Death Nova + "Rise!"

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

This is one of the things I’m looking forward to making a build around in HoT. I don’t know if it will have any PvP application but for PvE it’ll deal a lot of AoE damage.

I’ve tried the Death Nova trait before. You get some jagged horrors for free and any of your minions leaves a poison field when it dies that pulses for damage.

I found that you can pull out a significant amount of AoE damage with only Summon Bone Minions as your only minion utility. The others obviously won’t contribute as much. The upcoming Reaper shout, “Rise!” is going to allow you to summon 5 jagged horrors every 26 seconds if traited. That sounds really serious with this trait.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Sadly, it would be very situational and still terribly underwhelming.

“Rise!” (and all Reaper’s shout) need a shave on their base CD and/or no cast time. In my opinion, the untraited shout should have had a relatively low CD with cool down addition depending on how many foe are hitten. The trait would have just removed the additional Cool down.
Beside, the extra damage on shout are totally out of place. They wanted to do a chilled base specialization on the necromancer, they should have gone all the way!

For exemple :
“Rise!” : You shout at your foes shivering them and summoning a minion at their feets. inflict 1 second chill, summon 1 jagged horror for each foe hit (5 max). Base CD 20s + 3s per foe hitten. Cast time shouldn’t be more then 3/4s.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Suggestion

Superior Rune of the Lich already has a cool down down of 60 seconds.

How about, instead of creating only one horror that it be altered to cast “Rise” Instead.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Here is my question, first, has it been finalized that rise will only summon jagged horrors? Second, I can’t remember, but do the jagged horrors grant life force. I do agree the deathnova trait alone will do nothing really to help rise, but if they grant life force I can see it being very useful as a life force battery.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Suggestion

How about, instead of creating only one horror that it be altered to cast “Rise” Instead.

Nice.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

No they said they might use jagged horrors. That was their beta test they didnt decide what it would summon yet

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: ZeroStrifeX.2183

ZeroStrifeX.2183

Actually “Rise” is only useful in PVE or situation where there’ll be 5 enemies for you to hit right? Since the number of jagged horror summoned, will be based on the number of enemies hit. (not sure if i’m wrong. but that’s what I perceived from the description O.o)

So, I don’t know.. I may still prefer other minions than “Rise”, since its usefulness varies according to number of enemies… Cos it will really sucks even in pve if there is only a single target — boss, and hence only 1 jagged horror is summoned. I would rather have 2 bone minions or other minions tbh :X…

(edited by ZeroStrifeX.2183)

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Suggestion

I really like this idea.

On topic, Rise + Death Nova is the one thing I’m really looking forward to with Reaper honestly. Jagged Horrors are only useful with Death Nova in the first place and this utility can let you pump out a lot more of them at a time, that’s a lot of death novas on the floor, a lot of area denial and poison stacking.

It will be fun to try out a hybrid Minion Bomber with Reaper bringing plenty of damage on it’s own and Rise & Bone Minions for lots of secondary AoE.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Rise! will only be used for Condi MM cheese builds that use both Rise! and Summon Bone Minions, in almost every other situation Summon Bone Minions is a better skill, for a variety of reasons.

However, hopefully they change the skill. I’m honestly not sure how they can make it interesting though, no matter what minions it summons it’ll just be a passive summon that is only strong in situations where minions themselves are weak. So to get the strongest summon effect requires you to use minions in a situation where they are weakest, really strange design.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Suggestion

I like this idea because it’ll give my MM more pets. However, the problem with this suggestion is that it creates a lot of pets.

People will cry about this and we will be nerfed a lot more.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Only one pet in a 1v1…. In more than 1v1 the minions will not live anyways.

Plus, you’re giving up a runeset for this. Are 5 jagged horrors, even traited, better than a rock dog or parrot?

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Plus, you’re giving up a runeset for this. Are 5 jagged horrors, even traited, better than a rock dog or parrot?

They apply bleeds when they attack and when they die they apply poison and weakness… what’s not to like?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

Why would you use the runes? It’s 1 jagged horror every 60s.

With bone minions, “rise!”, and the trait you get plenty. 1 more every minute is not worth using your runes. Runes that increase your damage would give you more damage because of how many death novas you already drop without the extra jagged horror every minute.

It’s not a 1v1 build. Only PvP application it has is for zergs in WvW.

But anyway it’s a PvE build that does AoE damage.

And the minions are not supposed to live. It’s a death nova build.

edit: Or are you saying if the runes were buffed to cast “Rise!”? then the runes might be good. But the problem would be you have less control over when the runes proc so you would not get the full 5 minions every time.

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

They apply bleeds when they attack and when they die they apply poison and weakness… what’s not to like?

More important than the poison and weakness, imo, is each death nova has two ticks of damage. So by spamming a bunch of weak minions you have a lot of AoE damage.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

I just can’t agree with that. Why?

The cast time is just to long to be effective at all. In most of the case you need aoe damage, the time you’ll need to cast rise will be the difference between the moment mobs are invulnerable and already dead. So in PvE, most of the time you’ll waste a skill that have 40s cool down without even hitting anything or summoning minion.

In boss (champ, legendary) fight it will just summon 1 pretty useless thing for a 40s CD… a waste.

The only use you may have for this in PvE, would be for solo leveling. Nothing more, nothing else. And solo leveling is an abysmal part of the game.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Khristophoros.7194

I just can’t agree with that. Why?

The cast time is just to long to be effective at all. In most of the case you need aoe damage, the time you’ll need to cast rise will be the difference between the moment mobs are invulnerable and already dead. So in PvE, most of the time you’ll waste a skill that have 40s cool down without even hitting anything or summoning minion.

In boss (champ, legendary) fight it will just summon 1 pretty useless thing for a 40s CD… a waste.

The only use you may have for this in PvE, would be for solo leveling. Nothing more, nothing else. And solo leveling is an abysmal part of the game.

Yeah this is why nobody uses meteor shower.

Death Nova + "Rise!"

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

Meteor shower don’t need to hit an enemy that you can damage at the end of it’s cast time to apply full effect.

This is a the whole difference between the 2. You can precast meteor shower since it’s an aoe that will last for some time and eventually hit some mobs while on the other hand you need an inhuman timing to even be able to summon your minions with rise!. The mechanisms are totally different and the bigest weakness of Rise! is the fact that it’s a skill that need to hit foes at the end of it’s cast to have an effect.

The cast time, the long CD and the need to have damageable foes in range… This just kill the skill for any practicale use in open PvE outside of solo leveling. And this is why I’m saying that this isn’t a PvE skill.

(edited by Dadnir.5038)