Dagger Main Hand

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Wait for greatsword.

GS + D/F rotation incoming. ;3

what? no! GS +D/WH

You release your locusts, swap to gs and close distance with the mobility skill all greatswords have. Do a gs rotation to hopefully blast firefields and spread tons of vulnerability, and swap back to dagger to dps the enemy down. It’s the mechanic I think would work best.

Warhorn isnt as strong as focus. You would probably start with GS + D/W and cast locust swarm before getting in combat. Then swap out the warhorn for the focus and engage.

in pve focus is good for the vulnerability only. if you are able to apply vulnerability better than with focus, as i hope, with the greatsword (come on, necro’s vuln is a joke compared to engie’s, for example), then the warhorn complements the dagger better, as it ads some extra damage.

Either that or you think focus is better for reasons I don’t know… you tell me!

Focus 4 is a dps increase. More so than warhorn. Even without the vuln its worth using on cooldown.

Oh, i always thought that traited swarm was better than traited reaper’s touch. So there go my dreams of a locust swarming, giant katana wielding necro.

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Plus focus has boon strip which is useful for dredge/mobs that self buff, and the chill is useful on things like fire shaman fractal. Warhorn is really not that great outside pvp (and even then it barely competes with offhand dagger in pvp for condi transfer and aoe weakness).

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Warhorn is still a good offhand for PvE. But if GS becomes meta then its going to be focus over warhorn. Its close though. If you dont have time to swap to focus when precasting locust then warhorn will be the offhand to use for trash groups due to its AOE. Also the daze is a good CC.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Mainhand dagger is better designed than most weapons. You don’t want to use skills 2 and 3 on cooldown, which is better design than a number of other weapons in the game. Each skill has a use, and they’re pretty good for said use. But the uses for 2 and 3 aren’t ones you necessarily want to spam whenever.

really? i think life siphon could use another skill in its place. Only time i cast it is when closing range in pvp but, then, it only ticks once at best. Useless skill.

Quick question: do you find your sustain to be lacking?

no.

And, if i do, then life siphon doesn’t save the day. Typically, when i am out of heals casting life sihpon is the last thing i do before dying.

Try casting Life Siphon first instead of your heal first. You can delay hitting “6” a long time by using Life Siphon liberally.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I really do think Life Siphon should be changed in some way. It just feels really, really clunky. And that extra 2k HP almost never saves my kitten , because meanwhile it leaves me open for damage.

As for skill #3, it just needs a CD reduction.

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

I don’t know what the hell you’re doing that you don’t have enough to do. You need to pop locusts, reaper’s touch, well of suffering, blood is power, death shroud, and tainted shackles before you can settle into an autoattack. That seems like enough things to do to me, at that point you probably need to focus on avoiding attacks and timing dodges right. Sure, dagger skills 2 and 3 aren’t useful for PvE but it’s all about the offhand action.

You realize what the cooldown on those is, right?

Practically nothing when traited

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

This I don’t get at all. Why should autos get hit? Did ranger autoattacks get hit when rapid fire was buffed? Did thieves’ sword autos stop critting fro 3-4k when pistolwhip is hitting for 8k+.

I really don’t understand the argument, necros are not on an equal damage footing to other people so it’s not an argument for shifting around damage, it’s an argument for a buff.

Let’s not sugarcoat that, it’s not like power necros are good anywhere besides well bombing in WvW.

yeah i suppose what i said doesnt make sense lol. i was trying to argue that necros do other things good-great, such as range damage, soft/hard cc, aoe bomb. so a buff to the channel and immob should result in slightly lower aa damage because of this. basically im agreeing with op.
no thief/ranger didnt get their autos nerfed, but then again they are specced to remain at range or melee. no class should have it all i guess is what im trying to say.
also, im worried that any buffs will result in over nerfs, like what happened to our condi friends with scepter2/staff2+dhuumfire (and weakening shroud?).

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

I don’t know what the hell you’re doing that you don’t have enough to do. You need to pop locusts, reaper’s touch, well of suffering, blood is power, death shroud, and tainted shackles before you can settle into an autoattack. That seems like enough things to do to me, at that point you probably need to focus on avoiding attacks and timing dodges right. Sure, dagger skills 2 and 3 aren’t useful for PvE but it’s all about the offhand action.

You realize what the cooldown on those is, right?

Practically nothing when traited

Oh, yeah, sure.

This I don’t get at all. Why should autos get hit? Did ranger autoattacks get hit when rapid fire was buffed? Did thieves’ sword autos stop critting fro 3-4k when pistolwhip is hitting for 8k+.

I really don’t understand the argument, necros are not on an equal damage footing to other people so it’s not an argument for shifting around damage, it’s an argument for a buff.

Let’s not sugarcoat that, it’s not like power necros are good anywhere besides well bombing in WvW.

yeah i suppose what i said doesnt make sense lol. i was trying to argue that necros do other things good-great, such as range damage, soft/hard cc, aoe bomb. so a buff to the channel and immob should result in slightly lower aa damage because of this. basically im agreeing with op.
no thief/ranger didnt get their autos nerfed, but then again they are specced to remain at range or melee. no class should have it all i guess is what im trying to say.
also, im worried that any buffs will result in over nerfs, like what happened to our condi friends with scepter2/staff2+dhuumfire (and weakening shroud?).

Nerfs that should have never happened as evidenced by the current performance of necros in spvp and their presence in high level pvp.

But then again the same people who cried for nerfs are the same that got warriors their kittened OP healing signet buff and their ridiculous stance durations. Just like the thieves who whiend and whined about their weakness in pvp, and the patch revamping initiative that was supposed to nerf them alongside the stealth spam fixed nothing and they actually emerged stronger for it.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I really do think Life Siphon should be changed in some way. It just feels really, really clunky. And that extra 2k HP almost never saves my kitten , because meanwhile it leaves me open for damage.

As for skill #3, it just needs a CD reduction.

2682 base heal with 0 healing power. 6/2/0/0/6 with Zerk amulet has 151 healing power before runes, which means 2790 heal. Considering it’s every 15 seconds (including cast), it’s pretty good healing (180 healing/second)

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Life Siphon is literally fine except it takes too long to cast.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Life Siphon is literally fine except it takes too long to cast.

Like, oh about every necro spell in existence. Pin down casts faster and brings with it 6 stacks of bleed. Chains of light, 20 sec cd (5 less than necro) 0.5 sec cast only 1 less sec immobilize but vulnerability stack. Guardian hammer has the same cast time but immobilizes in a line and has 10 secs less cd than dark pact. Net shot, 10 sec cd. Magnetic grasp, 12 sec cd.

And that’s just one skill comparison. Virtually most necro skills take longer to cast and have a much longer cd for a similar or inferior effect/utility/damage. Ghastly claws is basically a kittenty warrior volley (because I won’t even compare it with rapid fire), a weapon with a miserable autoattack and that for some reason has managed to stay at 600 range for 2.5 years.

Necro utilities. Well of Power, it’s basically sorta an analogue to null field (one gives boons while removin g conditions, the other strips both), yet the well has far greater cd and requires a trait to be ground targeted.

What you see of the current necro is basically the broken remains of a class that was nerfed to hell late in beta before release. In case you haven’t noticed, the same happaned to ranger and mesmer. The classes that got heavy nerfs late in beta development stage are, big surprise, the classes that have been in the crap pile for well over 2.5 years.

To give some perspective, just before release Jon Peters made a post in the beta forums about the wide mesmer complaint that shatters like Cry of Frustration were useless (they are). He said he was open to suggestions and would be taking a look at the issues soon.

And then nothing ever happened,Cry of Frustration is the same pile of garbage it has been since release.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Dagger needs a 2 to 1 target nerf again, + a dmg buff overall. Then the greatsword will fill the cleaving role. Dagger itself is fine, 3 is a great root, 2 is ment for heal rahter than dps. It’s a good weapon.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

No it isn’t lol. By all means make it a single target weapon and proceed to make it virtually useless for most game content considering outside single bosses everything in this game is about cleaving.

What’s with the insistence on handicapping the weapon and making it more niche instead of just getting it to the level of GOOD weapons other classes have. The dagger should be good without needing some specialization weapon for the class to function competitively.

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

There is no need to nerf anything on dagger, unless you consider lower cast times to be a nerf.

My PvP Minion Build

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Kain Francois.4328

What if Life Siphon were changed to a burst, DPS increase?

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

That isn’t the point of Life Siphon. A healing skill shouldn’t also be a burst skill, and with Necromancers constantly complaining of low sustain (a valid complaint), why would we remove a potentially great source of sustain.

My PvP Minion Build

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

Yeah, just give Life Siphon the rapid fire treatment. Compress its castime to something similar to Blurred Frenzy and keep the damage the same.

The same needs to go for Ghastly Claws by the way if its damage stays the same (lower than warrior rifle’s Volley, just pathetic). Compress the cast time and then its DPS becomes better.

And may I say something about the dagger auto? I find it really obnoxious how the secondaries we get on skills are purely about some little life force generation instead of actual utility. The thief’s auto refunds them endurance and gives them permanent poison uptime, but all we get is like 8% life force per auto chain.

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Dagger’s AA is effectively a “heal” of 0.08*1.2*(SR/20)*HP, which is roughly 1700 HP base. That is a pretty significant amount of sustain, and it is increased a lot with investments. Not that Thief dagger isn’t good, but I think dagger’s “secondary” utility is just fine for Necromancers.

My PvP Minion Build

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Yeah, just give Life Siphon the rapid fire treatment. Compress its castime to something similar to Blurred Frenzy and keep the damage the same.

The same needs to go for Ghastly Claws by the way if its damage stays the same (lower than warrior rifle’s Volley, just pathetic). Compress the cast time and then its DPS becomes better.

And may I say something about the dagger auto? I find it really obnoxious how the secondaries we get on skills are purely about some little life force generation instead of actual utility. The thief’s auto refunds them endurance and gives them permanent poison uptime, but all we get is like 8% life force per auto chain.

You need to stop comparing classes like this.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Kain Francois.4328

Dagger’s autoattack effect is fine for PvE. Generating Life Force is a powerful effect, and I’m saying that as someone who has played a lot of bunker.

Problem is, it’s nor much an offensive effect.

I would love to see skills that consume Life Force in exchange for powerful damage and effects.

Dagger Main Hand

in Necromancer

Zenith.7301

You need to stop comparing classes like this.

Oh, really? Please do explain, or are you going to pretend classes exist in a vacuum and their evaluation for a role does not depend on the competitors?