Death Shroud Stomping/Reviving Exploit or Bug? [my Hotjoin sPvP Match video inside]

Death Shroud Stomping/Reviving Exploit or Bug? [my Hotjoin sPvP Match video inside]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Berullos.6928

Berullos.6928

One of the hotjoin sPvP matches I did. My computer isn’t great so its hard to play with the lag/stutter. This video shows me death shroud stomping people with Grandmaster trait Foot in the Grave (30 point Trait Soul Reaping).

Necros lack stability besides a 30 point grandmaster trait in Soul reaping and death shroud is instant so should be castable during the stomp (IMO), however it isn’t and you must push both the shroud and the stomp at the same time. Due to this some people believe it is an exploit because it is not easy to do compared to other classes. I think this is just a bug and shroud was meant to be used whenever we wanted (due to it being instant and usable during CC/stuns).

Other classes that have profession based mechanic stability/invul stomps.
Mesmer = Distortion (doesn’t require traits only clones/phantasms, can be used during stomp)
Engineers = Elixer S (the direct utility can be used during a stomp, but the profession toolkit can also be used during a stomp however it is unreliable as stealth doesnt always guarantee stomps) , the toolkit is not instant cast and cannot be used during the stomp, must be precast
Elementalist = Earth Grandmaster Rock Solid (grants 2 second of stability can be used mid stomp/attunement swap)
Guardian = Virtue Master Trait Indominable Courage (grants 3 seconds of stability during Virtue of Courage, if the block itself doesnt stop the attack the stability will guarantee the stomp), can be used without traits assuming the block will stop the attack

Classes that lack profession based stomps.
Rangers (I feel bad for them. None of their pets can guarantee stomps either. I’m unsure if a MOA daze can guarantee a stomp. Spider stuns ‘may’ be possible but its really hard to do since the spiders attack really slow. I have been unable to test it. Mesmer clone daze doesn’t guarantee stomps. Rangers can use utilities [quickness], and ult signet for a guarantee)
Thieves (kinda sorta, they have stealth but its not profession mechanic based, and its not guaranteed stomps, guardians can still hit in stealth)
Warriors (not profession mechanic, however can use utilities to guarantee stomps)

I’ve asked both streamers Powerr and Xelfer and they both believe it to be an exploit.

I think its just another necro bug because death shroud is instant cast. And instant cast moves can be used during stomps/revives.

I didn’t show that you can death shroud revive as well. You can also plague revive, just start the revive first before you hit plague [Note: can get cc’d before you hit plague]

While stomping/revive you can doom at the same time since it’s instant.

I didn’t figure this out myself. I first saw it done in another video in this forum that showed him Death shroud stomping people.

(edited by Berullos.6928)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

Agree with ur take on it

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pyrial.2917

Pyrial.2917

I don’t see why you would consider it a bug. It falls in line with other abilities, more like a mist form stomp.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Arsanist.6423

Arsanist.6423

Yea I thinks its just using the skills well

Arsanist X [OSA] – Necro

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lain.2075

Lain.2075

i use this “technik” sice 10 days but today i “miss” very often with this Death Shroud Stomping o.O
for example: Warriors “2” , i Stomp they press “2” not work but after my Animation and the flag is through your heart he din’t Die … thats come so often on me T_T
is that an hotfix or what u think ?

in Necromancer

Berullos.6928

@Pyrial. I think its a bug in that its not easier to do.

Like after you push the stomp button you can hit the death shroud.

Instead of where it is currently where you gotta do both at the same time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Eileithia.5246

Eileithia.5246

Not 100% sure on this, but I believe the Stability buff remains even if you’re not in DS. You should be able to tap F1 twice quickly to get the stability buff then stomp. You lose some of the effectiveness, but I know for sure that the Retaliation on the “Gain Retailiation for 3 sec on DS” trait sticks around even if you don’t stay in DS.

in Necromancer

Berullos.6928

@ Eileithia yes that does work. However the stomp is 3 seconds and the stability is 3 seconds from activating death shroud. Dropping death shroud and then stomping takes at least half a second for it all to register.

So if the opponent times it they can interrupt you at the last second.

Also having death shroud up mitigates any damage taken while stomping. This is common what people do when they cannot stop the stomp/interrupts not up. They just try to do as much damage as they can since you’re stationary and also cause they might down you before the stomp goes off.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vadren.9045

Vadren.9045

It’s definitely a gray area and it’s probably unintended, but I wouldn’t call it an exploit.

Usually an exploit is something that is obviously unintended and gives an unfair advantage over other players who aren’t using it.

Considering the easy access other classes have to stability, the fact that the boon is so short and that it is at the end of a broken trait line; I don’t think there is any unfair advantage to be had.

I also don’t think trying to stomp and do something else at the same time is so convoluted.

Anyway don’t be upset if it gets changed, but also you aren’t going to get banned for it or need be concerned what random players think.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

The three second stability does not cover a full stomp as is. It will secure most stomps though.

You can toggle the DS on/off and retain the stability, but as mentioned above you lose a little uptime on the stability which can cause your stomp to be interrupted.

The main concern (with respect to balance) is that while you are in DS you absorb incoming damage. This has the most impact when you are reviving someone and you have full life force.

While this might not be intended, it really can’t be classified as an exploit IMO. Other classes have mechanics that help them greatly when stomping and reviving. Look at what a thief or guardian can do.

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cassius.8945

Cassius.8945

Looking at your video, I notice you switching to the horn to utilize the speed boost. This definitely seems like an unintended effect, they recently changed Spectral Walk functionality because of a similar issue.

in Necromancer

Berullos.6928

@ Cassius All classes are capable of doing this. Each class has a weapon that you can swap to for ~10 seconds of swiftness. (Bar engineer, however a 10 point trait can easily give perma swiftness by changing and rechanging the kits)

The spectral walk was changed because it basically gave necros perma swiftness with no need to actually take the spectral walk utility.

in Necromancer

Berullos.6928

Haha kittening called it a year+ ago.

Also with the addition of traveler runes giving +15% boon duration it covers 90% of the stomp without additional points in death magic.

However with 1 point in death magic and traveler runes it covers 100% of the stomp duration.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Ha? :/

Was kinda counting on traveler being enough, considering theyre kinda the best for power and for condi

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

with the upcoming change, you should be able to stomp, then activate DS AFTER to deliberately cover the entire last part of the stomp, or activate as you see incoming CC. This is the true benefit of the new change.

in Necromancer

Berullos.6928

with the upcoming change, you should be able to stomp, then activate DS AFTER to deliberately cover the entire last part of the stomp, or activate as you see incoming CC. This is the true benefit of the new change.

That remains yet to be seen how they will implement it. It it does work that way itll be great but for a majority of the time you might as well activate DS first to protect yourself. During stomps you’re extremely unsafe and punishable and having DS up to protect yourself is always better in my honest opinion.

And this is coming from someone who’s been stomping in shroud with foot in the grave for a year and a half at least.

in Necromancer

Posted by: War Mourner.5168

War Mourner.5168

I’ve had a fairly unchanged build since basically release, and while yes most of the time I would still be shroud stomping as usually, I’m just pointing out, that a good player can time CC to hit you in the 0.2s or whatever between stab dropping, and the stomp finishing, which can be mitigated doing this when needed, or even better, baiting people into using their CC, then going into DS before it hits.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Don’t forget FitG stability used when DS stomping doesn’t have enough uptime to complete a save stomp when activated at the same tiome as the stomp. The longer you wait the more chance you have to interrupt the necro. (Oh the secret was already out, sorry) ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.