Did ANET promise group-support?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Cause I don’t think they did, and I’m hearing a lot of people complain because of lack of group support for necro and its elite spec. Apparently just not being designed to be a support class – is off the table for some people. I love the elite spec, don’t care if it doesn’t bring group support, and if I wanted to support my group, I wouldn’t be playing my Necro, I’d be playing my Guardian or Elementalist.

Elite specs aren’t catered to the small minority that is the forum-speakers, nor were they ever supposed to give every profession access to every role. Just enjoy the breath of fresh air that are these changes, and again, if you’re so gung-ho on being a group-support player, then why are you playing Necromancer?

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Necromancer

Posted by: Megane.2103

Megane.2103

Excuse me? Why can every profession but Necromancer group support like a boss. Why exactly is this okay with you? Some people just want actual utility that isn’t garbage or actually mobility. we have meother. Our personal utility is pretty so-so and our group utility comes down to a single good well and that’s basically it.

If lifestealing wasn’t a joke in this game, our wells would make sense. Our entire profession would be much more powerful and it might even make up for the lack of mobility, but as it stands everything about our fields and finishers and boon application is garbage, save for a single well that transforms conditions into boons.

I have no idea why they don’t want Necromancer to feel fun. Its going to be really sad when people still just run away from us at five times the rate we could run at them slowly when things go south, or when Necros are still passed up for dungeons, because while they do damage they don’t really stack good boons or have utility an Engineer could do ten times better or an Elementalist just laughs at.

The reason people are upset is that really, the specialization changes nothing that matters. Instead of using a dagger or scepter now, you’re going to swing a sword. Big deal.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

and if I wanted to support my group, I wouldn’t be playing my Necro, I’d be playing my Guardian or Elementalist.

And as long as this is the case, Necro will not be wanted in dungeons.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Warcry.8914

Warcry.8914

What’s your definition of support?

I notice you play a thief and are able to support your party via stealth fields, interrupts, projectile defense and blinds. Would asking for something along those lines really be too much for you?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

The biggest downfall of PvE is that the definition of “group support” is strictly defined to include things a Necromancer doesn’t do. I blame the design of PvE, not the design of Necromancer.

Plus, Shouts may still apply unique debuffs to enemies that indirectly support the party. No one knows yet.

Also, if anyone is going to say that Necromancer doesn’t feel fun, please don’t presume that everyone agrees. Necro in its current incarnation is more fun for me than any other class, and it looks like it’s just getting more fun.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

The biggest downfall of PvE is that the definition of “group support” is strictly defined to include things a Necromancer doesn’t do. I blame the design of PvE, not the design of Necromancer.

Plus, Shouts may still apply unique debuffs to enemies that indirectly support the party. No one knows yet.

Also, if anyone is going to say that Necromancer doesn’t feel fun, please don’t presume that everyone agrees. Necro in its current incarnation is more fun for me than any other class, and it looks like it’s just getting more fun.

+1 /15char

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Turk.5460

I notice you play a thief and are able to support your party via stealth fields, interrupts, projectile defense and blinds. Would asking for something along those lines really be too much for you?

Apparently the only class I play ever is Thief.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

This is one of the biggest things people seem to fail to understand. The necromancer isn’t meant by design to party-stack 25 might. They offer TONS of support, just not pro-damage-based support. They focus heavily on debuffs and AOE damage. That’s why they’re widely regarded as the single most important class to have in WvW and GvG; your hammertrain and might stacking can be amazing, but if you’re countered by opposing defenses and your own defenses are negated by a necro or two, it’s all over.

While I’m not a big fan of the necro as it is currently, the Reaper spec looks like a blast.

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

I dont understand why any necro would want Anet to change the “offense as defense” core philosophy of the class so you can corner stack / speed run like everyone else.

Boggles the mind. PvE is boring. Essentially, you’re asking Anet to make Necros do the EXACT same thing other classes can do for PvE so you can run and stack and dps or support the EXACT same way over and over and over and over again? Why? Why even bother? It makes no sense.

“Anet allow necros to also be allowed to stack and speed run like a mindless drone pls”
- Necro Commmunity

I say no. I say Anet, please do not add content designed to fit (or support) a dull zerker meta for a dull grind /speed clear mode of the game. However, I would ask that anet do something to make necromancers viable like work on the cause / source of the problem: the dungeons.

in Necromancer

Turk.5460

and if I wanted to support my group, I wouldn’t be playing my Necro, I’d be playing my Guardian or Elementalist.

What dungeon runners even care what profession joins up? I’ve yet to see a single lfg complain about any profession that joined. Whatever elitist mentality these players (you claim to refuse Necros) have isn’t a healthy one that promotes the fun nature of games like this. “We must run this dungeon 15.2 seconds faster than the last time.”
Ok no, that’s not the overwhelming majority of players definition of fun.

-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

What dungeon runners even care what profession joins up? I’ve yet to see a single lfg complain about any profession that joined. Whatever elitist mentality these players (you claim to refuse Necros) have isn’t a healthy one that promotes the fun nature of games like this. “We must run this dungeon 15.2 seconds faster than the last time.”

I’ve never been refused or kicked because I’m a Necro. But I have all classes at lvl80 and geared. And I know objectively for a fact that when I play my Necro main I bring nothing of worth that I couldn’t do better on another class. And completing the dungeon runs fast is the only fun to be had in GW2’s PvE. The content itself is about as fast as watching paint dry.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

Then you, fine sir, haven’t played Necro a lot. At least outside of maybe Ascalon Catacombs. Sure, up to CoF you usually find half “no necro” groups and half that don’t give a kitten, but try finding a group for Arah with randoms(and actually complete it) as a Necromancer. It took me like 6 hours or more, because there half is “selling dungeon path”, and another 40% is “only meta exp 5k AP +!!!!111!!1” , or “no necro”, or “gearcheck only meta”, or “zerker only!”, or simply joina group that doesn’T state these things and gets instantly kicked.

The only reason i managed to get a run done, was because of an extremely chilled guardian and ele duo that made a full clear of path 1. Meaning killing every single mob in the entire dungeon, instead of cornerstacking and skipping 80% of the run.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

The more I read from people, the more I’m convinced the PvE fault lies in PvE. Any time someone mentions skipping any part of the instance, or that completing content quickly is the only fun to be had, they strengthen the idea that the design is an issue. Why exactly are we trying to tailor Necromancer to a stale experience that people seem to resent?

I want ANet to step up their PvE game. Give me interesting fights. Don’t let players stack every fight. Add mechanics that keep people from skipping content, and don’t add superfluous time-wasting content people try their hardest to skip. Don’t let boss fights stay cheese-able through some stupid positioning tactic.

I raided for years in WoW. I raid currently in FF XIV. I think GW2’s combat blows the combat of those two games out of the water, but PvE I’ve done in GW2 has only been entertaining because I enjoyed playing the game with people I grouped with. I felt no incentive to ever do Mists more than a few times, because it didn’t feel exciting. Dungeons were ruined for me because we’d get to a boss and someone would be like “Run up here, then the boss can’t attack”, and it was like “Oh. I guess I didn’t want to actually do mechanics for the sake of some tiny reward”.

It’s easier to ask for a class to be changed to fit the current PvE meta. But I’ll never agree with that approach.

in Necromancer

Posted by: OlliX.1705

OlliX.1705

Anet did not promise group support, but the necro community have been asking for this for a while now. When the new traits were revealed we got nothing, and it looks like it might be the case here too.

I’m not expecting necro to play like any other profession, I just want to feel useful and know that I’m contributing to the party I’m in. As it stands now, Necro is the only class where I feel next to useless when doing dungeons.

[qT] Necro main.

in Necromancer

Posted by: EvilToaster.7406

EvilToaster.7406

The more I read from people, the more I’m convinced the PvE fault lies in PvE. Any time someone mentions skipping any part of the instance, or that completing content quickly is the only fun to be had, they strengthen the idea that the design is an issue. Why exactly are we trying to tailor Necromancer to a stale experience that people seem to resent?

I want ANet to step up their PvE game. Give me interesting fights. Don’t let players stack every fight. Add mechanics that keep people from skipping content, and don’t add superfluous time-wasting content people try their hardest to skip. Don’t let boss fights stay cheese-able through some stupid positioning tactic.

I raided for years in WoW. I raid currently in FF XIV. I think GW2’s combat blows the combat of those two games out of the water, but PvE I’ve done in GW2 has only been entertaining because I enjoyed playing the game with people I grouped with. I felt no incentive to ever do Mists more than a few times, because it didn’t feel exciting. Dungeons were ruined for me because we’d get to a boss and someone would be like “Run up here, then the boss can’t attack”, and it was like “Oh. I guess I didn’t want to actually do mechanics for the sake of some tiny reward”.

It’s easier to ask for a class to be changed to fit the current PvE meta. But I’ll never agree with that approach.

Necros issues have nothing to do with the PvE meta. Even if you never stacked up on bosses or pulled things around corners, necros still would be unwanted. This is because they lack any worthwhile support such as Reflects, might stacking, stealth, or %Damage/stat boosts like banners or spotter.

Honestly if one of the shouts or reaper skills is something like “Mark Target(s) for death, increasing all damage received by x%” Then necros would have a much better place in pve. As a bonus, something like a ferocity version of spotter would also be amazing.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

I totally agree. The most fun runs/bossfights I have is if the group is a chillin’ (no reaper-pun intended) and doing it without stacking. Although I have to admit, doing the part with the holos and generator machines in Aetherpath is cringeworthy without stacking, and the part in the bossroom literally forces you to stand ontop of each other lest you wanna be grilled by le floor.

So yeah, a lot of it is a design flaw in PvE content. Although I have to admit, the boss-ideas n stuff in the Living Story season 2 were great alot of times (then again, I solo’d it…). Like the Bosses in Glints Lair… If they made that mechanic again, but with the need of ALL party members using the vortexes at the same time to bring down a shield on the boss, that would already be awesome. And the floordamage and spawning only ~2 of the facettes would ensure only two people bashing the boss in melee… And with the movement pattern of a lot of the LS2 bosses you couldn’t drag them into a corner in the first place.

in Necromancer

Posted by: idontnoso.9850

idontnoso.9850

Cause I don’t think they did, and I’m hearing a lot of people complain because of lack of group support for necro and its elite spec. Apparently just not being designed to be a support class – is off the table for some people. I love the elite spec, don’t care if it doesn’t bring group support, and if I wanted to support my group, I wouldn’t be playing my Necro, I’d be playing my Guardian or Elementalist.

Elite specs aren’t catered to the small minority that is the forum-speakers, nor were they ever supposed to give every profession access to every role. Just enjoy the breath of fresh air that are these changes, and again, if you’re so gung-ho on being a group-support player, then why are you playing Necromancer?

Ok so lemme touch on your comments:
1. no. Anent never promised us anything.
2. I’m sure there are a ton of people, including myself, who love the new spec but there will also be people who don’t (its inevitable).
3. Most people who are slightly upset, are upset because there are still a ton of issues that the Necromancer has, that could possible be overlooked AGAIN! (ex horrible minions, sucky siphoning, lack of support (not boons, just general support), and the ability to survive being focused but large groups of enemies. These are issues that have persisted, and Anet keeps turning a blind eye towards our situation. Yet, every other class gets things fixed in no time. Best example of this is our situation with our minions. If you haven’t noticed, our minion AI is complete bull, and this issue has been going on for months, and nothing has happened. So yea, the necro community does want to be heard otherwise this class would fall apart.
4. We don’t want to be able to stack 25 might easily, we just need some sort of utility that makes dungeons more easy using a unique ability that no other class can bring. Stealth isn’t an op boon, but it makes runs a bit more smooth, and can make rezing downed allies easy. Unless there is a boss that spreads major conditions that the necro will need to suck up, I doubt we will ever be needed. Plus there are universal bosses where reflects/blocks/projectile blocks are required, and we have absolutely none of those.
5. The elite specs shouldn’t be aimed towards the minority, I agree there. Yet if you go through months and months of necro forum posts, you will see that these issue are being stated over and over again by the MAJORITY of the necro community. I dunno about you, but if a LARGE amount of people are complaining about the SAME thing for MONTHS, I would assume something needs to be done.
6. The necro community is a stubborn one. We love the necro, but we also hate it. We want to keep playing it, but its continuously frustrating for us see other classes doing everything we can do but better. We offer no unique utilities that make people wanna go “we need a necro for this part” (referring to a dungeon).
7. In all honesty, I doubt you’ve played the necro that long to notice the issues that it’s mechanics have. I’m sure if you play if for a solid 3 months you will see everything wrong with it. HECK you can just look up videos, there are a TON of them. They will demonstrate everything wrong with it in no time. 30 minutes tops. That’s bad considering that there are videos out there that take 30 minutes to discuss issues with 1 class.

in Necromancer

Posted by: idontnoso.9850

idontnoso.9850

In the end, everything I just said could be wrong, but we just have to wait for the POI tomorrow. And if Anet just gave us more dps, the forums are going to explode more than they already have.

Can’t wait

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I just proper attrition and removal of our limitations, necro doesn’t have to bring support it could bring it’s unique utility but mobs doesn’t favor it especially boon/condition control. So far to me Reaper just looks good I guess we should be more focused on core specializations.

The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vizardlorde.8243

Vizardlorde.8243

The best support from thief is nearly limitless blast finishers imo.

This is one of the biggest things people seem to fail to understand. The necromancer isn’t meant by design to party-stack 25 might. They offer TONS of support, just not pro-damage-based support. They focus heavily on debuffs and AOE damage. That’s why they’re widely regarded as the single most important class to have in WvW and GvG; your hammertrain and might stacking can be amazing, but if you’re countered by opposing defenses and your own defenses are negated by a necro or two, it’s all over.

While I’m not a big fan of the necro as it is currently, the Reaper spec looks like a blast.

I heard people are calling it GWE in WvW now :p

(edited by Vizardlorde.8243)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

if you’re so gung-ho on being a group-support player, then why are you playing Necromancer?

Let me rephrase it for you: ‘if you are so gung ho on not being a dead weight in any reasonably competitive content, then why are you playing a necromancer?’

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Like the Bosses in Glints Lair… If they made that mechanic again, but with the need of ALL party members using the vortexes at the same time to bring down a shield on the boss, that would already be awesome.

You mean those encounters where you have to forget about the game’s actual combat style and just press 1 button? those are the mechanics you found great?

in Necromancer

Vizardlorde.8243

Ok how about this " we need perma 25 stacks of might, fury, banners, Spotter and Frost spirit, reflects, stealth and Icebow" can the necro provide any of those to get a spot?

Like the Bosses in Glints Lair… If they made that mechanic again, but with the need of ALL party members using the vortexes at the same time to bring down a shield on the boss, that would already be awesome.

You mean those encounters where you have to forget about the game’s actual combat style and just press 1 button? those are the mechanics you found great?

When you are only pressing 1 you are being carried, or a necro ( LB, dagger #1, Lich form 1 :p)

(edited by Vizardlorde.8243)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Elite specs aren’t catered to the small minority that is the forum-speakers, nor were they ever supposed to give every profession access to every role.

We don’t HAVE a role! That’s the problem!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Necromancer

Cogbyrn.7283

Who, and why? I don’t believe 99.9% of the things said on the forums.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I don’t see why any of the changes we’ve seen so far would affect our position in WvW. If anything if this spec gives us CC protection we might be included in the hammer train.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

(edited by Bhawb.7408)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

……I love the elite spec, don’t care if it doesn’t bring group support, and if I wanted to support my group, I wouldn’t be playing my Necro, I’d be playing my Guardian or Elementalist.

what you’re basically saying, is that its fine if necros don’t have a useful role in party/instanced pve content.

because currently, the other classes either surpass our dps potential while also providing superior support ( blocks, aegis, reflects, stealth, ally teleports, unique ally damage buffs, etc), or are close enough that the party support they bring more than makes up for lower damage potential.

that said, the traits and skills still need to be released, so there may end up being a place for the necro in a party….but to say their shouldn’t be is kinda silly and i’m sure not what Anet intended.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Darwec.3784

Darwec.3784

Pug groups dont care usually what class you bring unless you’re awful at dungeons. When you start running in organized groups though…

My guild doesnt refuse me when im on my necro, but they clearly prefer if i bring my phalanx / ele / guard. If someone in the group is pressed for time that day, they will ask me to switch. And that becomes annoying / insulting over time. People may keep quiet, but they dont want a necro in group. When I pug and a necro joins up, i automatically start judging them, even though im a necro myself. Its hard to be a good necro in PVE. its easy to be a terrible necro in PVE.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

I think he was jk?

Necromancer Main

in Necromancer

Vizardlorde.8243

I think he was jk?

Thank you I glad humor is not lost yet :p

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acheron.3640

Acheron.3640

Why does everyone say Necromancer can’t be a support, with me around stuff dies so much faster because of all the marks I drop. As much damage as I do to groups/big bosses I am a huge support, plus I’m durable enough to go fight along side warriors and all the heavy armored classes. Well of blood pulls conditions off of my allies; I am a huge support in groups.

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Why does everyone say Necromancer can’t be a support, with me around stuff dies so much faster because of all the marks I drop. As much damage as I do to groups/big bosses I am a huge support, plus I’m durable enough to go fight along side warriors and all the heavy armored classes. Well of blood pulls conditions off of my allies; I am a huge support in groups.

I don’t even know where to start. Or was this post intended as satire?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acheron.3640

Acheron.3640

I play as a condition based Necro, I put a lot of damage through the conditions I drop. Not to mention using a axe/focus when it comes down to close range fighting(Ergo my power being one of my primary stats).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Why is every one so bugged out by being useful in obsolete content; perhaps you’re not aware that ANet hasn’t developed and new Fractals/Paths for over a year, and none are on the table for HoT because they gutted the team months ago. This specialization is being designed for new open world group encounters.

in Necromancer

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Why do you care if you get any team support if the hot content will be just an open world where it virtually doesn’t matter what you play as long as you like it?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Why is every one so bugged out by being useful in obsolete content; perhaps you’re not aware that ANet hasn’t developed and new Fractals/Paths for over a year, and none are on the table for HoT because they gutted the team months ago. This specialization is being designed for new open world group encounters.

Dungeons and fractals are obsolete? That’s news to me.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Necromancer

Oldirtbeard.9834

Apparently you’re living in the past, please provide an ANet link for me that talks about any exciting new developments regarding instanced content?

in Necromancer

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Apparently you’re living in the past, please provide an ANet link for me that talks about any exciting new developments regarding instanced content?

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how a lack of stated updates means that dungeons and fractals are vanishing, or will stop being run.

in Necromancer

Oldirtbeard.9834

They are not being developed, the team has been gutted, challenging content is being developed for the Jungle using new AI and mechanics, why would the old meta have a place any more in the new PVE?

I’m sure there are hobbiests that will continue to run obsolete content that’s no longer in development but I would hope my Reaper will be more relevant in group content in the jungle.

in Necromancer

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

How does the new content being different from dungeons make dungeons obsolete? I’m not seeing the connection here.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

We known for 3y that Necro dosent offer grp-support in any other form then maybe applying Vun. to targets, we also known that Anet wants it this way. Necromancer by lore is a selfish/evil routed character not just in Gw2 but thro all games, books etc. A change to this concept is unlikely, so why demand it ?

I guess those that do Dungeons/PvE content suffer for Necro not haveing this support but as I said 3y is plenty of time to make a desicion on your main profession and if that is indeed your game-content preference it must have bin more easy for you all to long ago change class rather then to change “the Class”.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Necromancer by lore is a selfish/evil routed character not just in Gw2 but thro all games, books etc.

This is factually wrong, as anyone who has played Guild Wars 1 can tell you.

In fact, it is wrong on two counts. Necromancers in Guild Wars are not evil, and in GW1 they were also not selfish.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nick.9572

Nick.9572

Then you, fine sir, haven’t played Necro a lot. At least outside of maybe Ascalon Catacombs. Sure, up to CoF you usually find half “no necro” groups and half that don’t give a kitten, but try finding a group for Arah with randoms(and actually complete it) as a Necromancer. It took me like 6 hours or more, because there half is “selling dungeon path”, and another 40% is “only meta exp 5k AP +!!!!111!!1” , or “no necro”, or “gearcheck only meta”, or “zerker only!”, or simply joina group that doesn’T state these things and gets instantly kicked.

The only reason i managed to get a run done, was because of an extremely chilled guardian and ele duo that made a full clear of path 1. Meaning killing every single mob in the entire dungeon, instead of cornerstacking and skipping 80% of the run.

If you can’t finish arah with a necro, that sounds like a personal problem. I’m a casual dungeon runner and I’ve finished it with my micro plenty of times.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

Necromancer by lore is a selfish/evil routed character not just in Gw2 but thro all games, books etc.

This is factually wrong, as anyone who has played Guild Wars 1 can tell you.

In fact, it is wrong on two counts. Necromancers in Guild Wars are not evil, and in GW1 they were also not selfish.

I played Gw1 and Necro, but that is NOT the standard of necromancer and look at the names of the skills and you know exactly what i ment. Take referance from RifT,LotR, and other fan fiction its NOT represented as a servant of Good is it ?

Also the concept of your own little “team” as in Gw1 isnt here anymore, you known this for 3y aswell.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I played Gw1 and Necro, but that is NOT the standard of necromancer and look at the names of the skills and you know exactly what i ment. Take referance from RifT,LotR, and other fan fiction its NOT represented as a servant of Good is it ?

You said that the necromancer is evil by lore. That means Guild Wars lore. And that is simply not true. Anet’s portrayal of the necromancer is the only one that is relevant here. The necromancer is not by definition evil. The skills all have fearsome/scary names, dealing with corruption and darkness. But again, this does not make the necromancer herself evil. It just makes her a little bit scary. In fact, even in GW2 the personal story shows how necromancers fulfill an important role in society, where they talk to the dead, and help people overcome grief for the deceased.

Also the concept of your own little “team” as in Gw1 isnt here anymore, you known this for 3y aswell.

Irrelevant. You said by lore. The lore, is that the necromancer used to assist his team mates, and now he doesn’t. If you are going to bring up lore, you had better get your lore right.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Wishmaster.7693

Wishmaster.7693

Cause I don’t think they did

“Combat in Guild Wars 2 is built around three facets: damage, control and support. Damage is simply decreasing the enemy’s health, control is preventing the enemy from doing what it wants, and support consists of working together with allies. Each profession is able to perform any of these roles.” – Arenanet, 2012.

in Necromancer

Shiki.7148

No, the idea sure needs work, but if it was used,as i said, to take down a shield from the boss instead of dealing damage, after which he can be attacked by conventional means (but still retains his damage field so you have to do those coloured pillar things too, and only for 2-3 players so they cannot stack), it would already be more interesting than a lot of common dungeon bosses. Read the whole thing, not just the wheeny part of it that jumps your eye.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Shame on all those dungeon runners that just want to fill a viable role unique to the Necromancer! According to the OP and his followers, you are just a minority! The majority of players would take a Necro over any other profession in their Dungeon group any day. Pft, Necromancers always be unhappy with what they get apparently. Anet says you need slow-hitting big damage with chill and pulls to keep players, I mean uh npc enemies from running away from you. Trust Anet, they here for you. ;P

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Necromancer

Posted by: Balekai.6083

Balekai.6083

Shame on all those dungeon runners that just want to fill a viable role unique to the Necromancer! According to the OP and his followers, you are just a minority! The majority of players would take a Necro over any other profession in their Dungeon group any day. Pft, Necromancers always be unhappy with what they get apparently. Anet says you need slow-hitting big damage with chill and pulls to keep players, I mean uh npc enemies from running away from you. Trust Anet, they here for you. ;P

That’s not what people are saying. They’re saying that although that was an issue and remains an issue, its less important now.

Why?

Because all the new rewards, new legendaries, new materials and new AI/PvE mechanics will likely have nothing to do or nothing in common with old dungeon content (Hopefully). So if a new meta (or no real meta) develops they would rather have a class that plays unique in the new content and is still useful, than be designed to fulfill a role that other classes already fill (and would still fill better since its their focus) in old near obsolete content.

There’s always been two camps in my opinion on Necro changes for PvE:

1. Give Necros more access to things other classes do that fit the zerker meta (Might Stacks, Fire Combo fields (?), Stealth (?), more Finishers Cleave, higher DPS) so we can do Speedruns which are/were the highest PvE content.

2. Make Necros stronger at what they were originally designed for and change PvE mechanics and AI to accommodate Necro support.

Were getting a bit of both if HoT news and the new Reaper spec are anything to go by. The problem with group 1. is that the most high end content is no longer dungeons and there will likely be no speedrun HoT content. The closest thing will be additional fractals (a big maybe). The second problem is that we can’t be on par with other classes matching their form of support. As I said if we all of sudden matched other professions in Might Stacking, Reflects and other things, Necros could become “the only” meta since we would have all that plus our unique support.

Due to that logic Anet would never buff us to be on par and we would never be good enough. The situation with Necros being excluded from speedruns would still persist. So going with mostly group 2. (making the meta fit necros, not necros fit the meta) may be easier for Anet and more appealing to all players as content is made more challenging and interactive. Classes can be designed to have completely different ways of delivering support, damage and cc without being looked down upon for doing so.

(edited by Balekai.6083)