Death Shroud Vs Shroud Knight

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

I think shroud knight is gonna overshadow (pun not intended) Death Shroud, due to the stipulation that life blasts gets better if you are under 600 range of the target, life blast also fires very sloooooowly compared to the new shroud knight auto attack, making all the old procs super awesome now, and mediocre with life blast. So I’m going to make a simple suggestion; remove the range restriction from life blast to compensate for its shortcomings to make it a meaningful choice, do I want to blast safely from range with all of its well known drawbacks, or do I go face to face and reap (ok this one was intended) the benefits of attacking faster.

Thoughts?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Thoughts?

Power creep.

in Necromancer

Posted by: KashimKudal.2961

KashimKudal.2961

I think shroud knight is gonna overshadow (pun not intended) Death Shroud, due to the stipulation that life blasts gets better if you are under 600 range of the target, life blast also fires very sloooooowly compared to the new shroud knight auto attack, making all the old procs super awesome now, and mediocre with life blast. So I’m going to make a simple suggestion; remove the range restriction from life blast to compensate for its shortcomings to make it a meaningful choice, do I want to blast safely from range with all of its well known drawbacks, or do I go face to face and reap (ok this one was intended) the benefits of attacking faster.

Thoughts?

I think the reason why you’re sort of culled into the 600 range on the Life Blast is because the DS 5,6 are 600 range skills. This pulls you into range to use those skills anyway. Since you can cast 6 then DS AA it makes sense in this regard. IMO if they lifted the range modifier on it they’d have to also increase the ranges of 5,6 to make it have the same feel that it does now without feeling clunky. In some instances yes DS will be out shined however it will always be the original “Second Life Bar”

Lord Abbadon – Human Necromancer – Anvil Rock
“Abaddon DOES NOT LOSE DANCE CONTESTS!!!”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Totally agree, if there is not rework on Life Blast that’s coming along with the knight shroud, DS will be totally blown out by KS.

By rework, i mostly mean increase attack speed and reduced damage to keep the same damage per second. Just that should be enough.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Necromancer

Nemitri.8172

Totally agree, if there is not rework on Life Blast that’s coming along with the knight shroud, DS will be totally blown out by KS.

By rework, i mostly mean increase attack speed and reduced damage to keep the same damage per second. Just that should be enough.

Now that you mention the attack speed increase, that’s how the underwater DS works right now, maybe that will make it not obsolete.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I don’t think Life Blast is the issue with old DS, the lack of internal synergy is. Compare the strength of being able to lay down a field then double finish on it, as well as stability and all the other really cool stuff it does. The problem isn’t that our old DS skills are weak in a direct 1 to 1 comparison, but that overall the lack of comboing makes them collectively weaker, and more boring.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: KashimKudal.2961

KashimKudal.2961

Underwater DS is a life ender tbh, the projectile is so fast and it attacks much faster also we all know since its a single hit the damage modifier on it is higher I believe and it scales easily to 7-11k hits on my Necro in WvW underwater. If they made the same to land DS AA it would be a toss up between a faster ranged nuke or front-lining to Mid-lining.

Lord Abbadon – Human Necromancer – Anvil Rock
“Abaddon DOES NOT LOSE DANCE CONTESTS!!!”

in Necromancer

Nemitri.8172

Thoughts?

Power creep.

No, that’s incorrect, power creep would be making not speccing into shroud knight a bad choice, especially what they are trying to prevent here, the new traitline is supposed to be opening new options, not making older traitlines obsolete.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

it works better w/ DS traits due to cleave and speed of attacks and fields (our own and others).

unless you absolutely want range, i don’t know why you wouldn’t prefer the new DS on reaper. they probably need to look at base DS to bring it up to snuff w/ reaper DS

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

I don’t think Life Blast is the issue with old DS, the lack of internal synergy is. Compare the strength of being able to lay down a field then double finish on it, as well as stability and all the other really cool stuff it does. The problem isn’t that our old DS skills are weak in a direct 1 to 1 comparison, but that overall the lack of comboing makes them collectively weaker, and more boring.

Well, let’s just say that I would be satisfyed with a QoL change on Life Blast. ATM, lot’s of them just don’t hit foes or cancel themself for whatever reason possible. Making the attack speed faster at the cost of damage should relieve some of these issue.

Otherwise, I think (if life stealing really end up healing through DS) that the other skill (while still in a terrible shape) will be in a good spot.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

I would like to spec into reaper for the chill traits on a condi build but the new shroud does not seem to have much use on a condition spec. I want to see some bleeds and torment in reaper’s shroud but I think it is very unlikley they will be added.

in Necromancer

Dadnir.5038

I would like to spec into reaper for the chill traits on a condi build but the new shroud does not seem to have much use on a condition spec. I want to see some bleeds and torment in reaper’s shroud but I think it is very unlikley they will be added.

You’ll have a lot of burn (dhumfire) which will be a stackable condition, poison and bleed (Barbed precision). You’ll still have fear and a bit of chill doing damage…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

You’ll have a lot of burn (dhumfire) which will be a stackable condition, poison and bleed (Barbed precision). You’ll still have fear and a bit of chill doing damage…

True but I am still sad that reaper has no access to torment

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Thoughts?

DS’s skill 4 and 5 still superior tho.

in Necromancer

Posted by: EmanioAmor.1653

EmanioAmor.1653

i’d be happy with Dark Path being ground targeted, I’ve lost count at how many times I’ve tried to pop in to cast it and it just either “misses” because the target out ran it or it just gets obstructed by a tree branch.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Thoughts?

Power creep.

No, that’s incorrect, power creep would be making not speccing into shroud knight a bad choice, especially what they are trying to prevent here, the new traitline is supposed to be opening new options, not making older traitlines obsolete.

Except not speccing into shroud knight is a bad idea because stock necro doesn’t have warrior/elementalist-tier passive health regen. The specialization is objectively better.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Technically, guys, it isn’t called Shroud Knight, it’s called Reaper’s Shroud. But either way. One thing you guys have to realize is (while right now it might be quite a lot) it is SHOULD be better as it takes up a minor spot and redefines the class.

Base could use a little bit of love though, but that really isn’t news…

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

To the OP: Life Rend won’t do extra damage within 600. That’s a Life Blast stipulation, this is a completely separate skill that simply inherits Life Blast’s traits.
It IS true that the faster attack speed will make Dhuumfire more powerful though, especially in WvW. Imagine the 3rd attack in the auto chain, which is a 360 degree pbaoe inflicting burning AND generating life force per target struct in a zerg vs zerg scenario!

However, I suspect they’ll adjust the legacy traits, so they’ll be balanced for the new skills once you equip the Reaper spec. Maybe reduce the burning on Dhuumfire, or whatever.

What I’m curious about is how on earth will the melee Life Rend work with Unyielding Blast? How can you make a melee attack pierce? Or will they just drop that and only keep the vulnerability?

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.