Critique this Power Reaper Build, please.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQNBIhZ6kjGobTsdTwcTgeTsgLYQXtAQLIuK2FDjUph2wzC-TlRBABAcKFe4JFgn+mr2fU+ZmSQLV/5bwAwQICiIiZmZmGRERIFQEjBA-w

I will be mostly using this build in WvW (Mid-line/Small Group) and Fractals. As well as general Open-World PvE.

I believe that the Traits are pretty self explanatory as to why I chose them, but if anyone has any advice as to what to change, and why, that would be really awesome!

Thanks!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

That’s a very glassy build for WvW. Will work with havoc sized groups but you might want to have some soldiers weapons in your backpack if you need to get into larger fights.

in Necromancer

Posted by: MasterElements.5023

MasterElements.5023

My only suggestion would be to switch out the vitality for toughness, because of Shroud + high HP pool you get more out of toughness then vitality. Also there is a death magic trait that allows you to convert toughness into power so it just works better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

Wow that’s glassy. With ‘Rise!’ it’s not so bad but you’re gonna want to swap out the runes to something like Strength or Pack. You’ll almost never get the 10% dmg bonus in WvW with all the incidental damage flying around. Have you considered Marauder armor? It’s a huge buff to your crit chance and keeps your HP high, while dropping a minor amount of power and a moderate amount of ferocity.

If you’re going to run Blighter’s Boon, I’d suggest getting some Fried Golden Dumplings since the on-crit proc really helps your sustain out a lot and keeps your Might high.

You’re going to have to compromise somewhat on damage if you want to be able to get in on people in melee range in WvW since there’s a lot of damage flying around at the moment. I’d go for ~2400 armor if you’re really looking to keep up your damage and not explode to Revenants and Berserkers walking on to you.

in Necromancer

Odokuro.5049

Wow that’s glassy. With ‘Rise!’ it’s not so bad but you’re gonna want to swap out the runes to something like Strength or Pack. You’ll almost never get the 10% dmg bonus in WvW with all the incidental damage flying around. Have you considered Marauder armor? It’s a huge buff to your crit chance and keeps your HP high, while dropping a minor amount of power and a moderate amount of ferocity.

If you’re going to run Blighter’s Boon, I’d suggest getting some Fried Golden Dumplings since the on-crit proc really helps your sustain out a lot and keeps your Might high.

You’re going to have to compromise somewhat on damage if you want to be able to get in on people in melee range in WvW since there’s a lot of damage flying around at the moment. I’d go for ~2400 armor if you’re really looking to keep up your damage and not explode to Revenants and Berserkers walking on to you.

Something like this, maybe?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQNBIhZ6kjGobTsdTwcTgeTsgLYQXtAQLIuK2FDjUph2wzC-T1RBABmpE8KlfP8kCIa/BAOlC8pvxS1fCAcA8bf77v57v/+7nf+5nf+5+93f/93fLFQgjBA-w

And thanks for the advice!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

Something like this, maybe?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQNBIhZ6kjGobTsdTwcTgeTsgLYQXtAQLIuK2FDjUph2wzC-T1RBABmpE8KlfP8kCIa/BAOlC8pvxS1fCAcA8bf77v57v/+7nf+5nf+5+93f/93fLFQgjBA-w

And thanks for the advice!

Not bad, I’d work on getting some Knight rings, or a piece of asc Soldier armor if you’re still too squishy so you can tank up a bit if you feel the need.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQNBIhZ6kjGobTsdTwcTgeTsgLYQXtAQLIuK2FDjUph2wzC-TlRBABAcKFe4JFgn+mr2fU+ZmSQLV/5bwAwQICiIiZmZmGRERIFQEjBA-w

I will be mostly using this build in WvW (Mid-line/Small Group) and Fractals. As well as general Open-World PvE.

I believe that the Traits are pretty self explanatory as to why I chose them, but if anyone has any advice as to what to change, and why, that would be really awesome!

Thanks!

To me, it lacks a lot across all scales for WVW. For open world PVE, fractals / dungeons etc. its good. However, in WVW you will be dirt napping and in general rally botting a lot and be more of a liability in any organised / semi-organised group, rather then an asset.

While in 1v1 and very small scale, your drains will be refilling too slow to be of practically applied difference.

It lacks survivability, not enough stun breaks, no stab, not even remotely close enough condi clears / transfers. So very poor defenses.

Only thing you have is life force drains, but that is like a drop in the ocean of what is needed, it works on PVE mobs, not so much in WVW because of the time it takes to refill. Though it does help a little, you are far better relocating any invested points into anything that is more useful.

On offensive end its not good as well. All the stuff necros are good at it doesn’t have. Wells and condi transfers are ineffective in it even if you had them on the build, which you don’t. Your CC is next to non existent while you are ultra vulnreable to it. In fact, you will easily fall to other necros / reapers because they can take on your burst several times over without even using up half utilities while piling on damage and CC.

Keep in mind you can have 2 seperate builds for PVE and WVW. When you zone in, just redo your traits, which will be different in PVE land and on WVW maps. And you can get a 2nd armor set with different runes, you do not need to be full ascended, use exotics. Ascended helps a bit, especially the weapons due to base DPS increase, but it is just not a necessity.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Necromancer

Odokuro.5049

Thanks!

To me, it lacks a lot across all scales for WVW. For open world PVE, fractals / dungeons etc. its good. However, in WVW you will be dirt napping and in general rally botting a lot and be more of a liability in any organised / semi-organised group, rather then an asset.

While in 1v1 and very small scale, your drains will be refilling too slow to be of practically applied difference.

It lacks survivability, not enough stun breaks, no stab, not even remotely close enough condi clears / transfers. So very poor defenses.

Only thing you have is life force drains, but that is like a drop in the ocean of what is needed, it works on PVE mobs, not so much in WVW because of the time it takes to refill. Though it does help a little, you are far better relocating any invested points into anything that is more useful.

On offensive end its not good as well. All the stuff necros are good at it doesn’t have. Wells and condi transfers are ineffective in it even if you had them on the build, which you don’t. Your CC is next to non existent while you are ultra vulnreable to it. In fact, you will easily fall to other necros / reapers because they can take on your burst several times over without even using up half utilities while piling on damage and CC.

Keep in mind you can have 2 seperate builds for PVE and WVW. When you zone in, just redo your traits, which will be different in PVE land and on WVW maps. And you can get a 2nd armor set with different runes, you do not need to be full ascended, use exotics. Ascended helps a bit, especially the weapons due to base DPS increase, but it is just not a necessity.

Well if I didn’t feel like trash, I certainly do now, lol…

What is a build that works better, my guild wants me, “Frontline”, So I guess I need a build that is suitable for that role. I just don’t want to be a sponge that can’t fight back and kill other players, because it’s great and all to be able to be a, “Tank”, but when your watching your team die around you and you don’t have the, “BurstDPS” to take people down, or atleast assist, your kind of useless.

But I could be wrong, and probably am.

in Necromancer

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

What is a build that works better, my guild wants me, “Frontline”, So I guess I need a build that is suitable for that role. I just don’t want to be a sponge that can’t fight back and kill other players, because it’s great and all to be able to be a, “Tank”, but when your watching your team die around you and you don’t have the, “BurstDPS” to take people down, or atleast assist, your kind of useless.

If you want to be tanky, frontline and deal damage, then the easiest way is a full Dire Condi Frontline build.
I’ve not tried such a build for frontline zerging yet but I would think it will be very effective too.

Something like with these utilities and traits:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQBNyRD10YvN4cD83YZXwgOTJgAA1V4MssiniXxtIA-w

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I actually made an obnoxiously long post about a build I have been running but decided to make it more compact for obvious reasons. I also came up with some ideas to improve said build but ill need to test them.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRMQNBhOD7kZTodTscTwaTgeTsgLYQXtAwBIuK+FDjUdh2wXA-TFSGQBSUJY50NAk9HOwFBAAPBgCqcIQq/QElcAA-w

Here is what I typically run for frontline reaper lately. My previous version had knights but I feel like sticking with soldiers and MAYBE mixing more marauders into the soldiers armor would be more beneficial overall. Vitality is a pretty good defense for us as long as were running blighters boon (gives us the ability to actually rebuild that health pool while maintaining pressure). IF you decided to run something like this id reccomend golden dumplings (might generation proc food with 0 cooldown) for synergy as well as Furious Maintanence Oils if you can make them.

Edit: The reason I go with power over condi reaper is that condi reaper can be heavily shut down if the enemy has multiple front line revenants. Making multiple condi reapers sub par as opposed to the unblockable damage of a frontline power reaper.

Ghost Yak

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Thanks!

Hi, I apologise if it seemed strong, but you did ask for criticism. You said you will be running with a guild, best thing you need to do 1st is talk to them and decide on what your main role will be, and go with that.

Do not worry about DPS at all, as in zilch zero, it comes from focusing areas and targets. 5 people doing 3-4k DPS can and do in fact kill opponents faster then a single person doing 20k DPS, simply because they strip defenses like butter. Blocks, aegis, bunch of other things are meant to take only certain number of hits, so having multiple small hits for same total, is much better then having single large hits which can be mitigated and countered with ease.

Necros and reapers are freakishly powerful at boonstrips and converting boons on their opponents to conditions. However, as pointed out above, this is ineffective if you do not have any condi damage and a little bit of condi duration. Condi duration is not as important in larger group fights as it is in smaller scale because of the AOE cleanses, but you still need some.

I run a flexible build, it does fairly well in roaming, but taking on more then 1 opponent at a time gets challenging, and 3 is almost a no-go unless they are just plainly bad. It does great in group play, but it does require for me to be not the only necro running boon strips due to durability rune stacking in organized groups. Vs pug groups it just plainly awesome.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBmWD7kGRonGsmGw8GgeTs4NYxLwI4Fc6iFASAUdgQwEA-TVSFABMquid6GA4gAky+Ds9BA+TJIlqUk8RA4JlfBAQAM0hO0hO0hGpA6bNA-w

This is what I often run on frontline dives, warhorn 5 + shroud 4 diving onto precast well or marks is just devestating. I also often switch out my armor and rings for sinister / viper while leaving rest the same. I actually like the sinister set better even though viper has more stat weights, sinister works better for me. In addition, I do have a full exotic armor set with runes of melandru, and -20% condi duration food that I use sometimes if things get really hairy and we fight while seriously outnumbered.

In addition, I sometimes switch up my traits on the reaper line from Chilling Nova to Relentless Pursuit for when things get seriously hairy or we’re facing opponents with super high CC.

Utility slot 1 and 3 (well of Power and Corrupt Boon) I switch up to whatever best suits any given situation, often substitute well of power for spectral wall or epidemic if I’m running offensive.

So this has a ton of CC. Staff 3, scepter 2, staff 5, warhorn 4, warhorn 5. The elite (Chilled to the bone) and well of corruption and corrupt boon also often result in CCs + damage at the same time. Add to that shroud 2, shroud 3 and shroud 5.

Your chills now do a ton of damage as well as spread themselves to adjescent foes. Self applying AOE damage + soft cc at same time.

Your mainstay DPS are bleeds, but you need some cover condis. I like using torment for this.

Keep in mind this is what I run comfortably, and I switch it all up to suit any given situation.

Other things of note:

Avoid using Greatsword. Its slow, clunky and lacks range, you cant precast like you can with staff marks or scepter or warhorn then immediately pop shroud and dive onto or with your effects on you.

As pointed out above, avoid things like scholar runes, they are nearly useless cause you will rarely be above 90% health.

use staff 4 and well of power to cleanse if needed. with some practice you can drop wells to cleanse you, protect you while doing combo fields while diving in.

I also recommend you start defensively, with full defensive build, exotic gear and cheap runes / sigils, once you get the hang of it, then alter stuff, get some ascended and better runes / sigils and of course then go more offensive until you hit your comfort zone.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in Necromancer

Odokuro.5049

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRQQNBIhZ6kjGobTs2GwcTgeTsgLYUph2wzKuK2FLjQXtAQLA-TFTBABacEAIa/hrUGsxhAgiTAQXK9i4AKon+mHOQBA8AAoU9H0UC+NYAYIEBRExMzMTjIiIkCIwxAA-w

Changed a few things up, mainly gear, and my #7 and #8 utilities will be changed to, Well of Corruption and Well of Suffering when joined into a Zerg.

Reason I went for 2500 Armor is so that I don’t have to rely on having to go into RS so often to avoid damage, ect.