DS and damage reduction

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

A few patch ago when damage taken was tested by many players in deathshroud they said its like it has a 50% damage reduction compared to normal form. Thats why players tought it has a 120% base hp value instead of 60% as developers stated. But as i trying it now ingame it doesnt change, no extra damage reduction in DS.
Is this intended now or not?

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

a) combat log doesnt register damage reduction post armor
b) easy way to test it are fish heads/mines/exploding objects

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

Floating text and combat log maches. I equiped Vital Persistence to minimalize LF degen and it seems to be correct.
Btw i tested it on risen drakes near R&D waypoint at Cursed shores. Maybe i will give it a try in a few other zone.

edit: Now im totally lost. Went for the fish heads, full zerker gear with around 13k hp and nearly 10k LF. Charge the cute fish head, boom, insta down from ~22k dmg. I swapped 3 piece of my armor (head, shoulder, chest) to PVT gear. Charge again, almost dead with 2k hp left. Swap the gloves too. Charge and after a tick i still had a tiny amount of LF, no hp was harmed during this test. Im lost … im totally lost now …

(edited by Dalanor.5387)

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

I just tested again:

First screenshots, falling damage:
I jumped from the same spot, 2457 dmg taken out of DS. In DS I lose only 1228 hp (=50%).

Second, condition damage:
I used Corrupt Boon to self inflict poison. First picture shows that poison ticks with 196.
As seen in the picture for falling damage my full hp is 24526. Natural LF degen is 4% of 60% of my hp, that would be 588. With the poison in DS I should lose 784 per second. But as seen in the comparison between the last two screenshots I only lost 686, because poison only damaged me for 98 (=50% of 196).

Third, direct damage:
Direct comparison right before and after I get hit. The damage number on screen says 699, but I only lose 350 hp on my lf bar (=50%).

Attachments:

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

So, either we take half damage while in death shroud, or the number displayed is half of what it should be.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

So, either we take half damage while in death shroud, or the number displayed is half of what it should be.

This (in bold, but I’m having difficulty confirming how it handles crit damage) has always been the case with DS. It functions exactly like the old (not new) Aura of the Lich from gw1.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

This (in bold, but I’m having difficulty confirming how it handles crit damage) has always been the case with DS. It functions exactly like the old (not new) Aura of the Lich from gw1.

No it wasnt, that change got implemented when they removed DS absorb. DS used to have a weird base armor value/it made glass cannons a bit tanky and weakened soldier/toughness builds to medium armor level, we talked about that a lot on the forums then and had a long post on reddit.

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: ErikRedbeard.8927

ErikRedbeard.8927

One of the easiest methods to test this are one hit abilities from bosses.
Like for example the eye beam from the fourth fractal.
Normally getting hit by it would instantly down you but if you’re in Deathshroud with 100% lifeforce it will bring you down to about 15% lifeforce and not 0%.

That alone makes it fairly obvious that there’s some dmg reduction done after all calculations are done.

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

One of the easiest methods to test this are one hit abilities from bosses.
Like for example the eye beam from the fourth fractal.
Normally getting hit by it would instantly down you but if you’re in Deathshroud with 100% lifeforce it will bring you down to about 15% lifeforce and not 0%.

That alone makes it fairly obvious that there’s some dmg reduction done after all calculations are done.

Oh, DS still defends you from eye lazor, even the last one? (didnt wanna gamble it in the very few times i still bother to do fractals, so i just save my dodges if i got no crystal).

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jayce.5632

Jayce.5632

No it wasnt, that change got implemented when they removed DS absorb. DS used to have a weird base armor value/it made glass cannons a bit tanky and weakened soldier/toughness builds to medium armor level, we talked about that a lot on the forums then and had a long post on reddit.

DS was never suppose to have its own armor value. It’s just suppose to have a flat reduction rate. While some discussions did talk about armor values, most of them were more or less trying to gauge an accurate health pool for DS. Anet would say what the DS value is suppose to be, while the community would say it doesn’t add up. When Anet fixed the DS HP values, they also fixed the take more damage in than intended bug. I wouldn’t be surprised if both bugs were one in the same.

But for all intents and purposes, damage taken while in DS was always reduced from all sources, even when it had broken HP values. Yes, this would make a glass cannon tanky, but only in while in DS. Easy when you’re taking a reduced amount of damage. Some parts of DS is still broken, which is why from time to time you can get knocked out of it even if you have well over 50% life force. Personally, I believe it has to do with crit damage, which is more noticeable from high crit builds, and how a full DS bar can be emptied in 1 or 2 seconds. This is something that just won’t happen when you’re not taking a lot of crit hits, even if there are 5 people beating on you.

It’s as if DS is trying to mimic the weakness condition, where some of the none glancing crit hits really does a number on the life force pool.

i7-6700K – M.2 PCIe 512GB R/W:2500/1500MB/s
GTX 980M – SSD 512GB R/W:550/520MB/s
17.3" 1080p – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Andele.1306

DS was never suppose to have its own armor value. It’s just suppose to have a flat reduction rate. While some discussions did talk about armor values, most of them were more or less trying to gauge an accurate health pool for DS. Anet would say what the DS value is suppose to be, while the community would say it doesn’t add up. When Anet fixed the DS HP values, they also fixed the take more damage in than intended bug. I wouldn’t be surprised if both bugs were one in the same.

But for all intents and purposes, damage taken while in DS was always reduced from all sources, even when it had broken HP values. Yes, this would make a glass cannon tanky, but only in while in DS. Easy when you’re taking a reduced amount of damage. Some parts of DS is still broken, which is why from time to time you can get knocked out of it even if you have well over 50% life force. Personally, I believe it has to do with crit damage, which is more noticeable from high crit builds, and how a full DS bar can be emptied in 1 or 2 seconds. This is something that just won’t happen when you’re not taking a lot of crit hits, even if there are 5 people beating on you.

It’s as if DS is trying to mimic the weakness condition, where some of the none glancing crit hits really does a number on the life force pool.

No, ds was supposed to use your armor and hp value to scale itself, its kinda the whole point of “you can play the way you build and the way you play should be the way you build” flexibility, at least thats what they said on every single presentation of necros up to release after the first rework (aka from the teleport from where you enter to current version).
Also no that was a bug that affected only people with bonus toughness from any source as you too mentioned zerkers and rampagers (reason why i went for that stats setup over rabid for my “condi” build) got actually damage reduction, as we have calculated on the forums (same as this because a 50% reduction rate from all damage is identical as just having double the hp, even if the bigger numbers we go the closer we get to a 49.xx number).

Either way devs need to freaking fix this kittenstorm.

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

I am not sure if related to this but sometimes when you take a lot damage and your DS goes fast, maybe after this 50% or so you just drop out of DS and die. It seems to happen when a lot crits happen but impossible to confirm I rarely look at logs since they don’t show much accurate info anyway.

I think this could be also why it seems that DS is more useless than the one could expect.

It is really shame that last hit “block” was taken away it felt like a sensible way to avoid some damage while not being ridiculously OP, taken in count that other classes have these “blocks” and necromancer has a bad resistance to cc/burst in general.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

Did a little testing again.
1: Step on the mine in necro form.
2: Step on the mine with full LF.
3&4: Step on the mine with ~50% LF.

Conclusion: If the hit cant be absorbed fully it spill over to our regular hp, but without any reduction. Am i right or i missed again something?

ps: sorry for the lame image editing

Attachments:

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

Interesting observation. I could confirm this.

In my sceenshot comparison the svanir training npc in the mists hits me twice in less than 0.5 sec (stun counter on my skill bar), so it was within natural lf degeneration ticks.

Both hits do the same damage: 2684.
Comparing the first two panels you can see that the hit took 1342 out of my life force pool, 50% as expected.
The second strike (2nd vs 3rd panel) takes the remaining 743 lf and 1941 of my regular hp, total: 2684.

That means: if damage overflows to your regular hp then the damage taken to your lf pool will no longer be reduced by 50%.

Attachments:

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Dalanor.5387

I hope its not a feature / stealth nerf. :/

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: tazer.4982

tazer.4982

Looks like a bug, really.

DS and damage reduction

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nijjion.2069

Nijjion.2069

I saw this brought up in a post a few weeks ago… but this is nice proof about damaging being applied twice (x2) if it ends the pool of DS.

Hopefully this is seen by dev and can be fixed for next patch I will definitely be putting in a bug report and hope everyone else does as well. If this isn’t fixed it is an incredible flaw in our main mechanic.