Confused about a proper condition build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shadowcaster.9281

Shadowcaster.9281

Hi All,

Ok, so I’m coming over from WoW as a new necromancer and am very interested in doing a “dot” based build and my main focus is SPVP, which i realize is GW2 version of a regular BG (battleground, for those non WOW players).

From what I have read so far on various GW2 wiki’s, pages and forums, it would seem this this is pretty much a condition build (cause that what dot’s a called here right?). So stuff like bleeding and poison will come into play then i assume.

So, one of the first things i do after hitting level 12 (that’s when i found out about SPVP) is enter mists and tried out various combination of the builds i had researched. Although my primary weapons of choice still remain as scepter/dagger, I have always had issues with a staff secondary. Applying marks on moving targets is a pain + it leaves me vulnerable whilst having to stand and channel necrotic grip.

I then came across nemesis video of the following build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQEQRBLRdG2IjW6e7m5G/eCYqg3QP2F3ajeQsxJD;TUArAGBcCYXxsCA

I tried it out and it seems good for a while, though i realize it doesn’t leave much for survivability. The gear is the standard SPVP gear you get when you enter mists complete with carrion amulet.

Here’s my opening so far:

Mid range against a group : Find a single target and execute the following:

Blood Curse—> Grasping Dead -> Enfeebling Blood-->Poison Could —>Bip--> Epidemic—> Consume Conditions —> Blood Curse--> Swap Weapon set & focus on single target within goup—> Rending claws—>Unholy feast—>Ghastly Claws

Rinse and Repeat till enemy death

Against a single target (Usually one that singles me out):

Blood Curse—> Grasping Dead -> Enfeebling Blood-->Poison Could —>Bip--> Epidemic—> Consume Conditions —> Swap Weapon set--> Wail of doom—> Unholy feast—> Enter Death Shroud—> Doom—> Life Transfer—> Exit DS—> Locust Swarm and Run away.

Rinse and Repeat till enemy death

Can someone tell me if I am doing this right? Or is there something that can be improved?

I also notice that the surviavbility of this build relatively sucks, but the damage output is high, which is probably why I can see the highest damage for bleeding and poison is usually mine in a SPVP scenario. Is there something I can do about this? Am i using DS wrong (since it provides invulnerability for the duration)

Thanks.

in Necromancer

Shadowcaster.9281

is there something wrong with my question? How come there is no response yet? Bumping this thread in hope of a response.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I would suggest trying a different trait build for PvP that I have had decent success with. 0/30/20/20/0 does a very good job at keeping you alive while dishing out pretty good damage. You are, however, incapable of shroud-stomping, which seems to be a necessary technique in PvP. The good news is that you can just drop a few auto-attacks on a downed target and watch them die anyway while you engage their teammate (using death shroud fear to knock them out of revive)

That said, I am a rather causal PvP player and have not done any tournaments, so my experience is not one to be taken as “word of god”

So you know, Greater Marks makes landing those staff attacks much, much easier (and lets you laugh at Guardians with their virtues).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Shadowcaster.9281

Thanks for the reply dranor. I assume shroud stomping means death shroud pwnage then?

Also, is there a link you can show me as to what talents are taken in this build?

Thank you.

in Necromancer

Posted by: tehsmooth.7493

tehsmooth.7493

ive been using :http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQEQNArYWjMap7Nbyb87JAJFPfd0jjNOZKFlzOA;T0AgyCuo8xMmYMrPOYkwsAZEwJgdFzFA

use staff for supporting your allies or blocking routes from your enemies or just to be annoying, this build can transfer alot of conditions from you to enemies, Dagger#4, staff#4 be sure to use these

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Thanks for the reply dranor. I assume shroud stomping means death shroud pwnage then?

Also, is there a link you can show me as to what talents are taken in this build?

Thank you.

I typically choose Hemophillia or Weakening Shroud, Focused Rituals, and Lingering Curse in Curses, Greater Marks and Ritual of Protection in Death Magic, and Mark of Evasion and Ritual Mastery in Blood Magic.

If you decide to go with fewer wells (I usually run 2 or 3 total), I would suggest Master of Corruption or Banshee’s Wail (Warhorn 4 is a very nice 3 second AoE daze then) in Curses, Staff Mastery in Death Magic, and Transfusion in Blood Magic

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/necromancer#6|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|30|2325|688|1235|20|1569|2331|0|20|2321|2320|0|0|0|0|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

“Shroud-stomping” refers to activating Death Shroud and the Finishing move simultaneously so you are in death shroud while performing the finishing move. Technically, any necro can do it, but the real reason to do so requires Foot in the Grave for 3 seconds of stability when entering death shroud (which in turn requires 30 trait points in Soul Reaping).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@ShadowCaster

By ShroundStomping, he means using traited shroud to stomp (Finish) ennemy in downed state.

You have to get the Grandmaster trait in Reaper line that give 3 sec of stability when you enter DS. With stability you can’t be interrupted while finishing somoene in downed state.

Necro have it pretty bad for stability source, since it’s one of our only option. The other being using our Elite.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Keep doing what you are doing because that build you pulled out of thin air is almost exactly what the second rated player, a necro runs.

The carrion amulet with a mixed power conditions set is fine. You will evolve the build overtime I do recomend forcing yourself to get fast with putting down marks if you want the most out of the class, auto ground targeting makes it easy and fast.

Small changes to your existing build, look at the runes and sigs.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQEQRBLRdG2IjW6e7m5G/eCYqw3QP2FXnjeQsxJD;T0AgyCrosyYlwKrVOrkWtEZIyRkdBzFA

If you want to work on getting fast with Marks, give these a try its a better build staff lets you move the BiP self bleed and clouds self weakness putting it on targets.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQEQNArYWjMap7tbmb87JApCPD9YXddO6BxGnMA;T0AgyCrosyYlwKrVOrkWtEZIyRkdBzFA

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

(edited by Xom.9264)