very deadly and still very tanky.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Hey guys, I need some help with this build I’m doing. I’m pretty new to necro and the one thing I’ve come to realize is I love using minions and I absolutely will not part with them cause they are my babies ;_;

I’m currently using ascended cavalier everything with power and toughness infusions on everything and I simply cannot come up with a damaging build centered around death magic. If I take blood magic, I can sustain and be tanky for a long time but minions do more damage. However I myself wont have any damage cause I cant crit for crap and utilize that crit damage to its fullest.

If you want to run conditions, you need to use condition damage equipment. It’s just that simple. Scepter/Dagger is a legit weapon set, but it absolutely does not work without significant condition damage.

Also, full Cavalier (in addition to being extreme overkill on Toughness, IMO) will leave you without any crit chance, which is a problem because you’ll have essentially left yourself with only one damage stat (Ferocity is entirely useless without significant crit chance to access it). I assume you’ve been taking Decimate Defenses to compensate? If not, that would explain your lack of damage even more.

So I guess my question is, is it better to use rabid and act as fire support at range with scepter/staff, or maybe use sinister (I don’t want use sinister cause it seems like im really squishy in HoT unless of course you guys have a different opinion on the matter)? Hell maybe disregard crits entirely and use settler and just act as motherbase for minions and heal those jagged horrors with RS#4 (lol).

Rabid armor will work much better for you than Cavalier in a condi build. There’s even a way to gear up with full Rabid equipment “for just 6 gold”: * coughcough shameless self-promotion cough *, so you could give it a try for relatively little investment if you’re unsure.

I’ve been messing around with this build on the site, but I haven’t put it into practice because I don’t want to waste money switching to rabid or whatever without a second opinion.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNArYWnM0AdbiN1Ae1As3glgBT6EkCKBxFxlYUMKBEAiAA-TxRFABOp8DgnAQjq/IwpAAO9Bps/QWKBDAcAsbdr7uBWe5lXe5lb3dXe3l3NA-e

That build should work fine. My only suggestions would be to swap out Blood Fiend for literally any other heal (Blood Fiend is honestly just terrible, even in MM builds) and swap Rise! for Epidemic. I know you want to run minions and I’m not going to tell you not to do that, but you’re still running a minion build with just 3 minion skills and you’ll feel much better with a heal that’s actually effective on your bar, as well as the single highest damage-potential player skill in the entire game. Seriously, a good Epidemic can literally deal hundreds of thousands of damage, outstripping even Ice Bow 4 pre-nerf.

Or maybe swap curses with blood magic?

That will make you tankier but I really think it’s overkill. Your minions should be helping to tank aggro for you so shouldn’t need to spec too much into defense. The problem you’re running into is you’re giving enemies way too much time to kill you, not that you’re too easy to kill. That’s part of why full Berserker’s armor is so popular: it reduces the duration of the fight significantly, so even if your enemies deal (say) twice as much damage to you, if you can kill them in one third the time you’re still ahead.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

in Necromancer

MikuMikuDesu.2415

Also, full Cavalier (in addition to being extreme overkill on Toughness, IMO) will leave you without any crit chance, which is a problem because you’ll have essentially left yourself with only one damage stat (Ferocity is entirely useless without significant crit chance to access it). I assume you’ve been taking Decimate Defenses to compensate? If not, that would explain your lack of damage even more.

Yeah I noticed that, I would hit like almost 3k toughness in shroud lol. Isn’t there like diminished returns on really high toughness?

Rabid armor will work much better for you than Cavalier in a condi build. There’s even a way to gear up with full Rabid equipment “for just 6 gold”: * coughcough shameless self-promotion cough *, so you could give it a try for relatively little investment if you’re unsure.

Ok cool ill try that.

That build should work fine. My only suggestions would be to swap out Blood Fiend for literally any other heal (Blood Fiend is honestly just terrible, even in MM builds) and swap Rise! for Epidemic. I know you want to run minions and I’m not going to tell you not to do that, but you’re still running a minion build with just 3 minion skills and you’ll feel much better with a heal that’s actually effective on your bar, as well as the single highest damage-potential player skill in the entire game. Seriously, a good Epidemic can literally deal hundreds of thousands of damage, outstripping even Ice Bow 4 pre-nerf.

Ah that solves my multiple target problem. In that case should I swap out a different minion, say bone fiend for it? I really like rise cause it almost gives 100% uptime for that 50% damage reduction and like 6 minions to work with.

That will make you tankier but I really think it’s overkill. Your minions should be helping to tank aggro for you so shouldn’t need to spec too much into defense. The problem you’re running into is you’re giving enemies way too much time to kill you, not that you’re too easy to kill. That’s part of why full Berserker’s armor is so popular: it reduces the duration of the fight significantly, so even if your enemies deal (say) twice as much damage to you, if you can kill them in one third the time you’re still ahead.

I’ve been invested in the zerker meta since like week 1 of game release 3 years ago lol, and I agree with you. However, as much as your point stands true about killing your enemy fast, at the same time, it can hold true the other way around. Like some lucky bugger 1 shots you, then wheres all the damage you can output? on your 1 skill throwing rocks or whatever downstate #1 skill does, thats where lol. In the end though, its mostly about one’s skill whether or not you will get downed. There are still times, however, that you cant help it. But yes for all of my classes I have zerker armor. This is the first time I had anything but.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ill try condi first to see if ill like it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Yeah I noticed that, I would hit like almost 3k toughness in shroud lol. Isn’t there like diminished returns on really high toughness?

Not precisely. Stacking Toughness will continue to give you the same increases in durability (against direct damage) no matter how much you add. While Toughness never loses efficiency, the more Toughness you have in relation to your Hit Points, the more efficient it becomes to stack HP instead of more Toughness. The ideal ration would be for HP = Armor *10.

Ah that solves my multiple target problem. In that case should I swap out a different minion, say bone fiend for it? I really like rise cause it almost gives 100% uptime for that 50% damage reduction and like 6 minions to work with.

It’s up to you. They should both work just fine.

I’ve been invested in the zerker meta since like week 1 of game release 3 years ago lol, and I agree with you. However, as much as your point stands true about killing your enemy fast, at the same time, it can hold true the other way around. Like some lucky bugger 1 shots you, then wheres all the damage you can output? on your 1 skill throwing rocks or whatever downstate #1 skill does, thats where lol. In the end though, its mostly about one’s skill whether or not you will get downed. There are still times, however, that you cant help it. But yes for all of my classes I have zerker armor. This is the first time I had anything but.

Yep. I personally don’t tend to like going full Zerker. I prefer to stand my ground and maintain DPS uptime rather than dodging everything, but I also don’t like going too tanky either. I aim for just enough bulk so I can get a few rotations off before having to retreat and lick my wounds.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Necromancer

MikuMikuDesu.2415

Not precisely. Stacking Toughness will continue to give you the same increases in durability (against direct damage) no matter how much you add. While Toughness never loses efficiency, the more Toughness you have in relation to your Hit Points, the more efficient it becomes to stack HP instead of more Toughness. The ideal ration would be for HP = Armor *10.

Ah, I see. In that case my having 3800 armor in shroud with 21k hp is probably not very efficient. xD

Thanks for the suggestions again.

in Necromancer

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

This is what I run in open world.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBhQD7khGobTspGwrGg9GsQNYTNgKwEQKAMAGWxfwS4KE-TBSBABccQA0TXwDPAAKV/xMlgXt/o8DPNOAcFAAA-e

You pretty much never die, particularly if you Nightfall before you enter shroud and Soul Spiral in the field, and do a ton of damage.

Dagger movement speed is also really nice for traveling.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Blood fiend is our best heal in PvE. Flesh golem is our best elite in PvE. Rise is potentially good for a death nova condi reaper build. Same goes for bone minions. Lich form for the jagged horrors is also a good idea for a death nova condi build because they inflict bleed on attack. But its a high cooldown elite so its more of a condi/power burst skill depending on what you are running.

Basically minions are good now. If you want to run condi and minions. Then i suggest focusing more on death nova and building around that. You can use RS4 and GS2 to whirl finish in the poison fields for bonus poison stacks. So theres potentially very high poison burst to be had. If you are build around that synergy then you want to gain more RS condi damage. So maybe drop blood for soul reaping and take dhuumfire + reaper’s onslaught.

I have no idea what the best way to build condi is right now. But i plan to work it out and include my findings when i get round to updating the dulfy guide.

(edited by spoj.9672)

in Necromancer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I doubt condi necro is any good in pve except soloing high armor mobs.
The difference between necro and other condi stuff like ranger and engi is self-sustaining damage. They don’t have burns almost at all(dhuumfire lol) while the other 2 just spam so many with bonfires, sun spirits, napalm, blowtorch etc.

This fact is “balanced” by their boon conversion and transfers. Both of those are garbage in pve.