Confusion, necro needs it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

That’s our thing. We do conditions, so of course we’ll have lots of them.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Putting confusion instead of direct damage on Terror would negate its potential as burst damage. Confusion in particular over all other conditions because you need to be activating actions for it to hurt you. I know it sounds counterintuitive that a condition build would need a source of “burst”. I refer you to that video Nemesis made yonks ago as to why this is the case, which most people think gave the devs the idea for Terror in the first place actually.

Now, if it were Torment instead of direct damage that could work, as it’s doing damage simply because you’re running away, so it’s both burst damage (assuming enough stacks), and a good cover condi (assuming enough duration), and thematically appropriate “attrition” damage.

Confusion could easily stand in for burning in Dhuumfire though. Frankly its random proc makes it not worth much as burst, so while the extra damage is nice there’s no way you can make it proc right when you need it. A longer lasting “attrition” condition like confusion would be preferable to a short burn to me. Helps cover all your bleed stacks. When Dhuumfire gets moved to Life Blast it’ll get infinitely better as a source of on-demand burst damage of course, but I think seeing as we’ll still have Terror to do that I’d still prefer confusion to burning.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

It doesn’t suit their theme and they don’t need it either.
Also, stop comparing GW1 with GW2.

They are games in the exact same universe. In certain issues I agree, but in issues of flavor and lore, no. If someone made a Star Wars game where “good” Jedi started Force choking and lightning-ing people, there would be issues, because it goes against what has been.

It makes no sense that the class based on punishment and attrition lacks the best offensive condition at punishment and attrition. Especially when we had this exact same mechanic in not only multiple skills, but multiple extremely popular builds (SS builds were one of the most common builds throughout GW1). Its absolutely stupid that multiple core mechanics of Necros in GW1 didn’t make it through, and this is one of them.

The lore and the universe have nothing to do with the gameplay.
What makes you think Necromancers are based on punishment and attrition? If anything, that role belongs to Mesmers.
THEY have confusion, THEY have counters, THEY have deceptive abilities.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Because that is literally the definition of what we are, both from a standpoint of lore and dev description of what we should be.

And yes lore does. Where do you think they get the theme of the class from? Or the idea for skills? If there was no lore backing of any kind, every class would just be a random assortment of whatever they felt like adding. Lore is absolutely the foundation of the theme of the class, which heavily influences, guides, and limits what a class does and does not have.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.4320

TheLaughingMan.4320

Yes, we wouldn’t want to compare a great game to its sequel, it makes no sense! Instead, we should pretend GW1 never existed. Pointing out the flaws of a not so great sequel versus a great original just wastes time and keyboard lifespans.

(edited by TheLaughingMan.4320)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Yes, we wouldn’t want to compare a great game to its sequel, it makes no sense! Instead, we should pretend GW1 never existed. Pointing out the flaws of a not so great sequel versus a great original just wastes time and keyboard lifespans.

When the “sequel” has completely different gameplay than the “prequel”, then you can’t compare it (the gameplay). If that was the case, then you might as well compare GW2 with WoW or something.
And if anyone likes GW1 over GW2, I suggest they go play that instead, instead of hoping that one day they’ll be the same.
Also, I don’t think that “Necromancers don’t have confusion” can be considered a flaw. Not objectively, anyway. I’ve already pointed out why it isn’t.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

When the “sequel” has completely different gameplay than the “prequel”, then you can’t compare it (the gameplay). If that was the case, then you might as well compare GW2 with WoW or something.
And if anyone likes GW1 over GW2, I suggest they go play that instead, instead of hoping that one day they’ll be the same.
Also, I don’t think that “Necromancers don’t have confusion” can be considered a flaw. Not objectively, anyway. I’ve already pointed out why it isn’t.

The comparisons are more than warranted by the simple observation that in so many aspects it feels like lessons from making GW1 as good as it was were forgotten or tossed out prematurely in favor of simplification like so:

Because they don’t want to bring back the old hex system. This game is supposed to be fairly friendly to new players, and having dozens and dozens of individual skills, effects, and icons to learn isn’t new-friendly.

If the real SS came back, it’d be confusion application.

You can see this on how the meta works out when it comes to the current state of conditions; right now because they are all lumped into one category for things that affect them, you end up with them being incredibly strong in small engagements but near pointless in large fights where global cleanse spam abounds.

Both ends of that could have been partially mitigated by being a bit more selective in categorization. You know; somewhat similar to a prior game in the series where they already had design experience to draw from.