Difference between sPvP and Roam builds?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drag.7581

Drag.7581

Hey,

TLDR:

1. What’s the fundamental difference between WvW solo roam builds and sPvP builds?
2. can I use a sPvP build with some tweaks (in this case traveler runes for mobility) for solo Roaming viably?

So I’m pretty new to the game; and I’m mainly interested in pvp.
I was looking at necro builds on metabattle and i noticed there is a different section for solo roaming and for conquest.

So what’s the main difference between WvW roam builds and spvp builds? from what I understand, Mobility is extra important in WvW?

At the moment I’m using this build for sPvP:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Standard_Power_Necro
and I’ve been doing fine with it these past few days so I want to take it to WvW and roam with it; (planning to use traveler runes for more mobility),
so is there anything fundamentally wrong about using the said build for solo roam?

this is the power roaming build posted on metabattle:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_D/D_Power_Roamer
and I’ve noticed it has different traits and different weapons and runes and everything; so why are these two builds so different?

Ty in advance <3

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

1. What’s the fundamental difference between WvW solo roam builds and sPvP builds?

Imo there is non for necros.
You have access to more and a wider variety of gear in WvW, I suppose that’s why there has to be a distinction between the two game modes on metabattle.

But unlike other classes we don’t have builds that only work in sPvP or WvW, like turret engis or thieves who rely on high stealth uptime.

2. can I use a sPvP build with some tweaks (in this case traveler runes for mobility) for solo Roaming viably?

Yes you can, but necros are the slowest class no matter what skills or gear they use, so don’t try to be faster at the cost of being weaker.

in Necromancer

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Main differences are: lack of capture points in WvW. They also have access to food and higher stats.

In Conquest capture points obviously affect the builds. A necromancer Well can cover an entire point, and it’s a very strong AoE, but at least 1 enemy is forced to tank it unless they are willing to give you the decap/cap. In WvW roaming, enemies have no reason to stay in your wells, and that’s why that build replaced them.

The reasons behind trait differences is the same – because of capture points, team fights in small areas occur often, and with Unyielding Blast you can hit multiple foes with 1 autoattack, upping your AoE a bit. It has its uses in 1v1s too, mostly against mesmers.

in Necromancer

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Main differences are: lack of capture points in WvW. They also have access to food and higher stats.

In Conquest capture points obviously affect the builds. A necromancer Well can cover an entire point, and it’s a very strong AoE, but at least 1 enemy is forced to tank it unless they are willing to give you the decap/cap. In WvW roaming, enemies have no reason to stay in your wells, and that’s why that build replaced them.

The reasons behind trait differences is the same – because of capture points, team fights in small areas occur often, and with Unyielding Blast you can hit multiple foes with 1 autoattack, upping your AoE a bit. It has its uses in 1v1s too, mostly against mesmers.

i find wells are just as effective in wvw as they are in spvp. Like you said about pvp, a well on a capture point either denies the enemy the cap or makes them sit in it. In wvw, if your in a zerg, most folks wont see a well with all the other red circles/aoe spewed about.

And if you get in a 1v1 when roaming, dagger 3 can effective plant someone in a well quite well

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

For power necro there isn’t much difference between the two modes at all. For condi I always find myself more willing to take traits like dhuumfire over sustain traits because it’s so easy to get life force in WvW.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

WvW zerg and siege support can make very good use of wells but that is not a roaming build. A full wells zerg build is vulnerable out of position but you can retrait to a PvP build OOC.

Just use sPvP for roaming.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Spvp builds are fine in wvw. Powermancers can just toss on some traveler runes or roll pack runes with a warhorn. Bam, mobility. Condi can roll a warhorn too if you want, up to you. I’ve had no trouble with any though I don’t wvw as much as I pvp.

Säïnt

in Necromancer

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

You can pretty much keep the same gear for a zerg well build and swap a few utilities and traits around and have a roaming build. However, the lack of necro mobility might get you killed. As suggested previously, with a warhorn and pack runes you can achieve almost perma swiftness. For disengaging there’s always the flesh wurm you can summon and teleport to. Aside from sPvP bunker builds, most PvP builds are viable (with some tweaks) for roaming in WvW since they were designed for small scale combat.

Jade Quarry since Beta

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

You could use more mobility in WvW roaming, generally slotting Plague as elite, should expect more condi bunkers, be aware of zergs, you can equip Dire for condi and mix stats for power. You also are likely to use other runes than Nightmare.

^WvW

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

In WvW I take spectral attunement and spectral mastery with Spectral walk and wall. Together with warhorn and wurm, I’ve been able to out-juke/run most people. Unless they are realllyyy persistent thiefs who will blow all their initiative on SB #5.
Add in perplex runes and you still pack a punch

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯