Dhuumfire in Curses, thoughts?

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Hey all, I just wanted to strike up a little discussion about Dhuumfire and its placement, and without making suggestions, I wanted to hear a bit for either side of this.

So my consideration here is to move Dhuumfire from Soul Reaping to Curses, as a GM trait. What would peoples’ general thoughts be on its placement?

Why I bring it up:
- It allows condition Necros to only require a single line for condition damage purposes, allowing Blast access to a condition in the condition tree.
- As such, better diversity.
- Curses has a better PVE trait.
- More interesting Diversity.

Potential problems:
- Merge with another GM, or replace one, what would go where?
- Potential builds that it steps on. (Any movement obviously affects some build lay out.)
- Preferences not aligning with the change in general.

So, again this is not directly a suggestion, but I wanted to get some other Necromancer feedback in regards to Dhuumfire placement and what their thoughts might be on this. So keep it civil, jut curious to pick your brains on the implications this might have.

Thanks for any input and feedback.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Onerios.4962

Onerios.4962

Mixed feelings about it as it would then be in competition with weakening shroud, a trait that I really like and try to incorporate into lots of builds, assuming no other changes. Also kind of depends on what your going to put back into soul reaping as its replacement, on the pvp front your running into the soul marks / vital persistence issue so you could end up in a situation where you feel you need to take the trait line but none of the GMs really fit.

I can kind of see it if there was another sweeping trait rework, but just by itself I think it would cause more problems then it fixes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

How’s Dhuumfire a PvE trait? Curses already has one PvE trait and it’s Lingering. That tiny bit of burning requiring you to camp Shroud in PvE for some reason doesn’t sound particulary interesting.

Curses already suffers from Devs trying to squeeze everything that makes Condition Necromancer anything into one single specialization, while rest are there for Reaper. Adding even more stuff to Curses makes this specialization even more terrible.

It wouldn’t add any diversity. People would still choose exact same Specializations, only diversity change would’ve been people forgetting about hybrid or condi Reaper.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

My thoughts on dhuumfire’s placement in soul reaping:

The problem is just that the concept does not work with base necro and even reaper is questionable. The effect is also quite weak. It is placed at the right traitline for its effect though, the piercing, vulnerability and life degen reduction fit it very well.

My thoughts on dhuumfire’s placement in Curses:

If for some reason you still want to place it in Curses ( which I consider just a little bit below soul reaping in terms of being a good place for dhuumfire) , I would suggest merging it with parasitic contagion and allowing parasitic contagion to work while in DS. This gives parasitic contagion the option to restore health in death shroud while still maintaining (some) condition pressure. Plus if you take curses and soul reaping you could take death perception for some extra synergy with barbed precision and plague sending. It would still require some scepter/staff rework in terms of life force/condi pressure.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Thematically, I think it suits Soul Reaping best, as it encourages camping in Shroud.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

No Dhummfire seems fine it’s Life Blast that doesn’t support it. Safest solution is Life Blast hitting twice.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

How’s Dhuumfire a PvE trait? Curses already has one PvE trait and it’s Lingering. That tiny bit of burning requiring you to camp Shroud in PvE for some reason doesn’t sound particulary interesting.

Curses already suffers from Devs trying to squeeze everything that makes Condition Necromancer anything into one single specialization, while rest are there for Reaper. Adding even more stuff to Curses makes this specialization even more terrible.

It wouldn’t add any diversity. People would still choose exact same Specializations, only diversity change would’ve been people forgetting about hybrid or condi Reaper.

Couple notes:
- What would peoples’ opinions be (/ how would they change) if Vital Persistence was base line, making SR less pvp-mandatory (meaning Spite/Curses/Other would be more viable).
- I do realize this would impact PVE builds which may use Dhuumfire for padding Reaper DPS above 50%, and is a personal concern.
- A large consideration for this is to make better use out of Spite/Curses/Reaper builds, something I feel would be fun, but not overly effective without Dhuumfire.

Good discussion though, keep the thoughts flowing. This is specifically why I didn’t suggest this, but more wanted to get some perspectives going.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

PvE Reapers won’t use Dhuumfire or SR in raids. It’s gonna be Spite/Blood Magic/Reaper. The only group utility line you bring is blood magic and however weak it may be, it’s the only thing you’ve got and you want that well cd reduction as well.

So moving Dhuumfire to curses doesn’t affect PvE people as much as it does hybrid pvp necromancers.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ara.4569

Ara.4569

I can’t think of anything but Reaper lately, so bear with me.

The incentive to play Reaper with Curses is already very high: RS2 that chill and corrupt on 5-6 sec CD? Very appealing!

I can’t see any major change with that Dhuumfire move, besides, maybe, Spite dropped in favor of Curses for some players.

Every time I think about Dhuumfire, it’s to blame it for holding us back since its creation. Along Spite’s might stacking, I believe it plays a strong role in RS1’s atrocious base damage.

I want it removed and replaced by a better mechanic.

Balance team is a bunch of clowns, hurting the game to the full extent of their abilities.

(edited by Ara.4569)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

- What would peoples’ opinions be (/ how would they change) if Vital Persistence was base line, making SR less pvp-mandatory (meaning Spite/Curses/Other would be more viable).

If Vital Persistance was baseline I would move it to Curses as described in my previous post since I now consider Curses more or less equal to Soul Reaping in terms of favoring dhuumfire for base necro, but reaper does gain less benifit (no piercing and without Soul Reaping reaper still has decent life force generation) from soul reaping and might take spite instead.

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

The curses grandmasters are pretty good to give up, especially weakening shroud.
And I also disagree with the vital persistence baseline, it would make us too tanky. Dhuumfire is in its correct place in my opinion. it could maybe use some kind of improvement, but there was a pretty extensive thread with suggestions about that.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

The curses grandmasters are pretty good to give up, especially weakening shroud.
And I also disagree with the vital persistence baseline, it would make us too tanky. Dhuumfire is in its correct place in my opinion. it could maybe use some kind of improvement, but there was a pretty extensive thread with suggestions about that.

Possibly, in regards to the Dhuumfire discussion. But I whole-heartedly disagree about the “too tanky” comment in regards to VP. Pretty much every build in PVP runs it as it stands. Baselining it (so long as you nerf Spectral Mastery and don’t introduce some other alternative that would push Soul Reaping into a power creep), it would simply allow other builds to not take Soul Reaping. Any non-Soul Reaping build would still be less tanky than a Soul Reaping build as it stands because of all of the other Life Force-based traits and minors.

The trick isn’t preventing other builds from becoming too tanky, as VP already prevents much of that diversity, the bigger issue is making sure whatever you do with Soul Reaping after VP was made base-line doesn’t cause it to become stronger overall.

As it stands, Necromancer are both too squishy and a bit clunky (especially Reaper) without the trait/trait line. Giving some of that defense to the class would greatly reduce the necessity of soul reaping.

I do agree though, it would probably be a bit of a task to ensure that Soul Reaping itself doesn’t see too much of a power boost if it were to happen. But either way, I hope it happens eventually because being force into SR because of one trait gets rather tiresome.

(Note: Who knows, this might be significantly less of an issue if Gee ends up adding more LF to Axe/Scepter.)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Pelopidas.2140

Pelopidas.2140

Maybe nerf Vital Persistence to 25%, then make baseline.

Also improve Fear of Death somehow so that vital persistence isnt as vital, for example merge terror+fear duration, and change fear of death to something different. Thing is, I don’t know if fear duration isnt merged with terror in purpose already.

in Necromancer

Posted by: act.6302

act.6302

Yea, I reckon it should be moved to curses, it makes more sense to me. But I also reckon there should be some other changes… I have gone through and kinda reordered our traits to have thematic trait lines, like the reaper does. Check it out if you are interested.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Reworking-our-traits-synergy-and-theme/first#post5510977

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I think it would make sense to be in curses as well as even just make it a minor. It’s so weak the only reason to take it is so your shroud is at least able to do some Condi damage. And merge terror and master of terror to curses.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I don’t think Dhuumfire belongs in Curses any more than Soul Reaping. It is a Shroud trait every bit as much as a Condition one, and most importantly it provides Condition builds with a second trait line to pick up condition based offense. Loading all conditions into Curses is the opposite of what we want, though arguably Curses should have a better GM level damage focused trait.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: jacim.5904

jacim.5904

I think Dhuumfire should be moved to Curses, my reason for it is that if you look at both of the other grandmaster traits from Soul Reaping they benefit you no matter what type of build you are running. Unlike the other two Dhuumfire only seems to be built to benefit one specific type of build, condi so it would be nice seeing it moved to the trait line that seems to be made to improve your condi builds. I would like to seem them add a grandmaster in Soul Reaping that increases both condi and power dps in the form of a multiplier or see them add something like the warrior has increasing again your condi and power dps for a certain amout of time after you use your shroud.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

I don’t like this because it would make curses feel congested. I don’t want to have to choose between dhuumfire and weakening shroud

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

random thought,

what about just straight swapping weakening shroud with dhumfire???

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

My first thought was to rework it in SR to have synergy with Reaper’s Deathly Chill such as increased chill damage.

Regarding your suggestion, if Dhuumfire was to go to Curses, i would combine it with Lingering Curse so that trait is not completely useless in DS or running another weapon.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

random thought,

what about just straight swapping weakening shroud with dhumfire???

That would make even worse the current problem Curses has: no options outside condis in Grandmaster tier.
With the change you propose we will end up with 3 condi-related traits in Grandmaster. NO, PLEASE NO!

~ The light of a new day

in Necromancer

Posted by: dost.4209

dost.4209

Then one option left. Just remove the dhumfire trait and make the shrouds skill 1 stack fire on its own. How is it ? too Op ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Then one option left. Just remove the dhumfire trait and make the shrouds skill 1 stack fire on its own. How is it ? too Op ?

I propose a removal of chilling darkness and instead replace it with dhuumfire!

Your shroud 1 inflicts burn, whenever you chill an opponent you also inflict burn.

All in favor! Burn a sylvari! All not in favor, burn with a sylvari!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Mmmmmm, roasted veggies – Humes like it, Norns laugh at it while drinking beer, Charr laugh at anyone who will actually thinks it’s food, and Asura are weary of experimenting on them.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)