Curses Traits - Effective Grades

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

Greetings fellow necromancers. I had an idea to lay out our traits the other night and then assign them grades according to their usefulness. Some of our traits are basically givens or necessary for most builds; some are specific to certain builds; and some, well, some areā€¦ well, worthless. What I would like, is an honest, straightforward, realistic discussion about our traits. Obviously, I will give you my opinion, and you can tear it apart, shark style. I grade these scales taking into consideration their level (i.e. adept vs. grandmaster), their usefulness, and to some degree in comparrison with other classes. Ok, so without further ado, here are our CurseTraits, what I believe to be our most solid trait line.

Curse Minor Traits:
Adept – Barbed Precision: Critical hits have a 66% chance to cause bleeding. This is a solid adept minor traits. Not much to say, and I feel very effective in a condition build, though, only a condition build. Effective grade is an A.

Master – Furious Demise: Gain fury for 5 seconds when entering Death Shroud. Some power builds go only into Curses to get this trait. It is very effective and one of the few ways we have of generating fury. Actually, is it the only? Thus, it is a solid trait and gains an effective grade of A.

Grandmaster – Target the Weak: 2% increased damage for each condition on a foe. I feel that this is a decent trait, though 2% just does not measure up as condition cleansing is so prevalent in the game that you just don’t notice it. I think it was a good effort, but really needs 4+ conditions to be noticeable. Thus I give it a B, given it is our grandmaster minor trait.

Curse Major Traits:
Adept – Toxic Landing: Creates a poison cloud when you take falling damage. Take 50% less falling damage. Sorry, cant think of a single time I chose this over another trait. It is useless. What? Am I dive bombing people off a cliff? Poor strategy engendered by a poor, worthless trait. Grade of F.

Adept – Hemophilia: 20% increased bleeding duration. Practically essential for condition builds, given that 90% of our condition damage is from bleeds. That said, at later levels, and in diff environments, I usually forgo this trait as I find I don’t need the 20%. I give it a B+, because it is useful, a good trait, but loses effectiveness later in the game.

Adept – Chilling Darkness: When you blind a target, you also apply chill for 1 second. Ahh, when I found out that this trait was effective in power builds (wells), as well as in condition builds (Dagger 4), I usually slapped this one on. This is a useful trait that comes in handy in so many ways. I give this an A, give that it is an adept level trait and useful in all aspects of the game. Can be life saving.

Adept – Weakening Shroud : Cast Enfeebling Blood when entering death shroud. I like this trait, it was give a buff a few months back, to be 3 bleed stacks instead of just 1. It is useful, and I know it winds up in some power/hybrid builds that depend on DS dancing to be effective. I give this a B+, because I usually only select it when I am in tpvp using Khalifa’s build or a variant therof.

Adept – Reaper’s Precision: You have a 33% chance to gain 1% life force on critical hits. Hmm, one of the more weaker adept level traits. i give it a C, because I just skip it for most other traits, especially if I start to go more than 20 points into curses.

Adept – Terror: Fear deals damage, and it deals an additional 50% damage if the target has another condition on them. Love this trait, it is a solid necro trait, because it give us a reason to slam that fear on someone as many times as we can. If you’re 10 points into condition and not running a power build (or heck, even with a power build) it is useful. Terrormancer build must. I give this an A, even though it is specific to the terror builds.

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

Master – Master of Corruption: Corruption skills recharge 20% faster. Outstanding trait, especially if you’re running a condition build and you have corrupt boon, epidemic, or blood is power in any of your utility slots (or even all 3.) This is a solid trait and one of the few traits that gives us a cooldown on multiple useful skills. This is actually an exemplar trait and gets one of the Few, A+s.

Master – Banshee’s Wail: Warhorn skills recharge 15% faster, and their effects last longer. I have used this in a few builds, more specifically power builds, to get the daze to refresh faster. I dont find it useful at all in the condition builds, thus I think the specificity of the build limits the use of this skill. Thus, I give this a grade of B-, considering the other useful traits at the master level. Though, if I am running certain wellbomber builds, this is useful.

Master – Focused Rituals: Well skills use ground targeting. Ok, early in the game, I almost always chose this until I learned a bit about wells, their uses, and when to use them, and what builds make the best use of them. The more I played, the less I chose this, because you have to go 20 points into curses to get this trait. What baffles me, is that I usually go 20 into curses to get the crit %, and this skill and I am not even running a condition build. Thus I am forced to take go 20 if I want my wells to be more placeable. It is a good trait by itself. However, I don’t like it in curses. In fact, I think it lowers the possibility of being selected because of its placement. That is my pinion but I give this a grade of B-.

Master – Spectral Attunement: Spectral skills have longer durations and grant life force on use. Hmm, I cannot say I have ever chosen this trait in any of my builds because i get so much more use out of other skills. Our spectral skills are lackluster to begin with (other than spectral walk). Thus, I gave it a grade of C. I just can’t see it being that useful.

Grandmaster – Lingering Curse: Conditions inflicted by scepter skills last 33% longer. Great trait, and the fact that it effects all conditions slammed by the scepter makes it more useful. In fact, its the only grandmaster trait that anyone would select in the trait line, given the other choices. I give it a solid A-.

Grandmaster - Withering Precision: 25% chance to cause weakness on critical hits. 25% to give a totally useless condition in my opinion. I have never in my 1500 hours selected this because it is so useless. IT is a shameful condition, and the fact that it is only 25% makes it worse. 25% on a crit hit? Worthless. This is an exemplar of an F.

Ok, so I think the curses trait line is practically the strongest trait line for the necro. There are some odd placements (in my opinion, ground targetable wells just is odd, though I can see the logic to some degree), but overall this is a solid trait line. Though the grandmaster withering percision trait is a solid black eye to this trait line.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Love the idea, and thank you for the work. I’ll look through each of the posts (I’m assuming you are going to do one for each) and give any thoughts.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Gryph.8237

yeah, working my way through them tonight.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Withering Precision should always be swapped to underwater, since it is pretty handy there (lots and lots of multi-hit skills, and Lingering Curse is no good there). Weakness is generally a handy condition anyway (since it limits dodges in PvP and is good damage mitigation in PvE).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Umm, weakness lessens the power of the target’s non-crits, not yours.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

You’re severely underestimating the strength of perm weakness in any sort of pvp.

Limiting their ability to dodge makes a noticable difference in longer fights, the reduction in damage (which varies based off their crit chance, god knows why they made it like that) is just an added bonus.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Adept – Toxic Landing: Creates a poison cloud when you take falling damage. Take 50% less falling damage. Sorry, cant think of a single time I chose this over another trait. It is useless. What? Am I dive bombing people off a cliff? Poor strategy engendered by a poor, worthless trait. Grade of F.

Adept – Reaper’s Precision: You have a 33% chance to gain 1% life force on critical hits. Hmm, one of the more weaker adept level traits. i give it a C, because I just skip it for most other traits, especially if I start to go more than 20 points into curses.

Master – Spectral Attunement: Spectral skills have longer durations and grant life force on use. Hmm, I cannot say I have ever chosen this trait in any of my builds because i get so much more use out of other skills. Our spectral skills are lackluster to begin with (other than spectral walk). Thus, I gave it a grade of C. I just can’t see it being that useful.

Ok, so I think the curses trait line is practically the strongest trait line for the necro. There are some odd placements (in my opinion, ground targetable wells just is odd, though I can see the logic to some degree), but overall this is a solid trait line.

Toxic Landing is just the mandatory “50% falling damage, create an effect when you land” trait. I do agree that the poison field is underwhelming though, since it isn’t a particularly strong way to start a fight or escape it. D for me. Still not good, but not a crime against the Necromancer.

I’ve been thinking about Reaper’s Precision a bit lately. It seems to me that it’s meant for use with high hit (and crit) volume weapons, like main-hand dagger / axe / warhorn. But none of those weapons need the extra life force badly enough to sacrifice a trait. What does need it is something like scepter / off-hand dagger / staff without soul marks, who can’t really crit at a high frequency.
And in both cases, I think it just doesn’t generate enough life force. D for me.

Change Reaper’s Precision to have a 1 or 2 second internal cooldown, but proc on 66% – 100% of critical hits.
I’m hesitant though because trying to bias it towards Sc/D and the like could create too much competition for the Adept slot for those weapons that already have good choices, and lock out weapons like dagger / axe from going into curses. (Is enfeebling shroud enough?)

Spectral Attunement is a pretty great trait, I nearly prefer it to Spectral Mastery if I’m invested in spectrals, and combining the two can create some real power. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why it’s in Curses. It’s a great example of a trait that’s fine, except it is completely misplaced.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

If you are giving an A to many of this traits obviously you didn’t see the other trait trees,

Dude, you would need to invent two new letters before the A…

I respect the hard work you did but this is fallacious,

By far our trait tree is behind the average,

You cannot say what’s good without taking in consideration what the others have,

It doesn’t matter how good you are trying to make it sound, our trait tree, in comparision with the rest, sucks

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Necromancer

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

If you are giving an A to many of this traits obviously you didn’t see the other trait trees,

Dude, you would need to invent two new letters before the A…

I respect the hard work you did but this is fallacious,

By far our trait tree is behind the average,

You cannot say what’s good without taking in consideration what the others have,

It doesn’t matter how good you are trying to make it sound, our trait tree, in comparision with the rest, sucks

There probably is a few too many A ratings, if he’s considering A to be the very best. But it’s just like in school: a letter is a condensation of a lot of judgement into a sound byte. You lose a lot of information about the hows and whys. Fortunately, we still have a few of those in these lists.

Oh, and comparing traits directly across professions is a really dangerous thing to do. It often ignores the specialties and drawbacks of specific classes, or the greater context of the trait lines they are found in.

So I mean… Yeah you can compare traits to other professions, but please be thoughtful in how you do it.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

(edited by Softspoken.2410)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bweaty.9187

Bweaty.9187

Barb Pre, isn’t as cool as it sounds. It’s only 1 second/tick of bleed.
(0.05 * Condition Damage + 42.5)

Would be cool as a ‘direct damage’ attack that use’s your cond power. But has the prob of only 25 stacks of bleed all up, wont trigger siphon or other things. Won’t work on environment objects. (Catapult, doors, etc)