Death magic underperforms as a defensive line

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

First of all: Soul Comprehension
This minor is near useless. I dont recall that this trait ever helped me in pve/wvw i always had enough lf in the situations this trait would effective, so a 2% lf difference on death doesnt change any thing. In pvp things dont die that much which makes it there a useless trait unless you run a mm build but even in a mm build i dont see it that useful since the minions you want to die dont even give lf. I get it that Anet whats to have an on death trait in death magic and that is fine and good but in its current iteration the trait need so much more. Because of that i would say keep the current effect but give it something additional. Since deathmagic is supposed to be a defensive line i think the best solution would be some lifeforce regeneration. Remember the old curses trait that gave lifeforce on a crit. Give it something like that but only on hitting or getting hit.

Next up: Beyond the Veil
A long time i thought that this trait was better then it actually is. Dont get me wrong protection for you and your minions is nice but i think this trait needs a little bit more. This trait should ether also affect allies or have a slight duration increase (4 seconds).

At last i want to talk about: Unholy Sanctuary
I really want to like this trait but I think the trait currently needs too much to be good. The passiv Shroud activation is nice and good but unless the healing becomes better i dont think it is worth taking the trait. To the healing part… in my opinion for it to be good you need vp and a decent amount of healing power but that means you have to take soul reaping (for vp) and bloodmagic (if you dont take bloodmagic i dont think stacking healing power is worth it at all and even then it is debatable). Because of that i think the best would be to increase the base healing of US to something around 200.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vydahr.4285

Vydahr.4285

Just a comment on the first part of your post as a suggestion: Keep the current LF from deaths, but then add a .5% lf gain per hit you take with no ICD. Presumably, on a tanky build you’re expecting to get hit quite a lot and having a lesser version of Spectral Armor makes a lot of sense (alternately, maybe Spectrals should be in Death Magic…… Seeing as they are almost exclusively defensive skills)

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Just a comment on the first part of your post as a suggestion: Keep the current LF from deaths, but then add a .5% lf gain per hit you take with no ICD. Presumably, on a tanky build you’re expecting to get hit quite a lot and having a lesser version of Spectral Armor makes a lot of sense (alternately, maybe Spectrals should be in Death Magic…… Seeing as they are almost exclusively defensive skills)

Well that something i had in my mind as well. But i was more open to the more aggressive version also hitting your opponents. But ether way it should not depend on deaths…

in Necromancer

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Death Magic is a defensive line, but Shroud is our defense and Shroud is enhanced by Soul Reaping.

Alright meow, where were we?

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

Death Magic is a defensive line, but Shroud is our defense and Shroud is enhanced by Soul Reaping.

Shroud is practically enhanced in every line. Every line has something that specially effects shroud. So i dont really i understand your argument…

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

About the unholy sanctuary part I think it is better to swap it with the unoly martyr trait. There is synergy between unholy martyr and death magic (condition cleanse, extra toughness) and between unholy sanctuary and blood magic ( extra healing power when on low health, banshee’s wail for extra life force).

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

Shroud is practically enhanced in every line. Every line has something that specially effects shroud. So i dont really i understand your argument…

Shroud’s amount and a couple other things are affected by Soul Reaping. Everything else that can be done with it is in other lines. For instance, Death Magic. Gives you 180 extra toughness in shroud and gives you even more power in shroud. Blood Magic gives you siphons through shroud. Spite gives might in shroud. Reaper makes your shroud attack faster or boosts your defense against movement impeding condis. The list goes on

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

About the unholy sanctuary part I think it is better to swap it with the unoly martyr trait. There is synergy between unholy martyr and death magic (condition cleanse, extra toughness) and between unholy sanctuary and blood magic ( extra healing power when on low health, banshee’s wail for extra life force).

Thats actually a fair point and i actually would be fine with that but i am not convinced that Anet will see it that way. Dont forget they both came in the game at the same time and Anet specially choose to put US in Death magic not bloodmagic. I recall their reasoning was that dm is more a selfish line then bloodmagic and US, unlike martyr, is pretty selfish.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I think some kind of LF on being hit would be really nice for DM, and get rid of the current SC just so that PvE/WvW don’t get too ridiculous (since lots of things hitting you and lots of things dying happen in similar scenarios). Something like a permanent spectral effect where you gain LF on being hit, though I do think there might need to be an ICD per enemy hitting you just to prevent it from getting too ridiculous in specific matchups.

As for BtV I actually think its probably fine, maybe a 1s increase because its the GM level and can’t proc super often because flashing can’t be done. A comparable trait is Companion’s Defense, which is a tier lower, can be procced more, but is 2s not 3s.

For Unholy Sanctuary I think it would fit best as an anti-burst mechanic. Corrupter’s Fervor fills such a similar role as US currently does, but in a much better way because it constantly reduces the damage you take by a significant amount, instead of just healing your HP after you take damage. Instead, have US keep the instant bringing you to DS instead of dying, but provide something more significant for anti-burst instead of the healing over time.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Shroud’s amount and a couple other things are affected by Soul Reaping. Everything else that can be done with it is in other lines. For instance, Death Magic. Gives you 180 extra toughness in shroud and gives you even more power in shroud. Blood Magic gives you siphons through shroud. Spite gives might in shroud. Reaper makes your shroud attack faster or boosts your defense against movement impeding condis. The list goes on

And to get much out of the defensive traits for Shroud you need Shroud uptime, which Soul Reaping gives.

Actually look at defensive Soul Reaping traits:

Gluttony – better LF generation
Soul Marks – LF generation
Speed of Shadows – Quicker access to Shroud
Last Gasp – LF generation, Protection, possible stunbreak
Spectral Mastery – Instant LF generation, longer lasting LF generators
Vital Persistence – LF degeneration halved
Foot in the Grave – Stunbreak on entering Shroud

Yes, DM does have defensive traits but Corruptors Fervor is the only non-Shroud trait that really increases survivability (Minions notwithstanding). Basically what I’m saying is that Shroud is so important that Soul Reaping overshadows Death Magic as a defensive tool by allowing you faster LF generation, faster re-entry to Shroud, and more ways of generating LF. 180 Toughness in Shroud only matter if you are in Shroud after all. Unholy Sanctuary need a good buff, it heals for 130 health/second on a 19000 health class… that’s about 0.7% of your health per second.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

And to get much out of the defensive traits for Shroud you need Shroud uptime, which Soul Reaping gives.

Yes, DM does have defensive traits but Corruptors Fervor is the only non-Shroud trait that really increases survivability (Minions notwithstanding). Basically what I’m saying is that Shroud is so important that Soul Reaping overshadows Death Magic as a defensive tool by allowing you faster LF generation, faster re-entry to Shroud, and more ways of generating LF. 180 Toughness in Shroud only matter if you are in Shroud after all. Unholy Sanctuary need a good buff, it heals for 130 health/second on a 19000 health class… that’s about 0.7% of your health per second.

Unholy Sanctuary is actually worse than that, practically speaking, considering most builds don’t use Death Magic unless they’re building more HP and Toughness, which means it’s an even smaller fraction of a percent of healing per second

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

meow one twenty.4376

Unholy Sanctuary is actually worse than that, practically speaking, considering most builds don’t use Death Magic unless they’re building more HP and Toughness, which means it’s an even smaller fraction of a percent of healing per second

I even rounded up.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I disagree with your assesment on Unholy Sanctuary (although I wouldn’t say no to a buff", but the rest of the tree does need help.

All three minors are a bit underwhelming. Armored Shroud is okay, given it’s adept and 180 bonus stats isn’t an insignificant amount (banners and aura boosts only give 150), but given Shroud’s natural 50% damage reduction, it’s hard to notice.

Soul Comprehension just needs to go away entirely. It maybe results in half a percent of your total life force gain in a fight. Usually less. Regardless, if it got replaced, I’d be thrilled. Potential idea: replace it with “gain Retaliation when you’re critically hit” with a cooldown (10 seconds?). Makes focusing the Necro a little less attractive, although admittedly it wouldn’t do a lot in PvE.

Beyond the Veil…just up the duration to 4 seconds and I’d call it good.

Reaper’s Protection and Putrid Defense could also use some attention. Reaper’s Protection is okay, but doesn’t trigger often enough for me to justify it over either of the other choices, let alone justifying the trait line. Putrid Defense just never really has a good time to use it. In PvE, the damage reduction is largely not worthwhile and in PvP, the condition removal from Shrouded Removal is just too important to pass up.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

I even rounded up.

Yeah, for a 28k hp soldier reaper…. it’s only about half a percent, sadly

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Thats actually a fair point and i actually would be fine with that but i am not convinced that Anet will see it that way. Dont forget they both came in the game at the same time and Anet specially choose to put US in Death magic not bloodmagic. I recall their reasoning was that dm is more a selfish line then bloodmagic and US, unlike martyr, is pretty selfish.

I’m still looking for the group support in quickening thirst, banshee’s wail and vampiric.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Blood Magic is the healing line, specifically. It isn’t just team support, it is anything to do with healing, so Unholy Sanctuary’s healing would fit the line way better for sure. Death Magic on the other hand is more about mitigation, though I think US’s shroud-proc fits DM better. I wouldn’t want UM in DM though, it has the same problem US has already, which is that CF is an amazing mitigation tool and so having two sustain GMs in the same line makes little sense. The third GM needs to be a burst mitigation trait of some sort to differentiate itself from CF, and also to provide that currently missing niche.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

I disagree with your assesment on Unholy Sanctuary (although I wouldn’t say no to a buff", but the rest of the tree does need help.

The passive shroud activation is really nice but given that shroud only has a base cooldown of 10 seconds i dont see it as the main selling point of US. Unless the trait gets changed completly i think it needs to heal more. Heck with bb and spite i can get atleast double the hps if not more.

Soul Comprehension just needs to go away entirely. It maybe results in half a percent of your total life force gain in a fight. Usually less. Regardless, if it got replaced, I’d be thrilled. Potential idea: replace it with “gain Retaliation when you’re critically hit” with a cooldown (10 seconds?). Makes focusing the Necro a little less attractive, although admittedly it wouldn’t do a lot in PvE.

I wont disagree with your statement that soul comprehension needs to go away but i recall a dev saying (i think it was Gee) that they want to have some kind of on death trait in death magic (i find it kinda kitten but what ever) hence why i said give it an additional effect. While giving it retal on a critical hit is not bad i think lf on getting hit may be better defensive wise.

Reaper’s Protection and Putrid Defense could also use some attention. Reaper’s Protection is okay, but doesn’t trigger often enough for me to justify it over either of the other choices, let alone justifying the trait line. Putrid Defense just never really has a good time to use it. In PvE, the damage reduction is largely not worthwhile and in PvP, the condition removal from Shrouded Removal is just too important to pass up.

Well i would say putrid defense is not bad for a adapt. Shrouded removel is for conditions and putrid defense is for direct damage. I would probably take it in a carrion build if i ever would take dm over spite or reaper.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Goldenrevolver.4371

Goldenrevolver.4371

i have a completely different impression for pve. the defense is mostly not needed in anything really but with our new toys even my full zerker necro can facetank the most ridiculous champs or even legends. so they need to be very careful when buffing it for pvp.

heres my setup:

-armored shroud 180 toughness while in rs
-"rise" to get an instant cast 50% damage reduction. the minions take your damage and themselves have a 95% damage reduction so they aint gonna die.
-cold shoulder is a 10% damage reduction when the enemy is chilled which has a decent uptime.
-putrid defense is another 10% damage reduction when the enemy is poisoned.
-frost armor is another 20% damage reduction.
-corrupters fervor is 300 toughness and 20% condition damage reduction which is always up while youre in reapers shroud.

so basically you run up to the boss (in full zerker) throw your wells down, instant cast "rise", go into reapers shroud and go rs5->rs4->r2 to get not only a lot of damage (both rs4 and r2 are dps increases over the autoattack) but also a lot of chill, a nice burst of poison and frost armor. after that "unyielding blast" guarantees that u stay at 10 stacks "corrupters fervor" and u do the rotation again. u can use "chilled to the bone" or "lich" and your heal skill (im using "ysim" shout atm) as needed. theres only a tiny section where u are vulnerable when "rise" minions arent up and youre out of shroud. i think buffing death magic more would trivialize pve even more than it is already by chronomancers and revenants.

its of course a damage loss with losing the potencial to use gravedigger effectively due to the loss of crit chance, losing all the might from spite and losing "close to death" and "spiteful talisman" but "chilling victory" and "deadly strength" balance it out a little.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhF6kZTolGsmGwbTgDHssOUS579uvxv/9//UBwBkmA-TxRBABXp8jm9HwTfwDnCAAeCAUq+jZKBBA-e

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

i have a completely different impression for pve. the defense is mostly not needed in anything really but with our new toys even my full zerker necro can facetank the most ridiculous champs or even legends. so they need to be very careful when buffing it for pvp.

heres my setup:

-“rise” to get an instant cast 50% damage reduction. the minions take your damage and themselves have a 95% damage reduction so they aint gonna die.
-cold shoulder is a 10% damage reduction when the enemy is chilled which has a decent uptime.
-corrupters fervor is 300 toughness and 20% condition damage reduction which is always up while youre in reapers shroud.

so basically you run up to the boss (in full zerker) throw your wells down, instant cast “rise”, go into reapers shroud and go rs5->rs4->r2 to get not only a lot of damage (both rs4 and r2 are dps increases over the autoattack) but also a lot of chill, a nice burst of poison and frost armor. after that “unyielding blast” guarantees that u stay at 10 stacks “corrupters fervor” and u do the rotation again. u can use “chilled to the bone” or “lich” and your heal skill (im using “ysim” shout atm) as needed. theres only a tiny section where u are vulnerable when “rise” minions arent up and youre out of shroud. i think buffing death magic more would trivialize pve even more than it is already by chronomancers and revenants.

its of course a damage loss with losing the potencial to use gravedigger effectively due to the loss of crit chance, losing all the might from spite and losing “close to death” and “spiteful talisman” but “chilling victory” and “deadly strength” balance it out a little.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhF6kZTolGsmGwbTgDHssOUS579uvxv/9//UBwBkmA-TxRBABXp8jm9HwTfwDnCAAeCAUq+jZKBBA-e

First of frost armor is 10% not 20%. Second corruptors frevor cannot be taken with US, so i dont see a problem there. Soul comprehensions is a nearly useless minor even in pve and i doubt a extra second or ally support on btv will change much to your described situation.

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

heres my setup:

-“rise” to get an instant cast 50% damage reduction. the minions take your damage and themselves have a 95% damage reduction so they aint gonna die.

so basically you run up to the boss (in full zerker) throw your wells down, instant cast “rise”, go into reapers shroud and go rs5->rs4->r2 to get not only a lot of damage (both rs4 and r2 are dps increases over the autoattack) but also a lot of chill, a nice burst of poison and frost armor. after that “unyielding blast” guarantees that u stay at 10 stacks “corrupters fervor” and u do the rotation again. u can use “chilled to the bone” or “lich” and your heal skill (im using “ysim” shout atm) as needed. theres only a tiny section where u are vulnerable when “rise” minions arent up and youre out of shroud. i think buffing death magic more would trivialize pve even more than it is already by chronomancers and revenants.

its of course a damage loss with losing the potencial to use gravedigger effectively due to the loss of crit chance, losing all the might from spite and losing “close to death” and “spiteful talisman” but “chilling victory” and “deadly strength” balance it out a little.

First of frost armor is 10% not 20%. Second corruptors frevor cannot be taken with US, so i dont see a problem there. Soul comprehensions is a nearly useless minor even in pve and i doubt a extra second or ally support on btv will change much to your described situation.

Frost Armor on a Reaper is essentially 20% mitigation, because of Reaper’s inherent durability against chilled targets (10%) plus the 10% from the frost armor itself

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Muchacho.2390

heres my setup:

Frost Armor on a Reaper is essentially 20% mitigation, because of Reaper’s inherent durability against chilled targets (10%) plus the 10% from the frost armor itself

Well he listed cold shoulder so… also having perma chill on pve mobs is not difficult (if they can affected by chill)…

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

That isn’t how mitigation works though, though it isn’t a huge change each one has diminishing returns, so two 10% damage reductions is only 19%.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Vydahr.4285

That isn’t how mitigation works though, though it isn’t a huge change each one has diminishing returns, so two 10% damage reductions is only 19%.

How far could you stack up damage mitigation on a Reaper, ideally? Between Rise! and all the other traits we have, it’s probably pretty significant (especially in shroud with the unlisted mitigation)

Drahvienn
Sylvari Power Reaper

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Frost Armor, Cold Shoulder, Putrid Defense, Rise!, innate Shroud reduction, protection, is just shy of 88% direct damage reduction, applied after armor.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Goldenrevolver.4371

yes sorry the frost armor was a typo. thx for the correction. i know how %damage reductions dont stack additively but multiplicatively. also we dont really know "rise" works as its not simply a damage reduction but the damage is taken by the minions, so before mitigation? or after mitigation? needs more testing...

but tldr death magic has some nice traits and synergys.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I think an interesting GM for death magic would be something that turns life force into a sort of passive Mana Shield.

I.E. something like 20-30% of direct/condi dmg you take is taken from life force instead or something like that. Could be a good way to have a build that uses death shroud purely for utility or something. Like if lets say you have a build that generates too much life force so in order to effectively use it to tank damage you’d have to sit in death shroud too much and only auto attack all the time.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

yes sorry the frost armor was a typo. thx for the correction. i know how %damage reductions dont stack additively but multiplicatively. also we dont really know “rise” works as its not simply a damage reduction but the damage is taken by the minions, so before mitigation? or after mitigation? needs more testing…

but tldr death magic has some nice traits and synergys.

Yeah, I think it would be more like :

10% – 10% – 10% – 33% = 51.89% dmg reduction then another 50% transfered to minions. So 75.9% damage reduction after rise.

in Necromancer

Goldenrevolver.4371

Yeah, I think it would be more like :

10% – 10% – 10% – 33% = 51.89% dmg reduction then another 50% transfered to minions. So 75.9% damage reduction after rise.

yeah that sounds about right